Oddometer: 715
Thank you JD
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #2387
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hektoglider View Post
Said goodbye to Barrato Juan last night. His room is getting cleaned out today. It was good to meet him and compare notes. We found out some interesting stuff about the Sherpas. The bike was never sold in SA therefor it doesn't appear on the parts screen at the bike shop. They do sell the KLX here though.
We ordered a KLX sprocket and it was here in 2 days. The only difference is the holes are beveled on one side and one less tooth (42T) otherwise a perfect fit.
I had PM'd JD about carrying a spare through CA & he said he didn't. It worked out for the best.
We let him sample the gourmet can food

Fairly exotic stuff

Good luck on the trip up del Norte
Hi Señor glider and Señora Rosie Thorn,

It sure was nice meeting you guys and sharing your minimalist hobo food! Hope to see you down the road next fall. I like your minimalist style. I'll be picking up a stainless oil filter to bring down on my return. Along with a 4mm long reach allen wrench for draining my carb float bowl since you may not always be around to loan me yours.

Always nice seeing three Sherpas parked next to each other.

Buen Viaje,
Juan Barato
Old 04-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #2388
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 615
So its back home to graft all summer? Keep updated of pics back home as some of us havent seen that part of the world let alone south america

More fun being upright
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 AM   #2389
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I left the Bogota airport this morning early after checking the internet on the free airport wifi and finding a hostel nearby and confirming my flight out tomorrow.

It was early so I decided to walk off my excellent waffle breakfast and head over to the La Niña hostel and get some exercise after being on a bus for 11 hours. La Niña sounded good and was only a kilometer away as the crow flies. Tripadvisor had positive comments from three 25-30 year old women travelers. They are possibly the fussiest demographic so I figured it probably wasn't a dive. Unfortunately it was on the other side of the runway, so I had to walk down 20 blocks before I could cut over and back 20 blocks. Turns out it had moved. So I stopped into an internet cafe and checked the actual website from La Niña Hostel instead of the paid advertisers like tripadvisor that google throws up. Okay, so it's moved and is now 100 blocks away. Yikes. Hmmmm. Well it's a nice cool morning and it's only 7 AM. Not like I don't need the exercise. So I head down the bicycle path next to a drainage canal towards their new location.

Here's something you don't see everyday. Down in the drainage canal is a dump truck backing up pushing waves my way. WTF?

Then I see a Bobcat clearing out the mud around the bend and understand he's backing up to get loaded with muck:

I kept walking down this drainage channel/bike path for a few miles and that dude had to have backed that dump truck up a looooooong way, as there was no exit. I finally got tired of walking and grabbed a taxi downtown.

La Niña Hostel is nice. 20,000 pesos for a dorm bed ($11.00) or 32,000 for a private room ($18.00). I splurged and got a private room since I still have pesos to burn. Here is my minimalist gear when I'm not riding a motorcycle. Laptop, camera, toothbrush, riding jacket, passport and wallet. I left all my other camping gear, moto saddlebags, helmet and topbox in Al's spare bedroom closet:

It takes me back thirty years to my backpack traveling days. I left home with a huge backpack and came home from Asia 9 months later with a daypack, crackers, camera, toothbrush and credit card. You just don't need much if all you're doing is traveling around the world chasing summer in the warmer climes.

Oh yeah, I also am bringing home the handheld GPS that Jim and Ann sent me. I love that thing. The waypoint here is:

N 04º 38.920'
W 74º 03.404'
8600 feet elevation. No wonder it was chilly enough to wear my jacket this morning.

The taxista couldn't find La Niña hostel and I had to wander around for a bit after he dropped me close to locate the place, so the GPS waypoints may come in handy for future riders looking for affordable housing in downtown Bogota. Bike parking inside the courtyard, although I don't need it. It sure would have been quicker riding a bike around here instead of walking and taking taxis. I can't tell you how much better travel is on two wheels. I would have made it here in 10 minutes instead of an hour and a half.

more later…..

JDowns screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 01:02 PM
Old 04-12-2013, 10:09 AM   #2390
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleR View Post
John,
I've certainly enjoyed every bit of your report, and think I'll have to start up on your post of your 2010 adventure to help with the withdrawal. What are some of the key differences between your 2 trips, if any? There certainly seems more of an interest/following this time around; but I imagine much of your style/philosophy is the same.

I look forward to next Fall/Winter and where the road may lead you. Thanks for making this a live report and for all your efforts.
Best,
Hi UncleR,

Glad you enjoyed the ride report. The main difference between this report and my Panama and back report from a couple years ago is that this one was live and lasted 5 times as long so far and the previous one was mostly written after I crossed the border back home. If you write an engaging and thoughtful live ride report 2,000 people or so will follow it every day. Multiply that by the number of days you're out and that is why some long rides have a million views and shorter rides or ones that aren't updated daily have fewer views.

