Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #2221
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
It was Palm Sunday so everyone coming out of the church had some kind of palm frond:

I stopped again down the way and noticed this bamboo post holding up several tons of corner weight on a building. I tapped this post and let me tell you, I am impressed with the compression weight bamboo can withstand:

I broke my left mirror again when I was in Guatape whenever I was there last. It snapped as I parked under the stairs. I was at such a loss today without that mirror; So I was looking everywhere for a repuestos de moto. Of course nobody is open on Sunday. Excepty Anna Maria:

and she rolled down the doors as soon as she sold me an izquierda espejo (left mirror).

Then it was a quick trip back to Medellin on the main road. I didn't bring my passport or bike papers so when I passed a Policia truck at twice the posted speed limit and he lit me up and started chasing me, Ay carumba, I split lanes like a pizza bike and left him in the dust. Took a right and powered up the hill blowing through red lights. No, I'm not proud of what I did. But no way I'm getting a ticket on a moto. My finances are limited.

Buenos noches mis amigos de aventura,
Juan Rapido
Hell around here you cant find a shop open on sunday so apparently SA is better as far as that goes . The parts people are a bit nicer looking it seems .lol

Plus no dealer around here stock any mirrors that will screw in the hole on the sherpa ..... I know .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:34 PM   #2222
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Hell around here you cant find a shop open on sunday so apparently SA is better as far as that goes . The parts people are a bit nicer looking it seems .lol

Plus no dealer around here stock any mirrors that will screw in the hole on the sherpa ..... I know .
Hi Hawk62cj5,

I was lucky today. Not only are the parts people better looking, but you can find anything you need in Colombia. Even on a Sunday. It's moto heaven around here. Left mirror for a Kawasaki Super Sherpa. Let me check. Yeah, we got it. Under 4 bucks. SWEET. I'll take it!!!!

Saludos,
Juan Repuestos
Old 03-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #2223
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,301
Quote:
.... No, I'm not proud of what I did. But no way I'm getting a ticket on a moto. My finances are limited. Buenos noches mis amigos de aventura, Juan Rapido

No one was hurt, eh? Nothing damaged? All cool, then. Good job. They're probably telling each other que bien anda ese tipo. No es como si estuviera aquí, donde soltarían los helicópteros.

It's great that you're learning more Spanish. You hit the nail on the head with conversing. Now that you mention it, I agree it really opens a lot of doors. How about when you talk about roads and towns? Siempre dicen, hablando de mi, "este gringo conoce a mi país mas que yo!" They really respect the effort we make to speak their language and to know about their country.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #2224
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good for Nick! He's late for Ushuaia this year. May be too cold by late March. So many young guys out there right now ... doing it. But don't forget our seniors either: Ted Simon, Lew & Punky and Simon Gandolphi on his 125.

The most important, IMHO and one of the early minimalists has to be Austin Vince, director of Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa. He did two RTW rides, made films of both:
http://www.mondoenduro.com/mondoenduro.html
http://www.mondoenduro.com/terracirca.html

Aboard 350 Suzuki DR's, these guys were all stars. Austin's future wife also made inroads, Lois on The Loose did AK to South America on a XT225 and then Africa on a XT250 ... SOLO! She wrote books about both trips.
[IMG cut]

Recently here on ADV Rider one of my favorite reports is Brit Nathan (nathanthepostman) Milward's ride documented here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=moped+named

Nate's book "The Long Ride Home" sits on my travel book shelf now. It's not bad ... but his ride report is better. No color pics in his book. Good Moto travel writers are rare. My favs are Dan Walsh and Ted Simon.
[IMG cut]
There's a ton of great information here, man. Thanks for sharing this with everybody. It's gonna take me some time to check out all this stuff. I'm putting it on my list. It takes a unique individual to take off and run around in unknown foreign lands. I'm particularly humbled by women going solo. Most gals I know are way too pampered and protected to even try something like this much less be successful.

I gave Nick the name Manolito on here who lives in Rio Gallegos for him to contact to see how things are down there now. Ulyses was cold a couple-three weeks ago. I wouldn't want to go down there now.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #2225
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
It takes a unique individual to take off and run around in unknown foreign lands. I'm particularly humbled by women going solo. Most gals I know are way too pampered and protected to even try something like this much less be successful.
Hey OnAndOff!

