Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #1786
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
JD,

You dog! Now get back to work. I've been reading the SOG saga and you've been having way too much fun south of the border lately. Look forward to spending more time in Tejas. You boys know how to have fun!

Adios amigo,
Juan Llorar
Yep. Back to work it is. Gotta few years before I can live off my bike like you're doing now. Will be worth it when I get there. Meantime I got your Ride Report.

Suerte.....

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #1787
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachGuy View Post
John this just came in on my Latin America news channel. I thought it might help you with your money change at the boarder when you cross. Things are obviously changing in Venezuela. Look as if you might get a better exchange rate if you push for it.

Venezuela has announced it is devaluing its currency in the hope of boosting economic growth.

Starting Wednesday, the fixed exchange rate will go from 4.30 bolivars to the dollar to 6.30.

Hope it works in your benefit.
Hola Juan, I've been out in the boonies camping with the family, so no internet.

I haven't gotten to the last page, so I don't know if you are still in Colombia or you already crossed the border.

Anyways, the black market rate for USD cash is around 22 right now, so you should get something around 16 to 18.

Buena suerte, buen viaje !
Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 AM   #1788
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Still at Taganga beach on the Caribbean coast. Same office this morning:

Biggest adventure ride yesterday was riding down to the beach to get something to eat and people watch. Ate lunch at this place recommended by some English girls from Surrey. Pretty good falafel with homemade pita:

I liked the woven ceiling and bamboo drop lights in the place:

Then went to the book exchange to see if they had any Spanish language books:

No luck. Then Dinner with a Brazilian musician named Artur who lives and works in Melbourne Australia and is visiting:

More people watching:

and back to the hostel to hang out with Arturo, Eduardo from Buenos Aires and the two Chilean boys from Santiago that share bunks in the room:

They had slept all afternoon so they could go down and dance all night. Perfect. They get home as I am getting up so it is like sleeping in shifts and I have the room to myself all night.

After another beautiful sunrise, I still am not ready to leave this place. Maybe tomorrow.

I spent 64,000 pesos (36.78) yesterday on food and lodging. This hostel charges 30,000 (17.24) for a bed. But the stunning view all day is worth it. There are cheaper places away from the beach down in the upper part of town.

Hasta Luego,
Juan Taganga

JDowns screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 05:51 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 AM   #1789
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Hola Juan, I've been out in the boonies camping with the family, so no internet.

I haven't gotten to the last page, so I don't know if you are still in Colombia or you already crossed the border.

Anyways, the black market rate for USD cash is around 22 right now, so you should get something around 16 to 18.

Buena suerte, buen viaje !
Hola Silviu,

Thanks for the black market update! Really appreciate all your ideas. Taganga is not on any maps I have and I never would have known to come here without your suggestion. Really nice place. There are no signs that I saw anywhere in Santa Marta or elsewhere that point to this place. I would have ridden past it if I hadn't known to ask.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Playa

JDowns screwed with this post 02-21-2013 at 05:50 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #1790
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
John,

Is it just me, or does the travelers in S.A appear to be slightly more mature? I know you mentioned dancing all night, but I've heard that's a norm in certain areas of S.A.

I'm a fairly old 30 year old and found the x-mas and new years travelers were a testiment to my pateience while in Belize and Guatemala. Strangely enough, two similarily aged motorcycle travelers who I was celebrating the holidays felt the same way. Also there were a few other travelers who weren't just there to party and keep everybody awake, or tell stories in a never ending competition to top others. It seems the general passage of information and experience was turned into a competition during that couple of weeks.

Maybe it was just the holidays as it wasn't an issue up until that point.

I'm sure hearing this makes you feel young, Senior Juanito. At the same time I feel you probably know what I'm talking about.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #1791
TigerMike
boob

Oddometer: 28
That looks like great food!

Amazing report!
TigerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #1792
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
John,

Is it just me, or does the travelers in S.A appear to be slightly more mature? I know you mentioned dancing all night, but I've heard that's a norm in certain areas of S.A.

I'm a fairly old 30 year old and found the x-mas and new years travelers were a testiment to my pateience while in Belize and Guatemala. Strangely enough, two similarily aged motorcycle travelers who I was celebrating the holidays felt the same way. Also there were a few other travelers who weren't just there to party and keep everybody awake, or tell stories in a never ending competition to top others. It seems the general passage of information and experience was turned into a competition during that couple of weeks.

