Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #2626
Harry94025
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243

Is this corner of the structure failing? It looks like the wall is pulling away...

Harry
Harry94025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #2627
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94025 View Post
Is this corner of the structure failing? It looks like the wall is pulling away...

Harry
Hi Harry,

You have a keen eye. This garage was built nearly 100 years ago before they used steel reinforcing in footings. Decades ago when the slab cracked and the greater weight of the side wall settled 1/2 inch it resulted in the brick seperation at the top of the wall. It is more of an appearance problem than anything and the cracks where the mortar has fallen out over the years could stand to be re-pointed (filled with mortar).

All buildings fail eventually. This building will too. But probably not for another century or two.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #2628
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Went by the shamrock last Night and has a couple of Club Colombias. Al wasn't around but I didn't mind as there were plenty of beautiful girls around. There were a few gringos around, some of them hanging out with the locals behing the bamboo patch . When I smelled the smoke I turned around realizaing it wasn't incense what they were burning

You did a good job with the paint there. No overland bikes parked around. Beautiful weather in here, about 10 days with no rain. Dad says hi and the guys at the parking lot asked for you.
Hi Richard,

Glad to see you made it down to Medellin. Can't wait to get back down there. Say hi to your Dad for me.

And yes, the park next door to the Shamrock is a favorite place for the locals to take a smoke break under the bamboo. I heard pot is illegal but tolerated if you aren't obnoxious about it.

Saludos,
Juan de los Llanos
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #2629
JumpJet
Looking for Alpha

Oddometer: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
I need to help JumpJet this weekend. His house is sold, escrow closes in a couple weeks and there is a punchlist of things that need fixing before the sale is finalized.
IMAG0044

Thanks John!
1) Stop trying to save the world
2) Eat more Bacon
JumpJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #2630
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpJet View Post

Thanks John!
Hi Ralph,

Nice pic. Thanks for posting it. Glad to be of service. Your house was cake compared to the 2nd bathroom I'm remodeling now for Throttlemeister's brother. His second floor is a little rougher than your hacienda. Here are the before pics:

and the lovely shower:

Throttlemeister and his bro knocked out all the plaster and tile since this shot. I will post the after pic in a bit. 100 year old plumbing could use some updating.

I am actually enjoying my stay in Tulsa doing ADVrider extreme home makeover as I earn enough to head back to Colombia and continue this ride report in the fall.

JDowns screwed with this post 06-12-2013 at 12:21 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #2631
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,956
Hola Tio Juanito! Hope all is well in Okie-land amigo.

You inspired me to downsize a little bit.

They were out of 125's so I had to get the big bike.

Skid plate, soft bags and butt pad and I'm ready to do some distance and not get so many tickets.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 AM   #2632
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
Hola Tio Juanito! Hope all is well in Okie-land amigo.

You inspired me to downsize a little bit.

They were out of 125's so I had to get the big bike.

Skid plate, soft bags and butt pad and I'm ready to do some distance and not get so many tickets.
Damn Vince,

Nice bike! I'm jealous. I can dream of being rich and handsome like you, and you can dream of getting fewer tickets. We're both delusional. That little WR is a rocket. I can see you in Baja or backcountry Guatemala tearing it up in the near future. Julio and Mario look forward to your return to Centro America. Not to mention your buddies in Colombia.

Have fun amigo!
Okie Juanito
Old 06-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #2633
Dracula
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale7 View Post
When are you taking your next ride Vic?
Good question. Encouraged by reading other's travel stories here, I started changing my life toward that goal. And yet without an exact timing in mind, I feel it is in a certain future now. Maybe even next year. Selling an expensive to maintain home and settling in a different part of the US I can see this becoming reality. I will have to consider if my 07 GS 1200 with close to 90K is the right choice. But as I said to Jdowns, am going to wing it and this seems to be working so far I already feel in vacation mode visiting my soon to be new home near Raleigh and the roads not too far from the area beg me to discover as a warm up for a long trip.
This time I want to make my own RR thread right here on ADV.

Best,
Vic
Old 06-16-2013, 09:42 AM   #2634
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 634
Wink

Hi Juanito,

I'm going to have a little hijack here. I apologize in advance to those that will feel it like an abomination but tio Juanito has expressed here very clearly that he doen't mind.

Last ride I had before coming over here was in the WNC mountains. Here's topless Suzie cooling in the shade

As you well know, ripping through the streets of Medellin is much better in smaller bikes. A chinese super moto seems to do just fine

Indian bikes are pretty popular too

My brother in law lent me a Yamaha XT660. What a nice ride!

I decided to go to Guatape since it is such a nice ride

I didn't go up since there was entertainment in those restaurants at the bottom . Still a beatiful view

I thought of Throttlemeister while having this for lunch

All kinds of scooters around here

A pic of Medellin coming back down

Here's what the sky looks like today

You should come back before the avocado falls from the tree. Good luck finding it though.

These mangoes won't last much longer

My dad said to send you a pic of Taganga (with a twist). Here's hoping for better diving instructors

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #2635
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Hi Juanito,

I'm going to have a little hijack here. I apologize in advance to those that will feel it like an abomination but tio Juanito has expressed here very clearly that he doen't mind.
Thanks so much for the Colombian update. I sometimes forget just how beautiful it is down there. Thanks for the reminder amigo.

And yes, thank Orlando for the bikini Taganga spread. That's a pretty kicked back place.

Hope to see you down the road sometime.

Su amigo,
Juanito Burrito
Old 06-17-2013, 12:12 AM   #2636
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
That little WR is a rocket.
Well, its a matter of perspective I guess. Yes, it does have some zip for a 250. I've been riding hopped up off road race bikes and the 990 for too many years though, so it's not quite the same crack pipe, a little more creative energy management is involved, like keeping the revs above 8000. It actually pulls better than my old DRZ, except for off the bottom end. But its a much superior bike to the DRZ in every aspect, weight included, and the DRZ had a 39mm FCR pumper. That really surprised me. It's way, way better than the DRZ at highway speeds, and in whoops, sand, and rocks, no comparison. What it lacks in sex appeal it more than makes up for in utilitarianism.

That said, I think its going to be a great bike for me and I'll probably live longer because of it. Gotta love the 3000 mile oil change interval and the 26,600 mile valve check interval! I dont know why I love this 250 so much, but I do! Its capabilities are really surprising. Its really like a WR 250F with a few more pounds and a little less power, but way more versatility. I can see it being a perfect long distance travel bike, and rock bashing off-roader, all rolled into one.

I would love to take this bike down south. I think it would be perfect.

crashmaster screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 12:29 AM
Old 06-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #2637
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Damn Vince,

I can see you in Baja or backcountry Guatemala tearing it up in the near future. Julio and Mario look forward to your return to Centro America. Not to mention your buddies in Colombia.

Have fun amigo!
Okie Juanito
Hola Juanito, good to see that you inspired Vince to downsize ; now all you got to do is inspire him to take care of his long overdue visit to Guatemala and Salvador

Saludos!
Old 06-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #2638
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Well, its a matter of perspective I guess. Yes, it does have some zip for a 250. I've been riding hopped up off road race bikes and the 990 for too many years though, so it's not quite the same crack pipe, a little more creative energy management is involved, like keeping the revs above 8000. It actually pulls better than my old DRZ, except for off the bottom end. But its a much superior bike to the DRZ in every aspect, weight included, and the DRZ had a 39mm FCR pumper. That really surprised me. It's way, way better than the DRZ at highway speeds, and in whoops, sand, and rocks, no comparison. What it lacks in sex appeal it more than makes up for in utilitarianism.

That said, I think its going to be a great bike for me and I'll probably live longer because of it. Gotta love the 3000 mile oil change interval and the 26,600 mile valve check interval! I dont know why I love this 250 so much, but I do! Its capabilities are really surprising. Its really like a WR 250F with a few more pounds and a little less power, but way more versatility. I can see it being a perfect long distance travel bike, and rock bashing off-roader, all rolled into one.

I would love to take this bike down south. I think it would be perfect.
I remember back before the beginning of your ride, you were seriously considering the WR ... but one ride in the Desert and you 990 changed your mind. The 990 got the call.

That was .. what? over two years ago? So glad to hear
you're liking the new WR! Next step is to see how things go when the bike is packed up for the long haul (IE: S. America for a year).

I've also considered this bike (and still am) ... but after seeing them in person, loaded up, I felt carrying a load for travel was not ideal. (for me) Love to hear your feed back when you get round to it.

Sorry for the Hi-Jack ... back to the Adventures of Tornado John!

Adv Grifter screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 11:08 AM
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #2639
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
I remember back before the beginning of your ride, you were seriously considering the WR ... but one ride in the Desert and you 990 changed your mind. The 990 got the call.

That was .. what? over two years ago? So glad to hear
you're liking the new WR! Next step is to see how things go when the bike is packed up for the long haul (IE: S. America for a year).

I've also considered this bike (and still am) ... but after seeing them in person, loaded up, I felt carrying a load for travel was not ideal. (for me) Love to hear your feed back when you get round to it.

Sorry for the Hi-Jack ... back to the Adventures of Tornado John!
Ill get the chance to load it up later this summer for around Alaska/Yukon.

I already had the 990 when I started my travels, so it was pointless to buy another bike at the time. That was almost 3 years ago. I still think it was a fantastic bike for extended travel. But there is something appealing to me about taking a small bike, and way less crap. I traveled with about half the crap that most folks take and it was still too much. John inspired me to do the minimalist thing. I'm thinking just throw a small giant loop on the back and go travel.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 PM   #2640
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Ill get the chance to load it up later this summer for around Alaska/Yukon.

I already had the 990 when I started my travels, so it was pointless to buy another bike at the time. That was almost 3 years ago. I still think it was a fantastic bike for extended travel. But there is something appealing to me about taking a small bike, and way less crap. I traveled with about half the crap that most folks take and it was still too much. John inspired me to do the minimalist thing. I'm thinking just throw a small giant loop on the back and go travel.
It was only a matter of time. Face it, you are a minimalist at heart. Less is more.

A spankin' WR with a giant loop. Sounds like summer fun to me. If it's not too much trouble, I'd really appreciate a Northcountry Crashmaster ride report to keep me entertained while I'm working this summer.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito