User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #2596
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
I woke up early this morning and it was dark outside. Then the sky lit up suddenly with a flash followed a few seconds later by the sharp crack of lightning and a thunderous rolling roar that shook the windows. A few minutes later there was a pounding rain on the rooftop as I slowly came out of my deep slumber. Ah yes, it slowly dawned on me that I'm still in Oklahoma. This nomadic lifestyle seems to be hard to kick. So far I have been home 10 days this year. The rest of the time has been spent on the road. And it doesn't seem to have an end in sight.

I came to Oklahoma last month to go to the SLAP rally in Arkansas with Throttlemeister and New Zealand Joe. One thing has led to another and I am still down here in tornado alley remodeling Throttlemeister's brother's house.

It started with a custom tile shower in the garage apartment made with a stack of tile from a pallet collecting dust in Throttlemeister's shop and has extended into plumbing, painting, electrical, ceiling fan and fixture installation, custom kitchen counter, drywall etc. And this place is looking so nice I now will move upstairs in the main house to re-do the bathroom etc.

I was down to my last 200 bucks when I got back from Arkansas and now my travel fund is growing. It looks very promising. No problem getting back down to Colombia next fall to continue wandering around South America.

I owe it all to ADVrider. It occured to me recently that I have been remodeling various ADVriders places for the last 3 months off and on. First it was Al's pub down in Colombia, then moving on to TrevorHeath's place in Arizona and now down here in Oklahoma at Casa Hermano de Throttlemeister. And this weekend I need to get down to JumpJets place in south Tulsa and fix the chimney, cracked brick and rotting windowsills on the house he is selling.

Being a migrant gypsy contractor isn't a half bad way to earn travel funds in between riding. I would encourage younger folks with limited funds and a desire to travel to first learn how to work on your own bike and then learn as many remodeling trades as you can. It's a skill set that travels well and has earned me money or free food and lodging in New Zealand, Costa Rica, Colombia, Hawaii and the mainland U.S. Everywhere I go in the tropics there are retired English speaking people who need things done to their houses. They are more than happy to have a contractor who speaks their language and works cheap. And these days you can learn a lot about tile setting, plumbing, electrical, masonry or plastering by watching Youtube videos.

You mostly hear about people teaching English or working remotely over the internet to earn money in far off lands. That's probably a whole lot easier than what I do. But I'm not too bright. My skill set seems to be a strong back and a weak mind along with the ability to make a fireplace out of a pile of rocks, a shower out of a pile of ceramic tile or cabinets out of a pile of lumber.

I keep track of the days now since I like to go to the Tulsa Tuesday Pub Crawl to hang out with the local ADVrider tribe. Last night was chicken fried steak and Dr. Pepper at a Hooters kind of bar called Twin Peaks. Named after the mountainous mammaries of the waitresses. My camera battery was dead so no pics. Sorry. I left early to get back to some midnight sanding and painting.

Tulsa is a nice place to hang out for a big city. There are more people in this metropolitan area than the entire state of Nebraska. And I am still getting used to hanging out in a place that is 6 miles by 12 miles as opposed to Bassett which is 6 blocks by 12 blocks.

This week's post is sponsored by fellow ADVrider Marine By Choice who sent a generous paypal donation to the Sherpa South America travel fund. I look forward to signing his name on the gas tank when I get back to Medellin next fall.

I still have dreams about riding in the mountains of Colombia. Can't wait to get back down there.

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 06-05-2013 at 10:08 AM
Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #2597
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Hey John, I have some light remodeling to do in NE Texas if you are interested.

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
Old 06-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #2598
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Hey John, I have some light remodeling to do in NE Texas if you are interested.
Hi bigdon,

Boy, I sure wish I had time to cruise the Talimena skyline and head down to NE Texas, but I need to get out to Oregon in July to work on my sister's house. In the meantime, I have to finish up this Tulsa project, get back to Bassett to mow my lawn and leave the next day probably. This will probably take all of June. So can't make it to NE Texas this summer. Sorry.

But rest assured, after keeping you entertained with South American ride reports next winter, I will return and would be more than happy to swing through NE Texas if still needed.

My life for the forseeable future appears to consist of riding South America and sending back reports in the winter and working for family, friends and ADVriders in the summer to earn more travel funds. It's the best of both worlds.

Meeting and working for great folks around the world is a nice balance between long rides.

Best,
Johnny Tornado
Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #2599
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi bigdon,

Boy, I sure wish I had time to cruise the Talimena skyline and head down to NE Texas, but I need to get out to Oregon in July to work on my sister's house. In the meantime, I have to finish up this Tulsa project, get back to Bassett to mow my lawn and leave the next day probably. This will probably take all of June. So can't make it to NE Texas this summer. Sorry.

But rest assured, after keeping you entertained with South American ride reports next winter, I will return and would be more than happy to swing through NE Texas if still needed.

My life for the forseeable future appears to consist of riding South America and sending back reports in the winter and working for family, friends and ADVriders in the summer to earn more travel funds. It's the best of both worlds.

Meeting and working for great folks around the world is a nice balance between long rides.

Best,
Johnny Tornado
Sounds good, put me on the books!

Are you going to make the Oklahoma BMW Rally this weekend?

Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #2600
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Sounds good, put me on the books!

Are you going to make the Oklahoma BMW Rally this weekend?
I need to help JumpJet this weekend. His house is sold, escrow closes in a couple weeks and there is a punchlist of things that need fixing before the sale is finalized.

Not that I have anything against taking my Ford Ranger to a BMW rally. Heck, the last time I went to a BMW rally I was the only one riding in on a Honda minimalist XR250 with a sleeping bag and tarp and not much else. Smoked those big GS's on the rough trail ride, but when we hit the pavement they were rapidly receding dots on the horizon while I was screaming along at 65 in 5th.

Look forward to meeting you next year. So far you are on the top of the list for 2014. NE Texas is a surprisingly beautiful area of the country.

Your ADVpal,
Johnboy
Old 06-05-2013, 08:45 AM   #2601
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I need to help JumpJet this weekend. His house is sold, escrow closes in a couple weeks and there is a punchlist of things that need fixing before the sale is finalized.

Not that I have anything against taking my Ford Ranger to a BMW rally. Heck, the last time I went to a BMW rally I was the only one riding in on a Honda minimalist XR250 with a sleeping bag and tarp and not much else. Smoked those big GS's on the rough trail ride, but when we hit the pavement they were rapidly receding dots on the horizon while I was screaming along at 65 in 5th.

Look forward to meeting you next year. So far you are on the top of the list for 2014. NE Texas is a surprisingly beautiful area of the country.

Your ADVpal,
Johnboy
We met briefly at RTB early one morning. I was checking out your Sherpa and you my WR250.
I'm riding my KLR to the BMW Rally. Don't tell anyone.
My Wife will be so happy when I tell her you are coming next Spring. Maybe she won't nag me about the remodel since I have it under control.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #2602
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
We met briefly at RTB early one morning. I was checking out your Sherpa and you my WR250.
I'm riding my KLR to the BMW Rally. Don't tell anyone.
My Wife will be so happy when I tell her you are coming next Spring. Maybe she won't nag me about the remodel since I have it under control.
Hi bigdon,

I remember now. I have a tendency to lust after WR250s. A lot has happened in the six months since I met you at RTB.

Tell your wife you have it handled. And yes, my current purpose in life while not riding seems to be to keep fellow ADVriders wives happy and buff out their houses while they're out riding and having fun.

Safe travels this weekend amigo.

Buena Suerte,
Juanito
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #2603
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Speaking of the hills of Columbia...

Prepare for ultimate flaaaavoooorrrrr
Old 06-05-2013, 10:00 AM   #2604
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Speaking of the hills of Columbia...

Prepare for ultimate flaaaavoooorrrrr
Hi Clem Kevin,

I had to do a wikipedia brushup on Metalpocalypse since I don't watch TV. A lot has changed in the thirty or forty years since I was your age watching Juan Valdez Colombian coffee ads on TV.

Now I know how my Grandparents must have felt when I was listening to the Rolling Stones in the 60's and they were rolling their eyes and muttering to themselves WTF?

Saludos,
Juan Abuelo
Old 06-05-2013, 12:01 PM   #2605
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
Hi Clem Kevin,

I had to do a wikipedia brushup on Metalpocalypse since I don't watch TV. A lot has changed in the thirty or forty years since I was your age watching Juan Valdez Colombian coffee ads on TV.

Now I know how my Grandparents must have felt when I was listening to the Rolling Stones in the 60's and they were rolling their eyes and muttering to themselves WTF?

Saludos,
Juan Abuelo

Hahaha, if you ever get a chance to watch the show you should, it's pretty hilarious. I can't say I listen to a lot of metal like this these days, but it's definitely something that is a part of my lifestyle.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #2606
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Hahaha, if you ever get a chance to watch the show you should, it's pretty hilarious. I can't say I listen to a lot of metal like this these days, but it's definitely something that is a part of my lifestyle.
I'll check it out on Youtube if it's over there.

Just goes to show how far behind the times I am. I was thinking this ride report needed more cowbell.

Always glad to have a Santa Cruz death metalhead along for the ride. Rock on amigo.

Your ADVpal,
Johnny B. Goode
Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #2607
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Quote:
I'll check it out on Youtube if it's over there.

Just goes to show how far behind the times I am. I was thinking this ride report needed more cowbell.

Always glad to have a Santa Cruz death metalhead along for the ride. Rock on amigo.

Your ADVpal,
Johnny B. Goode
Soon to be Orange County metalhead, even less fitting. And just to make sure you don't have this image of me as some hardcore metal dude, here's a song for you.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #2608
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,723
Do you ever work?

Old 06-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #2609
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Do you ever work?

Busted!

But in my defense I'm a multi-tasker. Okay, I'll get back to painting now.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:30 PM   #2610
optikalilluzion4
Okie Dokie

Oddometer: 339
Hey John, I just got back from my trip down to Orlando, FL and on down to Anna Maria Island south of Tampa, FL. I would have to say that I have a new found respect for how far you ride that Sherpa. I went 1700 miles in two days of riding and my arse hurts. Still love what you are doing to help out the tornado victims in OK and to help out us stuck bored at work.

optikalilluzion4 screwed with this post 06-06-2013 at 07:47 AM
Closed Thread