Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #1726
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,426
Went down to the recommended restaurant down the street and had some beans, rice, plantains, liver and salad. It was quite good for 6500 pesos (3.73):

Sunday night street scene:

Not much going on Sunday evening. I have been asking people if they mind me taking pictures and alas the resounding answer is no. I am a failure as a paparazzi I am afraid.

It is important to remember that these pics don't come with sound. If you listen to this soundtrack while viewing these pics you'll get a good idea of what the street sounds are like walking down the back alleys of Cartagena:

As you may have guessed, I love Colombia!

Saludos,
Juan Salsa
johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com

JDowns screwed with this post 02-17-2013 at 08:03 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #1727
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Watching the world go by..

When I grew up, I used to spend all summer vacations in a small village by Danube river in Romania at my grand parent's house. Weekend afternoons, mostly everyone there used to dress in their nicest clothes, and sit on the bench outside in front of their homes by the main road, talk with neighbors about life in general and watch "the world go by". It was a way of connecting and saying hello to each other and passing by folks. Almost everyone knew each other so they often stopped and talked about their life, work, and families. This is how local news was spread. They were farmers who got up at 4 AM and rode their horse pulled carts to the fields where they worked the land every day until late night. Or fishermen who went to the river for the catch of the day. It was a simple life. I still remember the heavenly smell and taste of freshly baked bread my grand mother used to bake in a wood fired clay oven. When I was returning to the big city for the rest of the year, I always felt isolated living in the apartment building where everyone rushed by going about their mundane city lives, people didn't take time to notice each other and kept it mostly to themselves. And now we have the Internet.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #1728
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Watching the world go by..

When I grew up, I used to spend all summer vacations in a small village by Danube river in Romania at my grand parent's house. Weekend afternoons, mostly everyone there used to dress in their nicest clothes, and sit on the bench outside in front of their homes by the main road, talk with neighbors about life in general and watch "the world go by". It was a way of connecting and saying hello to each other and passing by folks. Almost everyone knew each other so they often stopped and talked about their life, work, and families. This is how local news was spread. They were farmers who got up at 4 AM and rode their horse pulled carts to the fields where they worked the land every day until late night. Or fishermen who went to the river for the catch of the day. It was a simple life. I still remember the heavenly smell and taste of freshly baked bread my grand mother used to bake in a wood fired clay oven. When I was returning to the big city for the rest of the year, I always felt isolated living in the apartment building where everyone rushed by going about their mundane city lives, people didn't take time to notice each other and kept it mostly to themselves. And now we have the Internet.
Hi Vic,

It must be cultural. That's all I can figure. I can almost smell your grand mother's bread baking. Mmmm mmm.

Not much in the way of good bread in South America, alas. I'm going to have to make it to Romania.

Saludos,

Juan Amante del Pan
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #1729
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I shouldn't really care about my star ratings, but I can't help it. Two people gave me 1 star ratings and dropped me down to 4.79. WTH?

I guess it was the pot pics. Probably not a good idea. Or maybe my failed attempts at paparazzi shots.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I am just trying to report what I find.

Saludos,
Juan Periodista
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #1730
nvklr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Rating

ha! I didn't even know one could rate a thread, until just now. Just cast my vote, 5 stars, only because I can't do 10. Maybe I can vote twice?

Thank you much, for the entertainment, as I look at the weather guessers forecast of snow in the near future.
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #1731
gasandasphalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
John, Most of us that anxiously look forward to your up-dates would rate your RR a 10 if possible,, a couple of 1's reflect on the mentality of the ones doing the rate...... press on, 'NO FEAR'
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #1732
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvklr View Post
ha! I didn't even know one could rate a thread, until just now. Just cast my vote, 5 stars, only because I can't do 10. Maybe I can vote twice?

Thank you much, for the entertainment, as I look at the weather guessers forecast of snow in the near future.
Thanks nvklr!

I feel better already. It's really stupid I know. But when you're out on the road trying to keep people entertained through the winter it means a lot.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Whiner
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #1733
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasandasphalt View Post
John, Most of us that anxiously look forward to your up-dates would rate your RR a 10 if possible,, a couple of 1's reflect on the mentality of the ones doing the rate...... press on, 'NO FEAR'
Hola gasandasphalt,

NO FEAR it is. These things shouldn't bother me. But when you're 10,000 miles from anywhere sending postcards from the edge it seems to make a difference.

Gracias amigo,
Juanito
Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 PM   #1734
nvklr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Thanks nvklr!

I feel better already. It's really stupid I know. But when you're out on the road trying to keep people entertained through the winter it means a lot.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Whiner
I'll make a mental note to chime in more often with words of encouragement, don't want you to think we lost interest, because we haven't!
nvklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #1735
gasandasphalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
John, You are not 10,000 miles from nowhere,,,, You are 'THERE' ,,, We are 10,000 miles away........
Old 02-17-2013, 09:03 PM   #1736
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasandasphalt View Post
John, You are not 10,000 miles from nowhere,,,, You are 'THERE' ,,, We are 10,000 miles away........
Oh right, be here now. I forgot sensei.

What was I thinking? I think it's time to hit the road less traveled. Mañana me voy.

Juan Grasshopper.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #1737
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
Hola Obejuancanobe
I haven't been to Colombia since 1999 and at that time it was a little unsafe. I have always wanted to get back there on my bike so I am saving my shakles. My spanish teacher here in Calgary is from Bogota and the whole extended family is fantastic!
I look forward to your posts everyday.
Suerte!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #1738
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Hi John,

Those who love your story for telling it as it is, will always do. That's the conundrum with social media me thinks. You can't please everyone all the time, especially the self righteous bunch who will always want to see the world only as they like it (it's not perfect, which keeps things interesting). When in my Alaska trip one night camping was offered pot by a bunch of young guys around the campfire and was really surprised. Took few drags out of curiosity and to be polite, but really didn't get anything out of it or cared for the taste (which am told is an acquired one). I never judged them for their preferences and once I got to know them, felt OK with their interesting company for one night though I could tell they were no "saints" from the stories told around the fire. It's all part of the travel ADV experience you can't always pick and choose exactly, and I think each man does it for his own self discovery as much as meeting new faces and seeing new places, experiencing the sensations of being out there in a very different world from our usual, familiar places. Who knows, maybe one day we'll meet in Romania and ride in the Carpathians and to the Black Sea. It is long overdue for me. Until then, living in parallel universes, I enjoy your stories and ride report very much as they are presented.

Best,
Vic
Old 02-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #1739
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 3,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hola gasandasphalt,

NO FEAR it is. These things shouldn't bother me. But when you're 10,000 miles from anywhere sending postcards from the edge it seems to make a difference.

Gracias amigo,
Juanito

Some folks were weaned on a pickle, and want to drag others down with them.

You just keep on drinking out of that half full glass brother.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #1740
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Hola Obejuancanobe
I haven't been to Colombia since 1999 and at that time it was a little unsafe. I have always wanted to get back there on my bike so I am saving my shakles. My spanish teacher here in Calgary is from Bogota and the whole extended family is fantastic!
I look forward to your posts everyday.
Suerte!
Hola Cal,

Colombia has changed. Get down here! A Spanish teacher from Bogota? What are you waiting for? Fantastic extended family? Colombia is calling. Your shekels will go far. Alberta is no place to spend the winter months. I think the smart money is on riding to Miami and air freighting your bike to Bogota. The sooner the better.

Saludos,
Juan Turista Advisor