Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #2266
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
JDowns, your minimalist idealism is seeping into my skull. I'm starting to think that taking my XR400 on the trip would be perfect once I add a battery and electric start.
Hi Clem Kevin,

XR400 would be a fun bike down here. Especially if you could add electric start. I know Throttlemeister was thinking about adapting the Honda quad motor with electric start to a bike. It is basically an XR400 motor. They sell a nice Honda down here called the Honda Falcon that has the XR400 motor with electric start, but it is out of my price range.

I will be going back to my XR250 when I get back to Oregon. I like to stop and take pics and take breaks a lot and my right leg gets tired just thinking about kicking the XR until I can get back down here to the Sherpa.

I got a knock on my door this morning and met another ADVrider from Oregon who had come down on his DRZ. Another nice bike for third world travel. He saw the Sherpa parked out front and came up to say hi. Always nice to meet fellow riders along the way.

Saludos,
Juan Minimalista
Old 03-28-2013, 01:10 PM   #2267
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbikemike View Post
John,
I'm headed home myself. I did have a container for $300 and could have done a boat myself for about $150, but I am pretty close to broke and the klr650 has serious issues. Maybe a dr350 and a more direct route next time. Or my old airhead loaded lightly !! Thanks for your counsel and maybe I'll get some of those airhead bits from you when I'm working again. ratbikemike
Hi ratbikemike!

Good to hear from you. Nice to know I'm not the only one heading back to the States flat broke. There's always next year. South America isn't going anywhere.

Saludos,
Juan Pobro
Old 03-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #2268
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
By John on a Budget. That's something I'd pay to have on ebook. Camping spots, hostels, wifi, food, gear, girls reviews, etc. Info reported by you and collected from other ride reports. Info from the very notes you take and from your gifted memory. It's the perspective of a world traveler what brings us here.. I'll help you with some useful phrases in spanish: señor policía, cómo podemos arreglar esta multa entre nosotros? . Or explaining to the Mexican mechanic about the blown fork seals: Topes de Mierda! .
Hi Ricardo,

I'll be sure to hire you as a consultant for the Spanish glossary of useful phrases for riders in Latin America.

Saludos,
Juan on a budget
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #2269
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Thanks , Im just trying to stop mine from nose diving to bottom when I brake hard or go down a steep hill . Im installing the progressive springs for a KLR 250 and flushing the factory oil out and refilling with 15 wt to see if that helps a bit . Im not a small guy , I like pizza too so Im about as heavy as the bike is . The tusk hand guards were a must , the lolipop turn signals I hate to no end so they had to go . plus I had to use the outer part of one to fix one of the rear lolipops back in the fall when I fell , which the tusk hand guards saved my right hand from damage .

After so many miles on the sherpa this year are you planning on changing any thing next year when you return ?
Hi Hawk62cj5,

I'm not changing anything on the Sherpa. I will probably bring down another X-ring chain and sprockets plus some oil filters but other than wear and tear items, I intend to ride the Sherpa until it drops.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 03-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #2270
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,276
Quote:
JDowns, your minimalist idealism is seeping into my skull. I'm starting to think that taking my XR400 on the trip would be perfect once I add a battery and electric start.
Good stuff...
Do you have to make it street legal?
If I were going by myself, I'd consider this an ideal candidate. Great zip and agility.
I'll be taking my wife so I'll need something a little more passenger-friendly.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM   #2271
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

I got a knock on my door this morning and met another ADVrider from Oregon who had come down on his DRZ.

Saludos,
Juan Minimalista
These guys?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854312

I've kicked a XR650R for 26,000km. No issues. In fact i like that there was NO ISSUES. Less things to go wrong. XR400 would be perfect.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #2272
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... I will be going back to my XR250 when I get back to Oregon. I like to stop and take pics and take breaks a lot and my right leg gets tired just thinking about kicking the XR until I can get back down here to the Sherpa. ...
John, please. You know it's not that hard to kick start the XR. I have a 250 also and it's no problem, and, my auto-decompression cable is broken.
Maybe if something's awry or in a tizzy...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #2273
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Good stuff...
Do you have to make it street legal?
If I were going by myself, I'd consider this an ideal candidate. Great zip and agility.
I'll be taking my wife so I'll need something a little more passenger-friendly.
CA plated. I have been prepping it for the TAT this summer, and I figure why not just keep prepping it more. I'm having the subframe reinforced by a friend and it should be able to take quite a bit of abuse once he's finished with it. That was my biggest concern with the bike, the only others are seat height (its great for trail riding, not for long distance riding), buzziness, and the fact that I have no idea how much use the engine has. But really, I love the bike and know I'll never get rid of it, so why not?
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #2274
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
These guys?

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854312

I've kicked a XR650R for 26,000km. No issues. In fact i like that there was NO ISSUES. Less things to go wrong. XR400 would be perfect.
Hi Shibby!,

Yes, Romanousky from Albany, Oregon. He's here in Medellin. It is dead here this week since Semana Santa (Easter week) means everyone left town on holiday. Nothing was open today. It was nice meeting a fellow rider this morning. Hope to see him later this week.