Check this one out too, it will keep you entertained for quite a while.
http://sherrijosbecauseicanworldtour.blogspot.com/

Best,
Vic
Old 03-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #2226
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
I didn't bring my passport or bike papers so when I passed a Policia truck at twice the posted speed limit and he lit me up and started chasing me, Ay carumba, I split lanes like a pizza bike and left him in the dust. Took a right and powered up the hill blowing through red lights. No, I'm not proud of what I did. But no way I'm getting a ticket on a moto. My finances are limited.

Buenos noches mis amigos de aventura,
Juan Rapido
Hi John,

I would feel quite good about what you accomplished, it's survival of the fittest Who knows if money was the only thing they were after. I figure it takes some cojones to run from Colombian police and successfully pull that off. Like in a James Bond movie.

Cheers!
Vic
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 AM   #2227
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Minimalist! It's a disease. There's no cure.
Damn Straight. But it's not a disease, it is a cure.

Its like the whole "New Normal" crap being spewed here. Oh..My..God, don't spend money you haven't earned, don't buy things if you can't pay, maybe don't go to the movies and spend $30 every weekend. It isn't new, it isn't normal...it was the Old Practical and Sensible before everyone started living on credit and taking out loans they couldn't reasonably expect to repay. I saw a "helpful hint" which was to budget "only" $200 a month for clothing. Who needs $200 a month, every month, for clothing???

I find a key toward happiness is to have less, but make sure what you have is good quality.

I feel it also relates to the ability to shift one's perspective. One can label themselves as "poor" and there can be a sense of "being a victim". Or, one can consider themselves "frugal". Frugal is a choice, and having a choice in itself if freeing.

I bought a Ninja 250 nearly 10 years ago. Money was tight, but it was used and affordable. I found a great online forum, and learned to be my own mechanic. Its been an excellent affordable bike, and its taken me on some great (if quite short by advrider standards) rides.

Here in S. Oregon there is a ton of great paved roads, and even more "unimproved" ones. I love to explore, and while my Ninja is a "cheap bike" , I choose not to abuse it too much. So over the past three years I saved a portion of my income to buy a small dualsport. This weekend I bought a nicely farkled 2000 Sherpa from an inmate here. Now I have my "streetbike" and my "dualsport". I have spent less than $3500 on two bikes that can take me really anywhere I want.

John, you have it right. You don't have to be rich, you don't have have a huge or expensive bike. Affordable bikes have left me more money for nice gear and tools which work on any bike. "Do More With Less" is a great motto.

If / when you get to S. Oregon, I would love to buy you a lunch or such. I have really enjoyed reading your ride report.
Voidrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 AM   #2228
UncleR
KLiX are for kids

Oddometer: 14

They were drinking coffee and looked like locals. I was too shy to go up and introduce myself. Nice bikes though.

John,
What? I'm curious about this comment and surprised, as I've seen you go out of your way, and travel hundreds of miles to simply meet someone. You don't strike me as one who would be intimidated in this situation and you're certainly comfortable with who you are. Has this RR given you a voice though, and allowed you to express more of yourself - or is this a straight reflection of who you are in person?

For me, I can't figure out if I'm shy, or just don't like people.
UncleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #2229
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider View Post

Its like the whole "New Normal" crap being spewed here. Oh..My..God, don't spend money you haven't earned, don't buy things if you can't pay, maybe don't go to the movies and spend $30 every weekend. It isn't new, it isn't normal...it was the Old Practical and Sensible before everyone started living on credit and taking out loans they couldn't reasonably expect to repay. I saw a "helpful hint" which was to budget "only" $200 a month for clothing. Who needs $200 a month, every month, for clothing???

I find a key toward happiness is to have less, but make sure what you have is good quality.

I feel it also relates to the ability to shift one's perspective. One can label themselves as "poor" and there can be a sense of "being a victim". Or, one can consider themselves "frugal". Frugal is a choice, and having a choice in itself if freeing.

I bought a Ninja 250 nearly 10 years ago. Money was tight, but it was used and affordable. I found a great online forum, and learned to be my own mechanic. Its been an excellent affordable bike, and its taken me on some great (if quite short by advrider standards) rides.

Here in S. Oregon there is a ton of great paved roads, and even more "unimproved" ones. I love to explore, and while my Ninja is a "cheap bike" , I choose not to abuse it too much. So over the past three years I saved a portion of my income to buy a small dualsport. This weekend I bought a nicely farkled 2000 Sherpa from an inmate here. Now I have my "streetbike" and my "dualsport". I have spent less than $3500 on two bikes that can take me really anywhere I want.

