User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 AM   #2656
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Part of the fun of this ride report, for me at least, is that I have no idea where it is going. When I took off on the Sherpa last Fall, all I knew is that I was going to make it to South America come hell or high water, both of which I got to experience first hand. When I ran out of money and flew back from Colombia I had no more idea than you do how I would get back to continue this ride report. And yet I have total faith that I will return to South America and continue reporting back what I find next fall. Obsessions die hard. Especially for people like me who aren't the sharpest tool in the shed.

While I find it fascinating to see what it takes to get back down to Colombia, 805greg has a valid point. People come to ride reports to see pictures and tales of motorcycling on the roads less traveled.

My only desire in reporting back what it takes to return to South America is to keep the dream alive for young folks who aren't sure if riding long and far is something they can afford to do. I am here to tell you, YES IT IS. Set your mind to a goal and you can make it happen. Nobody will do it for you. All you will hear from friends and family if you tell them you are heading to South America on a dirt bike is negativity. Get used to it. I sometimes feel like the lone voice in the wilderness encouraging fellow riders to take off for distant lands. You won't regret it.

In the meantime, until I get to Oregon next month and retrieve my XR250 and have some actual pics and stories with motorcycles and ADVriders I will try to restrain myself in my reporting.

Humbly yours,
Manuel Labor

JDowns screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 07:54 AM
Old 06-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #2657
TDC_ERock
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I've also been following from the start. Very inspiring.

Your ride is not over. If the mods want to move the thread, fine. But count me as one who is enjoying it just as it is. Plenty of ride reports start before the riding begins. I hope you won't let one petty debbie downer with an attitude keep you from posting. I bet 99% of us reading this would agree. Adelante Juan Tornado de Nebraska!
A Little Mexico Trip Day 2
Old 06-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #2658
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
is this still a ride report,? If not move it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
From the perspective of some of who quietly follows and very much enjoys this thread daily. I hope it continues as is. I dont know what Mr. 805s problem is, but part of the interest of this thread from the begining has been all of the periphery points of interest and skills relating to the expertice, life and times of the OP. After all there is more to life than dirt roads, camp sites, mountain vistas, beaches, great food and friends. Well maybe not much more. Carry on.
+1 with that comment.. I feel that JDowns is also giving future ADVriders some idea how you can take a short break from RTW riding to work odd jobs to recoup some cash and continue the riding. My mentor has suggested me considering maybe take a seasonal job in Alaska before heading down to Argentina. I don't see why not include this in the RR because I thought JDowns kept his odd job story very short and simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi 805gregg,

Sorry if I offended you. Yes it is still a ride report, but your point is well taken. I'll stick to ride reporting from now on and respond to other stuff by PM from now on and ask that others do the same.

Until I have more riding to report I'll shut my yap. Thanks for the heads up amigo.
Ah, I guess you can't make everyone happy but that was definitely a class act! This is still your riding report so write whatever you want. Gregg can always unsubscribe and keep his problem to himself while many others are enjoying your RR. So please carry on with your style regardless of few unhappy campers!
Old 06-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #2659
boatbkr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Agreed !
Old 06-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #2660
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
John:

I agree with the majority. Keep this report alive. I am intrigued with your abilities about how to make money to continue your SA ride.

I get tired of seeing exotic places and rough roads in 3rd world countries all the time. I like your idea of letting us know how much it costs and how to fund your adventures. We are not all adventurers . . . you are letting us all see your human side and see that you are just like us, except most of us haven't taken the big leap to do the ride that you have done, and are going to do. Must be jealousy . . .

carry on

bob

current RR --> click here
Old 06-27-2013, 10:10 AM   #2661
gasandasphalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
JDowns

There are also the folks that don't like Christmas and wish to take it from the masses......

John,,, I say KEEP IT AS IS'
Old 06-27-2013, 10:13 AM   #2662
Sunday Rider
Adventurer Wanabe

Oddometer: 744
Please keep it going. I've been following as well.

Are you home? NO.

So you are on the road with some non-ride activity.

Where else can you learn about minimalist riding and well built stone walls?

Keep the show going..
Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #2663
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Motoquero Juan deserves a pass IMO. If this report sways off line for a while, not a problem for me. John has provided a unique and informative report ... giving inspiration to many dreamers to get up off the couch and ... GO!

Viajero Juan has drawn a perfect template ... the slackers here no longer have an excuse NOT TO GO.

Very few ride reports on ADV even come close to John's on so many levels.

I look forward to October when John gets back on the move South ... it will be like the 2nd Half! And after that? Africa? Asia? Mongolia?
Old 06-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #2664
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
is this still a ride report,? If not move it
You can send JDowns a fat check if you'd like, I'm sure it'd get back to ride reporting that way. Or go out and ride yourself if you want a ride report.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #2665
SmilinJoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Keep it coming John

Hey John. I am enjoying the report the way it is. This is one of the best reports out there. Like seeing what you are doing to fund your travels. Not everyone has a trust fund or are just wealthy. You are an inspiration to us poor folks! If Mr. Greg does not like the path of your report, there are thousands of other reports he can be reading. Keep it up John!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #2666
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll continue reporting all the news fit to print.

I am fully aware that this ride report has more twists and turns than a bowl of pretzels at Oktoberfest.

I still wake up from dreams of riding in the Colombian mountains. Dreams will once again be reality soon enough. It's how all ride reports get started in the first place.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 06-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #2667
WJW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
I think that what you are reporting is part of the ride report, it is how you will be able to continue the ride and keep the ride and report going next winter, Keep the earnings report going, I for one like it.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #2668
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,371
Hey John, your RR makes us old guys think we could do this also. But we know we never will.
But hell man we can dream.

Enjoyed every post of yours.

TrashCan screwed with this post 06-27-2013 at 05:08 PM
Old 06-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #2669
tonymarchman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Hi John, Count me in. I have throughly enjoyed your RR for months now. Without your reporting I would feel something missing. Glad to hear you will be in Tennessee next year. I am near Nashville and hope to meet up with you.
Thanks again
Tony in Tn
Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #2670
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymarchman View Post
Hi John, Count me in. I have throughly enjoyed your RR for months now. Without your reporting I would feel something missing. Glad to hear you will be in Tennessee next year. I am near Nashville and hope to meet up with you.
Thanks again
Tony in Tn
Hi Tony,

I'll make a point of stopping by Nashville for a visit when I pass through Tennessee next year. Glad to have you along. Look forward to meeting you. Meeting fellow ADVriders has been the high point of my travels. It's like a big extended family when you're out on the road for months at a time. I never used to take the time back when I seemed to always be in a hurry to see the world in two weeks before heading back to work.

Best,
John in OK
Closed Thread