Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:49 PM   #106
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,469
If you like your 230L why not just buy a 250L? Better power, less expensive, better brakes, better suspension. Seems you already know Honda, so why not stick with it?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #107
mefadv
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
Thanks.It looks like you have a XR400R? Looks optimal for what I would want for some adventure routes! Good weight, good stock gas tank, but what is your MPG?

The XR400R is what, 20 lbs lighter than the new CRF250L? Frustruating that such good motorcycles were available in the past and now...lots of heavy pig bikes and unreliable light high-performance bikes.

General information
Model: Honda XR 400 R
Year: 2002
Category: Cross / motocross
Rating: 69.6 out of 100. Show full rating and compare with other bikes
Engine and transmission
Displacement: 397.00 ccm (24.22 cubic inches)
Engine type: Single cylinder, four-stroke
Compression: 9.3:1
Bore x stroke: 85.0 x 70.0 mm (3.3 x 2.8 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel control: SOHC
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Chain
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Front suspension travel: 279 mm (11.0 inches)
Rear suspension travel: 300 mm (11.8 inches)
Front tyre dimensions: 80/100-21
Rear tyre dimensions: 110/100-18
Front brakes: Single disc
Rear brakes: Single disc
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight: 116.6 kg (257.1 pounds)
Seat height: 930 mm (36.6 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Ground clearance: 310 mm (12.2 inches)
Wheelbase: 1,425 mm (56.1 inches)
Fuel capacity: 11.40 litres (3.01 gallons)
Reserve fuel capacity: 1.80 litres (0.48 gallons)

Not long ago I was making some of the same assumptions as you are... XR400 perfect for dual-sporting. Able to carry a load, more than ample power for an ol' guy, great fuel milage (58 to 74), ease of maintance, vast supply of add-ons, etc. etc. etc.
A tusk dual-sport kit made the street legal issue easy. Bar risers/forward made the cockpit more to my like'n. There is a "kick starting" procedure that you must follow each and every time or you will really cuss the li'l bitch.
However the one thing that I continue to work on is that "she's" long legged ! ! ! I'm one of those who is somewhat inseamed challenged at 30". I have an ongoing affair with my seat foam, I strip her and go at it every once in a while. Got it pretty good now but took a while. Even tried a Seat Concepts setup but that did not suit my style of riding,(however wonderful for a long road trip) which I do not do.
But... one of the inmates I met here just got a new CRF250L and I can't wait to see it in action. That magic-button would be delightful sometimes. However that also comes with those gagets such as EFI & watercooling.
Wow... Have I gone onnnnn & onnnnn. ADVNCW, I suppose there are too many options.

Old 10-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #108
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by acesandeights View Post
If you like your 230L why not just buy a 250L? Better power, less expensive, better brakes, better suspension. Seems you already know Honda, so why not stick with it?
THE WEIGHT! 317lbs!

With mods and after spending $1500 from what I read you can get the 250L weight down 15lbs. But It will still have suspension and performance less than the WR250R. So yea, I have had Honda for my last two rides, I like the engineering and local support. But not a viable option for what I want.

I think I would prefer to put a DS kit on a CRF250X plus a gas tank over a 250L- then again, for less than that is the WR250R. I liked my IT490, Yamahas are ok.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 01:12 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #109
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefyj View Post
Not long ago I was making some of the same assumptions as you are... XR400 perfect for dual-sporting. Able to carry a load, more than ample power for an ol' guy, great fuel milage (58 to 74), ease of maintance, vast supply of add-ons, etc. etc. etc.
A tusk dual-sport kit made the street legal issue easy. Bar risers/forward made the cockpit more to my like'n. There is a "kick starting" procedure that you must follow each and every time or you will really cuss the li'l bitch.
However the one thing that I continue to work on is that "she's" long legged ! ! ! I'm one of those who is somewhat inseamed challenged at 30". I have an ongoing affair with my seat foam, I strip her and go at it every once in a while. Got it pretty good now but took a while. Even tried a Seat Concepts setup but that did not suit my style of riding,(however wonderful for a long road trip) which I do not do.
But... one of the inmates I met here just got a new CRF250L and I can't wait to see it in action. That magic-button would be delightful sometimes. However that also comes with those gagets such as EFI & watercooling.
Wow... Have I gone onnnnn & onnnnn. ADVNCW, I suppose there are too many options.

Except for the kick-starting description, I really like your motorcycle!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #110
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,067
You keep mentioning weight, but by the looks of the pics you have posted, you're loading your bike up with so much stuff that you should be wanting more carrying capacity.

That poor little thing must be a nightmare to ride the way it is packed.

But I own a couple of KTMs so I don't know what I'm talking about.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:22 PM   #111
itrack
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Quote:
THE WEIGHT! 317lbs!

With mods and after spending $1500 from what I read you can get the 250L weight down 15lbs. But It will still have suspension and performance less than the WR250R. So yea, I have had Honda for my last two rides, I like the engineering and local support. But not a viable option for what I want.

