Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 10:34 PM   #1951
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
John, I'm having trouble getting any sentiment in that expression; are you tending to imply that it was a pleasurable or an unpleasurable experience?
I am equally capable of envisioning both scenarios.
I would like to know too, it's not a walk in the park but John likes to make it all look like it for us and only share the best of his trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
It´s important to keep a sense of humor while you´re pushing your bike down a rain filled ditch with semi trucks flying by two feet away spraying you with runoff.

I like going on adventurous rides. It´s what I do. This is all part of it. It´s what makes you smile when you´re back home sitting in front of the fireplace remembering back on all the outrageous situations you´ve found yourself in on these rides. I´m not sure, but I think it builds character knowing that you have made it out of some seriously dire looking situations.
I can imagine this part was pay time for enjoying all the nice beaches.. and if he thinks is worth it, I'll agree. After all, not much choice once you dive in the adventure
Old 03-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #1952
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 6,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
... I can imagine this part was pay time for enjoying all the nice beaches.. and if he thinks is worth it, I'll agree. After all, not much choice once you dive in the adventure
I guesss the bottom line is that there's a balance to be sought. There is the adrenaline high and there's the pain. All our resources are split among various options. Is any particular way the best way to allocate them to be happy? Does this vary with time? Therein lies the question for each individual.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #1953
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
I guesss the bottom line is that there's a balance to be sought. There is the adrenaline high and there's the pain. All our resources are split among various options. Is any particular way the best way to allocate them to be happy? Does this vary with time? Therein lies the question for each individual.
Yep, can only speak for me, but seems happiness is a state of bliss waking up next to my moto in a tent preferably with a nice scenic view, after a long hard day in the saddle, and be able to do it all over again. The sights, events and people met add a great deal to the experience to make me feel alive in the now. I am working on shaping my life towards more of this experience and less of the waiting but am still in the dreaming and gathering courage part. Funny, I think once you have dreamed climbing a mountain, when you find yourself on top, realize that there is allot more to the experience than getting there, and the whole perspective shifts, discovering new life joys in the process. After being off for one whole month for the first time in last 20 years and riding to Alaska, I felt so upset coming back to my mundane life. For me the balance is finding the place and time to draw the line between enough "safety" and "normality" and starting an adventure. Not to cross post but from another thread here - "if you think too much you will get Shat on" http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=20607112 and this is where I see myslef in that place now
Old 03-05-2013, 01:33 AM   #1954
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

I think you've picked up on some thoughts that will help you make choices and live with the results, Sir Drac. I, too, have also had that awesome feeling while out motorcycle camping. Although my experience is so far limited to one and two night-ers.

I have also felt an incredible sense of awe while traveling around Ecuador in private cars and busses. A lot of what we feel is what we read into the experiences. And returning to life after a month in Ecuador? It's as you describe coming home, and it leaves a void. But it's worth it for the incredible degree of engagement experienced while there.

Now, would I love to combine both worlds? Hell yes. Why else would I be perusing these ride reports? This is what I want to do. JD style. However....

I got married, and then had children. I think I waaaay lucked out with her. Well, not that I didn't have an instinct to search out positive characteristics, but that I actually found someone who I could really trust to run my life with me, who had such a high degree of positive characteristics. The will of God takes precedence here, and He is a good God. It has been awesome how we've gone so far through life, learning from each other, taking care of each other, knowing all along we will be together until the end, whatever the end shall be. I feel a dedication to her that supercedes anything else. I know she will always be there for me, and I for her. And I try to remind myself to look for ways to make our journey through life joyful for her. I'm not selfish enough to put my own needs before hers. At least not on average. Naturally there are times. It pains me if I hurt her.

I want to get on a bike and run around South America with her. I know she'll go along with me if I have a viable plan. If certain things fall into place, that plan is realizable. But sometimes we are overcome by events, per the will of God. And our first granchild is about the size of a walnut at this stage of development.

Entonces, SI DIOS LO PERMITE, we'll be riding around down there in the next few years. If not, then it was because something else took precedence, not for lack of trying.

Honestly, I don't think it's possible to think too much; however, I do beleive that thought does not constitute action. I see the problem to be solved as thinking while in action, much the way our admired friend here is picking his path across the land.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #1955
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
OnandOFF ^^^ That is a beautiful sentiment, beautifully expressed.

I too have a wife that I feel is the bright spot in my life and we really compliment if not complete each other. We have two sons who are both just marvelous guys in their own rights, even if they are still young.

My wife and I talk out our hopes and dreams, and not too long ago it came to light that she has always wanted to see Alaska, and had that desire ever since she ran across Jack London's novels in Jr. High.

A few years ago we were given a Concours basically for free. We are working on it and are planning to see if it will work as a two-up tourer for us.

Time flies and before long our sons will be old enough to hold the fort while mom and dad take an adventure to the north.

