Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #256
Grits&Gravy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Sam from Houston who I met out in the sticks the day before yesterday offered to give me his tent since he wants a bigger one. Hmmmm. That's a tough offer to refuse. It is not much bigger than my ice blue Walmart tent. When you're traveling minimalist it is a constant battle to trim your load. But in this case my thinking is I will switch for the slightly larger dark green stealth color tent so I don't stick out like a sore thumb south of the border. Plus it has a forest green rain fly that can double as a bike cover. I know that Throttlemeister was telling me that it isn't a bad idea to have your bike covered at night when parked. Out of sight, out of mind and all that.

And as an added side benefit, Sam can watch his tent make it to South America. Sam left so quick this morning that I forgot to have him sign my tank. So I'll sign Sam Houston on the tank. Even though he's originally from Biloxi. Sam Houson has a nice ring to it.

Thanks!

Best,
John Downs
John, I hope the tent serves you well and that you have an Epic journey!! It was a pleasure meeting you and a great weekend to boot.

Looking back on our encounter, it was quite funny..... When we met, you were telling me about where you were staying and had come from, and I realized you must be on a trip. When I asked where you were going and you said South America it didn't register at all, but when you started talking to one of the other guys our conversation processed and I realized who you were and that I had been reading your ride report. So I turn around and see the Sherpa and it all clicked. Cool moment!!! Small World!!!

How often do you run into a "famous" guy on a gravel road West of Waco, Tx on his way to South America???? Good Luck and I'll be keeping up with this report. Safe travels......

Grits&Gravy screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 08:05 PM
Old 10-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #257
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneggz View Post
John, I hope the tent serves you well and that you have an Epic journey!! It was a pleasure meeting you and a great weekend to boot.

Looking back on our encounter, it was quite funny..... When we met, you were telling me about where you were staying and had come from, and I realized you must be on a trip. When I asked where you were going and you said South America it didn't register at all, but when you started talking to one of the other guys our conversation processed and I realized who you were and that I had been reading your ride report. So I turn around and see the Sherpa and it all clicked. Cool moment!!! Small World!!!

How often do you run into a "famous" guy on a gravel road West of Waco, Tx on his way to South America???? Good Luck and I'll be keeping up with this report. Safe travels......

Hi grneggz,

If I find a green permanent marker I'll draw some grneggz and ham under Sam Houston on the tank.

Thanks so much for the tent. It will be put to the test. Stay tuned for shots of your tent from here to God only knows where.

Famous schmamous. I'm just a guy riding a bike. Tell me I don't look like a dusty balding hobo after chasing Slowoldguy all day. You're the famous and generous one in my memory.

Take care,
John Downs
Old 10-28-2012, 08:27 PM   #258
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Hola JD!

Just came across your RR, and I must say I think you definitely have the right approach.... psychologically. I see you have some good amigos, Throttlemiester and Crash Master; They too give great inspiration. (Hi Guys)

Funny, as I have been pouring over my Mexico maps as I so miss heading south, been toying with another trip down to roam around. Anyway, if you not on a timeline you should give some consideration to hitting the Yucatan and Quintana Roo. And hit Guatemala via Belize. I so want to go back...

I am already planning on another trip, but I think I'll ride my DRZ next time. I love my big 990, and aside from passing power I think the smaller lighter ride will suffice. Many times while riding down there I kept thinking I wish I was on a smaller bike (easier to pickup, splitting, turn around, parking, fuel consumption, etc) but I will admit passing power to is nice.

So, needless to say I am in! that is until I head out again.

BTW, I found this invaluable

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley

Idahosam screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 08:52 PM
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 PM   #259
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
Hola JD!

Just came across your RR, and I must say I think you definitely have the right approach.... psychologically. I see you have some good amigos, Throttlemiester and Crash Master; They too give great inspiration. (Hi Guys)

Funny, as I have been pouring over my Mexico maps as I so miss heading south, been toying with another trip down to roam around. Anyway, if you not on a timeline you should give some consideration to hitting the Yucatan and Quintana Roo. And hit Guatemala via Belize. I so want to go back...

I am already planning on another trip, but I think I'll ride my DRZ next time. I love my big 990, and aside from passing power I think the smaller lighter ride will suffice. Many times while riding down there I kept thinking I wish I was on a smaller bike (easier to pickup, splitting, turn around, parking, fuel consumption, etc) but I will admit passing power to is nice.