I think I would prefer to put a DS kit on a CRF250X plus a gas tank over a 250L- then again, for less than that is the WR250R. I liked my IT490, Yamahas are ok.
Lol, I feel coming from a street tagged CRF230F to a CRF250L I am more than qualified to reply to this post. First to start off the CRF230L has even worse suspension than the 230F. I loved my little 230F with Mike Coe jetting, shinko 244's, taller gearing, tusk guards, polisport led headlight, etc was a great bike. The problem I was having was not that I couldn't go anywhere my buddies could but that I was getting beat to death by that suspension and vibrated terriblly road riding. The CRF250L while being slightly larger of a bike due to the radiators is a joy to ride everywhere, even on rough rocky trails. The small weight increase is not felt on the street and is just slightly noticed on those really tight tough sub 5mph sections of single track. You feel that you have the perfect bike for you and thats great. For the $1600 I had in my tagged CRF230F it was the best dual sport for that price in my opinion. Please dont just read a spec on a bike and go "too heavy" "not enough power" "gas tank too small" read what the owners are saying. Too many guys on this forum are spec snobs. Go drive something before you go bashing it.

To the topic at hand. In my opinion any bike that gets you off the slab is a win in my book, there is no perfect bike. Could some guys benefit from a smaller bike, sure. Could others benefit from a larger bike, sure. What ever bike gets you out riding the most, than that is the best bike for you.
itrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:06 PM   #112
pjturbo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
[

Phil I see you live near Pugetopolis. I spent time as a smoke refugee (major fires 50k acres in my county, could not see the sun!) two weeks ago and went from Naches Pass through Seattle for a REI stop, to the ferry out to the coast twice. Sure is a longer trip on the 230L when taking the route to avoid the I-90. I-5, and I-405! But I must say that in that nice clear weather western WA is quite beautiful![/QUOTE]

I'm in Denver visiting friends. (Did not bring the bike, brought the wife instead). It was smokey all the way from Cle Elm to the Columbia at Umatilla. Not a good time to ride the mountains. Although I like my XT I would likd a bike with better, ie. adjustable, suspension. I think from the info I've been able to get from the web the KTM Freeride 350 would suit either of us. That is if KTM brings it to the US. Well, we have winter to decide what to do.

Phil

PS; I'm in Des Monies, just south of Sea Tac airport.
pjturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #113
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
You keep mentioning weight, but by the looks of the pics you have posted, you're loading your bike up with so much stuff that you should be wanting more carrying capacity.

That poor little thing must be a nightmare to ride the way it is packed.

But I own a couple of KTMs so I don't know what I'm talking about.
Missed your chance, you could have taken a shot at my size.

You have not been paying attention, so you live up to the descriptor of yourself, and you probably do not want serious discussion. Seems like you want to flip some guff.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 03:18 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 03:17 PM   #114
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrack View Post
Lol, I feel coming from a street tagged CRF230F to a CRF250L I am more than qualified to reply to this post. First to start off the CRF230L has even worse suspension than the 230F. I loved my little 230F with Mike Coe jetting, shinko 244's, taller gearing, tusk guards, polisport led headlight, etc was a great bike. The problem I was having was not that I couldn't go anywhere my buddies could but that I was getting beat to death by that suspension and vibrated terriblly road riding. The CRF250L while being slightly larger of a bike due to the radiators is a joy to ride everywhere, even on rough rocky trails. The small weight increase is not felt on the street and is just slightly noticed on those really tight tough sub 5mph sections of single track. You feel that you have the perfect bike for you and thats great. For the $1600 I had in my tagged CRF230F it was the best dual sport for that price in my opinion. Please dont just read a spec on a bike and go "too heavy" "not enough power" "gas tank too small" read what the owners are saying. Too many guys on this forum are spec snobs. Go drive something before you go bashing it.

To the topic at hand. In my opinion any bike that gets you off the slab is a win in my book, there is no perfect bike. Could some guys benefit from a smaller bike, sure. Could others benefit from a larger bike, sure. What ever bike gets you out riding the most, than that is the best bike for you.
Really good information, good points, thanks for taking the time!

I just rode up a dirt road from town and went for a jog up a NM trail. As they say, 1/2 worn D606 really cause vibration!

Just now my thoughts were either I will change handlebars/ grips/ gloves and add a anti vibration device. Then haul the 230L over for the CDR next August. Or I will go ahead and get the WR250R by next spring and set it up for the CDR and other trips in the future....
Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #115
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjturbo View Post
[

Phil I see you live near Pugetopolis. I spent time as a smoke refugee (major fires 50k acres in my county, could not see the sun!) two weeks ago and went from Naches Pass through Seattle for a REI stop, to the ferry out to the coast twice. Sure is a longer trip on the 230L when taking the route to avoid the I-90. I-5, and I-405! But I must say that in that nice clear weather western WA is quite beautiful!
I'm in Denver visiting friends. (Did not bring the bike, brought the wife instead). It was smokey all the way from Cle Elm to the Columbia at Umatilla. Not a good time to ride the mountains. Although I like my XT I would likd a bike with better, ie. adjustable, suspension. I think from the info I've been able to get from the web the KTM Freeride 350 would suit either of us. That is if KTM brings it to the US. Well, we have winter to decide what to do.

