Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #2371
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
The doohickey that was on the shield over the light is no longer there in the pic...
Gonna take that home with you?
Hi ONandOFF,

The Mayan mask I got in Palenque and zip tied to the number plate got smashed when the bike got crunched between the Kuna cargo boat and the pier during offloading in high seas.

I think that mask getting caught on the cement pier kept the bike from dropping in the ocean. Or it could be that the Inca gods down here in South America don't think much of Mayan art. It was a nice conversation piece while it lasted.

Saludos,
Juan Suramericana
Old 04-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #2372
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
Hey John, still following along and on my way home too, but slower

Definitely look me up in Oregon. I'll be there for the summer with a great 8 day on/6 day off schedule so we can ride multi-day. Will maybe have a small bike then too. I live 200 meters from an OHV area and 1000s of miles of FS roads south of Pendleton
hi 0theories,

I'll definitely look you up when I get out to Oregon. Lots of great riding North of John Day. See you this summer.

Bien Viaje amigo,
Juanito
Old 04-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #2373
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Hi John,

The house is for sale. So is my future. Will probably move to NC and hoping to have the time and dough to do allot more interesting riding. But I know it will be good, thanks to you.
Maybe we cross paths some day, I would love to tell stories by the camp fire.
Now am interested in visiting Nebraska the proper way.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 04-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #2374
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 633
I am partial to these photos Years living in the So Organized States (mean it in a good way) had taken images like the Sherpa in the trunk of a 5 speed Sentra (my first car) off my memory. Definitely a real adventure.

When it comes to the second pic... well, what can I say? My dad is a great guy and he is always ready to help anyone. When I told him that I was following your report and your bike needed repair he immediately told me to send you his way.

Too bad I won't cross paths with you as I'm landing in Medellin the second week of June. Still following along though, and look forward to following your continued report as you make it back.

Good luck and thanks for the entertainment

[QUOTE=JDowns;21142055]
I was so fortunate to get a ride with the smashed Sherpa up to Medellin. I think this is front page material. But that's just me:

I will always have fond memories of Orlando Trespalacios. He was such a help! Removing the front end and taking me around to find new forks and front hub/brake disc and getting it all back together again in just two days. What a saint:

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #2375
UncleR
KLiX are for kids

Oddometer: 14
John,
I've certainly enjoyed every bit of your report, and think I'll have to start up on your post of your 2010 adventure to help with the withdrawal. What are some of the key differences between your 2 trips, if any? There certainly seems more of an interest/following this time around; but I imagine much of your style/philosophy is the same.

I look forward to next Fall/Winter and where the road may lead you. Thanks for making this a live report and for all your efforts.
Best,
UncleR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 AM   #2376
FoolishADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Finally caught up...

John,

I've really enjoyed your ride report. Started reading on Saturday and finally finished reading at midnight last night.

Very inspiring. I was looking at getting a bigger bike, but now I'm really considering a small bike.

When you get to Mesa shoot me a PM and I'll ride over and buy you a meal.

t
FoolishADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #2377
Hektoglider
One with Life

Oddometer: 2,536

Hektoglider screwed with this post 04-22-2013 at 10:49 AM
Hektoglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #2378
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,312
John after Mesa if you swing through the top of Los Angeles County on the 10 or better 210 on your way to Oreo I'll have Colleen make you a home made from scratch pizza! After all the joy and info you have shared we owe you . If the stories draw on we can spot you a bed too.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #2379
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
John after Mesa if you swing through the top of Los Angeles County on the 10 or better 210 on your way to Oreo I'll have Colleen make you a home made from scratch pizza! After all the joy and info you have shared we owe you . If the stories draw on we can spot you a bed too.
Same, come hang out in Santa Cruz with me! You're my hero. Second to my grandfather of course.
Clem Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #2380
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Al,

That's the nicest compliment I've ever received from a fake Irishman. You must really like me!

Saludos,
Juan Trabajador Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead View Post
Get your shit together you God damn Hippie!
So we are both God damn hippies and need to get our shit together.

I cant really argue with that point.

Hi ya Al!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #2381
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
So we are both God damn hippies and need to get our shit together.

I cant really argue with that point.

Hi ya Al!
Damn straight! get you're Hippie ass down here Vin-you know what will happen!
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #2382
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 769
Down Down deeper and Down

My pal Johnny went home today-sad to see him go,but I know he will be back.
Worst thing is I think he "top decked" me before he left my Apt!!!
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #2383
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,588
damn hippies!

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #2384
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The last few days have been a whirlwind. It seems the beginning and end of these journeys have you taking care of a lot of last minute details. I did take a break a couple nights ago to hang out with the DRZ boys Alex and Andy. Here we are getting serenaded:

And Al showing his chops as they let him take over on the cheese grater rhythm section:

after several rousing games of tag team foosball it was time to go down to play some blurry pool before calling it a night:

Really fun hanging out with those two and their friend Roberto who flew in from Oregon. Four Oregonians in Medellin. What are the chances?

I look forward to following their continuing antics on their ride report when I get home.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 04-12-2013, 03:39 AM   #2385
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

What day is it?

I often find myself asking that question when traveling. This trip I have a functioning watch and laptop so all I have to do is put my reading glasses on to see the tiny print. Friday.

That means yesterday was Thursday. I spent the day finishing painting Al's living room. The accent wall was KTM orange of course:

It ties together the terra cotta, tile and furnishings beautifully. I finished in the late afternoon and took one last look off that tenth floor balcony of his cool bachelor pad at the vista overlooking Medellin out to the mountains:

Took the elevator down to the basement parking garage to bid farewell to the Sherpa tucked behind Al's KTM:

I won't be back until October so disconnected the battery ground and drained the carb float bowl and we'll see how that works.

Then it was time to walk down the hill to the metro transit station. Love these cherry Ford dump trucks from the 50's:

Stopped to get some muchies for the trip to Bogota at this appropriately named tienda:

And paid my dollar to take the metro train over several miles to Estacion Caribe:

Where the pedestrian overpass takes you over the freeway and down to the main bus terminal:

where I bought a ticket for 28 bucks for the 11 hour ride to Bogota. Left at 5PM and got in this morning at 4AM. I could have taken the plane for not much more, but I didn't know when I would finish painting and hate making reservations. And buses leave every hour so you don't have to wait. Anyway, the overnight bus was cush with movies and nice music and a free place to sleep. Plus lots of rocking back and forth through the hairpins to lull you to the land of nod. I've slept in worse places. I woke up at 3:30 and we were already in the outskirts of Bogota.

Caught a cab to the Bogota airport where I am now on the upper mezzanine at the Crepes and Waffles restaurant. Here is my office for the morning. With a pot of coffee and waffles smothered in scrambled eggs and bacon:

Free wifi up here along with plugs for charging the laptop, so I'll see about finding a cheap hostel around here and check-in for my flight out tomorrow.

More later……

JDowns screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 03:50 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote