Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #1861
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Aunque = yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Fuck it, lets go ride Baja sometime dude!
Best f*ckin' answer!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:42 AM   #1862
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,303
GREG: Alajuela, Costa Rica????

My wife will be in Alajuela in two days, on Saturday! Small world...

Are you familiar with Hotel Trotamundos?
"Nos localizamos en la Av 5, entre las calles 2-4, o en la "manera Tica" una cuadra al norte y media cuadra al oeste del Museo Juan Santa María."

Then it's off to Parismina...

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 09:53 AM
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:52 AM   #1863
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
...If you say "I dont agree yet" in English it would mean that you might agree in the future. .... How sad are we? Talking about linguistics on a moto forum. Saludos, Vin
I think we're there, Vin We're just itchin to be putzin around down there with our stellar representative Juan-boy.
Not puteando... or...

I hope he's not stuck being held for interrogation over his "carta de introducción"...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #1864
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,700
Todavia estoy un gringo maldito!

No yet in that characterization.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #1865
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,434
VENUZUELA ENTRY

When I first came to the U.S.A. in 1976 as a traveller these were the requirements:

1. Passport must be valid for 6 months beyond your intended return date.

2. Visa obtained from American Embassy in your Country of origin.

3. Copy of Itinerary. Round trip ticket. Hotel reservations.

4. Certification of Employment, Specifying the following: length of employment, type of employment, possibility of re-employment.

5. Assets you own, home, property and etc.

6. Proof of available funds for length of travel.

7. Visa is valid fo rmultiple entry for 180 days.

I got caught out with number 2 as I drove to Tijuana after my visa expired in hope of turning around and renewing and just coming back in the USA. I had left my girlfriend and clothes in Long Beach. I was refused entry and told to go to my Counrty of origin for a visa! I had to go back to the UK! Well first I did the smart thing and drove to Panama City, Panama!

So it's not entirely unprecidented, EXCEPT the bank account bit...I wouldn't want anyone to know I had a large stash in my Bank, and you couldn't just open a phony account because they want to know WHEN the account was opened.
When we head south on our epic journey I guess we won't be see-ing Venuzuela. Well, whatever, you can't see everything.

As an aside, when I married an American citizen (in the U.K.) it took me three years to get my green card and I couldn't have a visitor visa in the interim. We stayed in the U.K. for that three years.

TUCKERS screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 12:10 PM
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #1866
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
So it's not entirely unprecidented, EXCEPT the bank account bit...I wouldn't want anyone to know I had a large stash in my Bank, and you couldn't just open a phony account because they want to know WHEN the account was opened.
When we head south on our epic journey I guess we won't be see-ing Venuzuela. Well, whatever, you can't see everything.
Brazil you won't be seeing either then. When I applied for my Brazilian Visa in Bogota last year they wanted proof of funds. They accepted an ATM bank account balance so I guess you could fake one of those without too much trouble. I only had a few thousand dollars showing in mine that I gave them and they issued me a Visa for what that's worth.

Venezuela and Brazil should not be missed imo, the free gas is the best

Throttlemeister screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 12:00 PM
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #1867
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
We're seeing more and more Visa restrictions from countries all over the world ... It's simply reciprocity against restrictive and punitive US immigration policies ... which have been in place for years.

I'm frankly amazed Venezuela hasn't gone down this road sooner given the vitriolic political attacks from the US right wing. (But Hugo got even at the United Nations )
Maybe if Venezuela cut off our oil supply things would change?
(number two or three supplier of oil to USA) Talk about hypocrisy!

Bolivia, Argentina, Brazil and now apparently Venezuela, all charge a sizable fee and require various paper hurdles to grant a Visa to US citizens and other nationals as well. This may be new to US citizens but its not new to those from other countries.

If you look at what foreign nationals applying for US Visas have to endure and the costs involved, it's easy to see where these latest policies come from. Its Tit for Tat.

Looks like more and more US citizens will be forced to show up in person at an embassy to apply for a Visa. Of course they'll require proof of funds, air ticket IN/OUT, sponsor or recommendation letter ... and God knows what else. But ask your foreign friends what they went through to get into the US ... you won't believe it.