I think it is good to think and plan, the thinking and planning must not be an end unto itself though. At some point the ship must set sail, otherwise, what was the point of all the planning?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:14 AM   #1956
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,697
Quote:
I got married, and then had children. I think I waaaay lucked out with her. Well, not that I didn't have an instinct to search out positive characteristics, but that I actually found someone who I could really trust to run my life with me, who had such a high degree of positive characteristics. The will of God takes precedence here, and He is a good God. It has been awesome how we've gone so far through life, learning from each other, taking care of each other, knowing all along we will be together until the end, whatever the end shall be. I feel a dedication to her that supercedes anything else. I know she will always be there for me, and I for her. And I try to remind myself to look for ways to make our journey through life joyful for her. I'm not selfish enough to put my own needs before hers. At least not on average. Naturally there are times. It pains me if I hurt her.
Excellent
Old 03-05-2013, 06:36 AM   #1957
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
excellent
+1

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 03-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #1958
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider View Post
OnandOFF ^^^ That is a beautiful sentiment, beautifully expressed. I too have a wife that I feel is the bright spot in my life ...
Thanks, man. I appreciate that. The words were flowing last night, quite possibly because my wife is away. Our kids are already married and successfully maintain their own households. All we have to worry about tending to now is the dogs, our elderly parents, securing our finances, and guiding our kids without being intrusive. and upcoming grandchildren. I don't believe the time will ever be "right" for taking off on a long journey away from home and things familiar, so we'll have to keep an eye out, weigh our options, and take the best opportunity. Meanwhile, a few day trips and occasional overnighters to get a taste of it. I think high-level planning thoughts and discussing it help steer us in that direction.

I expect the sentiment is similar for you from what you describe. I suspect the Concours will be a very comfortable bike for you both to tour on. I'd make it a point to be familiar with what you can and can't do with it especially as far as maneuvering in tight spaces and it's capability for handling less than perfect terrain. Don't forget about tipping it and how you're going to pick it up! We've had to pick up our 640# '85 Sabre together out far from home, and have a system down. My biggest concern about taking a bike that I've been given on a long excursion would be the mechanical condition of the bike, and I'd want to be comfortable believing it's secure with no impending issues. I would be going over it with a fine-tooth comb and getting a lot of local riding in with it to gain my confidence with it first. That's probably what you are doing now. You shoud have an awesome trip to Alaska and back! Just do it in late July - early August timeframe so you can enjoy the best weather up there, too.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #1959
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
.... Some of these guys are paying 20 bucks a quart for unicorn blood in their bikes. It adds up when you're pounding out the miles in a bike with a big sump. Not that I have anything against high strung bikes or women with big sumps and voracious appetites . I just can't afford them. ...
There's noting like a good guffaw to send coffee out your nose.

I'm flabberghasted at people's various oil choices and change schedules, and their associated reasoning. Not long ago, I shared some observations with Ulyses and his followers, and I don't mind repeating it here. For those who know they are right, I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears. But like you say, if only one person is motivated, in this case to seek out facts over opinions, then I haven't wasted my time.

Quote:
Using Mobil One synthetic oil, it would be possible to do the entire trip without changing the oil, just keeping it topped up, without any oil-related ill-effects. I'm sure most people will go but I know - I ran a car 30,000 miles between oil changes since new break-in and the engine was spotless and showed little wear at 120,000 miles. The oil change intervals specified by the manufacturers are very conservative and based on using standard oil which doesn't come close to offering the protection and durability of Mobil One.
It was really my father's doing. He had this really odd idea based on researching the facts. He drove a lot. I witnessed him performing this great experiment for years before I inherited the car, otherwise I would have been afraid to perform this experiment myself, as costly as it could could be for a young man, based on common knowledge that your engine will suffer great harm if gone one mile past the manufacturer's reccommended interval, which is obviously set for a reason.

"YMMV"
Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #1960
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 326
Quote:

It´s important to keep a sense of humor while you´re pushing your bike down a rain filled ditch with semi trucks flying by two feet away spraying you with runoff.

I like going on adventurous rides. It´s what I do. This is all part of it. It´s what makes you smile when you´re back home sitting in front of the fireplace remembering back on all the outrageous situations you´ve found yourself in on these rides. I´m not sure, but I think it builds character knowing that you have made it out of some seriously dire looking situations.

Keep the good times rolling!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #1961
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,573
This just in: Hugo Chavez died earlier today. US diplomats expelled from Venezuela. US gov't accused of causing Chavez' death.

Sorry, John. Might be a while before you can get in now.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 03-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #1962
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
This just in: Hugo Chavez died earlier today. US diplomats expelled from Venezuela. US gov't accused of causing Chavez' death.

Sorry, John. Might be a while before you can get in now.

I was just going to post this. I just read how he's very ill with infection, then my phone pushed that he's passed.

I don't know so much if the US was accused of killing, but he said the US was in the country to survey the military and other not-so-friendly stuff.

I'd think it would be wise to avoid the country.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Old 03-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #1963
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Well that's an unfortunate turn of events. It may not be enough to turn John away though, if he can fanegle his way in, you know the power of his resolve. I'm with you guys who wouldn't go in there now, personally. Given all the amazing expanse of Colombia and much yet to be explored, not to mention Ecuador waiting just below (which I think I could spend a whole year exploring), it seems there's plenty to do without taking that risk. But I'm sure he'd retort, where's the adventure sans risk! I'm staying tuned....
Old 03-05-2013, 02:25 PM   #1964
lualca
motero

Oddometer: 13
Venezuela

Hi John,
I think is the best for you to avoid going into Venezuela with the new situation, in our countries (Dominican Rep. in my case) this events creates a very dangerous situation with lots of people in riots in the streets where everything can happens.
Best regards
lualca
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #1965
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lualca View Post
... (Dominican Rep. in my case) ...
Mi cuñadita es de la República Dominicana. Buena gente!
Me gustaría viajar en ferry desde Mayagüez PR cruzando el Canal de La Mona a Santo Domingo.
Closed Thread