Phil

PS; I'm in Des Monies, just south of Sea Tac airport.[/QUOTE]

The smoke is gone, my daughter has her XC run race in Leavenworth in a few minutes.Her races were cancelled for 3 weeks because of smoke. Cashmere schools were cancelled for about a week because of smoke. The worst I have ever seen, 50,000 acres around here on fire and high pressure holding the smoke in the valleys for two weeks!

Yes, I had interest in the Freeride 350. One comment online was that it was 'about the size of a CRF230'!

The thought that I am forming from reading forums and TRs is perhaps the WR250R is the best design for what I want to do. Funny how I have to convince myself. When I was young I would have thrown down for a KTM or BMW or something foolish- now that I have some $$ I do not tend to rush out to buy something....my wife has had an influence on me

I am thinking better suspension would be nice, I had some one time on my IT490
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #116
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
It seems I have hit a nerve? It's ok man, I still live in my parents basement, listen to a lot of Euro trash music and I have a very small penis. Now that this is out in the open let's leave your closed minded political BS aside and get back to discussing bikes.

In order for this argument to make any sense you are going to have to take the rider out of the equation. We all know that a better rider will trump a better bike each time, but that's not the point. Your skills are your skills, whether I am going to put you on a KTM or a 230L.

Let me ask again, have you tried out a modern 400-570 KTM/Husaberg/whatever performance off road bike? I don't think you have, because then you could not honestly tell me that you have more fun on your 230L. And you would not ask the question why many riders enjoy faster bikes on gravel and dirt routes.
The OP always does this when somebody types KTM He and Navin are best buddies on the Minimalist Touring Thread.

I like the topic, but ADVNCW, just because you started it doesn't mean you own or moderate it. When you ask for opinions, you get them, even if they are ones you don't agree with. You derail your own thread, which could be avoided by being a little less antagonistic, and telling people you disagree with to fuck off a bit more politely.

jon_l screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 04:02 PM
jon_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #117
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,067
Quote:
Missed your chance, you could have taken a shot at my size.

You have not been paying attention, so you live up to the descriptor of yourself, and you probably do not want serious discussion. Seems like you want to flip some guff.
No, I was being serious, learn to pack a bit lighter if you want to travel on a small bore, or atleast learn to pack better than in the pics.

If I was going to give you shit, I would ask if you can tell what a person is like just by what colour there skin is, where they are from, or what religon they are as well as you can by what bike they chose to ride?

I can see you have no interest in adding anything to ADV, except your narrow minded crap, so I look forward to seeing you're ass banned.

Should be very soon if you keep carrying on like that.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE (active and on a trip).
tHEtREV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #118
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
Well, having read this whole thread, I have seen some pretty good points for why people prefer big bikes. There has also been a bunch of arguing, which if you take the time to sort thru, has some valid points as well. I myself have decided to get a 350 EXC because I think it will be more than capable of doing what I want to do with it. Yes, I know it is a race bike with plates, but I don't really mind. Ever since I've been buying my own vehicles, I've always had performance at the top of my list. The reason I am getting this bike is so that I have something that I don't have to trailer (i.e. i won't disgrace my 240Z with a hitch). But I also want it to be able to keep up with my friends who have the full on race bikes when I go out with them. I understand that I won't be able to push it to it's limits at first and I may never push it to it's limits. But I perfer to know that I'm holding myself back as opposed to what I'm driving/riding. I for one don't care what anyone else chooses to ride.
Here is how it breaks down for me:
Does it affect me? No
Are they having fun? I don't care
Are they faster/slower than me? Again, I don't care
As long as I'm having fun, I have the right bike.
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #119
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,483
Quote:
hi, my name is "something un-original and unrecognizable if i actually show up at a rally or gathering" and I'm gonna reply to everything said to rack up my post count so I'll have internet street-cred
GTFO n00b
Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #120
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,039
The ANSWER!

Even looks good at Starbucks

MSRP: $10300
Wolfman System: $430
Tailbag System: $160
Tankbag: $120
Kouba Link 1": $150
Scotts Damper System: $560
Alaska Buttpad: $70
Touring Screen: $80
GPS Holder: $40
Enduro route holder: $30
2 Electrical Powerlet Outlets: $30
Tire spoons: $30
Elec air pump: $50
Torx kit: $30
Total: $12080 plus tax and tags

The most powerful production thumper made. Signature suspension. 313 lbs. Counterbalancer for that monster piston. Reasonably quiet. I don't know for sure, but my guess it can produce 1/4 mile times in the low twelves. Stonking fast.

Then of course it has the pretty trellis chassis with fine Italian parts hung on it. Such a beauty.

And she likes rock gardens!
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote