Old 03-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #2101
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
MQMGC.
Ay caramba.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #2102
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 896
Hi John,

Wondering how does it feel getting close to the end of the adventure for this year and when do you estimate it. You offered us great education and entertainment all winter long, much better than any reality show (unlike them, you and your adventures are real). Funds are getting short as I would route some more to your paypal account, but gotta make a big move towards my own destiny
And I hope it will include allot of far away riding, or at least that's my aim.
As I think Throttlemeister said in one of his really early posts, it's almost easier to stay in the grind and not change anything. But I despise that scenario and God willing I want to pull out and do something towards travelling - riding the world. We don't take any of the worldly possessions with us on the other side as some would say. As a friend in Germany said "Last shirt has no pockets".

Best,
Vic
Old 03-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #2103
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
As I think Throttlemeister said in one of his really early posts, it's almost easier to stay in the grind and not change anything.

Best,
Vic

Without a doubt it's easier. It's also much less costly when considering certain things, but you have to ask yourself what you want to do, what you want to experience, and if you're really happy doing what you're doing.

Many people don't realize what people give up to do these trips. You have to be willing to do that to experience what John has done. He'll no doubt be in a tight pinch when he gets back but as you can tell he deals well with stressful situations and is resourceful. I'm sure we'll be seeing him taking another trip in the near future.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #2104
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Without a doubt it's easier. It's also much less costly when considering certain things, but you have to ask yourself what you want to do, what you want to experience, and if you're really happy doing what you're doing.

Many people don't realize what people give up to do these trips. You have to be willing to do that to experience what John has done. He'll no doubt be in a tight pinch when he gets back but as you can tell he deals well with stressful situations and is resourceful. I'm sure we'll be seeing him taking another trip in the near future.
You're not giving up much when you're in your 20's and you have nothing else going on. No girlfriend, no school, no rent? Go for it. I have a lot of respect for you older folks who get it done, I'm sure there really is a lot to give up compared to my pretty easy lifestyle.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #2105
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,701
Quote:

You talking about me I know John will be making at least another trip down to South America, that's the good thing about leaving a bike down there, you got to go back and ride Perfect plan for making yourself go again.

Already looking forward to breaking out of the grind again.

Nice pictures JohnD . What ever happened to Julie and Leidy, those two where my favorites

Leidy made me want to learn a whole lot more Spanish
Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 AM   #2106
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
You're not giving up much when you're in your 20's and you have nothing else going on. No girlfriend, no school, no rent? Go for it. I have a lot of respect for you older folks who get it done, I'm sure there really is a lot to give up compared to my pretty easy lifestyle.
What you giving up is your "pretty easy lifestyle" at home where everything is familiar

Just like with many things in life, much easier to keep up with the same old routine and much harder to change away from the ordinary and go to a foreign land on your motorbike without speaking the language. It's not super hard but takes effort to let go of the easy living life you're used to that's so simple.

Makes you appreciate your "easy lifestyle" even more now that you gave it up for so many months.
If it really is that first mile from home of any trip that is the hardest to break away from the ordinary, then the second hardest mile has to be that last one coming back. Wouldn't make a difference if I was 8 or 80.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #2107
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,867
looks like the Shamrock was hopping for St Patty's!

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Old 03-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #2108
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
looks like the Shamrock was hopping for St Patty's!
Hi MG,

The Shamrock was hopping all weekend. The internet has been down here for the last couple days so I haven't been able to report back. Live Irish fiddle music last night had the crowd whooping.

Saludos,
Juan Shamrock
Old 03-18-2013, 12:27 PM   #2109
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
You talking about me I know John will be making at least another trip down to South America, that's the good thing about leaving a bike down there, you got to go back and ride Perfect plan for making yourself go again.

Already looking forward to breaking out of the grind again.

Nice pictures JohnD . What ever happened to Julie and Leidy, those two where my favorites

Leidy made me want to learn a whole lot more Spanish
Hi TM,

Things change quickly in the tourist service business. No Julie or Leidy here now. I'll ask where they went, but you have to remember it's been a while since you were here.

