Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #2401
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Thumb Thanks John

John

Thanks for a great RR and a special thanks for taking the time to give me some advice as I was starting my SA adventure. Your Panama and Back RR was one of the ones that inspired me to stop dreaming about riding south, get on my KLR in my Canadian driveway and ride to Buenos Aires. I regret that I missed meeting you in my hurry to head for the Stalratte (which I never did catch). I hope we meet somewhere down the road, one of these days.

If you are ever in The Maritimes you have a friend here in Shediac, NB

Kedgi

Dwight
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #2402
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
John

Thanks for a great RR and a special thanks for taking the time to give me some advice as I was starting my SA adventure. Your Panama and Back RR was one of the ones that inspired me to stop dreaming about riding south, get on my KLR in my Canadian driveway and ride to Buenos Aires. I regret that I missed meeting you in my hurry to head for the Stalratte (which I never did catch). I hope we meet somewhere down the road, one of these days.

If you are ever in The Maritimes you have a friend here in Shediac, NB

Kedgi

Dwight
Hi Dwight,

Thanks for the kind offer! Even though I don't like seafood that much, I might have to head up to Shediac for a visit just on principle now that your wonderful wife owns a Sherpa,. Nice to have friends in all parts of the world. I look forward to your future ride reports!

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa
Old 04-12-2013, 11:25 AM   #2403
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Hi John,

The house is for sale. So is my future. Will probably move to NC and hoping to have the time and dough to do allot more interesting riding. But I know it will be good, thanks to you.
Maybe we cross paths some day, I would love to tell stories by the camp fire.
Now am interested in visiting Nebraska the proper way.

Cheers,
Vic
Hi Vic,

You are welcome at my home anytime. Have enjoyed your entertaining stories about life in Romania, as well as your outlook on life. Finally got time to read your ride report to Alaska and back. Good stuff. That GS of yours will take you far. Look forward to hearing your stories from the roads less traveled.

Buena Suerte amigo,
Juan Viajero
Old 04-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #2404
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Went walking around downtown today. Here is what the local cabs look like throughout Colombia:

Little yellow Korean Kias or Hyundais. I am fairly certain that Colombia will send over a major deterrent force to South Korea if Pyongyang persists in their nuclear sabre rattling.

I absolutely love this brick and stonework. Really nice eclectic design with artistic stone bay window, creative ornamental iron, and flemish bond brick work:

It doesn't show up terribly well with my crappy camera, as you can't see the gothic stained glass dormer window, but this contractor was an artist. Nicely done.

more later….

JDowns screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 01:21 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #2405
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I can't get over how different Bogota is from Medellin. The extra 4000 feet in elevation means it is quite a bit cooler. People are walking around with coats on. And the hostel has comforters on the beds.

Plus there is graffiti everywhere. Whereas Medellin had very little. It seems to be a little seedier here. Although that could just be a function of the neighborhood here.

I can't get over what a varied country Colombia is. I have just scratched the surface. I need to get back down here pronto.

I'm gonna work hard and earn a few thousand this summer so I can continue my research and development for future ADVriders down in this neck of the woods.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #2406
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I can't get over how different Bogota is from Medellin. The extra 4000 feet in elevation means it is quite a bit cooler. People are walking around with coats on. And the hostel has comforters on the beds.

Plus there is graffiti everywhere. Whereas Medellin had very little. It seems to be a little seedier here. Although that could just be a function of the neighborhood here.

I can't get over what a varied country Colombia is. I have just scratched the surface. I need to get back down here pronto.

I'm gonna work hard and earn a few thousand this summer so I can continue my research and development for future ADVriders down in this neck of the woods.

Saludos,
Juanito

I've moved to a bigger/nicer place and now have a spare bedroom for you next time you come through this way.

Thanks for a great RR!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #2407
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Hate to see this end but all things do. If you ever get over to KY ping me and I'll buy you a beverage of your choice.

thanks for all the stories and pics
John
Old 04-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #2408
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I'm gonna miss Ducales crackers. Taste totally like Ritz crackers but are rectangular and divided into sixths. Mmm mmm good:

Saludos,
Juan Ducale
Old 04-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #2409
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post

I've moved to a bigger/nicer place and now have a spare bedroom for you next time you come through this way.