So, needless to say I am in! that is until I head out again.
Hi Idahosam,

Really enjoyed reading your last ride report. And yes, I'll head out to the Yucatan if for no other reason than to shake SSinVenezuelas hand if he's still working out there when I pass through. Throttlemeister speaks highly of him.

I wish I had your DRZ or 990 problem. I'd probably take the 990 if I was rich and handsome like you.
Hey, its getting cold in Idaho. Eeny meeny miny moe, grab a bike, pack up and go. That is my advice. And yes I agree, Guia Roji is a useful atlas of Mexico.

Best,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 10-29-2012 at 09:51 AM
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #260
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Finally left the Roll the Bones Rally after everyone left and the temp warmed up around 11.

Stopped for a break and this guy ran all the way across the parking lot to say hi and get some pets. He has a hitch in his giddyup and his right front leg doesn't work too well so he hoofed it on three legs. Tough old guy. Kindred spirit:

They have nice roadside rest stops in Texas even on minor roads:

Stopped to get gas and met these folks. Dave and I believe Karen. Didn't write their names down dang it. Anyway she had a beemer with sidecar and got all three wheels off the ground yesterday. She likes riding dirt. He likes street riding on his R1100R. Opposites attract they say. Nice couple. :

Finally made it down to Casa Tricepilot where I am living in the lap of luxury in an actual house. Today I bought gas for 5.99, food was 9.20 and the 10 I spent on raffle tickets late last night for 25.19.

Tomorrow I head down to the border and visit some folks from Bassett who winter near there. Probably hit Reynosa the next day and then it is °Viva Mexico!

°Andale muchachos!
Su amigo Juanito
Old 10-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #261
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Had a nice morning with the Tricefamily. Tricewife made some delicious waffles and I had what may be my last great cup of coffee in a while.

A fellow was coming in this morning and Trice was scheduled to direct him while he fixed his KLR doohickey. First order of business was moving the Tricebikes out of the garage to make room. Here they are parked next to the Sherpa out on the street:

It looks like the Trice GS12 is trying to take a bite out of the Sherpa:

Nice bedliner black KLR. Great Latin America bike:

This Rocket III would be fun to take down to Mazatlan for bike week. Muy macho motocicleta:

Nearly ten times the displacement of a Sherpa. Now we're talking. Pero mi dos ciento cinquenta motor es muy macho tambien. (But my 250 motor is very macho as well). Yeah right, in my dreams. Anyway Tricewife likes riding along on this bike. That's all that matters:

So I left Trice to his devices. Here he is thinking hard. He normally is smiling but I didn't get that shot. You want to buy motorcycles on craigslist from people who own garages like this:

I am heading south down the road to the Mexican border to visit some retired ranchers from Basset Nebraska who winter down here in the Rio Grande Valley somewhere this side of Reynosa.

More later......

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 01:00 AM
Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #262
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

So far this has been one of the most fun trips I have ever taken. I am just as curious as you may be to see where it goes. I never know from day to day what might pop up. From sidetrips to the Ozarks, Zombie Apocalypse riding over teeter totters and down gullies, heading out dirt roads through Texas hill country at warp speed, meeting 81 year old ZX ridin' thrill junkies at the public library in Palestine.

It's been a long strange trip and I've only been gone two weeks. This is the first time I have ever taken the time to stop and meet or stay with people regularly between camping stops. I highly recommend it. There are some great and interesting ADVriders on the tent space list. If I hadn't taken the time to stop and visit the local folk along the way I would have passed by most of these experiences.

Before I left San Antonio this morning I figured I better take care of anything I needed before heading into Mexico. I still didn't have a cheap backup camera. I don't know if you've ever been in a pawn shop before but they are interesting places. Usually located in depressed areas, frequented by depressed people. But I didn't want to spend a fortune for a camera and Walmart only went down to 100.00 or so. I was looking for 20.00 or below that used AA batteries. Nothing fancy. So I took a San Antonio exit that looked depressed. I was looking for a person who might frequent pawn shops to ask directions. Saw a guy sitting at a table in a strip mall that looked like a good possibility. Meet Raphael:

Nice guy under the gang persona. Wounded vet on disability. Kind of like the nice limping dog I met yesterday. A tough survivor. Raphael knows pawn shops. He directed me here:

The nicest and cheapest pawn shop I've been in yet where I found a Nikon Coolpix like I had. I asked the lady if she would take 20 bucks cash since I didn't want to pay 30. She said okay. So if your digital camera bites the dust while you are traveling in the States, check out pawn shops. And it is okay to offer lower prices like you were bargaining at a garage sale. Who knew? The lady behind the counter didn't want her picture taken so you'll just have to imagine a good looking Latina woman. I always ask permission before taking pictures of people along the way. But it is nice to have pics for when you get home to remember people by. Things are so different in big cities though. I have to watch myself. Back home you say hi to people in the grocery store aisle even if you don't know them. Or at least nod and smile as you walk by. And it is considered rude not to wave to passing cars if you are walking home down the sidewalk. In a big city you have to catch yourself. It is mildly threatening to say hi to strangers walking down the street or in stores. They think you're a little crazy or something. It's one thing I miss about the northern plains when I am away on trips.

