Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 01:40 AM   #2716
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi veriest1,

I remember you well from RTB. Good to have met you. You tard you. Glad you are still following along. I think the majority rules. I'll post whatever the hell I want on this ride report from now on.

Saludos,
Juan Tardo
Hey now! I don't always ride like a tard.

But there was a gaggle of small bikes getting fuel ahead of me and a stretch of twisty pavement nearby so I *had* to get around them. ;)

Anyway, now that I've defended my questionable one time compulsion, carry on with the report. I've been having serious Mexico envy and I'm not sure when I'll have time to scratch it so living vicariously through you and others is my only real choice.

Sent from my HTC using magic.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:43 AM   #2717
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Hi Hawk62cj5,

Colombians know how to have fun, that's for sure. I like to goof around and have fun as well. I think I might be part Colombian. Not sure if mom had a Colombian boyfriend or not.

Best,
Juan Paisa

You might be, they were bribed into the poker game with 5 boxes of pizza
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:00 AM   #2718
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
....I think the majority rules. I'll post whatever the hell I want on this ride report from now on.

Saludos,
Juan Tardo

Still here following along John, don't change a thing.
nvklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #2719
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
Thumb

As a minimalist myself, with an '02 Sherpa, who also chooses not to drink and one who recognizes the preciousness of life and that each moment is the adventure I want to say you have enriched my life and inspired me.

I find meaning and value in your encouragement of others and your example of letting go of fixed plans when 'things fall apart'....as they are prone to do, since uncertainty is the only certainty.

You seem like someone I'd love to have as a friend. I am in the beautiful wild mountains of Southern Appalachia, in Asheville and you are welcome any time !

Thanks for being you John.

snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #2720
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Wise words, Señor Dracula,

Enjoying more riding and travel time is a noble goal. I was fortunate to work for wealthy folks whose vast possessions kept them so busy they never had time to go anywhere. I feel fortunate to have sold everything I owned at an early age and traveled around the world with a daypack for a year. You learn just how little you really need to get by.

Ah yes, but there is a balance. Everyone finds it.

Best,
Your pal John
Hi John,

I am so glad you still keep this book "open" ..

.. balance... is something I seemingly was never good at so I may be the exception. When I really liked something couldn't get enough. Now older I am just slowly forced to accept the need for it due to my limitations. 20 some years ago didn't matter it was pouring rain and I was only wearing a pair of jeans and t-shirt riding all day soaked. Now my knees remind me of it every morning. The truth is I will probably never change or find balance because I don't know how to seek it, or am not ready yet to find it. Maybe it will come to me and I'll let you know as if it were not for your writings I'd be allot further from it.

Best,
Vic
Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #2721
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by snare View Post
As a minimalist myself, with an '02 Sherpa, who also chooses not to drink and one who recognizes the preciousness of life and that each moment is the adventure I want to say you have enriched my life and inspired me.

I find meaning and value in your encouragement of others and your example of letting go of fixed plans when 'things fall apart'....as they are prone to do, since uncertainty is the only certainty.

You seem like someone I'd love to have as a friend. I am in the beautiful wild mountains of Southern Appalachia, in Asheville and you are welcome any time !

Thanks for being you John.
Hi snare,

You know I'll be by to visit next time I'm in Ashville. Sherpa owners have to stick together. And yes, uncertainty is my middle name. Which is why I don't really know when I'll be by. Probably next year though. The last time I was in the Smokies in October with the beautiful fall foliage and winding roads, I said to myself:
"You've got to get back here more often."

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa
Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #2722
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:

Best,
Your pal John
I think there are many exceptions. I continually witness people searching for the balance between the comfort of wealth and possessions vs. the freedom and mobility of the hobo.

When at either extreme, some of the other starts to look good. Third corollary to the "greener grass syndrome" theorem.

Yes, there is a balance point for everyone, at any specific point in time. However, a lot of time seems to be spent seeking equilibrium, as with a perturbed non-damped spring.

FWIW

Blessings, OnO
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #2723
Dracula
Deus ex machina

balance

Interesting concept.. in theory. In human terms, to my mind too, it is somewhat a moving target just as you say OnAndOff. I have seen many people that seem rather resigned to their way of life than content or balanced. Not that they may not have aspirations, but just that they won't or can't get out of their comfort zone to pursue them and either postpone or never do it. And so these remain just dreams. For some would be too much of a sacrifice and understandable not possible. So they choose next best compromise. Worse, none at all. If it comes down to just finances, it is possible to work out a plan. But it will not be perfect or forever lasting to throw it all out and travel the world although I considered it. It's just a matter how many years of life I can buy as such. From my readings, I learned of few travelers that have managed to stay on the road for several years. Each had their own circumstances and none were same as others. After several years on the road, I reckon most would go on forever if funds were no issue. In fact it may be a whole new life which can completely change a person depending what or whom they encounter so talking about it in advance trying to see what to expect defeats the purpose of adventure. The way John has thought this out seems a balanced way, come to think of it would be for me too time wise. Travel part of the year then find a way to recharge. And this is where it becomes the point where one has to decide to accept uncertainty and reap the rewards of freedom however long it lasts.