Maybe it was just the holidays as it wasn't an issue up until that point.

I'm sure hearing this makes you feel young, Senior Juanito. At the same time I feel you probably know what I'm talking about.
Hi Shibby!

I think it depends on where you stay. Some of the upscale hostels like I am staying at here in Taganga attract a little higher vibe of young folks. These travelers hostels offer the cheapest beds in town. They are filled with twenty somethings and thirty is old age. I am invariably the oldest person around. It doesn't bother me. Hanging out with my South American sobrinos (nephews) is actually kind of fun. They seem to accept me as their crazy uncle from Estados Unidos on my moto. They are a fun loving bunch. And I remember when I was their age, partying all night seemed like a reasonable thing to do.

But if you want to take advantage of the low rates for a place to sleep in these tourist towns, you have to be pretty tolerant and able to sleep through anything. I don't think I would advise this mode of habitacion for everyone.

And even for me, three days seems to be the limit before I have to hit the highway and find peace in camping solo or staying in a cheap hotel with some privacy.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #1793
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerMike View Post
That looks like great food!

Amazing report!
Hi TigerMike,

Yes, that falafel was excellente. Glad to have you following along.

Saludos,
Juan Tigre
Old 02-21-2013, 02:23 PM   #1794
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Street scenes in Taganga:

and a nice sunset:

I liked this thigh tattoo. Not sure if you can see it:

I spent 44,500 pesos (25.57) today on food and lodging.

I think I'm going to be able to blow this pop stand tomorrow. We'll see.

Buenos noches mis amigos de aventura,
Juan Taganga
Old 02-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #1795
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 633
Many beaches in parque tayrona where you can camp and have them for yourself, all with amazing views. You might need to bring your own groceries to avoid the tourist trap. If you decide to skip Tayrona, consider cabo de la vela or Punta Gallinas, the northernmost point in SA (oxymoron nevertheless) . Wherever you choose to go you will be dodging the foot of snow covering Nebraska.

Que buena aventura!

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #1796
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Eduardo, my friend from Buenos Aires just returned this evening from Tayrona National Park and tells me it is great:

He's a little scruffy looking after camping in the bush. I will look like him tomorrow I imagine. He was trying to charge his Argentinian camera with the different plug profile and having a little difficulty. With a peanut can, coke bottle and beer bottle with some paper shims we were able to get the green light to come on so his camera can charge. South American engineering at it's finest:

More later,
Juanito
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #1797
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Street scenes in Taganga:

Where's the slow clap when you need it..... Oh yes, there it is:

Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #1798
psycho klr
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Oddometer: 2,392
Wow!

I don't like to post on a thread until I have read the entire thing, it took a long while with this one.

Great RR John! I like the whole spirit of the trip.

As a 20+ year carpenter I think your background in the trades has helped you keep your unique outlook on things. You have to be flexible and you eventually realize that you cannot judge a book by it's cover if you work construction for a long time. Correct me if I am wrong.

BTW, They got 3" of snow in 1/2 an hour today in Kansas. I doubt it was much nicer at your homestead. Good thing you aren't there, huh?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:58 AM   #1799
tonymarchman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Thanks for the pics of the ladies, apparently your skill in stealth camera action is improving. Great ride report! Did you post the gps coordinates to this little piece of heaven?

Thanks
Tony in Tn
tonymarchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #1800
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
.... With a peanut can, coke bottle and beer bottle with some paper shims we were able to get the green light to come on so his camera can charge. South American engineering at it's finest:

More later, Juanito
Hola Juancito!
Espero que todo siga de lo mas tranquilo y placiente.
Aquí calentándome los huesos, deseando estar por alrededor de su actual vecindad. Que bello se ve por ahí!
Oiga, tenga cuidado con el papel tan cerca a los contactos del enchufe. Una buena chispa y pufff! Mas vale prevenir que lamentar.
Que Dios lo siga guiando por toda la belleza tan placiente, y que le mantenga la animo de seguir compartiendo tanto con nosotros.
Un abrazo de un compatriota gringo!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote