Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #121
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,881
Beautiful bike Pantah, and it looks well set-up. You don't note what it is. 500 EXC I assume?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM   #122
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonU View Post
Well, having read this whole thread, I have seen some pretty good points for why people prefer big bikes. There has also been a bunch of arguing, which if you take the time to sort thru, has some valid points as well. I myself have decided to get a 350 EXC because I think it will be more than capable of doing what I want to do with it. Yes, I know it is a race bike with plates, but I don't really mind. Ever since I've been buying my own vehicles, I've always had performance at the top of my list. The reason I am getting this bike is so that I have something that I don't have to trailer (i.e. i won't disgrace my 240Z with a hitch). But I also want it to be able to keep up with my friends who have the full on race bikes when I go out with them. I understand that I won't be able to push it to it's limits at first and I may never push it to it's limits. But I perfer to know that I'm holding myself back as opposed to what I'm driving/riding. I for one don't care what anyone else chooses to ride.
Here is how it breaks down for me:
Does it affect me? No
Are they having fun? I don't care
Are they faster/slower than me? Again, I don't care
As long as I'm having fun, I have the right bike.
Thanks, well-put. I hope to hear how it goes for that ride. Yep, like most riders I look at the 350EXC and admire it- but decided otherwise for various reasons. Have fun.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 05:39 PM
ADVNCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #123
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Even looks good at Starbucks

MSRP: $10300
Wolfman System: $430
Tailbag System: $160
Tankbag: $120
Kouba Link 1": $150
Scotts Damper System: $560
Alaska Buttpad: $70
Touring Screen: $80
GPS Holder: $40
Enduro route holder: $30
2 Electrical Powerlet Outlets: $30
Tire spoons: $30
Elec air pump: $50
Torx kit: $30
Total: $12080 plus tax and tags

The most powerful production thumper made. Signature suspension. 313 lbs. Counterbalancer for that monster piston. Reasonably quiet. I don't know for sure, but my guess it can produce 1/4 mile times in the low twelves. Stonking fast.

Then of course it has the pretty trellis chassis with fine Italian parts hung on it. Such a beauty.

And she likes rock gardens!
Nice. That would be a nice ADV rig for sure. Weighs less than a CRF250L! How is the gas mileage? I think that bike model has dominated Dakar races, is that correct?

You are making this decision more difficult! For a few more $$ hmm...

Nah, should probably stay small for my own safety! It is a miracle that I survived seven years riding a two-stroke 750 around the country!

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 08:59 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #124
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVNCW View Post
.... you probably do not want serious discussion. Seems like you want to flip some guff.
I have been dissing CRF250L the most- not really dissing the motorcycle KTM. But you do not see the CRF250L riders behaving and communicating like these certain crybabies!

It would be interesting to study the psychology of some guys who buy a certain brand of motorcycle have often similar antisocial behaviors and a surprisingly similar manner of written expression on this forum! Plenty of good folks have that brand of motorcycle and do not exhibit problem communication. But some often and habitually exhibit the same antisocial message style and content here.

It is fascinating tribal behavior now to observe discrete members of this tribe otherwise uninvolved start getting aggressive in communications, because someone else of the tribe had some words....

There is a lot of good discussion and thanks for that from everyone contributing that.

ADVNCW screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 06:09 PM
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #125
JonU
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
Beautiful bike Pantah, and it looks well set-up. You don't note what it is. 500 EXC I assume?
A little hard to read but if I read it correctly it is a 690 Enduro R
JonU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:31 PM   #126
acesandeights
Asperger

Oddometer: 3,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Even looks good at Starbucks

MSRP: $10300
Wolfman System: $430
Tailbag System: $160
Tankbag: $120
Kouba Link 1": $150
Scotts Damper System: $560
Alaska Buttpad: $70
Touring Screen: $80
GPS Holder: $40
Enduro route holder: $30
2 Electrical Powerlet Outlets: $30
Tire spoons: $30
Elec air pump: $50
Torx kit: $30
Total: $12080 plus tax and tags

The most powerful production thumper made. Signature suspension. 313 lbs. Counterbalancer for that monster piston. Reasonably quiet. I don't know for sure, but my guess it can produce 1/4 mile times in the low twelves. Stonking fast.

Then of course it has the pretty trellis chassis with fine Italian parts hung on it. Such a beauty.

And she likes rock gardens!
I'm not real good at identifying bikes, but is that the DR650 I've heard so much about?

I'll die with this hammer in my hand.
acesandeights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #127
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
jon - It is a 2012 KTM 690R, which is KTM's version of a Kaw KLR650. Not really a hard enduro, but not quite a cruiser either. It really is its own class.

Technically, it is a derivitive of earlier Dakar racers when they allowed the large displacements. It's light, but still too heavy to be a true enduro. So KTM softened some of its hard edges in 2012 to make it a true streetbike with great off road performance. That is why I bought it. I wanted my little Yamaha wr250r with more performance. I got a LOT more of that, but it isn't as friendly as my little Yam.

Beautiful machine, though. I love every inch of it. Gives me the shivvers...
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #128
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,240
Quote:
I have been dissing CRF250L the most- not really dissing Waaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaa Waaaaaaa!

I'm a whinny n00b and everyone should look at me!!!

Waaaaaa!!!!

There is a lot of good discussion and thanks for that from everyone contributing that.
Dude seriously.

n00bs have been saying the same crap you have been crying about since I have been here.

Trolling is neither original or funny.

