ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #241
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins13 View Post
Little bikes bore me. I want some throttle when I turn it. Is it really fun to ride if your not somewhat scared? Call that cruisin and thats a whole different style. A heavy 250 wr would just be boring as hell for me. To each their own. A 4-stroke 650 is no comparison to a 2 stroke 750. Much mellower and still all the balls you need to make yourself scared. Enjoy your little bikes. But dont question why some like bigger bikes. Hell I question why a normal size or bigger man would wanna ride something so weak? Of course my favorite bike I owned was a kx 500 with 65 hp stock. Damn that thing was fun and scary as hell. My lc4 640 is by far the funnest ride Ive owned. Not a ktm fanatic either. Just really impressed with my bike. Ride more, and dont ever become closed minded. You never know what you might learn if you just open up to new ideas sometimes? We can all learn more. These are my opinions not meant to offend anyone, so no need to rip me a new one. I love to hear good info tho.
Nice discussion. Good question- " I question why a normal size or bigger man would wanna ride something so weak? " Because of all I have said, it is so good in the tight and steep and pulls really well, have seen it out climb 'better' motos with my big carcass riding it....

So basically, I wanted something easy and safe to ride in the beautiful mountains that was more comfy than my trials-y Reflex. And it surprised even me how quickly that thing can go in the tight and narrow- with such low HP. I was surprised on the WABDR how easy and safe it is to have enough power, but not so much to roost, slide, get too far into corners. I have a lot of fun getting it up to speed and keeping it going with finesse. And I really like it just trying all sort of terrain without fear like having a big tall and $$ moto...I have dropped it hard twice in 7000 miles.It will be interesting next July when the snow is gone to go ride the mountain trails and see how it is the the wind-up HP WRR compared to the little dog tractor. I can probably leave my ass on the seat more since the WRR has x 2 the suspension!
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:56 PM   #242
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
everetto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Central New Mexico
Oddometer: 324
All I want is a bike that will do 90-100mph all day long in comfort with no vibration and loaded down with all my gear (500 mile days minimum), that will do all the Colorado passes with ease, and that will come close to the 2 stroke open class bike I used to desert race in the handling department, that weighs around 300 lbs.

Am I asking too much? Really?
everetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #243
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
All I want is a bike that will do 90-100mph all day long in comfort with no vibration and loaded down with all my gear (500 mile days minimum), that will do all the Colorado passes with ease, and that will come close to the 2 stroke open class bike I used to desert race in the handling department, that weighs around 300 lbs.

Am I asking too much? Really?
Turbo'd WR250R with sorted suspension.

Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM   #244
ADVNCW OP
Banned
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: Leavenworth, WA- in the mountains!
Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
All I want is a bike that will do 90-100mph all day long in comfort with no vibration and loaded down with all my gear (500 mile days minimum), that will do all the Colorado passes with ease, and that will come close to the 2 stroke open class bike I used to desert race in the handling department, that weighs around 300 lbs.

Am I asking too much? Really?
Yankee 500 with modern suspension?

ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #245
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
All I want is a bike that will do 90-100mph all day long in comfort with no vibration and loaded down with all my gear (500 mile days minimum), that will do all the Colorado passes with ease, and that will come close to the 2 stroke open class bike I used to desert race in the handling department, that weighs around 300 lbs.

Am I asking too much? Really?
For one bike,yeah,you are asking too much. 4 bikes are about the bare minimum for a decent quiver of highly necessary toys. Mine are all used fairly often and they are all widely different from each other.
1. 300KTM for full on grin a second singletrack riding. 80 miles last weekend on it. Epic.

2. 650 DR for long dirt trips or coastal super-moto riding with it's street wheels on it.

3. 530 KTM for long desert trips,its so plush and fast and nice,had to have it.

4. Triumph 1200 Trophy for long street rides and it doubles as a big sport bike when needed,its a blast!

None were bought new,all work great. I would like to get another 200KTM at some point,they just work!
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM   #246
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Yankee 500 with modern suspension?

