Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 10:50 AM   #181
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Wow John, I love the Ozarks. Grew up there, havent been back in over 25 years. Might need to do that someday. I forgot what a real fall season is like. In SoCal we have summer and the other season which is like summer but the surf is way better. In Alaska we have winter and something not quite as dark as winter with good fishing.

hey John, if you do that, you need to get off the boat in Bahia Solano and say hello to my friend Enrique.
Hi Crash,

I will be sure to give my regards to Enrique from Señor Vincente . Hey, the Ozarks are beautiful. Nice place to grow up. You're a lucky guy.

Suerte,
Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 08:08 PM
Old 10-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #182
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I asked a lot of big women who looked like pie afficianados where to find buttermilk pie in Ozark and none of them had heard of it.

Best,
John Downs

John
Old 10-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #183
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
I just ran across your report today. THANK YOU!

I really enjoyed reading your Guatemalan ride report. I just really enjoyed reading what you wrote, and felt it gave me just a hint of what it might be like to travel as you did.

Being of small stature, my current bike is a Ninja 250 and as a street bike, I feel it fits perfectly in the street-bike category as the Sherpa does for the dual sport class. In fact, I am trying to save for a Sherpa. I continue to do bike research and for what I need, the Sherpa just keeps coming back to my best option.

I also like the whole minimalist aspect. My financial aspect may be born of necessity, but "do more with less" attitude...it just appeals to me very strongly, though I can't say where I got it from. Maybe its sort of like the different in the mindset of being "poor" vs. being "frugal". Even if the reality of the matter is the same, "frugal" is a choice.

You are riding a bike I want, taking it on a trip where some people have already decided "bigger is better", so yeah! I am in!

Wishing you all the best, and thanks again for all the work to write the report and take and upload pics. I have some hobby stuff where I keep saying I want to take pics and do blogs, and even at home...its a lot of work...on the road...you have my respect!

Bonus: you left on my birthday, and your ride report is a very welcome present!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:49 PM   #184
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
The Ozarks are awesome at this time of year! It was a bit nippy as the sun was coming up. Maybe 40's. But quickly warmed up as the road climbed into the mountains. I never saw the White Rock that the sign pointed to up this 4 digit county road over the state line in Arkansas:

But it was a beautiful gravel country road with one lane bridges through the tree tunnels of fall foliage:

Now you're talking my language. Bring it! :

You'll just have to imagine what it was like dropping down the mountain leaning into 10mph hairpins riding in dappled shade through more colorful tree tunnels with leaves falling and blowing across the road. The road was too narrow to stop and take a pic. But I guarantee Arkansas 23 south of Brashears through the Ozark National Forest will bring a smile to your face. This road had more curves than the entire state of Kansas.

Didn't have a map of Arkansas so I just rode around down any road that looked good. Squiggly lines on the GPS are good. I finally stopped in the nice town of Ozark and dropped by the tourist information center:

These places are a goldmine of info for the moto traveler. Great source of free maps and information. Very helpful guy behind the counter gave me Arkansas and Oklahoma state maps as well as this great 4 page set of maps of gravel roads in the Ozarks called Traveling the backcountry...a guide to designated off-highway vehicle routes:

He also pointed me to the free wifi here at the Franklin County Library to send back more postcards from the edge.

I'm heading back tomorrow to Throttlemeister's to help him load 4 wheelers and bikes and then its off to Zombie fest. Should be fun. I hear there's skeet shooting.

Shotguns, motorcycle racing, mud and camping. I'm so in!!! These Oklahoma ADVriders know how to have a good time.

Gotta head down the road in search of Buttermilk pie. I know. I thought the name didn't sound too appealing either. But Throttlemeister was singing its praises, and he is a straight up great dude so I'll take his word for it.

Oh, and never mind about my last post. You guys are great. It's all good.

Signing off from the Ozarks,
John Downs

John

Buttermilk Pie? Really? I need to know more. I LOVE Buttermilk. I never heard of such a thing.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #185
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 7,062
Quote:
I never did find that buttermilk pie he was raving about. That may not be a bad thing though. It turns out he said Oark not Ozark. I asked a lot of big women who looked like pie afficianados where to find buttermilk pie in Ozark and none of them had heard of it.
Hey John:
I'm in Fayetteville and brand new to the Ozarks but I have had buttermilk pie. Kinda sweet, but good. The place you are looking for that serves it is here: http://www.oarkgeneralstore.com/store.htm

Forget the pie, though. They served one of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had.