Thanks for a great RR!
Hi JD,

You know I'm coming back to Texas and Oklahoma. It was ADVheaven passing through there. Anyway I need to lust after your new WR. That bike looks sweet. I'm hoping you'll get tired of it soon and need to sell it on. I'm in line.

Saludos,
The Other JD
Old 04-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #2410
trululu96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
hello !

Hey john how its life in crappy bogota (not many paisas like bogota, im not the exception), I hope you have a safe trip home and I'll be looking forward to next year for your come back to south america !

Greetings
Daniel
trululu96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #2411
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi JD,

You know I'm coming back to Texas and Oklahoma. It was ADVheaven passing through there. Anyway I need to lust after your new WR. That bike looks sweet. I'm hoping you'll get tired of it and need to sell it on soon. I'm in line.

Saludos,
The Other JD
You're first in line John. See ya then.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #2412
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Hate to see this end but all things do. If you ever get over to KY ping me and I'll buy you a beverage of your choice.

thanks for all the stories and pics
John
Hi John,

It's far from over. I'm just taking a break. Stay tuned next fall for more Sherpa shenanigans.

Su amigo,
El otro Juan
Old 04-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #2413
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trululu96 View Post
Hey john how its life in crappy bogota (not many paisas like bogota, im not the exception), I hope you have a safe trip home and I'll be looking forward to next year for your come back to south america !

Greetings
Daniel
Hi Daniel,

I had so much fun spending time with you and your family up at Rio Claro Reserva. I can't thank you enough for including me in that weekend adventure. I can still hear the Guacharos screeching as we dropped down into the marble caves.

And how about those fantastic jumps off the platforms into the river! Not to mention your rope swing flips at the marble overhang from the trees! Aieeeeeeeee!

You are so fortunate to have a Mom and Dad who love riding. I hope to see you next fall before you head off around the world.

Abrazos,
El Gringo Amigo Juan
Old 04-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #2414
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The financial support I have received from fellow ADVriders and the advice and stories and shelter you have provided have made this ride so amazing I can't tell you. I think back to when I was out in the Darien with a smashed bike and finally made it to civilization in Capurgana wondering what the hell I was going to do, and checked the sketchy internet there and learned that I had received 900 bucks in paypal donations so I could continue on. It literally brought tears to my eyes. It totally strengthened my resolve to continue! I was thinking for a while there that this is it. I'm out of money. Better scrap the bike and take a bus home. But no! With your support I said Fuck it. I'll fix this bike no matter what it takes and keep riding. I totally owe it to you guys.

And I thank you. You are are the best. It's only through your support that this ride report has continued on for six months and I finally made it to South America. I am deeply indebted to all who have helped out with shelter, advice and gas money.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

When the chips are down and you're out in the middle of BFE and you get that much support from strangers who you know are like your brothers, it changes you in a good way.

It's like when I was in El Salvador and Ed Zactamundo was reading off the donations from his hospital bed and I was adding it up for him. Over 1300 bucks came in that night that I was in the hospital. It is so encouraging when you see that kind of unconditional support from your fellow ADVriders. And believe me, he needed it way more than I did.

So if you're thinking of riding to the end of the world, take it from me, you'll be fine. There is a brotherhood who is looking out for you. It's called ADVrider.

And believe me, if there is someone out there in need and I get the call, I will drop everything and be there in a hot minute to pay it forward. I am indebted for life. I've seen the other side and I know how much it means when you're in a bind and people step forward and lift you up from the depths.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 04-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #2415
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
]Hi Señor glider and Señora Rosie Thorn,

It sure was nice meeting you guys and sharing your minimalist hobo food! Hope to see you down the road next fall. I like your minimalist style. I'll be picking up a stainless oil filter to bring down on my return. Along with a 4mm long reach allen wrench for draining my carb float bowl since you may not always be around to loan me yours.

Always nice seeing three Sherpas parked next to each other.

Buen Viaje,
Juan Barato[/QUOTE]

It was nice to meet you as well. I hope our paths cross again senior Juan Sherpa. Thanks again for your stories and hospitality!
Sincerely
Señorita Rosalita Thorne,

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote