Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2013, 08:50 PM   #2416
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Totally enjoyed following along from South Texas. If your ever passing through give me a shout!!
Daryl
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #2417
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
The financial support I have received from fellow ADVriders and the advice and stories and shelter you have provided have made this ride so amazing I can't tell you. I think back to when I was out in the Darien with a smashed bike and finally made it to civilization in Capurgana wondering what the hell I was going to do, and checked the sketchy internet there and learned that I had received 900 bucks in paypal donations so I could continue on. It literally brought tears to my eyes. It totally strengthened my resolve to continue! I was thinking for a while there that this is it. I'm out of money. Better scrap the bike and take a bus home. But no! With your support I said Fuck it. I'll fix this bike no matter what it takes and keep riding. I totally owe it to you guys.

And I thank you. You are are the best. It's only through your support that this ride report has continued on for six months and I finally made it to South America. I am deeply indebted to all who have helped out with shelter, advice and gas money.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

When the chips are down and you're out in the middle of BFE and you get that much support from strangers who you know are like your brothers, it changes you in a good way.

It's like when I was in El Salvador and Ed Zactamundo was reading off the donations from his hospital bed and I was adding it up for him. Over 1300 bucks came in that night that I was in the hospital. It is so encouraging when you see that kind of unconditional support from your fellow ADVriders. And believe me, he needed it way more than I did.

So if you're thinking of riding to the end of the world, take it from me, you'll be fine. There is a brotherhood who is looking out for you. It's called ADVrider.

And believe me, if there is someone out there in need and I get the call, I will drop everything and be there in a hot minute to pay it forward. I am indebted for life. I've seen the other side and I know how much it means when you're in a bind and people step forward and lift you up from the depths.

Saludos,
Juanito

I know it's not a pic but can we nominate this for front page material? This IS what ADVrider is to me, a brotherhood of strangers.
Thanks John,
Gerst
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #2418
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerst View Post
I know it's not a pic but can we nominate this for front page material? This IS what ADVrider is to me, a brotherhood of strangers.
What I know is that you just started your own book John. Take your last post as a starting page. Enough to make people buy it. For a good cause that is !

I really like your attitude and ability to express yourself in every situation. Thank you for being yourself. Not really easy to see it these days. Thank YOU for that. People change when they see your example. I just sold my big heavy farkled BMW. To hell, I dont need it that big ! Bought smaller bike...

It was literally a pleasure to help and to follow yourself on your way. I'm going to miss that this summer. Promise its far from over !

You'll be riding forever Amigo ! And Im gonna throw some wood into this fire again !
Old 04-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #2419
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Thank you!

Can’t say enough about this RR. You should write a book. A book on how you deal with pushing a dead bike, in a drainage ditch, down the side of a highway, in a foreign country, in the pouring rain, while getting doused with waves off passing vehicles, all while enjoying yourself and having a good time . There were so many situations you faced that most would have thrown in the towel and said this whole trip sucked. Not you. You focused solely on the good and moved forward. Beyond inspirational.

WWJDownsD? Smile and seguir adelante. A how to book.

John, I hope our paths do cross again. It was a pleasure to meet you and a pleasure to follow along with this epic RR.

Hasta la proxima!
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #2420
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
John,

Thank you for what you've done for us! By that I mean your writings made my workday more tolerable. As a small contributor after your bike was damaged I felt more connected to your travels, and could imagine the trip even while dealing with the craziness at work.

Thanks,
Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #2421
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
WWJDownsD?

Now that's a pannier sticker I'd buy! It would be a not so secret code to just smile
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #2422
legends117
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckers View Post
wwjdownsd?

Now that's a pannier sticker i'd buy! It would be a not so secret code to just smile
+1
...currently, but always looking for the next one
legends117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #2423
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 403
Simply fantastic!

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #2424
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
JDowns, It appears the ride is over for this year. Thanks for letting us tag along and if you ever pass through my neck of the desert, drop me a PM. You have a place to rest up here while I ask many questions of how you make these adventures happen. Thanks again and I will be waiting for the next adventure or maybe I'll meet you on one of my own.
Phil
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #2425
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 738
Fantastic report and good writing style! Am still with you all the way!

One question, do you plan to resume this report when you are back in S.America or starting a new one?
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:37 PM   #2426
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
What a difference a day makes!!!!