Live ride reports are where it's at. Answering questions and getting advice from fellow ADVriders is what has made this ride off the charts special to me. Yes, it's a lot of work, but I don't mind. I have taken the time to meet some great people this time. It's the people you remember long after the ride is over and the bike is parked in Al's garage.

The difference this time is that I'll be back (to quote Arnold). And this ride report will continue on.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #2391
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolishADV View Post
John,

I've really enjoyed your ride report. Started reading on Saturday and finally finished reading at midnight last night.

Very inspiring. I was looking at getting a bigger bike, but now I'm really considering a small bike.

When you get to Mesa shoot me a PM and I'll ride over and buy you a meal.

t
Hi FoolishADV,

I'll definitely PM you when I get to Mesa. My sister is picking me up tomorrow evening at the Mesa airport (if I make my connecting flights) and I'll be spending some time at her hacienda in Apache Junction. Would love to meet you and trade stories. I'll be in Arizona for a couple weeks or so until I head back to Nebraska. Look forward to meeting you amigo.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 04-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #2392
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
John after Mesa if you swing through the top of Los Angeles County on the 10 or better 210 on your way to Oreo I'll have Colleen make you a home made from scratch pizza! After all the joy and info you have shared we owe you . If the stories draw on we can spot you a bed too.
Hi Tuckers,

Alas, I am heading to Nebraska from Arizona. But if I'm riding your way in the future, I will look you up and trade stories over home made pizza for sure!

Glad to have you along as always. It's folks like you that keep this ride report interesting.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan Bogota
Old 04-12-2013, 10:59 AM   #2393
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Same, come hang out in Santa Cruz with me! You're my hero. Second to my grandfather of course.
Hi Clem Kevin,

I would love to meet you down the road someday. Who knows? Maybe I am your abuelo. I'm likely old enough.

Have enjoyed your comments and stories throughout this ride report. Look forward to your future ride reports.

Saludos,
Juan Abuelo
Old 04-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #2394
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
I am partial to these photos Years living in the So Organized States (mean it in a good way) had taken images like the Sherpa in the trunk of a 5 speed Sentra (my first car) off my memory. Definitely a real adventure.

When it comes to the second pic... well, what can I say? My dad is a great guy and he is always ready to help anyone. When I told him that I was following your report and your bike needed repair he immediately told me to send you his way.

Too bad I won't cross paths with you as I'm landing in Medellin the second week of June. Still following along though, and look forward to following your continued report as you make it back.

Good luck and thanks for the entertainment

Hola trespalacios,

Would love to have met you down here in June if my money would have lasted. As it is you are going to have a blast with your Dad. Medellin is mejor. Hope to meet you someday amigo. I can't overstate how much you and Orlando have kept this ride report going as long as it has.

The Trespalacios family is aces in my book.

Muchas gracias por todo amigo,
Juan
Old 04-12-2013, 11:08 AM   #2395
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
So we are both God damn hippies and need to get our shit together.

I cant really argue with that point.

Hi ya Al!
Hey Hermano Heepy,

Get down here next fall wouldya? Colombia misses you.

Work is over-rated.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 04-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #2396
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead View Post
My pal Johnny went home today-sad to see him go,but I know he will be back.
Worst thing is I think he "top decked" me before he left my Apt!!!
Hey Al,

I learned so much from my stay with you. Builders crack, top decking. So many Scottish idiomatic expressions. I look forward to my return next fall for my continuing education from my favorite cunning linguist.

Your pal,
Johnny
Old 04-12-2013, 11:19 AM   #2397
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharuma View Post
I haven't posted much, but thanks for letting us tag along, John. When you're ready to get back on the road, I'll happily make a contribution to help you on your way.

Colin
Hi Colin,

The pleasure has been mine. It's folks like you that keep these ride reports going longer than they would otherwise.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #2398
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Thank you JD
Hi SavannahCapt,

Couldn't have kept it up without your support. You're one of the good ones. Hope to see you down the road amigo.

Saludos,
Juan Bogota
Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #2399
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
So its back home to graft all summer? Keep updated of pics back home as some of us havent seen that part of the world let alone south america
Hi kwakbiker,

The ride report rules state that you can't make these ride reports into a personal blog. I will continue answering questons about this trip and answer questions about Latin American travel, posting recaps and such. But unless it has to do with minimalist travel to South America on a moto I will have to hold off from the off motorcycle fluff until I return next fall. Them's the rules.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #2400
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb Thanks John

John

Thanks for a great RR and a special thanks for taking the time to give me some advice as I was starting my SA adventure. Your Panama and Back RR was one of the ones that inspired me to stop dreaming about riding south, get on my KLR in my Canadian driveway and ride to Buenos Aires. I regret that I missed meeting you in my hurry to head for the Stalratte (which I never did catch). I hope we meet somewhere down the road, one of these days.

If you are ever in The Maritimes you have a friend here in Shediac, NB

Kedgi

Dwight
Closed Thread