Cheers,
Vic
Old 07-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #2724
Pete_Tallahassee
Out Standing Member

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
Interesting concept.. in theory. In human terms, to my mind too, it is somewhat a moving target just as you say OnAndOff. I have seen many people that seem rather resigned to their way of life than content or balanced. Not that they may not have aspirations, but just that they won't or can't get out of their comfort zone to pursue them and either postpone or never do it. And so these remain just dreams. For some would be too much of a sacrifice and understandable not possible. So they choose next best compromise. Worse, none at all. If it comes down to just finances, it is possible to work out a plan. But it will not be perfect or forever lasting to throw it all out and travel the world although I considered it. It's just a matter how many years of life I can buy as such. From my readings, I learned of few travelers that have managed to stay on the road for several years. Each had their own circumstances and none were same as others. After several years on the road, I reckon most would go on forever if funds were no issue. In fact it may be a whole new life which can completely change a person depending what or whom they encounter so talking about it in advance trying to see what to expect defeats the purpose of adventure. The way John has thought this out seems a balanced way, come to think of it would be for me too time wise. Travel part of the year then find a way to recharge. And this is where it becomes the point where one has to decide to accept uncertainty and reap the rewards of freedom however long it lasts.

Cheers,
Vic

Pete_Tallahassee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #2725
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Hey JD, really into your ride report, your take things is very interesting to say the least. I was wondering about all these folks thru Central America that are apparently not from the areas they are living in. It seems that some head out to the beach and just stay. Some have carved out little businesses and left life in the 1st world behind. Is this perception of mine actual reality or am I missing something? What happens when you travel through these little countries at the borders? Do they ask you how long you plan to stay or does anyone care? Just wondering as I haven't seen anyone ask about this angle? Thanks for any input and travel safely!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #2726
Burro driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracula View Post
interesting concept.. In theory. In human terms, to my mind too, it is somewhat a moving target just as you say onandoff. I have seen many people that seem rather resigned to their way of life than content or balanced. Not that they may not have aspirations, but just that they won't or can't get out of their comfort zone to pursue them and either postpone or never do it. And so these remain just dreams. For some would be too much of a sacrifice and understandable not possible. So they choose next best compromise. Worse, none at all. If it comes down to just finances, it is possible to work out a plan. But it will not be perfect or forever lasting to throw it all out and travel the world although i considered it. It's just a matter how many years of life i can buy as such. From my readings, i learned of few travelers that have managed to stay on the road for several years. Each had their own circumstances and none were same as others. After several years on the road, i reckon most would go on forever if funds were no issue. In fact it may be a whole new life which can completely change a person depending what or whom they encounter so talking about it in advance trying to see what to expect defeats the purpose of adventure. The way john has thought this out seems a balanced way, come to think of it would be for me too time wise. Travel part of the year then find a way to recharge. And this is where it becomes the point where one has to decide to accept uncertainty and reap the rewards of freedom however long it lasts.

Cheers,
vic
+1
Burro driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #2727
snare
sittin and breathin

Oddometer: 252
I appreciate what you are saying Vic.
These words have also resonated with me :

“…relax gradually and wholeheartedly into the ordinary and obvious truth of change. [When we do this] we begin to understand that we’re not the only one who can’t keep it all together. We no longer believe that there are people who have managed to avoid uncertainty.”
–Pema Chodron

snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #2728
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
In reading between the lines I felt almost sure John must have meant more with above... threw a money wrench in the mix as it hit a hot spot am sure for many. It worked and I think he is slowly converting his readers into minimalists of some sort or another..with or without Sherpa's. Everything is relative, one man's minimalism may be another's luxury or vice versa, but if one starts to move towards that goal the mission is half accomplished and that sweet spot of balance between work and play may be in sight me thinks.

Best,
Vic
Old 07-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #2729
Wotnext
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
BIG thankyou JDowns

Hello John,

I know that its a little strange calling you by your first name. After all I have never even met you but I feel as if we are long time companions. Odd how this forum can develop something like that. I have followed you from the start of your trip and have been enchanted, informed and inspired. For me, "your job is done". On the 30th March 2014 I fly into the USA for a 2 year "Americas" trip on a minamalist budget. Trying to keep things at about $1200 per month. Seems that after motorcycle related costs big ticket items are accomodation, booze (not in your case), then food, with big ticket items like crossing the Darien Gap thrown into the mix. I have been surprised on more than one occassion at the generosity and willingness of the ADV community in suporting riders. I plan to stealth camp, carry cooking stuff and also try to keep a daily account on ADV Rider to help guide my ride to those special places that make for memories.

May you ride safely and far and just maybe I might get to meet you in person, somewhere "down the road".
Wotnext is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #2730
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotnext View Post
Hello John,

I know that its a little strange calling you by your first name. After all I have never even met you but I feel as if we are long time companions. Odd how this forum can develop something like that. I have followed you from the start of your trip and have been enchanted, informed and inspired. For me, "your job is done". On the 30th March 2014 I fly into the USA for a 2 year "Americas" trip on a minamalist budget. Trying to keep things at about $1200 per month. Seems that after motorcycle related costs big ticket items are accomodation, booze (not in your case), then food, with big ticket items like crossing the Darien Gap thrown into the mix. I have been surprised on more than one occassion at the generosity and willingness of the ADV community in suporting riders. I plan to stealth camp, carry cooking stuff and also try to keep a daily account on ADV Rider to help guide my ride to those special places that make for memories.

May you ride safely and far and just maybe I might get to meet you in person, somewhere "down the road".
Hi Wotnext,

Congratulations! It really is just a matter of setting a date, saving as much money as possible, packing up your bike and twisting your right wrist. You have taken the first step.

It is helpful if you don't have family trying to talk you out of travel. Also the less material possessions that need looking after while you are gone the easier it is to travel.

Simplifying my life was what has allowed me to be gone for long periods of time. This isn't possible for everyone.

Forty dollars a day is a minimalist budget. It is possible to camp every night in the U.S. if you contact people on the tentspace list and use sites like freecampsites.net. That will save you a ton. Late March is still quite cold in the Northern tier states and Canada, so you may want to start out in the Southern states.

Should be a fun trip. I look forward to reading your ride report. Hope to see you down the road.

Kindest regards,
John