Cheers,
Juan Naybraska
Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #2110
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Okay Throttlemeister,

I checked into your Shamrock girlfriends and it turns out that Leidy is no longer here, but the one you call Julie is actually Yudy and she is still working for Albert in his other business. Here is her picture today when she stopped in:

She got a kick out of the pic you took of her two years ago back when her hair was short, and I emailed it to her.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 08:57 PM
Old 03-18-2013, 01:01 PM   #2111
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Hi John,

Wondering how does it feel getting close to the end of the adventure for this year and when do you estimate it. You offered us great education and entertainment all winter long, much better than any reality show (unlike them, you and your adventures are real). Funds are getting short as I would route some more to your paypal account, but gotta make a big move towards my own destiny
And I hope it will include allot of far away riding, or at least that's my aim.
As I think Throttlemeister said in one of his really early posts, it's almost easier to stay in the grind and not change anything. But I despise that scenario and God willing I want to pull out and do something towards travelling - riding the world. We don't take any of the worldly possessions with us on the other side as some would say. As a friend in Germany said "Last shirt has no pockets".

Best,
Vic
Hi Vic,

I like to think of my ADVriding as ongoing. I just have to take a break to go back and make some more money. My current idea is to park the Sherpa in Colombia, fly home for the summer to work and come back next fall when the weather turns to crap in the northern plains. We'll see how that works out. I actually like working and doing creative useful things for others, so it's not like I dread going home. I'm having fun painting the front of the Shamrock and fixing things around here. The guy around the corner needs someone to wire his new house and tile the bathrooms, so I could probably work down here for the rest of my natural life. But the pay is better in Nebraska. So it makes sense to work there and play in third world.

And yes, save your money for your own adventures. I would be home reading ride reports if it hadn't been for the generous donations of fellow riders. Probably when the Sherpa got smacked coming off the boat I would have had to fly home and regroup.

But the paypal donation thing is not approved of on ADVrider so I'll try to think up some other creative solution and pass along anything I learn. It is okay to put a small link to a website where you sell things like books, dvds, stickers, tee shirts that sort of thing. But soliciting money outright is forbidden in the ride report rules. I didn't really understand that in the beginning since I never read the ride report rules.

Look forward to reading your future ride reports.

Saludos,
Juan Periodista
Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2112
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:

Hi Shibby!,

You are absolutely right. Taking off on these trips is a major undertaking and the more complicated your life is the harder it is to do. And I will be broke when I get home.I don't care. I've been a contractor living on the edge for decades. There are no guarantees in life.

You don't have to take off for months in order to have fun. In my younger years I was lucky to take off a week or two. You can have a lot of fun in a couple weeks. There are so many beautiful places to ride around the U.S.

Or the time I flew to Costa Rica in February for two weeks. It didn't cost that much. Less than 2 grand for a flight, 12 days bike rental and cheap hostels. And it was such a refreshing break from the middle of winter.

Not everyone can take off for a few months at a time that has a job and family to take care of. That doesn't mean you can't hit the long road from time to time and get a new perspective on life even if you have to ride like hell to get back to work on Monday and the scenery is a little blurry .

I like to think of it as ADVtherapy.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero
Old 03-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #2113
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Hi Clem Kevin,

When you're in your twenties and have the time and desire you often don't have the money. But that is the easiest time to take off on a long road trip. Which is why I hope to encourage young folks to think about traveling minimalist on a less expensive bike and not get trapped into the idea that you have to have a lot of expensive gear to go far.

If you're young and reading this and have a couple thousand bucks, a bike and the time, do it now, before you have a family, mortgage, full time job etc.

Saludos,
Juan Abuelo
Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #2114
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Okay Throttlemeister,

I checked into your Shamrock girlfriends and it turns out that Leidy is no longer here, but the one you call Julie is actually Yudy and she is still working for Albert in his other business. Here is her picture today when whe stopped in:

She got a kick out of the pic you took of her two years ago back when her hair was short, and I emailed it to her.

Saludos,
Juanito
I was going to say that the only pictures I had where two years ago and not from last March when I was back in town. I was going to find it very hard to believe Albert let "Yudy" go down the road, she's a keeper and very sharp cookie, love the good old rock and roll too.

Shame Leidy was not still there, I thought she was one of the hardest working girls in Medellin.

Thanks for the update and tell Julie, I mean Yudy I said hello.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM   #2115
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,363
Blessed wisdom, fellow abuelito.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Closed Thread