Lovin' the ride report, keep it up.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Old 10-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #186
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider View Post
I just ran across your report today. THANK YOU!

I really enjoyed reading your Guatemalan ride report. I just really enjoyed reading what you wrote, and felt it gave me just a hint of what it might be like to travel as you did.
Hi Voidrider,

This ride report's for folks like you. Ninja is a fine bike. Heck it'll go faster than the Sherpa and is easy on gas. Smooth twin. Nice bike!

Glad to have you along for the ride.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 10-20-2012, 05:27 PM   #187
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I'm having fun at the Zombie fest this weekend.

This must be the place:

Shotguns. Pull!! :

Wheelie competition. I believe that's Ralph:

ADV bike drag racing competition. Yes that's _CY_ on a GS/PD haulin' ass down the pasture:

Obstacle course. Newner negotiating the gates of hell:

These Oklahoma ADVriders know how to have fun!

I'm up at the house on the hill catching some wifi. Thought I'd share some pics. I have to head back for some sort of sport that involves zombie infestation and paintball.

More later…

Reporting live from somewhere in Oklahoma out in the country.

And yes, I'm really on my way to South America. But I mean, how can you pass up ADV hospitality like this fun event when you happen to be in the neighborhood?

Best,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 05:04 PM
Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #188
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

More Zombie fest pics

Hillclimbing competition. Yes that rock three feet in front of the front tire kicked out his rear wheel, but he almost made it:

Setting up zombie targets:

Killing zombies:

Tomski on the long racecourse:

Newner acing the creek crossing and gully climb on the long race course:

Throttlemeister can wheelie this thang like nobodies business:

You don't want to know how many times this katoom tube got pinched:

Campsite:

Camp dog:

Sitting around the campfire last night late:

More later....

JDowns screwed with this post 10-21-2012 at 05:07 PM
Old 10-20-2012, 06:09 PM   #189
miguelitro
Chuchaki

Oddometer: 845
º
hold down option and type a zero! see ya if you come through ecuador!
Mike
I'd rather be riding a 200 in Ecuador than any dream bike here.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:53 PM   #190
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelitro View Post
º
hold down option and type a zero! see ya if you come through ecuador!
Mike
Hi Miguelitro,

Thanks! Will be sure to drop by for a visit if I make it to Ecuador in one piece.

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #191
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Hey John:
I'm in Fayetteville and brand new to the Ozarks but I have had buttermilk pie. Kinda sweet, but good. The place you are looking for that serves it is here: http://www.oarkgeneralstore.com/store.htm

Forget the pie, though. They served one of the best cheeseburgers I've ever had.

Lovin' the ride report, keep it up.
Hi Scribe,

You live in a beautiful area of the country. I will definitely be back to razorback central later. Glad to have you along for the ride.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 10-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #192
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
John

Buttermilk Pie? Really? I need to know more. I LOVE Buttermilk. I never heard of such a thing.
Kedgi,

For buttermilk pie go to the general store in Oark, Arkansas. Supposed to be great. Arkansas is beautiful this time of year even if you don't find the pie.

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-21-2012, 02:57 AM   #193
NodnarbRS
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Sub'd!

I'm really looking forward to watching how this trip unfolds. Thanks so much for taking us along for the ride in this way!

I caught some type of Latin American fever after spending some time in Costa Rica earlier this month, and now I'm hooked on the region! :) I am now planning a Kansas City, Kansas to San Salvador, El Salvador and back trip, starting sometime in May! I've never toured on a motorcycle before, nor have I road-tripped solo, so I am a bit anxious. My budget will also be of the shoe-string variety, and I plan on camping (setting up wherever I can) along the way, so I'm hoping to glean some lessons and insights from your travels.

You have also caused me to consider taking along a smaller steed. I've been planning on rustling up a KLR for the trip, but now I just don't know. A handsome 250 does seem like plenty of bike for me once out of the US.

¡Buen viaje, Señor Jaun!

Brandon
Old 10-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #194
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Man that zombie fest looks like big fun! Maybe next year John will invite me?

Old 10-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #195
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Man that zombie fest looks like big fun! Maybe next year John will invite me?
Hey Crash,

You'd love it! Throttlemeister says you're invited. You'd fit right in. They also tell me there is another S.L.A.P. (squeal like a pig) campout the weekend before memorial day over in the Ozark National Forest area.

Might be a good excuse to visit your old stomping grounds. Its beautiful country and nice ADV folks out this way. Great riding and lots of fun.

Suerte,
Juan
Closed Thread