Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #1846
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
You guys aren't showing that you've digested what I said. Yet can also be todavía. Aunque can also be even though. You have to abandon the idea that every word has an equivalent in the other language. For example, "it is".. To interpret / translate well, it is necessary to think at the idea level as opposed to the word level.
Yes, you're right. Told my Guate amigo that it could be several words like todavia, aún or aunque. "Sin embargo" works, too. "Aunque" is what I encounter most in Mexico City. YMMV.

John, if you return this way come by and check out the WRR. I should have some performance mods done by then.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #1847
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Yes, you're right.
Not right, there is no direct translation, but damn dude, nice WRR! Lets ride!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #1848
Lee C
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Thumb

Quote:
Yes, you're right. Told my Guate amigo that it could be several words like todavia, aún or aunque. "Sin embargo" works, too. "Aunque" is what I encounter most in Mexico City. YMMV.

John, if you return this way come by and check out the WRR. I should have some performance mods done by then.

Very nice more pics with bags
Lee C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #1849
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,618
Will post up more on the WRR thread.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #1850
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Give me a break my friend,...

It's difficult to run the mouse with my left hand....
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #1851
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
some spanish to confuse you more

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Yet = ya.
Agree to disagree, lessons for adv riders:

I havent done that yet, but I still think of it everyday. Even when I am not riding.

Aún no he hecho eso, pero todavia lo pienso a diario. Incluso cuando no estoy montando moto.
estebansos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #1852
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Yes, you're right. Told my Guate amigo that it could be several words like todavia, aún or aunque. "Sin embargo" works, too. "Aunque" is what I encounter most in Mexico City.
Lesson #2

Sin embargo is more on the line of: However, nevertheless, or it could be even a less colloquial way of saying but. However, the word aunque is more on the line of although, even though or even a coloquial way of saying while.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #1853
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Great stuff Juanito! Hey man, if you get good enough wifi for some netflix I've 2 recs. "The Wind Journeys," and "Colors of the Mountain." Good for practicing your Colombian as well. Dont worry, there are subtitles. You might find them interesting after where you have been the last few weeks.

Buen viaje!
Still impressed by your "old" reports and interest in Colombian culture. Two good movies you mentioned right there. Hands down to a true traveller. Still flying?
Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #1854
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

No need

There is no need to thank Juan Frontera. I am just glad you followed and had a great time of therapeutic transformation heh.
Sad to hear about the scam in VZ. Its a rough time to go. Specially when you dont know whether your president is dead or not. Be prepared and keep safe.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #1855
brakedw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
venezuela entry

I was checking around and found this list of whats needed for entry, sounds pretty extreme to me. I'll keep looking and see if i find any useful information.

Dan

Venezuela Tourist Visa Requirements:

1. U.S. Passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your intended return date. If your passport does not meet this requirement, please see our Passport Services.

2. One Venezuela Visa Application Form completed and signed.

3. Two Passport photographs.

4. One Venezuela Visa Coversheet.

5. Copy of Itinerary.

6. Certification of Employment, Specifying the following: length of employment, position and salary.

7. A bank reference letter (not a bank statement) verifying opening date, number and type of account and current balance.

Note: The Venezuela tourist visa is usually issued for a single entry within 90 days of issue date, for stay of up to 90 days.
brakedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #1856
kwb210
who just arrived?

Oddometer: 79
Nine Queens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
The Wind Journeys is an incredible film, I highly recommend it along with The Violin and Intimate Stories, both South American films. I always just go to the Latin American subgenre and watch movies from there.
Wind Journeys has the coolest accordian duel, crazy good. Another fun movie is Nine Queens, also sub titties, titliest, titles.
kurt
kwb210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #1857
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
Todavia means "still" not "yet" and they are different. "Still" or "Todavia" means something that is continuing. "Yet," means that it will likely change, and very soon. Yes we have digested what you said, but it still doesnt completely fit. So, IMO, "yet" does not have an equivalent translation in Spanish. Just like you said, every word in English does not have an equivalent translation in Spanish. Hence my comment, "yet" try to translate that one into Spanish.
Vin, No estoy de acuerdo todavía... how would you translate that? I don't agree yet. There are plenty of occasions where todavía and yet fit the translation. "...it is necessary to think at the idea level as opposed to the word level."
I'm not a Spanish expert, but I've studied it for years and have been speaking it regularly for over 40 years, and reasonably fluently; I'm also a certified interpreter. My brain "works" in both languages. Just trying to help out anyone with less speaking experience who is eager to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Very true. One must think in a language to really understand and communicate using it. Language looses some or even all of it's message once mechanically translated.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #1858
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...Tal vez depende en el pais, no estoy seguro.
Tal vez depende del país, no se.
Como unas cuantas cosas...
Quote:
I'm sure that Juanito is highly entertained by all this bullshit drivel of us internet moto jockeys. He is the guy out doing the real shit. Damn Juan, its good to be where you are right now. I miss it, big time. Good on ya Juan!
Cien por ciento!!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #1859
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by estebansos View Post
Agree to disagree, lessons for adv riders:

I havent done that yet, but I still think of it everyday. Even when I am not riding.

Aún no he hecho eso, pero todavia lo pienso a diario. Incluso cuando no estoy montando moto.
That's nice Spanish. Add aún to the list. But for the sake of example, this also works:

No lo he hecho todavía, aunque pienso en aquello cada día. Hasta cuando no estoy en moto.

That WRR looks kick-a$$ Schizz! Is that a 450?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #1860
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakedw View Post
I was checking around and found this list of whats needed for entry, sounds pretty extreme to me. ....
Yikes, that would be enough of a turn-off for me to proceed elsewhere. One of the joys I get from Latin America is how warmly I'm welcomed.