Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #2236
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Dear John,

If you are still reading this, this looks like it may likely be one of the few last posts in your RR thread which seems have come to an end. It has been much more for me than just that. It has been a discovery into the realm of our inner thoughts and a way to share them. I never knew there is a gate to the ADV community like this before, where like minded people who love motorcycles, travel and above all - philosophy of life - congregate. I have perused other reports but for some reason this was the one I choose to funnel my attention here. It was your minimalistic approach that made it interesting. And it did not disappoint. Truthfully, life is not all roses but you certainly made sure to make it come across this way as such. There is a need for evil (such as running from policia) as well as allot of good. Without having both, and in equilibrium, the world would succumb. I would love to read a more detailed and insightful essay of your travels however realize it takes work which may not be on your agenda.
Can't really thank you enough for this but if words can describe it I would say it made a difference in my otherwise boring and momentarily constrained existence.

Kindest regards,
Vic
Hi Vic,

The internet has been down here for a day or so and funny enough, I haven't been reading this. Always good to see this ride report is just as interesting when I'm not around.

I'm still hanging out in Medellin doing a work exchange for the next three weeks until I catch a flight back to the States. Have to go back and earn some money so I can come back down next fall and continue on.

This ride report is just getting started. South America is huge and I've only hit the first country south of Panama. Hope to keep you entertained next winter as well.

Saludos,
Juan Poblado
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 AM   #2237
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Very well written Vic, us being on the road too we have followed Johns adventures with true respect, an article sent to us conveys a lot of this in a funny way and Johns adventure is the perfect example.

If anyone is interested in reading it I think you will find it very good.

http://www.raptitude.com/2010/07/you...been-designed/
Hi Andi and Ellen,

Have to go catch up on your ride report now that I have more reading time. Checked out the link. And yes, it is easy to get trapped in consumerism if you're not careful. It is definitely going against the grain of first world economies to shun shiny new things in favor of a frugal lifestyle. Easy to get ingrained with subtle Puritan work ethic as well where I come from that shuns months of idle wandering around the globe.

Couple that with the news media that portrays the world as a dangerous place, and friends and loved ones that parrot what they've read second hand and it is amazing anyone travels to foreign lands.

Thank goodness there are ADVriders who know better.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 03-26-2013, 02:52 AM   #2238
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadman View Post
Thanks for taking me along for the ride. I've been fascinated since day 1. When you disclosed your total budget I was in awe that anyone could do this on such a shoestring. Your Sherpa 250 is a great bike, perfect for smelling the roses, and never one to leave you stranded.

I have an idea....please continue this story from the perspective of a world traveler returning home. I want to hear how you receive the USA after being alone and out on your own for so long. I also want to know how you prepare for the next leg of your journey.

Thank you again for the excellent read thus far. And for the lessons in masonry, I never knew I cared, but it's fascinating to me.
Hi Shadman,

I will continue reporting back. I am in a very cosmopolitan city in a pleasant neighborhood here in Medellin, so I imagine it will be nice to get back to the third world in the Sandhills of Nebraska. Although I am in no hurry. I checked the weather and it was -10C and snowing. Probably hang around in Arizona until May when the northern plains is warming up.

Saludos,
Juan Buenaclima
Old 03-26-2013, 06:02 AM   #2239
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Very well written Vic, us being on the road too we have followed Johns adventures with true respect, an article sent to us conveys a lot of this in a funny way and Johns adventure is the perfect example.

If anyone is interested in reading it I think you will find it very good.

http://www.raptitude.com/2010/07/you...been-designed/
Hi Grüvers !

Thanks for the kind words and sharing the article.
I wholeheartedly agree with those views on life. It takes a powerful spirit to flip that internal switch and go off the grid so to speak. But I am working at planning mine when am not completely immersed in reading ADV ride reports

I only read your RR to a point and am happy to learn that you are doing well.
Will be following you further.

Best,
Vic
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #2240
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,328
Quote:
... this was the one I choose to funnel my attention here. ... if words can describe it I would say it made a difference in my otherwise boring and momentarily constrained existence. ...
Right on! Gracias a usted, don Juan Aventurero!