I am sure my XR would be easier to kick start if it were in perfect tune. The problem is I don't ride it since I bought the Sherpa so it has spent years sitting. I'll get right on getting it ship shape when I get back to Oregon. It is a good solid reliable bike with a bullet proof motor. Great mimimalist ride.

Cheers,
Juanito
Old 03-28-2013, 06:52 PM   #2275
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... I am sure my XR would be easier to kick start if it were in perfect tune. ... I'll get right on getting it ship shape when I get back to Oregon. It is a good solid reliable bike with a bullet proof motor. Great mimimalist ride. ...
I like mine. My 250's not as stable through the knarly stuff as my XR650L and of course it doesn't have the trail and road domination capability, but yes, it's super tough and a great minimalist ride. Back tires last a long time on it, too!

I'm sure you'll get yours ironed out; maybe the carb needs to be cleaned out. In any case, I learned long ago, with my first four-stroke single, that the first step to easy kick-starting is to move the engine around gently to TDC compression. That way, when I put my weight into it and it breaks loose, it's reaches peak velocity around intake - next compression. But you probably figured that out way before I did.

Couple more weeks, eh?

Hey Clem Kevin, I bet you will love the TAT. I've only seen pictures and descriptions, but I know I'd love it, just like I know I'd love riding the places John's been. My 650 was difficult to get used to how tall it was, but I hung in there and it feels shorter and lighter each time I go out and toss it around.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #2276
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Minimalist life

Hi John,

I have been doing allot of thinking about your RR thread which has thoroughly been feeding my alter ego for the winter. After all I believe your message is that really it all comes down to having a minimalist life, not just the bikes we ride. Maybe am wrong and if so I hope to not offend anyone by that.
But you live in a different dimension, that yours truly realizes must wake the hell up and figure out how to step up to partake in or forever drown in mediocrity.
It has been quite a ride following you, and I consider you my mentor now

Kindest regards,
Vic
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #2277
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Hey Clem Kevin, I bet you will love the TAT. I've only seen pictures and descriptions, but I know I'd love it, just like I know I'd love riding the places John's been. My 650 was difficult to get used to how tall it was, but I hung in there and it feels shorter and lighter each time I go out and toss it around.
I'm used to the height, I've owned the bike since 2007. I actually just raised the seat height an inch with new foam. I just imagine that with a bunch of luggage and lots of stopping and going, a 37 inch seat height is less than ideal (especially with an inseam of 32 inches.) Tippy-toeing a loaded up bike is very unappealing.

I must say though, you can get one of these XR's running well quite easy. I can let mine sit for 2-3 weeks and it will start on the second kick. It's been a stone reliable bike and the only grief its ever given me was my own fault. John, open up the carb on that thing and give it a good cleaning, make sure to drain the carb if it's going to sit more than a couple weeks, and it should start and run like a champ. Mastering the start on that bike took me a couple years, actually.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #2278
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Hey Juan Hayden, I think this belongs here...

"To be truly challenging, a voyage, like a life, must rest on a firm foundation of financial unrest. Otherwise, you are doomed to a routine traverse, the kind known to yachtsmen who play with their boats at sea... "cruising" it is called. Voyaging belongs to seamen, and to the wanderers of the world who cannot, or will not, fit in. If you are contemplating a voyage and you have the means, abandon the venture until your fortunes change. Only then will you know what the sea is all about.

"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go. They are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of "security." And in the worship of security we fling our lives beneath the wheels of routine - and before we know it our lives are gone.

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade."

- Sterling Hayden
Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #2279
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Hey Juan Hayden, I think this belongs here...

What does a man need - really need? A few pounds of food each day, heat and shelter, six feet to lie down in - and some form of working activity that will yield a sense of accomplishment. That's all - in the material sense, and we know it. But we are brainwashed by our economic system until we end up in a tomb beneath a pyramid of time payments, mortgages, preposterous gadgetry, playthings that divert our attention for the sheer idiocy of the charade."

- Sterling Hayden
Hi Clem Kevin,

Along with food and shelter, I would add water and gas for the bike to Sterling's basic list. There hasn't been heat anywhere I've stayed, so I think Sterling could have scratched that off the list if he had headed south for the winters like me. Although I hear he sailed his yacht to Tahiti. Quite an adventurer, that fellow.

You can travel for very little money if you cut life down to the basics. But Sterling has a good point. It is easy to get weighed down by the material world until your possessions and financial obligations require so much attention that you have little time for travel.

The key to creating the time and money to travel is simplifying your life and reducing your overhead. Easier said than done. It takes a fair amount of discipline to live a simple life. And it's not for everyone.

And I agree that for me, some form of working activity and making myself useful to others is a nice way to make a living and balance out my vagabond tendencies.

Saludos,
Juan Vagabondo
Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 PM   #2280
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
The key to creating the time and money to travel is simplifying your life and reducing your overhead. Easier said than done. It takes a fair amount of discipline to live a simple life. And it's not for everyone.
"Things are not hard to do. Difficult it is to put yourself in a state of doing them" Constantin Brancusi