90 to 100mph all day.............That requirement aces out many medium size bikes. A 2 stroke 500 twin would be neat though. Ive cruise my DR at 80 and 90 for hours at a time,it is unfazed.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #247
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
Because some people can, and make it look easy.
Not many though,Ive ridden dirt for ever and big bikes are big. No 2 ways about it. Sure they're fun and lots of wheel spinning horse power is also fun. They used to ride big bikes in Dakar,now they go just as fast on 450's for the most part,light is right for a serious dirt guy.
If its just a dirt road then any bike will work,even on a rough dirt road a street bike can be hustled along just fine.
For actual off road dirt riding where mud/trees/rocks/swamps/steep hills with ruts and deep water big bikes dont fit so well.
An expert can ride anything anywhere,for the most part.
Very few of us are experts. Not many GS's finish Erzeberg.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #248
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,385
I don't see the need for a lot of power (off road) when you have gears. My XT225 will climb anything, just not real fast. But it's low seat height and light weight are what make it such a great trail bike. It has a top speed of over 70 mph on flat roads, way more than you need on dirt. I have owned 2 KLR650s, both first gen models, and they are barely fast enough for the freeway. But they are big and heavy and awkward in the dirt. If you want to ride on paved roads, get a cruiser. Most comfortable bikes made. If you want to ride local dirt roads and trails, get a 250 sized dual sport, and get the suspension sorted out. If you want to ride to Prudhoe Bay or the tip of South America, then get a 650 dual sport. I have no idea what those big BMWs and KTMs are for, many people have ridden from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego on 650s with no problems at all. And unlike the BMW 1200GS, the final drives don't fail. I don't know what the roads are like in South and Central America, but some guys (and Jamie Elvidge) from Motorcycle Cruiser rode from LA to Prudhoe Bay and back on large touring cruisers (a Harley Ultra Classic, a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, and a Honda Valkyrie Interstate) and back with no problems. So you can pretty much ride what you want. I like the smaller bikes myself. If you are 6'6" and weigh 300 pounds, maybe you need a 650. I ride for fun, not to impress anyone, or stroke my ego.
__________________
2002 Vulcan 750 (being repaired, engine has to come out) 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
2012 Zuma 125, 1980 Puch moped
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:54 AM   #249
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...
 
bobnoxious67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Marion, MA
Oddometer: 2,208
Yet another personal opinion heard from
__________________
"turn it on man, turn it on-whatever, whoever you are-TURN THE FAWKER ON!" -Herbert Foster Gunnison
01 Girlie
09 F800GS
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #250
everetto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
everetto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Central New Mexico
Oddometer: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
For one bike,yeah,you are asking too much. 4 bikes are about the bare minimum for a decent quiver of highly necessary toys. Mine are all used fairly often and they are all widely different from each other.
1. 300KTM for full on grin a second singletrack riding. 80 miles last weekend on it. Epic.

2. 650 DR for long dirt trips or coastal super-moto riding with it's street wheels on it.

3. 530 KTM for long desert trips,its so plush and fast and nice,had to have it.

4. Triumph 1200 Trophy for long street rides and it doubles as a big sport bike when needed,its a blast!

None were bought new,all work great. I would like to get another 200KTM at some point,they just work!
Nice stable you have there. Here's the really tough question - if you could only have ONE bike what would it be?

I am really attracted to the 690R myself and may try to add one some time this next year.
everetto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #251
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer
 
WRW9751's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Ankeny Iowa
Oddometer: 318
1. Yamaha Super Tenere 2012 (Did 3400 miles in Oct. in the Rockies this year) Great bike!
2. KTM 690 Duke 2010 mostly for fun. Will put a grin on any ones face!
3. Triumph T160 R ( Classy Classic)

After spending 10 days in the Rockies this year, with another S/10 and a GSA, I would like something a little more single track oriented. I'm think'n KTM 500 exc. The Yamaha did so many things well that it's hard to move off of it. The things it doesn't do to good are sand and mud. You can get away with both if your not carrying much but loaded with camping gear it's over the top. I would consider KTM's 350 exc. I'm not light and don't want to be short on power. There is only 11pounds of difference.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #252
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: On a RTW ride - currently Central Asia
Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't see the need for a lot of power (off road) when you have gears. My XT225 will climb anything, just not real fast. But it's low seat height and light weight are what make it such a great trail bike. It has a top speed of over 70 mph on flat roads, way more than you need on dirt. I have owned 2 KLR650s, both first gen models, and they are barely fast enough for the freeway. But they are big and heavy and awkward in the dirt. If you want to ride on paved roads, get a cruiser. Most comfortable bikes made. If you want to ride local dirt roads and trails, get a 250 sized dual sport, and get the suspension sorted out. If you want to ride to Prudhoe Bay or the tip of South America, then get a 650 dual sport. I have no idea what those big BMWs and KTMs are for, many people have ridden from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego on 650s with no problems at all. And unlike the BMW 1200GS, the final drives don't fail. I don't know what the roads are like in South and Central America, but some guys (and Jamie Elvidge) from Motorcycle Cruiser rode from LA to Prudhoe Bay and back on large touring cruisers (a Harley Ultra Classic, a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, and a Honda Valkyrie Interstate) and back with no problems. So you can pretty much ride what you want. I like the smaller bikes myself. If you are 6'6" and weigh 300 pounds, maybe you need a 650. I ride for fun, not to impress anyone, or stroke my ego.

