User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #2116
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,289
Blessed wisdom, fellow abuelito.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #2117
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Clem Kevin,

When you're in your twenties and have the time and desire you often don't have the money. But that is the easiest time to take off on a long road trip. Which is why I hope to encourage young folks to think about traveling minimalist on a less expensive bike and not get trapped into the idea that you have to have a lot of expensive gear to go far.

If you're young and reading this and have a couple thousand bucks, a bike and the time, do it now, before you have a family, mortgage, full time job etc.

Saludos,
Juan Abuelo
This is why I'm moving back in with my Mom at 27 after graduating college this summer, to save and do exactly what you're doing come fall 2014.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #2118
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
This is why I'm moving back in with my Mom at 27 after graduating college this summer, to save and do exactly what you're doing come fall 2014.
Now you're talking my kind of language! Low overhead and save your pesos. I wish I was as smart as you at 27. Hope to see you down the road!

Happy trails,
Juan Pobro
Old 03-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2119
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Now you're talking my kind of language! Low overhead and save your pesos. I wish I was as smart as you at 27. Hope to see you down the road!

Happy trails,
Juan Pobro
You'll have to ship out to Europe with me when I'm done with SA. I'd love a fellow non-drinking travel partner. ha
Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #2120
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Hi Vic,

I like to think of my ADVriding as ongoing. I just have to take a break to go back and make some more money. My current idea is to park the Sherpa in Colombia, fly home for the summer to work and come back next fall when the weather turns to crap in the northern plains. We'll see how that works out. I actually like working and doing creative useful things for others, so it's not like I dread going home. I'm having fun painting the front of the Shamrock and fixing things around here. The guy around the corner needs someone to wire his new house and tile the bathrooms, so I could probably work down here for the rest of my natural life. But the pay is better in Nebraska. So it makes sense to work there and play in third world.

And yes, save your money for your own adventures. I would be home reading ride reports if it hadn't been for the generous donations of fellow riders. Probably when the Sherpa got smacked coming off the boat I would have had to fly home and regroup.

But the paypal donation thing is not approved of on ADVrider so I'll try to think up some other creative solution and pass along anything I learn. It is okay to put a small link to a website where you sell things like books, dvds, stickers, tee shirts that sort of thing. But soliciting money outright is forbidden in the ride report rules. I didn't really understand that in the beginning since I never read the ride report rules.

Look forward to reading your future ride reports.

Saludos,
Juan Periodista
Hi John,

I am sure returning home will be also a nice time for you to revel in the beautiful memories of the trip and relax for a while in the "normal" life. I don't know about others, but as I look at myself I realize I still would need to have a small place called home where to be able to return when my heart needs rest after a lot of travel, if even just to regroup for my next adventure. I really like recollecting my past trips, reviewing pictures and videos, and I remember every detail, especially people I met. Maybe you could write some of yours down more formally and publish. I have purchased and read few Kindle e-books from Amazon by some recent moto travels and I would think yours can be just as good if not better; some were actually their own ADV reports edited for publishing. It looks easy to publish once you have done the work of writing. If it sells for few dollars a copy, it would not make you rich but perhaps bring a nice additional income to supplement the travel budget. I realize there is a line between generously sharing the experiences here for free, and going all out just to make money from publishing but I think the two do not exclude each other, on the contrary. And it is for those travelers like yourself who have the spirit of sharing that make the joy of this community and I can think of no other web site I spent more time in the last few months, barely scratching the surface, reading only few of the virtuoso masters out here ride reports, some more flamboyant than other's.
As such, I would be very interested in reading more in depth your practical advice on how you found and picked your accommodations, food, staying healthy, dealing with all aspects of unplanned events, what you think is important in a trip like this, and your own impressions and judgment of things of the places and people encountered, what you enjoyed most, or not enjoyed so much. So it could be a practical guide book, a pure literary work or a combination of both. I think the later would have a bigger audience even many non riding readers would appreciate.

I hope I will one day be able to give something back with a ride report worthy of publishing here.

Kindest Regards,
Vic
Old 03-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #2121
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
You're not giving up much when you're in your 20's and you have nothing else going on. No girlfriend, no school, no rent? Go for it. I have a lot of respect for you older folks who get it done, I'm sure there really is a lot to give up compared to my pretty easy lifestyle.

Some people are different stages in life at different times. Albeit I don't have a family, kids, etc, I do have a dog and house. I was also in my 20's when I decided to rent it out for 6 months and leave.

It's slow going, but I am attempting to raise enough funds to go again in the next year or two for 6-8 months. I got the bright idea to buy another dirt bike this week though. haha. Those can be sold with only depreciation and maintenance in mind though.

John, I'd like to hear more about leaving a bike down there. Everything I've read has a lot of red tape with leaving anything in a country past a certain time (depending on country).

Eager ears await.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #2122
GeneC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Still here

Hey John,

Just want you to know that I still check your report every day and as many have mentioned, really appreciate you sharing your journey with us. I've learned a lot on many levels.

All the best,
Gene
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #2123
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
What you giving up is your "pretty easy lifestyle" at home where everything is familiar

Just like with many things in life, much easier to keep up with the same old routine and much harder to change away from the ordinary and go to a foreign land on your motorbike without speaking the language. It's not super hard but takes effort to let go of the easy living life you're used to that's so simple.