In the past I've simply used a valid Credit Card as proof of funds ... and it was accepted. Now? Maybe not. They learned the game from us ... and now average tourists are paying the price.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #1868
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,434
Dang. We had better get our ducks in a row then. We want to ride to T del F end of this year or next year. Getting the DR650's ready even now!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #1869
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
I'm with you on this one.
"Aunque" or "pero" would work
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #1870
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
You guys aren't showing that you've digested what I said. Yet can also be todavía. Aunque can also be even though. You have to abandon the idea that every word has an equivalent in the other language. For example, "it is".. To interpret / translate well, it is necessary to think at the idea level as opposed to the word level.
Hola Juanito,

I've heard about this for Colombian Tourists... If it is the same thing, all you need is a letter from a local "inviting" you to the country. You have my e-mail, let me know your full name, passport number, etc and I'll write the letter for you.

I just called a buddy of mine who owns a Travel Agency and he said he has no idea (but he deals with people going out of the country not coming in)...

Can you give us details on what info is needed in the letter and who has to write it?

Also, Cucuta is a "swifter" border crossing... Maybe they won't ask for the letter there?

SS in Vzla. screwed with this post 02-28-2013 at 12:54 PM
SS in Vzla. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #1871
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post

All they want to know is if you have enough money to fund your stay in-country. They don't care if the account was opened two months ago...
I even think it is not a bad idea to open a bank account where you do not keep your "large stash" and during your trip you take money out from that "small stash" account, in case your debit card gets lost, stolen or cloned...

It's just bureaucracy coming from highly inept governments, with a little bit of wit, you can easily navigate around the hurdles... If all border crossing where easy, then where is the adventure?
Old 02-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #1872
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Hola Juanito,

I've heard about this for Colombian Tourists... If it is the same thing, all you need is a letter from a local "inviting" you to the country. You have my e-mail, let me know your full name, passport number, etc and I'll write the letter for you.

I just called a buddy of mine who owns a Travel Agency and he said he has no idea (but he deals with people going out of the country not coming in)...

Can you give us details on what info is needed in the letter and who has to write it?

Also, Cucuta is a "swifter" border crossing... Maybe they won't ask for the letter there?
Hi Silviu,

I have been checking the internet and can't find anything about what exactly is required. This could be just one border crossing on one day. Who knows?

Doing a search of ADVrider I see that rtwpaul had no problems at this exact same border crossing two months ago, so I'm heading to Cucuta to see if this is some new requirement or not.

If it is I will find out what is needed and email you. These things all work out in the end. No way I'm skipping Venezuela.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Extranjero
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #1873
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 661
Spanglish grammar

Highly entertaining to see epic riders debating spanish grammar and vocabulary, and doing it very well. Kudos

Flying to Medellin in june. I'll try to mimic the pic of crashmaster, throttlemeister and Adam at the good fuking ribs restaurant. That's as real as it will get for vicarious living

Que buen reporte!!

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #1874
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Silviu,

I have been checking the internet and can't find anything about what exactly is required. This could be just one border crossing on one day. Who knows?

Doing a search of ADVrider I see that rtwpaul had no problems at this exact same border crossing two months ago, so I'm heading to Cucuta to see if this is some new requirement or not.

If it is I will find out what is needed and email you. These things all work out in the end. No way I'm skipping Venezuela.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Extranjero
I'm sure you will figure it out one way or another...

Keep in mind RTWPaul has dual citizenship and might have entered as a Brit

Let me know if I can help
Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #1875
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
We're seeing more and more Visa restrictions from countries all over the world ... It's simply reciprocity against restrictive and punitive US immigration policies ... which have been in place for years. .... But ask your foreign friends what they went through to get into the US ... you won't believe it. ....
Seriously. I know about this firsthand. But this is the land of "golden opportunity" - everyone wants to come here - and we'd only want to go there temporarily... and leave a few almighty dollars there in the process...
If they only knew! Well, ok, maybe they are catching on. Looks like I need to start concentrating harder on getting my cedula Ecuatoriana before it becomes an insurmountable obstacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
.... These things all work out in the end. No way I'm skipping Venezuela. Muchas gracias amigo, Juan Extranjero
That's the spirit, John! If you want it, you'll make it work. That's very cool of SS to offer to sponsor you. Good times!