You are calling the XT225 "light" yet there are bikes with 3x the power that weigh the same. And while light weight is good, to have fun I want to have power and good suspension, too. Wide ratio 6-speed, long lasting reliable engines, big enough stators, FI,....

You need to go ride a Husaberg FE570 or a 500 EXC and then come back to tell us what you think of your XT. It simply is a completely different experience, I recommend you try it out.
__________________
RTW trip blog: https://www.facebook.com/AroundTheWorldWithLukasM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:51 PM   #253
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 6,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't see the need for a lot of power (off road) when you have gears. My XT225 will climb anything, just not real fast. But it's low seat height and light weight are what make it such a great trail bike. It has a top speed of over 70 mph on flat roads, way more than you need on dirt. I have owned 2 KLR650s, both first gen models, and they are barely fast enough for the freeway. But they are big and heavy and awkward in the dirt. If you want to ride on paved roads, get a cruiser. Most comfortable bikes made. If you want to ride local dirt roads and trails, get a 250 sized dual sport, and get the suspension sorted out. If you want to ride to Prudhoe Bay or the tip of South America, then get a 650 dual sport. I have no idea what those big BMWs and KTMs are for, many people have ridden from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego on 650s with no problems at all. And unlike the BMW 1200GS, the final drives don't fail. I don't know what the roads are like in South and Central America, but some guys (and Jamie Elvidge) from Motorcycle Cruiser rode from LA to Prudhoe Bay and back on large touring cruisers (a Harley Ultra Classic, a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, and a Honda Valkyrie Interstate) and back with no problems. So you can pretty much ride what you want. I like the smaller bikes myself. If you are 6'6" and weigh 300 pounds, maybe you need a 650. I ride for fun, not to impress anyone, or stroke my ego.
You do realize this site is aimed at the all roads motorcycle touring crowd don't you?

I have tried traveling on a KLX250, and once you put some luggage on it, it is a slow ride anywhere.

I bought a 91 DR650 to replace it after I blew the KLX up (between 50000 and 60000 Klms) and found it much more practical for tackling out back roads with a load on.

I replaced the 250s engine with 300 and found it preferable to the DR on tighter gravel, but it was still way to slow for faster gravel stretches.

I have a 640 Adventure now, and even on that I find I'm stretching the throttle cable searching for more speed.

I have ridden with a lot of guys who ride 950/990s and they definitely enjoy the extra power, and they can get those big girls to some incredible places.

We aren't all old farts on here who enjoy puttering around at a snails pace enjoying the scenery, some of us like to get out there and use the bikes like they were intended to be used.

I'd rather forgo the sight seeing and get a thousand Ks for the day because I just love riding the things much more than just sitting on the thing all day.

But each to there own, I can see the attraction in doing the slow touring, but it is just not for me.
__________________
tEAM iDIOT.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #254
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by everetto View Post
Nice stable you have there. Here's the really tough question - if you could only have ONE bike what would it be?

I am really attracted to the 690R myself and may try to add one some time this next year.
That would be real hard,I like dirt the most,technical singletrack in particular and for me 2 strokes are the way to do it.
Then the mood to hit the horizon 500 miles away comes up and the 1200 Triumph just flat works.The DR has been sitting too much since the 530 showed up so it would go away first at this point.
For a 4 day fast moving Nevada desert trip the 530 is the bomb. Kinda need em all.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #255
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
You do realize this site is aimed at the all roads motorcycle touring crowd don't you?

I have tried traveling on a KLX250, and once you put some luggage on it, it is a slow ride anywhere.

I bought a 91 DR650 to replace it after I blew the KLX up (between 50000 and 60000 Klms) and found it much more practical for tackling out back roads with a load on.

I replaced the 250s engine with 300 and found it preferable to the DR on tighter gravel, but it was still way to slow for faster gravel stretches.

I have a 640 Adventure now, and even on that I find I'm stretching the throttle cable searching for more speed.

I have ridden with a lot of guys who ride 950/990s and they definitely enjoy the extra power, and they can get those big girls to some incredible places.

We aren't all old farts on here who enjoy puttering around at a snails pace enjoying the scenery, some of us like to get out there and use the bikes like they were intended to be used.

I'd rather forgo the sight seeing and get a thousand Ks for the day because I just love riding the things much more than just sitting on the thing all day.

But each to there own, I can see the attraction in doing the slow touring, but it is just not for me.
I agree,I know theres a lot of guys who really like loading down a 250 4 stroke and riding for days,Im just not one of them.
Heavy load,steep hills,low hp amounts just arent it for me.
Then the fact that most of them weigh 300lbs just with gas is kinda wonky. The new Honda 250 dual sport is 320lbs with gas. Its cheap sure,and maybe ok for beginner who likes real heavy slow bikes,just not for me.
Im sure it will have a strong following on here with millions spent on farkles.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014