And thanks for the article, TMK.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #2241
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Vic,

The internet has been down here for a day or so and funny enough, I haven't been reading this. Always good to see this ride report is just as interesting when I'm not around.

I'm still hanging out in Medellin doing a work exchange for the next three weeks until I catch a flight back to the States. Have to go back and earn some money so I can come back down next fall and continue on.

This ride report is just getting started. South America is huge and I've only hit the first country south of Panama. Hope to keep you entertained next winter as well.

Saludos,
Juan Poblado
Hi John,

Yes, I was wondering about this; the thread title is "South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa..."

Regards,
Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #2242
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post
Hi John,

Yes, I was wondering about this; the thread title is "South America and back on a 250 Super Sherpa..."

Regards,
Harry
Hi Harry,

Exactly. It might take a while though.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero
Old 03-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #2243
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 468
Big Sign in the window.

Saw big sign in the window of the department store, reminded me of John's title "and back".

"Big Sale, Starts Tomorrow" does tomorrow ever come?
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #2244
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 675
Still have time to go to La pintada o Matasanos or go southeast via Santa Elena. I'm not writing you off yet Juanito

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #2245
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Still have time to go to La pintada o Matasanos or go southeast via Santa Elena. I'm not writing you off yet Juanito
Hi Ricardo,

I'm checking maps.google.com right now.

Although this evening I've had to go down to get internet access since the wifi is out at the Shamrock. I was sitting in my room and was listening to the roar of the neighborhood as Venezuela is playing Colombia in a tight football match. My windows were open to let in fresh air, and I can't tell you how loud the neighborhood is whenever someone makes a great play. It's incredible! The Shamrock is packed with football fans watching the game on the big screen. The announcers are great. GOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately that was Venezuela. 1-0. But it's still early.

Reminds me of when I was watching the World Cup in Bangkok years ago. Soccer is such a big sport around the world. And believe me, Colombianos love their home team!

Saludos,
Juan Amante del Futbol
Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #2246
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,328
Matasanos?

A lo mejor una metáfora para jugadores de fútbol....
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:02 PM   #2247
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Hi Vic,

Saludos,
Juan Poblado
Hi John,

As am watching a movie about Indian guru's I cant help but think about you.
The interesting part is that the movie portrays a self appointed guru who is a person that really only wants to find out what this followers are finding so addictive about real guru's. Which according to him are very few if any at all. Yet it all works and makes people feel good, a sense of reason in life. I believe you have allot more to share from your travel wisdom but for some reason are selective in doing so with us your minimalist wannabe disciples. It's not just a ride report where pictures are the main reason. You must write that book

Best,
Vic
Old 03-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #2248
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

So I went down the street for a stroll to see what the big deal was with Colombia futbol.

Everywhere I went around the neighborhood people were cheering on the Colombian home team. Let me tell you. Colombians are out in the streets cheering their national team on. It's pretty awesome. These people are passionate.

Saludos,
Juan Futbol
Old 03-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #2249
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Hi John,

As am watching a movie about Indian guru's I cant help but think about you.
The interesting part is that the movie portrays a self appointed guru who is a person that really only wants to find out what this followers are finding so addictive about real guru's. Which according to him are very few if any at all. Yet it all works and makes people feel good, a sense of reason in life. I believe you have allot more to share from your travel wisdom but for some reason are selective in doing so with us your minimalist wannabe disciples. It's not just a ride report where pictures are the main reason. You must write that book

Best,
Vic
Hi Vic,

This is the book. I'll look into other options when I get home. An ongoing live ride report is better than most books I've read about motorcycle travel. I will definitely look into making some Sultan of South America T-shirts for next fall.

Saludos,
Juan Sultana

JDowns screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 07:18 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #2250
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Hi Vic,

This is the book. Although I'll look into other options when I get home, a live ride report is better than most books I've read about motorcycle travel.
Dear John,

Indeed it's great to have the live report. It's like a book that talks back to you as you write it. Can't have enough of your stories though, the first hand knowledge about travelling in Central and South Amerca which when I will be doing my RTW ride I'd appreciate to draw advice from. Things that may seem trivial to you now are great advice for a newbie travelling to South America.

Much appreciated,
Vic