User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:49 PM   #2341
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
By the time I got to Guatemala there is no way I would have known to go up to Uaxactun:

or some killer backroads in Guatemala:

if it hadn't of been for the guidance of Julio Guaterider and the Guatfamily. These folks are the best!:

Not to mention ratbikemike and the Antigua contingency:

And let's not forget the El Salvador hospital partay with Señor Ed Zactamundo:

And what about Bryce Bissinger. Ulyses is such a stand up guy i can't tell you:

That guy had Edzactamudos back. Pretty inspiring in the face of adversity. I was impressed. Honored to have met the man.

As well as Mario (center).

This guy is an ADVrider hero. He has helped so many of us through the years. Selflessly. Go buy some Heidenau tires from him or something next time you're in San Salvador.

I will continue reminiscing shortly…..

JDowns screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 09:08 PM
Old 04-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #2342
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,041
Really great stuff of dreams Senor Juan. Wonder if Sherpa would take you to Tierra del Fuego next leg of the trip. It would put BMW to shame.

My damn deepest respects,
Vic
Old 04-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #2343
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Really great stuff of dreams Senor Juan. Wonder if Sherpa would take you to Tierra del Fuego next leg of the trip. It would put BMW to shame.

My damn deepest respects,
Vic
Hi Vic,

I confess, I'm not that interested in riding to Tierra del Fuego. I can see riding the Carretera Austral and the lake district, as well as the Perito Merino glaciers and such. But riding down ruta cuarenta to the end of the road and back up ruta tres to BA sounds boring to me. Maybe I'll change my mind by next year so don't be surprised if I end up heading that way.

I admit I enjoyed heading up to Cabo de la Vela near the Venezuelan border. And it was basically 200 kilometers of straight ass gravel with a stiff side wind before the cutoff west. And then another 60 kilometers of nasty ass sand and ruts. So I imagine by the time I get down to the pampas I'll be thinking differently and Tierra del Fuego will sound fabulous.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 10:06 PM
Old 04-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #2344
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Vic,

I confess, I'm not that interested in riding to Tierra del Fuego. I can see riding the Carretera Austral and the lake district, as well as the Perito Merino glaciers and such. But riding down ruta cuarenta to the end of the road and back up ruta tres to BA sounds boring to me. Maybe I'll change my mind by next year so don't be surprised if I end up heading that way.

I admit I enjoyed heading up to Cabo de la Vela near the Venezuelan border. And it was basically 200 kilometers of straight ass gravel with a stiff side wind before the cutoff west. And then another 60 kilometers of nasty ass sand and ruts. So I imagine by the time I get down to the pampas I'll be thinking differently, and Tierra del Fuego will sound fabulous.

Saludos,
Juanito
Hi John,

I see you seek quality rather than to check off items off a "been there" list.
I admire your ability to discern and select between the two, it comes with experience.
Maybe Brazil would be something more up your alley. Am sure it will be entertaining as hell to follow you and I can't wait. Meanwhile selling the house here in Long Island and making big plans for travel sometime in my hopefully not so distant future. Not that I am good on planning I'll just wing everything once am out of the rat race

Best,
Vic
Old 04-06-2013, 10:21 PM   #2345
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Hi John,

I see you seek quality rather than to check off items off a "been there" list.
I admire your ability to discern and select between the two, it comes with experience.
Maybe Brazil would be something more up your alley. Am sure it will be entertaining as hell to follow you and I can't wait. Meanwhile selling the house here in Long Island and making big plans for travel sometime in my hopefully not so distant future. Not that I am good on planning I'll just wing everything once am out of the rat race

Best,
Vic
Hi Vic,

Sell the house and wing it. Now you're talkin' my kind of language!!!

I can't get enough of this 6 year old drummer. I admit his freeform transitions are sublime. This is my new theme song for riding from the states to Panama:

JDowns screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 10:28 PM
Old 04-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #2346
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Yeah baby. Carpe Diem!
Nothing better than it.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 AM   #2347
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Continuing my nostalgic look at the past six months, what about Chiriqui Charlie who I met in Granada Nicaragua:

and later on in Panama where his German wife cleaned my riding pants and jacket so they absolutely shone. Not to mention the great German cooking. MMMMMMM good. Chocolate covered blueberries. Holy cow! That woman can cook!

