Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #1966
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by lualca View Post
... (Dominican Rep. in my case) ...
Mi cuñadita es de la República Dominicana. Buena gente!
Me gustaría viajar en ferry desde Mayagüez PR cruzando el Canal de La Mona a Santo Domingo.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #1967
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 556
quick update

I called my dad this afternoon and he said when he got to the parqueadero, John was hanging out with the mechanics like a local guy I'll let Juanito tell the story though

I wish he'd ride a little around Medellin and the coffee growing area but we like this report, among other things, for the unexpected turns his adventure takes.

When it comes to Venezuela, I think we should hear from the locals, like Silviu, to see what they recommend. I'm used to hearing people talk about how dangerous Colombia is, so I tend to take warnings with a grain of salt.

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #1968
lualca
motero

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Mi cuñadita es de la República Dominicana. Buena gente!
Me gustaría viajar en ferry desde Mayagüez PR cruzando el Canal de La Mona a Santo Domingo.
All ADV riders are more that welcome, a good beer is waiting!
lualca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #1969
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,452
Just a great day of riding today in the Colombian mountains heading to the city of eternal spring that is Medellin.

Some shots from this morning of street life in Puerto Berrios:

Saddle shop:

typical loaded tuk-tuk delivery vehicle loaded to the hilt:

Typical Chiva bus:

Palm oil plantation outside of town:

Just a fantastic day of riding. Blue skies and puffy white clouds were a welcome change from three days of dark clouds, rain showers and a dying Sherpa:

Nothing but curves and corkscrew hairpins for 150 miles on carretera 62 from Puerto Berrios to Medellin. This road is fun. Up over mountain ranges and down into distant valleys:

along raging rivers:

and finally into Medellin. It was only a couple hundred kilometers but it took a few hours of cranking and banking to get there. Arrived at trespalacio's Dad's parking garage and got to work on the Sherpa. Removed the luggage, seat, tank and side covers and degreased the engine before changing the oil and filter and seeing what I could do with the spark plug cap. I disassembled it and checked the coil which is crack free and seems good. Ran out of time though, so put the bike back together and headed over to the Palm Tree hostel down the way where I am sitting outside on the picnic table typing this up. Nice place. Cheap for Medellin at 25,000 pesos for a dorm bed (14.29).

I think I'll head over to Al's hostel tomorrow and see about fixing the spark plug cap.

Buenos noches mis amigos de aventura,
Juanito

johnthomasdowns.blogspot.com

JDowns screwed with this post 03-05-2013 at 06:22 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #1970
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
This just in: Hugo Chavez died earlier today. US diplomats expelled from Venezuela. US gov't accused of causing Chavez' death.

Sorry, John. Might be a while before you can get in now.
Why not one thing for sure he can prove didn't do it
Old 03-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #1971
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lualca View Post
Hi John,
I think is the best for you to avoid going into Venezuela with the new situation, in our countries (Dominican Rep. in my case) this events creates a very dangerous situation with lots of people in riots in the streets where everything can happens.
Best regards
lualca
Hi lualca,

You're probably right. Alas, I'm not too bright. I think I'll head to Cucuta and see what the situation is. If it looks too hairy, I'll head to Ecuador. I have been very fortunate on this ride. The travel gods are in my favor. I can feel it.

Venezuela is calling. If it's a 911 call I'll let you know. The mountain riding up there is fantastic so I don't really care which side of the border I'm on in the Tres Cordilleras.

In the mean time, Orlando has some great rides for me to take around the Medellin area, so I'll be here for a few days. There's some GREAT riding around Medellin. I'll be reporting back as usual.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan, el gringo no deseado en Venezuela
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #1972
trululu96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Around Medellín

Hi Juanito, there are lots of routes around the city, the one that I would recommend is to go to "el peñol" or the well known "Vuelta a oriente"

Greetings from Medellin
trululu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #1973
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trululu96 View Post
Hi Juanito, there are lots of routes around the city, the one that I would recommend is to go to "el peñol" or the well known "Vuelta a oriente"

Greetings from Medellin
Hi trululu96,

I feel bad that I didn't take the time to drop by and say hola the last time I was in Medellin. I was so busy changing out the front end on the Sherpa and getting it ready to ride and then I left without visiting with you.

My apologies. I am going to go over to Turtlehead Al's hostel in Poblado mañana. Would like to visit with you and have you sign my tank if possible. I'll be in Medellin for a few days I think. I LOVE this town.

Hope to get a chance to meet you amigo.

