Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM   #1981
serangelc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi serangelc,

I'm heading out this weekend with trululu96. Maybe the next weekend if I'm still in town. I really like Medellin. I could be here for a while. Not sure.

Saludos desde Poblado,
Juan Doscincuenta
Ok. I'll keep an eye on your reports next week.

Saludos.

Samsung GT-I9100 + Tapatalk 2
Old 03-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #1982
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
New title.

Silly sandhills boy goes to South 'merica...again.

I was directed here by another local Nebraska inmate. I will try to catch up, and follow along. Have a fun time JD! Would be cool to have you swing by Bloomfield for Fifth Fest (link in sig) this summer.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #1983
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,943
Quote:
...The only adventure riding to report today was slicing through traffic as I headed over to stay in a room upstairs over at Al's Shamrock over in the nicer Poblado neighborhood.

At one point I was following a scooter girl with 6 inch red stiletto heels. She was slicing through traffic like a hot knife through butter. That girl could ride. Really fun following along. Heavy Medellin traffic flows like a river as it splits around broken down cars and other obstacles along the way.
I love that too, Colombian women are great riders. Be careful hanging out in El Poblado, she has a way of sucking you in.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #1984
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
John, how clean are the beds in these places? Ever have an issue with bedbugs?
1998 Ural Deco
Old 03-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #1985
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Silly sandhills boy goes to South 'merica...again.

I was directed here by another local Nebraska inmate. I will try to catch up, and follow along. Have a fun time JD! Would be cool to have you swing by Bloomfield for Fifth Fest (link in sig) this summer.
Hi fifthcircle,

Nice to have a fellow Cornhusker along for the ride.

Bloomfield is just down the road from Bassett. Not sure where I'll be on Labor Day. That's too far in the future. If I'm in Bassett, I'll make sure to come to the Fifth Fest. Sounds like fun! I miss Nebraska steaks.

Saludos,
Nebraska John
Old 03-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #1986
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I love that too, Colombian women are great riders. Be careful hanging out in El Poblado, she has a way of sucking you in.
Hi MG,

Poblado area of Medellin is pretty dang nice. Not hard to imagine spending some quality time in this neighborhood.

Saludos,
Juan Poblado
Old 03-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #1987
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
John, how clean are the beds in these places? Ever have an issue with bedbugs?
Hi Keithert,

Can't say I've had any problems with bedbugs on this trip. Even the budget hotels and hostels are kept pretty clean by my bachelor standards.

Saludos,
Juan Higienemala
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #1988
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Bedbugs are pretty rare in any relatively cleanly place. Only place I experienced bedbugs was Sarajevo, and that was only one of the three times I stayed in that particular hostel.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #1989
donniemac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Hey Donnie Mac!

So good to hear from you! It was great hanging out with you in Nicaragua. Seems like ages ago.

Colorado. Hey that's right next to Nebraska! We're neighbors. I'll be heading back through Colorado on my way home some day. I'll keep in touch and see if you're still around when I finally wend my way home.

Nice to have you along for the ride amigo!

Saludos,
Rocky Mountain Juan
Yes...Nicaragua does seem like ages ago for sure! I will be leaving Santa Barbara on the 20th and driving to the Aspen Valley...rough SB to Aspen! Yes totally let me know when you will be coming through. By then I will have my 450 and would love to ride a few miles with you and put you up for a few nights and feed you some good American Grub. donniemackenzie@gmail.com

P.S. I would totally do Venezuela! If I know the way you operate...you will! Ride hard Tiger!
Old 03-08-2013, 08:25 AM   #1990
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanox14 View Post
hi guys, like You already know the President died, I live in SAN CRISTOBAL which is like an hour from the Colombian Border, right now here we have a tense calm, people are going to the supermarkets to shop for whatever situation it might happen cuz the next few days are gonna be full of uncertainty,, I don't know whats the situation in Caracas,, so like some of You guys said, my advice is to keep riding in Colombia and have FUN and probably when things settle down a little here in a few days you would come on this direction mate,, cheers
Hola Juanito,

Caracas is totally calm. "Tense" calm as Nanox14 here writes, but calm.
From what I know, the whole country is this way, there is no violence erupting or anything similar... Why would there be? The president died, the same people are still in power... nothing has really changed.