And how about AKSmitty down at Madera beach in southern Nicaragua:

Or DonnieMac with his hot Israeli girlfriend:

Or free camping at our ADVrider buddy moderndaydrifter's place:

Not to mention the fun I had with GreginCR and QCrider out in Costa Rica:

More later…..
Old 04-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #2348
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Bike choice for going South of the border

Hi John,

Plan on taking the R1200GS for a trip South maybe this fall if possible. Its the only bike I have and since I may stop working/getting paychecks, I try not plan buying anything else, though the Sherpa idea certainly makes sense, it would still require spending money. And my 260 lbs weight alone may be a bit of of a stretch for it. I must admit am a sucker for not wanting to give up my comfort on the GS. At 85,000 miles she is still holding up fine and I think we know each other well by now. I realize people seeing you on the bigger moto associate with rich gringo image and the rest follows. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 04-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #2349
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Hi John,

Plan on taking the R1200GS for a trip South maybe this fall if possible. Its the only bike I have and since I may stop working/getting paychecks, I try not plan buying anything else, though the Sherpa idea certainly makes sense, it would still require spending money. And my 260 lbs weight alone may be a bit of of a stretch for it. I must admit am a sucker for not wanting to give up my comfort on the GS. At 85,000 miles she is still holding up fine and I think we know each other well by now. I realize people seeing you on the bigger moto associate with rich gringo image and the rest follows. I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,
Vic
Hi Vic,

I say ride what you got. Nothing wrong with a comfy GS12 that's paid for. It doesn't matter what you ride. Any mechanically sound bike that will get you out of the driveway and down the road is the bike you should take.

I didn't start out as a minimalist, and it's not for everyone. My main desire in writing these ride reports is to show others that you don't HAVE to have a big bike and a lot of expensive gear to have a ton of fun.

In fact, even if I had a lot of money, I don't think I would change my less is more travel style. There is a certain peace of mind not having a lot of expensive gear to keep an eye on.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 04-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #2350
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
I love how you're recapitulating the highlights of the wonderful people you've met on your epic trip, John. And I love how you've learned how to really enjoy yourself and make the best of everything available to you. I think the world smiles upon you because you're every bit as wonderful and generous a person as any of those you've met. Bendiciones, Amigo!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 04-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #2351
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
On the topic of John writing a book, I'm not sure what I think of that. John, I think you're in your element in interacting with people. I think you would lose some of that in a book. You ought to instead keep a blog of your life/work/travel, I bet a lot of people would enjoy it.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #2352
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
On the topic of John writing a book, I'm not sure what I think of that. John, I think you're in your element in interacting with people. I think you would lose some of that in a book. You ought to instead keep a blog of your life/work/travel, I bet a lot of people would enjoy it.
Hi Clem Kevin,

You're probably right. The only reason I would write a book is to see what it was like, and report back if it was worthwhile for others to do.

Live ride reports are where it's at. Better than any book you can buy. Plus they're free for the reading. Always a plus. I will always post up ride reports first. The book thing would just be an afterthought for people who wanted to help out with gas money. As it stands now, ADVrider doesn't allow straight donations to riders. I'm down with that. I will look into all avenues of funding a ride for poor folks. Whether it's a kickstarter book or whatever. I will report back what I find.

I'll be flying out of South America and back to the States in 5 days. The last six months has been like a dream. I will wake up back in the U.S. I remember when I rode to Panama and back a couple years ago. You forget quickly what it's like to be on the road.

And then when you hit Latin America again you enter the dreamtime and remember what it's all about splitting lanes and rockin' and rollin' through the curves passing buses and trucks on mountain roads. I look forward to it. I'll be back to Colombia to continue this ride report as soon as I earn a few thousand more dollars this Summer. This ride is long from over.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero

JDowns screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 07:14 PM
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #2353
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

It seems like forever since I was in Costa Rica hanging out with Andrew (right) and his neighbor at Rancho Diandrew. What a fun week that was!:

And what about Cmnthead down on the Azuero peninsula who put me up and took me around on some great roads:

Or his buddy from down the road who took me out on some fine beach riding:

Can't wait to see if Cmnthead and his son make it down to Panama next year on their bikes. These guys are aces !:

a

I'll never forget my Kuna buddies who let me through the Carti road for free and signed the Sherpa tank. Their signatures bought me some cred later on through the San Blas Islands:

And how about the yachties who were waiting for the heavy swells to subside in January down south of Puerto Bello. Really nice folks. Even if they didn't want to haul my steenking Sherpa on their pristine yachts:

more later….

JDowns screwed with this post 04-08-2013 at 07:17 PM
Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #2354
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Clem Kevin,
I'll be back to Colombia to continue this ride report as soon as I earn a few thousand more dollars this Summer.
Dear John,

To my mind, the thing with money is that it's power you can direct toward what you feel like. So if you would write a selling book, decision is shifted to your hands and what you want to happen with the proceeds.
It is not easy to write a book and it is like carving stone, (I never did this) but the honest down to earth wisdom and life experience your posts transpire and expressing thoughts like you do, but more importantly unanimously accepted positive thoughts, makes me think it would have a great audience. Vicious circle, profit and pure art. Even most talented world's artists had to eat. Alas they often went to sleep hungry. I can see the person that really understands and appreciates the balance in life and Universe. I trust you are aware, master it, and guess we are just pushing you towards being more of JDowns that has the power to make things happen. I'd vote for you as President (no happy face am serious)

Best,
Vic
Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #2355
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
Great re-cap so far amigo. Its been a helluva ride and you sure did it right. Looking forward to the sequel.

Closed Thread