Took the taxi out to the Bogota airport yesterday morning for an extended day of air travel. The fare from downtown was 20,000 pesos ($11.00). There was a 70,000 peso ($38.00) airport departure tax that took the rest of my pesos. Went through customs and headed to my flight and who showed up but the Aussie traveler who helped me wheel the broken Sherpa down the dock for loading on the cargo boat to Turbo three months ago. What are the chances? He was surprised to see me. It turned out he was heading back to OZ for his brother's wedding. And it turned out his seat was next to mine in row 13 leaving Bogota on the 13th of 2013. Lots of lucky numbers working in our favor.

Occasionally you have coincidences in life that almost defy belief.

The flight to Florida was uneventful and in 3.5 hours we were back in the U.S. Because the flight was a little late I only had 25 minutes to clear customs and make my connecting flight to Arizona. I sprinted down the hall dodging wheelchairs and roller bag people and made it to customs only to see a HUGE line of people. Uh-oh. Could be trouble.

BUT NO. A person from Spirit Airlines called out for people trying to make a connecting flight and we raised our hands and she Spirited (ha) us away through the Pilots aisle and I made it through customs in 10 minutes. Then it was a sprint outside and up to the domestic flight deck where I threw my shoes and belt and computer in a plastic tray, whipped through the PSA and sprinted down to the gate just as they were about to close the doors. I had my belt and shoes in my hands and was half dressed as I sat down with a couple minutes to spare. I was the only person from Colombia to make that flight since I didn't have any luggage.

Made it to Mesa, Arizona just before midnight and my dear sister was there to pick me up and take me to her place. We stayed up talking until 2 AM which was 5 AM Bogota time. I just got up a while ago and she made me an excellent breakfast and I am coming back to earth as I type this.

Quite nice here in Arizona in the spring. Blue skies and brittle bush flowers with temps in the 70s. NICE!:

the cactus are blooming:

All in all, a great return to the good old U.S. of A. My sister just bought a new truck so I am buying her old Ford Ranger. It only has 93,000 miles which is 140,000 less than the Ranger I left back in Nebraska. I will be hanging out here for a couple weeks before driving my new to me 2002 Ford Ranger back to Nebraska. Hope to see some of you on the ride home. I definitely will be dropping by to visit Throttlemeister in Oklahoma if he's around to check out his new XR and shoot the breeze. Also plan to visit Misery Goat down here in the Phoenix area when I have had time to rest a day or so. You guys know what it's like to ride long and return to the U.S. It takes some time to adjust.

I will continue to update this report to let you know what it's like to leave the dream world of Latin America behind and enter back into society. Not as many people report back what it's like getting home and re-adjusting. I will also report back what I've learned along the way and anything I would do differently.

But for now, it's good to be back! I have gas money to get home and look forward to visiting with the folks back in Nebraska and earning a few thousand this summer so I can return to Medellin to continue this report next fall. But let's face it. Regular people can't really relate to what I've been through. Which is why it's nice to have ADVrider buddies who've been there and remember what it's like.

Adios amigos,
Juan Apache
Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM   #2427
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Fantastic report and good writing style! Am still with you all the way!

One question, do you plan to resume this report when you are back in S.America or starting a new one?
Hi WhicheverAnyWayCan,

I will continue this report. I'm just taking a break to reload my bank account. It's all part of the same ride through life. It sure has been nice having you along for the ride. Lots of good advice amigo. Thanks!

Kindest regards,
John WhicheverAnyWay Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 01:53 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #2428
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
JDowns, It appears the ride is over for this year. Thanks for letting us tag along and if you ever pass through my neck of the desert, drop me a PM. You have a place to rest up here while I ask many questions of how you make these adventures happen. Thanks again and I will be waiting for the next adventure or maybe I'll meet you on one of my own.
Phil
Hi Phil,

I'm heading east in my new Ranger so won't be traveling your way this time. But appreciate the offer and will drop by for a visit if I pass through your way in the future.

Thanks for the kind offer amigo.

Best,
John Ranger
Old 04-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #2429
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
WWJDownsD?

Now that's a pannier sticker I'd buy! It would be a not so secret code to just smile
HI TUCKERS,

Pretty funny. It sure made me smile.

Best,
John Don'tworrybehappy Downs
Old 04-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #2430
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Sad to see this part of the trip come to an end. So do you have any numbers as far as lodging, food, gas expenses? Really liked the way you travel and an inspiration to many of us that want to do it but are not as affluent as others.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote