Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #2671
notsofasteddie
Semi Slow Rider

Oddometer: 62
Keep it up!

Just keep doing what you're doing, it's great to see some personal life also. I admire the hell out of you and your outlook on life. You are the poster child for taking life as it comes and looking at things as an adventure (even remodeling an old bathroom). What you're doing now is part of your life (that same continuing adventure), whether you're doing it in Colombia or Tulsa.

There's a lot of other ride reports for people to click on if they want see something else. I for one have been enjoying this one for a long time now and would hate to see you stop. You write well and pass on little of your mind set each time you put something out here.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #2672
Chitown Wheel
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Count me in on that you are doing it just right. I have been following you from the beginning with no urge to contribute but I don't remember seeing a memorable contribution from 805greg during that time! Keep up the good work because you have certainly inspired my next ride!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #2673
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Carl Sagan was quoted as saying, "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Maybe its just me (sounds like it is not), but I am loving the "behind the scenes" that allows John to roam on his bike. Its an important and integral part of the whole. It is "inventing the universe" in which the wonder of his ride report takes place, or at the very least bringing the ingredients together and baking.

Some people just want their apple pie NOW. Some people are impatient and want what they want, and don't mind inconsiderately demanding it. There is plenty of apple pie on plenty of the shelves here on Advrider where there is no need to watch the pie being made. If you don't care to watch a true craftsman (of many crafts and on many levels) perform his craft, please just indulge in those other pies.

To me, this is the pause between courses of a wonderful feast, there is conversation and a chance to socialize and get to know each other a bit. If you can't appreciate that, get thee to a fast foodery.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #2674
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidrider View Post
Carl Sagan was quoted as saying, "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."

Maybe its just me (sounds like it is not), but I am loving the "behind the scenes" that allows John to roam on his bike. Its an important and integral part of the whole. It is "inventing the universe" in which the wonder of his ride report takes place, or at the very least bringing the ingredients together and baking.

Some people just want their apple pie NOW. Some people are impatient and want what they want, and don't mind inconsiderately demanding it. There is plenty of apple pie on plenty of the shelves here on Advrider where there is no need to watch the pie being made. If you don't care to watch a true craftsman (of many crafts and on many levels) perform his craft, please just indulge in those other pies.

To me, this is the pause between courses of a wonderful feast, there is conversation and a chance to socialize and get to know each other a bit. If you can't appreciate that, get thee to a fast foodery.
Hi Voidrider,

Very well put. Part of why I enjoy watching this ride report unfold is just because of the insightful comments from other riders. I have learned so much on this segment of my travels from my fellow ADVriders. From great places to stay, nice roads to take, offers of places to camp, to deeper issues of the philosophy of long term minimalist travel.

One thing that doesn't get discussed much is how the heck do you finance long multi-month travels. I know it was a mystery to me and its one reason I have tried to document just how much things cost and how to lower your expectations and travel minimally to extend your travel time if you are on a limited budget. I don't have a spouse or family to keep these things from, so I am free to relate just how expensive these travels are for all to see. Along those lines I am continuously trying out new ideas to see if they are something others could try. Whether it's paypal gas donations or work exchange in Colombia, buffing out ADVriders houses, trading all my old motorcycle parts stacked in the garage for paypal donations next year in South America {have just started with that one but it is for the flea market not this report}, I will continue to report back innovative ideas for others to try out.

I really appreciate all the kind comments from folks who have been following along. It means a lot. For now, I'll get back to inventing the universe.

Muchas gracias,
Juanito
Old 06-28-2013, 05:37 AM   #2675
BMRDOUG
GSA Rider

Oddometer: 37
Keep doing what your doing

I've been lurking for a long time & really enjoy your report.
Your overview of the remodeling projects is great also. It's not like your telling us what type of grout your using, lenght of tubing for the shower or anything, just an overview.
I have no problem with that, the only problem I have is that you didn't kick Throttlemeister's ass & get him to continue his report

CHEERS
Doug
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #2676
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,582
Yep. I kind of thought that there were a lot of folks out there enjoying your ride report and S.A.H.R.T. And if we want it to continue, it is important that you know it. On some level you must have known that we were here. Heck, It looks like some of these guys officially signed up just to be sure that you knew how much we appreciate your perspective. There are a lot more of us out here who yearn for the frugal, minimalist "Sherpa" style ( even if we are not in a position to participate) than those who subscribe to the big German and Austrian Maxi, Kitchen Sink way of ADVriding. By default, they just seem to be louder. We hope that you will continue with your timely up dates, regardless of the nay sayers. "The needs of the many are greater than the needs of the few. Or the one." We are patiently waiting........

2bold2getold screwed with this post 06-28-2013 at 01:38 PM
Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #2677
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
I like this thread. If I didn't, I would unsubscribe.
Old 06-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #2678
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,427
In order to understand the "Minimalist" part of your adventure, it is important to know how you make it happen from the financial point. Keep up the good work
Old 06-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #2679
Blind Warrior
Lost in the Ozone

Oddometer: 369
Hey, 805gregg, how did that work out for you?

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." - Frank Zappa
Old 06-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #2680
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Hi Jon
When your ride ended in SA I decided to opt out because most of what gets posted is unrelated. Well browsing the RR section and seeing your Report still appearing after all this time I thought I better see what you are up to. Well as many have said I too enjoy seeing you work your magic on the remodels you have been doing. So as of today I back in for more adventure and knowledge. As a side note I got a PM this morning from Kedgi in Shediac, as he was reading your reports he saw a post from me and noticed where I live. They must be talking about our weather and he was wondering how we live in these temps [125 ] today. We had a few replies back and forth and through you I have a new acquaintance.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #2681
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Warrior View Post
Hey, 805gregg, how did that work out for you?
San Clemente!
Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #2682
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,424
John, most important thing first: Not only do I have your socks, I took them to Durango, Mexico, last week and used them on a dirt bike ride in Sierra with ADV inmate SR on a back country off-road ride to Mazatlan!

They were key to the successful ride! Thanks! Sorry to keep bringing up the socks!

Second, no offense to Mr. 805, but I checked his profile and he has no ride reports So for Mr. Gregg to pipe up as to the suitability of your ride report as you work out this phase, well, he should come back here with some street cred.

Certainly, your contractor work and exploits, to me, are facinating in and of themselves. That you are using your skills to fund the upcoming "second half" of the ride, is worthy of a book, not just a ride report.

I want you to consider a house plant business I have in mind for Los Angeles. I could use your business sense. Let me know

June (Tricewife) says to tell you that she would love to have you back here at the Casona at any time

We'll be in Nebraska in 3 weeks as week start out for Iowa's RAGBRAI bike ride.

GO BIG RED
Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #2683
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
John, most important thing first: Not only do I have your socks, I took them to Durango, Mexico, last week and used them on a dirt bike ride in Sierra with ADV inmate SR on a back country off-road ride to Mazatlan!

They were key to the successful ride! Thanks! Sorry to keep bringing up the socks!

Second, no offense to Mr. 805, but I checked his profile and he has no ride reports So for Mr. Gregg to pipe up as to the suitability of your ride report as you work out this phase, well, he should come back here with some street cred.

Certainly, your contractor work and exploits, to me, are facinating in and of themselves. That you are using your skills to fund the upcoming "second half" of the ride, is worthy of a book, not just a ride report.

I want you to consider a house plant business I have in mind for Los Angeles. I could use your business sense. Let me know

June (Tricewife) says to tell you that she would love to have you back here at the Casona at any time

We'll be in Nebraska in 3 weeks as week start out for Iowa's RAGBRAI bike ride.

GO BIG RED
Hey Trice!

Good to hear from you! I miss those socks. Glad you put them to good use amigo.

As far as plant businesses in L.A., I could be wrong, but I thought it was Colorado and Washington that legalized pot while I was wandering around South America.

I had to do a google search to see where the RAGBRAI cycle route is. Looks like fun. Love the logo for this years event. I can see you in a 2013 RAGBRAI T-shirt.

I'll be in Texas next year and will make a point to visit you guys. Give my best to your better half.

Saludos,
Juan sin Calcetines
Old 06-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #2684
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Saludos,
Juan sin Calcetines
Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #2685
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 689
I got late to the party but I have a very selfish interest to see John make it back to my native city to pick up the mighty KawaZuki that my dad helped fix. So this story is personal to me. Though I doubt Mr. 805gregg will chime in here again, I want to remind him he has a choice: he can choose to skip the "USA contractor edition report" the same way we choose to follow it.

John, you're a nice guy who apologizes to Gregg for not keeping him happy. No need though. We'll follow with the same enthusiasm your report on soldier's course or grout lines. Medellin is waiting on you and we're all here cheering.

Looking forward to following your story Tio Juanito

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Closed Thread