Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #2296
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
John, please. You know it's not that hard to kick start the XR. I have a 250 also and it's no problem, and, my auto-decompression cable is broken.
Maybe if something's awry or in a tizzy...
I agree ... The only time my XR250 was hard to kick start was if it had been on its side for a while.

Here are a few notes on XR250 starting (which I'm sure John already knows about)

1. If you have Cold Start problems then do this:
A. Turn idle UP one turn (before Kicking)
B. Kick motor through about 10 times (gently, using decompressor, NO CHOKE)
C. Choke ON, kick through gently about 5 times. DO NOT touch throttle. Ignition ON, go to TDC, Kick it through!

I should start. If not you may have Carb issues, out of adjust valves or a fuel/air screw that needs adjustment.

HOT STARTING
This is the more common problem with ALL kick start thumpers. Once again, its' important that valves be set perfectly, carb jetted properly and clean.

IF YOU FALL
ASAP ... turn off fuel.
Unless in a real hurry ... WAIT!

To Start:
1. Keep fuel OFF for now
2. Kick through gently using decompressor ... about 20 times while holding the THROTTLE WIDE OPEN. This allows air into the cylinder to help evaporate. (this works on elec. start bikes too!)
3. turn on fuel. turn on ignition. bring to TDC ... DO NOT touch the throttle.
Kick through with firm, smooth action. On the XR you don't have to be Hulk to kick start it. Girls can do it easy .... its' TECHNIQUE ...not technical.

For better starting make sure your fuel/Air adjustment screw is set LEAN enough. This will help with starting. New plugs can help too. Other than all that ... the XR250 is really a no brainer.

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM   #2297
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,055
To hell with that.
Look for a hill, engage third gear, run down hill with bike, jump on the bike, and when arse hits seat you dump the clutch.
Repeat until you reach the bottom of the hill.
If you are at the bottom of the hill and the bike is not running, then by all means take out your copy of the excellent instructions provided for your convenience by the Grifter above!
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:01 PM   #2298
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Speaking of that I picked up an XR out in New Mexico a couple of weeks ago and barely started in on it with the conversion, just can't decide if I want it to have reverse gear or not. Going to be my red little beast for Africa and Russia if I ever get out of SA

I went out to NM to pick it up mainly because of the free swing arm bolt and one of these already

You'll have to come back through in the truck on your way back to Nebraska

Happy Easter. I'd still try to make the trip out to Santa Fe on the Old Rd if you haven't already been, makes for a great day trip outside Medellin. Glad Albert's letting you store the bike at his place
Hi TM,

Man, that's a sweet looking XR you picked up. I'll have to head back over for a look see next month when I'm heading up to Nebraska. What's a few hundred mile jog over through northeast Okie country? I'll PM you when I'm in the neighborhood to see if you're going to be around.

Thanks for the Santa Fe tip. I'll head up there and check it out as soon as I finish painting Albert's new apartamento.

A guy like you doesn't need reverse.

Saludos,
Juan Ekeesehray/Sherpa Doscinquenta Minimalista
Old 03-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #2299
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I agree ... The only time my XR250 was hard to kick start was if it had been on its side for a while.

Here are a few notes on XR250 starting (which I'm sure John already knows about)

1. If you have Cold Start problems then do this:
A. Turn idle UP one turn (before Kicking)
B. Kick motor through about 10 times (gently, using decompressor, NO CHOKE)
C. Choke ON, kick through gently about 5 times. DO NOT touch throttle. Ignition ON, go to TDC, Kick it through!

I should start. If not you may have Carb issues, out of adjust valves or a fuel/air screw that needs adjustment.

HOT STARTING
This is the more common problem with ALL kick start thumpers. Once again, its' important that valves be set perfectly, carb jetted properly and clean.

IF YOU FALL
ASAP ... turn off fuel.
Unless in a real hurry ... WAIT!

To Start:
1. Keep fuel OFF for now
2. Kick through gently using decompressor ... about 20 times while holding the THROTTLE WIDE OPEN. This allows air into the cylinder to help evaporate. (this works on elec. start bikes too!)
3. turn on fuel. turn on ignition. bring to TDC ... DO NOT touch the throttle.
Kick through with firm, smooth action. On the XR you don't have to be Hulk to kick start it. Girls can do it easy .... its' TECHNIQUE ...not technical.

For better starting make sure your fuel/Air adjustment screw is set LEAN enough. This will help with starting. New plugs can help too. Other than all that ... the XR250 is really a no brainer.
Hi Adv Grifter,

Thanks for the tips amigo! I look forward to getting my little XR out of mothballs when I get back stateside. It's a sweet little bike. Perfect for hitting the backcountry until I can return to my Sherpa next fall down here in Colombia.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 PM   #2300
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Hey John, I've been wanting to ask but I was afraid it might be too personal, but you seem open enough. I know that for myself because I don't drink or use any substances and tend not to openly objectify women very much, people's first reactions are always that I'm some kind of religious nut; but I'm actually as far from a religious person as you can get, I'm a student of anthropology. I'd like to know, are you practicing any religion or are you just an anthropologist at heart?
Hi Clem Kevin,

I dance to a different beat. I respect all religions and take the best and leave the rest. I admit I'm not much of a joiner. For me, riding in the back country leaning into the corners is a religious experience.