And yes, trespalacios has told me of La Vuelta a Oriente. I am definitely riding over that way soon.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juanito
Old 03-05-2013, 04:51 PM   #1974
nanox14
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
News

hi guys, like You already know the President died, I live in SAN CRISTOBAL which is like an hour from the Colombian Border, right now here we have a tense calm, people are going to the supermarkets to shop for whatever situation it might happen cuz the next few days are gonna be full of uncertainty,, I don't know whats the situation in Caracas,, so like some of You guys said, my advice is to keep riding in Colombia and have FUN and probably when things settle down a little here in a few days you would come on this direction mate,, cheers
nanox14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #1975
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanox14 View Post
hi guys, like You already know the President died, I live in SAN CRISTOBAL which is like an hour from the Colombian Border, right now here we have a tense calm, people are going to the supermarkets to shop for whatever situation it might happen cuz the next few days are gonna be full of uncertainty,, I don't know whats the situation in Caracas,, so like some of You guys said, my advice is to keep riding in Colombia and have FUN and probably when things settle down a little here in a few days you would come on this direction mate,, cheers
Hi Nanox 14,

Thanks for the local take on current events in Venezuela. I just got a PM from trululu96 here in Medellin, who will have time to go riding this Saturday afternoon. So I think I'll spend a few days in Medellin riding around and see what the situation is next week.

Thanks for the update amigo. Really appreciate it.

Your pal,
Juan Aventura
Old 03-06-2013, 04:52 AM   #1976
estebansos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Nanox 14,

Thanks for the local take on current events in Venezuela. I just got a PM from trululu96 here in Medellin, who will have time to go riding this Saturday afternoon. So I think I'll spend a few days in Medellin riding around and see what the situation is next week.

Thanks for the update amigo. Really appreciate it.

Your pal,
Juan Aventura
Wise. See how events develop in the neighboring country for the next couple of weeks. Then decide. If I were you, I would go straight to Ecuador, Venezuela is very very nice, but Ecuador just surprised me in so many ways.
estebansos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #1977
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by estebansos View Post
Wise. See how events develop in the neighboring country for the next couple of weeks. Then decide. If I were you, I would go straight to Ecuador, Venezuela is very very nice, but Ecuador just surprised me in so many ways.
Ecuador! Que rico! El país que mas me encanta. Anhelo estar ahí. Dicen que esta lloviendo a chorros en Guayaquil actualmente.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:21 PM   #1978
serangelc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Hi there, 'Juanito'

I've been following this post since a couple of weeks ago. That's a great trip you're doing!

If you're going to stay long enough, I can take you to 'la vuelta a oriente' or 'la ruta lechera' next Sunday.

Personally, I don't think that going to Venezuela is such a bad idea. I think it's good to pay attention to how the situation evolves there during a couple of days...

Anyway, keep on enjoying your adventure.

Cheers!

'Saludos desde Medallo parcero'

Samsung GT-I9100 + Tapatalk 2

serangelc screwed with this post 03-06-2013 at 06:31 PM
serangelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #1979
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Left the Palm hostel today. Here are some folks cooking up breakfast in the kitchen there:

Had a pretty good burger and fries around the corner:

The only adventure riding to report today was slicing through traffic as I headed over to stay in a room upstairs over at Al's Shamrock over in the nicer Poblado neighborhood.

At one point I was following a scooter girl with 6 inch red stiletto heels. She was slicing through traffic like a hot knife through butter. That girl could ride. Really fun following along. Heavy Medellin traffic flows like a river as it splits around broken down cars and other obstacles along the way.

Got over to the Shamrock and got a room. Soon got a phone call downstairs from trululu96. He came over on his nice XR250R:

Here is Daniel signing the Sherpa tank:

He suggested a weekend ride to a canyon and spending the night on Saturday. Sounds good to me. So I'll be heading out Saturday morning somewhere fun. In the meantime, I spent the afternoon eating some really good sandwiches made from actually good artisan bread from the health food store next door and thinking about fixing the Sherpa spark plug cap.

Which means that I goofed off, watched the world go by for a while before retiring to my room and watching movies on netflix all evening.

Hasta Mañana,
Juan Medellin
Old 03-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #1980
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serangelc View Post
Hi there, 'Juanito'

I've been following this post since a couple of weeks ago. That's a great trip you're doing!

If you're going to stay long enough, I can take you to 'la vuelta a oriente' or 'la ruta lechera' next Sunday.

Personally, I don't think that going to Venezuela is such a bad idea. I think it's good to pay attention to how the situation evolves there during a couple of days...

Anyway, keep on enjoying your adventure.

Cheers!

'Saludos desde Medallo parcero'

Samsung GT-I9100 + Tapatalk 2
Hi serangelc,

I'm heading out this weekend with trululu96. Maybe the next weekend if I'm still in town. I really like Medellin. I could be here for a while. Not sure.

Saludos desde Poblado,
Juan Doscincuenta