John, you have it right. You don't have to be rich, you don't have have a huge or expensive bike. Affordable bikes have left me more money for nice gear and tools which work on any bike. "Do More With Less" is a great motto.

If / when you get to S. Oregon, I would love to buy you a lunch or such. I have really enjoyed reading your ride report.
Great post this one, we are headed to "own less and live more".

What we own is good gear but it is not a lot of it and we have never bought anything we couldn't afford or never put anything on tick with the bank etc.

Funny thing is when you analyse what your ACTUALLY use it is very little and we still see people one up on an adv bike with more gear than us two up.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #2230
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider View Post

"Do More With Less" is a great motto.
HOLY ALL of THIS.

I will have been out of work for two years this July 19th. I do own rental property, and that helps, and I had savings... the biggest thing I have done that helped me is to reduce my overhead over time... I live in a cheap house in an ok, not great, neighborhood. My truck and moto are paid for. Credit card debt, what is that???? I pay child support. I have made a conscious decision to live frugally...

I have owned two dual sport bikes the last 3ish years. Both cost around $1500 each, leaving plenty of cash for safety gear and farkles.

I have time to fix things instead of pay to have them fixed.

I cook epic meals at home because I have the time, and save a ton because of this.

I sleep well and soundly. I think about money but don't sweat it. It is a good place to be, not looking over your fiscal shoulder all the time.

Do I want some nice things and don't buy them? you bet. I pick wisely. Totally worth it to be able to not care and not worry.

Less, as it turns out for me, is more...
Old 03-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #2231
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 864
Damn you guys and your cheap non-CA registered dual sports.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #2232
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Thanks for taking me along for the ride. I've been fascinated since day 1. When you disclosed your total budget I was in awe that anyone could do this on such a shoestring. Your Sherpa 250 is a great bike, perfect for smelling the roses, and never one to leave you stranded.

I have an idea....please continue this story from the perspective of a world traveler returning home. I want to hear how you receive the USA after being alone and out on your own for so long. I also want to know how you prepare for the next leg of your journey.

Thank you again for the excellent read thus far. And for the lessons in masonry, I never knew I cared, but it's fascinating to me.
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #2233
cavebiker
Old School Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Thumb

Doing It All!

www.JustAdventureTravel.net
cavebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 PM   #2234
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Dear John,

If you are still reading this, this looks like it may likely be one of the few last posts in your RR thread which seems have come to an end. It has been much more for me than just that. It has been a discovery into the realm of our inner thoughts and a way to share them. I never knew there is a gate to the ADV community like this before, where like minded people who love motorcycles, travel and above all - philosophy of life - congregate. I have perused other reports but for some reason this was the one I choose to funnel my attention here. It was your minimalistic approach that made it interesting. And it did not disappoint. Truthfully, life is not all roses but you certainly made sure to make it come across this way as such. There is a need for evil (such as running from policia) as well as allot of good. Without having both, and in equilibrium, the world would succumb. I would love to read a more detailed and insightful essay of your travels however realize it takes work which may not be on your agenda.
Can't really thank you enough for this but if words can describe it I would say it made a difference in my otherwise boring and momentarily constrained existence.

Kindest regards,
Vic
Old 03-25-2013, 08:16 PM   #2235
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Dear John,

If you are still reading this, this looks like it may likely be one of the few last posts in your RR thread which seems have come to an end. It has been much more for me than just that. It has been a discovery into the realm of our inner thoughts and a way to share them. I never knew there is a gate to the ADV community like this before, where like minded people who love motorcycles, travel and above all - philosophy of life - congregate. I have perused other reports but for some reason this was the one I choose to funnel my attention here. It was your minimalistic approach that made it interesting. And it did not disappoint. Truthfully, life is not all roses but you certainly made sure to make it come across this way as such. There is a need for evil (such as running from policia) as well as allot of good. Without having both, and in equilibrium, the world would succumb. I would love to read a more detailed and insightful essay of your travels however realize it takes work which may not be on your agenda.
Can't really thank you enough for this but if words can describe it I would say it made a difference in my otherwise boring and momentarily constrained existence.

Kindest regards,
Vic
Very well written Vic, us being on the road too we have followed Johns adventures with true respect, an article sent to us conveys a lot of this in a funny way and Johns adventure is the perfect example.

If anyone is interested in reading it I think you will find it very good.

http://www.raptitude.com/2010/07/you...been-designed/
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote