Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 11:03 AM   #2551
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Joe flew in from New Zealand to continue another six months riding around North America. He goes by joeblogs here on ADV:

Joe is a great guy. So if you see him wandering around make sure to say hi. He took off this morning on the left hand side of the road, but he's slowly getting the hang of the Yank way of doing things.
If Joe passes through San Fran Bay Area and needs help/parts/tools for his DR650 or a place to work on it, have him get in touch here or on BIG DR650 thread. (I have no PM's here)

I have random DR parts and expendables: tires, tubes, chains, sprockets, brake pads and lots more ... all used but good ... and most free! Same offer for you John ... but DR650 stuff won't fit your bike!

Did Joe leave his bike somewhere after S. America? ... fly home, then return to USA to continue his journey?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #2552
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
If Joe passes through San Fran Bay Area and needs help/parts/tools for his DR650 or a place to work on it, have him get in touch here or on BIG DR650 thread. (I have no PM's here)

I have random DR parts and expendables: tires, tubes, chains, sprockets, brake pads and lots more ... all used but good ... and most free! Same offer for you John ... but DR650 stuff won't fit your bike!

Did Joe leave his bike somewhere after S. America? ... fly home, then return to USA to continue his journey?
Hi Adv Grifter,

Thanks for the kind offer amigo. I will pass it along to Joe. He should be over your way in the next month or two. He left his bike at Throttlemeisters house for the winter and flew back to New Zealand to make more money. Similar to what I'm doing in South America.

Best,
Ozark John
Old 05-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #2553
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Arrived at the SLAP (Squeal like a pig) ADVrally over here in Arkansas today in razorback Ozark country. The weather is beautiful and people say it's hot out. They haven't been stuccoing in 105 weather in Arizona or in 95 weather on the Colombian coast with 100% humidity, so I think hot is all relative. To me the weather is fantastic.

Signing in at the rally is Throttlemeister, New Zealand Joe chatting with Celtazon.

Located the Tulsa contingency and pulled in next to them:

Walked around the campground. This place is NICE! Especially liked this FJ with KTM stickers and a moto bumper carrier:

Nothing better than a KTM, a tent and a full can of gas. What else do you need out here in the sticks?

108 folks here but it's spread out along this inviting looking river with a custom pyramid:

Rode over to Oark in search of buttermilk pie and found the historic Oark General Store:

Went up to the front door and saw ADV sticker. This must be the place Throttlemeister was telling me about:

MMMMMMmmmmmmm good. I recommend the pie as well. Mighty fine!

They even have wifi. I am the first person who has ever asked. He turned on the router and I am delivering this update from the middle of nowhere. Gotta hit some back tracks before the sun sets. More later....
Old 05-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #2554
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Plenty of nice folks here at the SLAP rally today. Good food this evening and not a cloud in the sky. Plus great back roads anywhere you look:

Beautiful streams:

Lots of nice looking bikes:

I like this minimalist KTM camper:

The Ozarks are beautiful, the riding is great, the food is good and lots of ADVriders. I think I might have to come back again next year.

Reporting from the Ozarks,
Your pal John
Old 05-17-2013, 08:34 PM   #2555
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,044
glad you made it to SLAP safely ... wish I was there ...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #2556
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Nice bonfire last night:

Sat around until nobody else was around. Slept like a log and got up this morning. Got in the breakfast line:

for some scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits and gravy:

lots of other folks chowing down this morning:

Met Ulybrad and his wife. Last time I saw them was at the Roll the Bones rally down in Texas last fall on the way to Mexico. Those folks get around:

It takes five ADVriders to change a front tube. One working and 4 supervising:

Rode back up into the Ozark National Forest. Fresh air, not much dust, and cooler temps today:

Ran into Throttlemeister and New Zealand Joe at a crossroads and followed them for a while:

Joe had never seen Armadillo roadkill before so had to stop and take a pic:

more later........
Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #2557
Tomaso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
A lot of folks haven't seen that type of road kill. Including me, being an east coast Yankee. Wish I was there, to see a dead armadillo, taste the buttermilk pie, and hang with you around the fire awhile! The whole weekend sounds really great, John!
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #2558
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Oark, AR

Best cheeseburger I've ever had was at Oark. I went for the fresh coconut cream pie however.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #2559
optikalilluzion4
Okie Dokie

Oddometer: 307
Most Epic Ride Report Ever!!!!

Hola Don Juan De Sherpa,

Hey man, I have been reading your report since the beginning. I have to say it has been a great ride and I was not physically there. If I were a small guy, I would have me a Sherpa. I think it might be a little under powered for a 260lb dude. That SLAP ralley you were at is not to far from me. Venture down into Mississippi and I'll make you a pizza. I am getting myself prepared for my short ride journey in two weeks. I am heading to Orlando on my 2001 R1150GS. Ok, not very minimalist here, but love the thought of spending time on the road by yourself with nothing but you, the bike, and the road. Glad to see you made it back to your house that was still standing.

Kindest Regards,
Stephen

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 07:02 AM
optikalilluzion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #2560
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 275
Still loving it, even sans Sherpa and outside Latin America.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #2561
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Hey John,

I wanna be like you when I grow up.
Just came back to NY from beautiful North Carolina where I put a deposit on my next home! It is small and beautiful and will cost me allot less to maintain than where I live now. I'll be moving there this summer, downsizing and saving to have time to RIDE!!! Already had a nice ride coming back over Blue Ridge parkway and some secondary roads in Appalachian mountains. Arkansas rocks, been there two years ago and enjoyed the roads thoroughly but didn't know of any nice trails at the time. Hope the tornadoes didn't mess up folks rides in the area.

Muchas gracias for continuing to post.
Vic
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #2562
Burro driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Hey John,

I wanna be like you when I grow up.
Just came back to NY from beautiful North Carolina where I put a deposit on my next home! It is small and beautiful and will cost me allot less to maintain than where I live now. I'll be moving there this summer, downsizing and saving to have time to RIDE!!! Already had a nice ride coming back over Blue Ridge parkway and some secondary roads in Appalachian mountains. Arkansas rocks, been there two years ago and enjoyed the roads thoroughly but didn't know of any nice trails at the time. Hope the tornadoes didn't mess up folks rides in the area.

Muchas gracias for continuing to post.
Vic
Hey Vic
What part of NC are you moving to?
Burro driver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #2563
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro driver View Post
Hey Vic
What part of NC are you moving to?
My home will be in Fuquay-Varina hope to meet someone and go riding!

Cheers!
Vic
Old 05-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #2564
Tomaso
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Drac, you and I should go riding before you leave LI. I'm in Sag Harbor. (And I too hope to leave the Isle of Long sooner than later . . . maybe for a nice quiet mountainside somewhere in Central America.)
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #2565
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomaso View Post
Drac, you and I should go riding before you leave LI. I'm in Sag Harbor. (And I too hope to leave the Isle of Long sooner than later . . . maybe for a nice quiet mountainside somewhere in Central America.)
I am up for a ride, maybe even this weekend. It may have to be a short/local one but I would definitely enjoy meeting. It's been though on my time lately juggling a demanding job, a home sale, buying another out of state while handling logistics for the move. But I think am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel, this thread has fueled me tremendously to get off my a** and do it