It is obvious that you are new to riding after a long break and seem to have a real complex about your riding.

You probably think your riding should impress someone, but if you stick around for a while and actualy read some of this site, you will find we have some very talented riders, and some people who have done some truly awesome rides, as members.

But until then, please post a lot less...

Thanks.
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #129
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb

Quote:
Good general points. I paid $2900 for the little dog 230L in May perfect condition with 900 miles.

I have read about water pump failures on the WR250R, so a new one with Warranty may be best. Warranty especialy if I plan to go put lots of miles on the motorcycle traveling.

From what I have observed of guys riding DR 400s in the mountains, I would never have one. I would consider a DR650, great for traveling and looks less top heavy (but still a pig) than a DR 400

I would be happy to pay $7k for my air-cooled Honda CRF300L thumper that weighs <290lbs and has decent suspension.
I was just going to quote this post and mention an xr400 when, wala, you bring it up yourself a few posts down

Quote:
Thanks.It looks like you have a XR400R? Looks optimal for what I would want for some adventure routes! Good weight, good stock gas tank, but what is your MPG?

The XR400R is what, 20 lbs lighter than the new CRF250L? Frustruating that such good motorcycles were available in the past and now...lots of heavy pig bikes and unreliable light high-performance bikes.

General information
Model: Honda XR 400 R
Year: 2002
Category: Cross / motocross
Rating: 69.6 out of 100. Show full rating and compare with other bikes
Engine and transmission
Displacement: 397.00 ccm (24.22 cubic inches)
Engine type: Single cylinder, four-stroke
Compression: 9.3:1
Bore x stroke: 85.0 x 70.0 mm (3.3 x 2.8 inches)
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel control: SOHC
Cooling system: Air
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type,
final drive: Chain
Chassis, suspension, brakes and wheels
Front suspension travel: 279 mm (11.0 inches)
Rear suspension travel: 300 mm (11.8 inches)
Front tyre dimensions: 80/100-21
Rear tyre dimensions: 110/100-18
Front brakes: Single disc
Rear brakes: Single disc
Physical measures and capacities
Dry weight: 116.6 kg (257.1 pounds)
Seat height: 930 mm (36.6 inches) If adjustable, lowest setting.
Ground clearance: 310 mm (12.2 inches)
Wheelbase: 1,425 mm (56.1 inches)
Fuel capacity: 11.40 litres (3.01 gallons)
Reserve fuel capacity: 1.80 litres (0.48 gallons)
I think a plated xr400 would perfect for what you want.....more power and torque, better suspension but still light enough for you, super reliable and low maintainence, and handle the highway great. Its really just a better version of the bike you already love and ride. There's no way you'd be disappointed with it except maybe the height, and that can be lowered easily. Plus you can pick good used ones up at very reasonable prices if you shop around
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #130
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I was just going to quote this post and mention an xr400 when, wala, you bring it up yourself a few posts down

I think a plated xr400 would perfect for what you want.....more power and torque, better suspension but still light enough for you, super reliable and low maintainence, and handle the highway great. Its really just a better version of the bike you already love and ride. There's no way you'd be disappointed with it except maybe the height, and that can be lowered easily. Plus you can pick good used ones up at very reasonable prices if you shop around
Hmm, The height would be ok. I already looked at classified ads. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #131
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
basement?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #132
Ned1
Lend Me Yu Choppa

Oddometer: 512
^^
Ned1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #133
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Why are you even asking the question? You have dismissed most of the alternatives. I think you are just looking for affirmation. If you like it nobody will laugh, go ride it. Those crazy Australians will wonder why you have such a big bike.

Your bike makes about 14 hp, the CDC is high altitude and you have a carbed bike. Expect to lose some HP. You won''t be making 60mph if you wanted.

People have ridden that route on all types of bikes, whether you think the pork is worth while or not. Maybe that is the adventure to them.

It you haul your bike to the start, how are you getting back? Ride?, be dropped off?

Probably be ruled out as too heavy but a used DR 350 is simple, bullet proof, has a 6 speed, makes twice the HP, but with fuel weighs around 310lb. It still has a lot of aftermarket.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #134
ADVNCW OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Why are you even asking the question? You have dismissed most of the alternatives. I think you are just looking for affirmation. If you like it nobody will laugh, go ride it. Those crazy Australians will wonder why you have such a big bike.

Your bike makes about 14 hp, the CDC is high altitude and you have a carbed bike. Expect to lose some HP. You won''t be making 60mph if you wanted.

People have ridden that route on all types of bikes, whether you think the pork is worth while or not. Maybe that is the adventure to them.

It you haul your bike to the start, how are you getting back? Ride?, be dropped off?

Probably be ruled out as too heavy but a used DR 350 is simple, bullet proof, has a 6 speed, makes twice the HP, but with fuel weighs around 310lb. It still has a lot of aftermarket.
Thanks, good comments and information. Agree I like the FI on a WR250R for the altitude. I would perhaps ship the 230L back from NM. I like the DR350 but they are old now and I am thinking newer is probably less likely to have problems. One guy posted here to say the 230L did fine in the San Juan high passes.

Still pondering. I enjoy my 230L so if it would do the CD that would be ok and I can leave the 8k in the bank for a new WR250R with a big tank and luggage. Then I go back and forth to save the 230L for trials-like or slow gnarly rail riding that I enjoy and use the WRR for mileage trips.

Thanks- funny, those Trail 90s- legendary motorcycles in the mountains!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #135
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
I thought you would rule it out. Just testing.