Next stop was a black baseball cap. I like to cover up my helmet hair when I am off the bike so I don't scare people with the crazed vagrant look. It's just easier to throw on a baseball cap than comb your hair 20 times a day. Throttlemeister had given me a bright yellow cap but it really shows the dirt, especially when you change your oil and grab your cap or it falls in the dirt. The color black rules for looking good when traveling. Thrift stores sell caps cheap so I stopped here:

and traded the oil stained yellow one I had for a black Chevy truck one. Chevy is pronounced with a hard Ch as in church south of the border by the way. Thrift stores are a great place to pick up warm clothes if you get caught out in a freakish cold front in July let me tell you. Just donate them back somewhere when it gets warm later in the trip.

My riding gloves have had it after making it to Panama and back plus the 3 thousand miles down here. So got another pair and tossed the old ones. It was actually kind of sad to throw the old pair away. We've been through a lot. But when you're on a small bike you can't carry dead weight.

Headed down 300 miles to near McAllen Texas where I am now staying with snowbirds from back home. The toe of Texas flattens out south of San Antonio with a lot of straight roads. No pics of gnarly adventurous backroads today I'm afraid.

It turns out that Haloween is day after tomorrow and there is a big shindig here with costumes, so I'm spending tomorrow painting the guest bathroom and making a zombie costume. Okay she wants me to be a farmer or a motorcycle dude. I'm thinking zombie though. Oklahoma has changed me for the better.

Today I spent 14.12 on gas, 20.00 on a camera, and 45.01 on food, hat, gloves for a total of 79.13

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 08:57 AM
Old 10-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #263
BrŠulio Biker
Brazilian Adventure

Oddometer: 10
I'm at the 5th page and enjoying very much your trip (which hasn't even started at that point).

Ride safe, man!
Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 AM   #264
Rick M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
This fellow unloaded his plated KLX400 off the bumper rack on his Porsche Cayenne in the background. Must be nice:

I'd rather be riding than working and making payments. But that's just me.

Thats a Kawasaki klx 450 r and it and the Porsche are paid for : Work hard and play harder ! Thats my motto
Thanks for helping me load up and have a great trip!!!

Rick M screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 06:59 AM Reason: wording
Old 10-30-2012, 06:59 AM   #265
dualsportrider2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Good Lick

It was great meeting you last weekend. Have a great trip and adventure. I have subscribed.
1985 IT200 - Gone but not forgotten..
No longer broken......
Old 10-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #266
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
Thats a Kawasaki klx 450 r and it and the Porsche are paid for : Work hard and play harder ! Thats my motto
Hi Rick,

It was nice meeting you. I like your motto!

And please forgive my ignorance. I just assumed people made payments on toys as nice as yours. You are obviously a hard working and successful man. It shows.

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #267
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualsportrider2 View Post
It was great meeting you last weekend. Have a great trip and adventure. I have subscribed.
Hi dualsportrider2,

I don't remember your name, but I remember your face and ADV handle. Nice to have you along for the ride. Hope to see you down the road in the future.

Best,
John Downs
Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #268
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Rick,

It was nice meeting you. I like your motto!

And please forgive my ignorance. I just assumed people made payments on toys as nice as yours. You are obviously a hard working and successful man. It shows.

Best,
John Downs
Watch out for that guy John Wassup Rick!

We did a little ride around the west back in September. Here we are with Ranger Bob in Wyoming.

John
Old 10-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #269
Rick M
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Laugh You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Watch out for that guy John Wassup Rick!

We did a little ride around the west back in September. Here we are with Ranger Bob in Wyoming.

John
Hey John, lets ride bitches

Rick M screwed with this post 10-30-2012 at 10:20 AM Reason: spelling
Old 10-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #270
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M View Post
This fellow unloaded his plated KLX400 off the bumper rack on his Porsche Cayenne in the background. Must be nice:

I'd rather be riding than working and making payments. But that's just me.

He nailed Mr. Miller !

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
Closed Thread