I was actually going on a fishing trip to the Apure plains this weekend, but we got news that the south west of the country has no fuel delivery, so we had to scratch our plans. Not sure if it is the same on the rest of the country, might be, as the operation is run by the state and they've decreted a "stop of activities"... Malls and most commerce has been shut down (forcibly) during the "grieving" period... There seem to be a lot of closed down gas stations in Caracas today, don't know if it is because they don't have any fuel or becuase of the "stop of activities decree"... obviously the ones that are open have unusually "longish" lines...

I'm sure you won't have any problems traveling here, just stay in Colombia for at least one more week until things go back to normal regarding fuel and commerce... Even the Sherpa needs fuel!

I'll report back with any change in news....

Oh yeah... and the CIA gave Chavez his cancer....

SS in Vzla. screwed with this post 03-08-2013 at 08:31 AM
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #1991
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Hola Juanito,

Caracas is totally calm. "Tense" calm as Nanox14 here writes, but calm.
From what I know, the whole country is this way, there is no violence erupting or anything similar... Why would there be? The president died, the same people are still in power... nothing has really changed.

I was actually going on a fishing trip to the Apure plains this weekend, but we got news that the south west of the country has no fuel delivery, so we had to scratch our plans. Not sure if it is the same on the rest of the country, might be, as the operation is run by the state and they've decreted a "stop of activities"... Malls and most commerce has been shut down (forcibly) during the "grieving" period... There seem to be a lot of closed down gas stations in Caracas today, don't know if it is because they don't have any fuel or becuase of the "stop of activities decree"... obviously the ones that are open have unusually "longish" lines...

I'm sure you won't have any problems traveling here, just stay in Colombia for at least one more week until things go back to normal regarding fuel and commerce... Even the Sherpa needs fuel!

I'll report back with any change in news....

Oh yeah... and the CIA gave Chavez his cancer....
Hi Silviu,

Thanks so much for the update. I'll wait a week or two over here in Colombia before heading to Venezuela.

Would hate to have to push the Sherpa too far looking for gas. Although it is good excercise.

Look forward to meeting you somewhere in VZ if you're around and I get through.

Saludos,
Juan Aventura
Old 03-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #1992
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Hi Silviu,

Thanks so much for the update. I'll wait a week or two over here in Colombia before heading to Venezuela.

Would hate to have to push the Sherpa too far looking for gas. Although it is good excercise.

Look forward to meeting you somewhere in VZ if you're around and I get through.

Saludos,
Juan Aventura
Go to El Cocuy N.P while you're still in Colombia (if the weather is nice)... it is a very nice area, specially the dirt roads heading from the towns of Guican to El Cocuy where you can get pretty close to the glaciers.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #1993
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd

Oddometer: 5,647
Quote:
Hi fifthcircle,

Nice to have a fellow Cornhusker along for the ride.

Bloomfield is just down the road from Bassett. Not sure where I'll be on Labor Day. That's too far in the future. If I'm in Bassett, I'll make sure to come to the Fifth Fest. Sounds like fun! I miss Nebraska steaks.

Saludos,
Nebraska John
Ever been to Ron's Small Engine and Auto in Atkinson? That's my uncle

-Kurt
Old 03-08-2013, 12:24 PM   #1994
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
... Malls and most commerce has been shut down (forcibly) during the "grieving" period... becuase of the "stop of activities decree"...
Now, there's a way to promote prosperity among constituents! Stop work...

Let's suffer because the leader who thought he was making things better for us has died.

Reminds me of the old line "The beatings will continue until morale improves!"
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #1995
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Been staying at the Shamrock the last couple of days:

Nice place. Located on a Cul-de-sac where I park the Sherpa during the day:

With a stream running by:

Lots of outdoor cafes to sit at:

and watch the world go by:

Heading out tomorrow with trululu96 somewhere nice. I have no idea where. Sounds like fun though. I'll report back what I find out in the hills this weekend. Not sure if there is any wifi where we're heading so might be Monday before I report back.

I think I fixed the Sherpa. I hope it rains so I can test my spark plug cap repair. The seams in my riding pants are coming apart so I'm spending this evening sewing up my pantalones.

Saludos,
Juan Medellin
Closed Thread