Makes you appreciate your "easy lifestyle" even more now that you gave it up for so many months.
If it really is that first mile from home of any trip that is the hardest to break away from the ordinary, then the second hardest mile has to be that last one coming back. Wouldn't make a difference if I was 8 or 80.
I realized you put into words exactly the duality of my own thoughts. Being on the road after camping many days in cold and wet weather, sometimes eating one meal a day covering distances, longing for the comfort and warmth of being home, yet once returned having soon again the itch to leave, dreaming about riding to new imaginary far and distant places.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:07 PM   #2124
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
I realized you put into words exactly the duality of my own thoughts. Being on the road after camping many days in cold and wet weather, sometimes eating one meal a day covering distances, longing for the comfort and warmth of being home, yet once returned having soon again the itch to leave, dreaming about riding to new imaginary far and distant places.
Life isn't good enough until you take yourself to the edge of the earth and realize it again. It's a vicious cycle. Good thing I never got into drugs.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #2125
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:

If you're young and reading this and have a couple thousand bucks, a bike and the time, do it now, before you have a family, mortgage, full time job etc.
That statement should be on a giant billboard in every town in the USA.

While I would never say I regret anything I have done or the decisions I have made, I will admit to getting entrenched in the propaganda that says you have to go to college immediately after H.S., or into military service, then get a job/career right away,...and then after a few years of eeking out a living, get married and have a couple of young'uns.

I loved being a Marine, a cop for over 20 years, gots my BS and MS, and three great kids,...but man, I wish I would've been smart enough to take 6 months to a year "off" and seen much of the world on a motorcycle before I got weighted down with a mortgage, diaper changes, and student loans!
VooDooDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:28 AM   #2126
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
I wish I would've been smart enough to take 6 months to a year "off" and seen much of the world on a motorcycle before I got weighted down with a mortgage, diaper changes, and student loans!
The problem is, once you start, you don't want to stop. I have zero interest in a career, family, mortgage, anything. I'm only in school because I was offered a full ride. If I weren't here, I'd be working my bullshit retail job saving to travel year after year. Wanderlust and the need for adrenaline are my source for inspiration, and I don't really think you can beat them. I fear John is falling victim to the same disease.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #2127
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,552
Cool2

Thank goodness working nights pays more $. Quicker way back to ADVentredom.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #2128
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns
...I like to think of my ADVriding as ongoing. I just have to take a break to go back and make some more money. ... it's not like I dread going home. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
...I am sure returning home will be also a nice time for you ... I realize I still would need to have a small place called home where to be able to return when my heart needs rest after a lot of travel, ... I really like recollecting my past trips...
They say "home is where the heart is", in which sense some of us may have multiple "homes". However, most of us have ties to a particular spot in the world which we consider our main home. There is a sense of love, familiarity, security, and comfort associated with what we call home. It's our haven where we come to feel safe to rest. Some people may be able to sustain a nomadic lifestyle, but generally they travel in groups for their sense of security. Most of us feel the need for a place we belong. Having a place to call home seems to me to be a large part of what makes travel so fascinating.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #2129
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
They say "home is where the heart is", in which sense some of us may have multiple "homes". However, most of us have ties to a particular spot in the world which we consider our main home. There is a sense of love, familiarity, security, and comfort associated with what we call home. It's our haven where we come to feel safe to rest. Some people may be able to sustain a nomadic lifestyle, but generally they travel in groups for their sense of security. Most of us feel the need for a place we belong. Having a place to call home seems to me to be a large part of what makes travel so fascinating.
Hi ONandOFF,

I can only speak for myself, but I am at home wherever the people are friendly, warm and accepting of me. Right now that is Medellin. Soon it will be back in Bassett, Nebraska. And later this summer it will be Oregon. And then again when I save some money it will be South America once again. Hopefully by next fall.

At the same time I am a stranger in a strange land wherever I go. I don't personally find comfort in groups. I like traveling solo through life and on the road. Stopping wherever feels nice. And blowing through areas that aren't. I don't mind riding with others for a day or so. But being able to go wherever you want is a freedom I enjoy as well.

But here's the thing. Everyone is different. I know I am. For me at least, I do agree that there is a balance. I like traveling. And I like coming back to by current home in Nebraska. It is the people that make the difference. Which may be why I like hanging out with other inmates on ADVrider. I have more affinity with fellow travelers on ADVrider than I do with normal people.

And with today's technology, I like hanging out in the evening with folks like you and others who comment on this ride report. We are much more connected than when I first started vagabonding around the world so many decades ago. Back then I had no contact with anyone from home. Other than sending back an occasional postcard from Nepal to let people know I was still alive. Now, I can update this ride report often and anyone I know can check out what's going on in my life.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 03-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #2130
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
The problem is, once you start, you don't want to stop. I have zero interest in a career, family, mortgage, anything. I'm only in school because I was offered a full ride. If I weren't here, I'd be working my bullshit retail job saving to travel year after year. Wanderlust and the need for adrenaline are my source for inspiration, and I don't really think you can beat them. I fear John is falling victim to the same disease.
Hi Clem Kevin,

ADVriding and travel are a disease and there is no cure. In my case, I enjoy a balance of work and travel. I enjoy working and I enjoy traveling.

Riding a bike 15,000 miles zig-zagging down to South America is fun, but challenging. It is nice to take a break from riding to make myself useful here in Medellin. Finished painting the front of Al's pub today and fixed the sign up on the roof before the rains set in. Tomorrow I will mortar the roofing tiles in place that got knocked off when the boys in the dorm jumped up on the roof to get back in last week. As well as ride over and find some concrete slabs to mortar in place in front of the place to make a nice flat space for the sidewalk tables.

Saludos,
Juanito