Today was Easter Sunday and I was enjoying the Zen of painting Albert's apartment. Roll up, roll down, roll up, roll down. In the end, standing back and looking at the fresh muted terra cotta on the walls that complimented the KTM orange riding jacket on the hall tree was a religious experience.

Science and religion are just opposite hemispheres of the same thing. Just like logic and art. Rare is the person who can take the best from both sides and synthesize them into their lives.

Saludos
Juan Filósofo
Old 03-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #2301
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

Saludos,
Juan Ekeesehray...
For the first time I can't make out the signature
Old 03-31-2013, 05:54 PM   #2302
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
For the first time I can't make out the signature
XR is pronounced ek ees eh ray phonetically
Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #2303
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 865
Quote:
Hi Clem Kevin,

I dance to a different beat. I respect all religions and take the best and leave the rest. I admit I'm not much of a joiner. For me, riding in the back country leaning into the corners is a religious experience.

Today was Easter Sunday and I was enjoying the Zen of painting Albert's apartment. Roll up, roll down, roll up, roll down. In the end, standing back and looking at the fresh muted terra cotta on the walls that complimented the KTM orange riding jacket on the hall tree was a religious experience.

Science and religion are just opposite hemispheres of the same thing. Just like logic and art. Rare is the person who can take the best from both sides and synthesize them into their lives.

Saludos
Juan Filósofo
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #2304
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
XR is pronounced ek ees eh ray phonetically
Hi John,

Thanks for the explanation! Interesting. I am definitely no linguist, but in Romanian we also read words and letters as they are, as I suppose Spanish and most Romance languages do to an extent, unlike English phonetic pronunciation. So I think phonetically translating something in English that would already sound natural to me directly in Spanish, kind of shorted my cpu Good thinking game

Best,
Vic
Old 04-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #2305
jkdwings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Hi Clem Kevin,

Saludos
Juan Filósofo
Truly wonderful, Juan. Seems like you've found clarity.
jkdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #2306
johnsonal
avenger of all evil

Oddometer: 103
Thanks for the good times and sharing stories. I'll come back by and see what you're up to in the next couple days. very nice to meet the legend.
johnsonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #2307
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
John, I just did my first bit of off-road riding that was not on a dry dirt trail and was exhausted after a few hours. How difficult of riding is a typical day for you? I know it will likely vary by the day.
Keithert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #2308
drifter dave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Hey Look who I caught smiling!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544121
drifter dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:19 PM   #2309
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithert View Post
John, I just did my first bit of off-road riding that was not on a dry dirt trail and was exhausted after a few hours. How difficult of riding is a typical day for you? I know it will likely vary by the day.
Hi Keithert,

Whether it's your first time hiking up a mountain, or riding up on a dirt bike standing on the pegs avoiding roots, ruts, and rocks, you will be sore after a few hours until you work up to it. That's normal. You do build up endurance, but you will be sore no matter what if you're not used to it.

I'm a bit of a masochist, and after riding a dirt bike down to Colombia all I can say is you get used to it after a while to an extent. I take lots of breaks. But I have no time constraints or destination I have to hurry to.

And you don't see me riding much this month. I'm taking a break. As one should after 5 months. But I have the luxury of time and no particular place to be.

In my younger years I had time constraints and more financial pressure. If I wanted to make it to Guatemala and back in two weeks I rode like hell and enjoyed the blurry scenery.

What was the question?

Oh yeah, if it's difficult, I take it easy and stop for a while. Preferably at a nice beach or friendly mountain town. And believe me there are plenty. What's the rush? Ride until you don't feel like riding. When you get tired of hanging out, get on your bike and head out for the horizon to see what's over the next mountain range.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 06:30 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #2310
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Hi John,

You look 20 years younger than you say you are in the picture above.
Being in great shape must help riding such roads as this:

I never quite managed to have the mud and deep sand riding figured out. So I wonder how you rode that stretch or if there were others worse you ran into. I know I can take it easy in mud and if I spill it wont be too bad, but in sand the opposite, being more aggressive is supposed to help - in theory. Well theory isn't worth without practice so all I can do now is talk about it. I know riding South of the border I will be for sure seeing allot of that type of roads Sunday I took my GS over some sand patches here in Long Island just to see if I can stay up. Some real spooky feeling with bike being all over the place but I managed. At my skill level am sure that wont be the case if I practice long enough. Had few moto mishaps in the past and now my bones are reminding me to be careful. But being careful doesn't make for a good learning. A smaller bike might help to an extent I guess.

Best,
Vic