Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 11:22 PM   #2746
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi veriest1,

I just bought some aluminum diamond plate at Home Depot, cut it to size, bent it in a vice and bolted it to the weeny stock rear rack. Put some tie downs on it. It gives a little more flat space rearward to throw saddlebags over and strap down a duffle.

It's my other minimalist 250. It is great for cruising the logging roads and Oregon camping.

Saludos,
Juan Minimalista
John, never ceases to amaze me the ideas you come up with. That is pretty cool, and way cheaper than something you could buy on the net. Hope you get your moto running, head out on the highway, looking for adventure........wait a minute, wasn't that song?
Doug
RACINGTHESUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #2747
Haven't Ben There
searcher

Oddometer: 25
Hello John,
Glad to see things are still going good. I am hoping I can meet you next year if you come to NC. I would count it a privilege to be able to buy you a meal and hear some of your adventures first hand. And I know some a good place to get pizza lol.
I was wondering if you could compare the Sherpa and the xr250l for those of us new to this and give any recomentations on which one works better for you and why?
I still enjoy reading this thread and seeing the updates.
Good luck getting the xr back on the road.
Enjoy and Ride Safe.
Haven't Ben There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #2748
yokesman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Second that, planning to bribe the sons into starting to ride with us by buying a 250 . a sherpa, maybe a xt225,xr250 but here in cal i donot know what can be plated besides the first two.
yokesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #2749
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haven't Ben There View Post
Hello John,
Glad to see things are still going good. I am hoping I can meet you next year if you come to NC. I would count it a privilege to be able to buy you a meal and hear some of your adventures first hand. And I know some a good place to get pizza lol.
I was wondering if you could compare the Sherpa and the xr250l for those of us new to this and give any recomentations on which one works better for you and why?
I still enjoy reading this thread and seeing the updates.
Good luck getting the xr back on the road.
Enjoy and Ride Safe.
Hi Haven't Ben There,

The XR has better stock suspension and is a bullet proof motor like the Sherpa. It's old tech, so easy to work on. Screw valve adjusters, air cooled with no radiator.

The things that the Sherpa have over it are electric start, six speeds instead of five which makes a huge difference on a little bike, stainless exhaust, lower seat height so you don't have to kick your leg up to Mars to get over your luggage when getting on the bike, smoother motor and slightly higher top speed with stock gearing.

Both bikes are good. I like to stop and take pictures and dawdle a lot so electric start and lower seat height make the Sherpa easier to travel on I suppose.

But hey, we're talking about 250 dirt bikes. They only cruise at 55 or 60 without wringing their necks. They don't carry much so you have to travel light. Anyone who rides one to South America is a little different I've been told.

Your ADVpal,
John
Old 07-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #2750
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Hi Haven't Ben There,

The XR has better stock suspension and is a bullet proof motor like the Sherpa. It's old tech, so easy to work on. Screw valve adjusters, air cooled with no radiator.

The things that the Sherpa have over it are electric start, six speeds instead of five which makes a huge difference on a little bike, stainless exhaust, lower seat height so you don't have to kick your leg up to Mars to get over your luggage when getting on the bike, smoother motor and slightly higher top speed with stock gearing.

Both bikes are good. I like to stop and take pictures and dawdle a lot so electric start and lower seat height make the Sherpa easier to travel on I suppose.

But hey, we're talking about 250 dirt bikes. They only cruise at 55 or 60 without wringing their necks. They don't carry much so you have to travel light. Anyone who rides one to South America is a little different I've been told.

Your ADVpal,
John
Yea, you 250 guys are just a step up from Push Bike riders!

I could have sworn those 90's generation XR250L's had elec. start? I know my XR650L did. Some friends have done some BIG MILES on those little 250's. But I think you're correct that the Sherpa may be the better RTW bike. Couple issues with the XR-L series:

1. They run HOT. If I owned that 250, I'd install an oil cooler like on the XR400. (another great Honda!)
2. The rear sub frames are suspect, big loads will bend, break or crack them over time and rough ground.
3. very sensitive to low oil level. Must be kept FULL.

To me, those are the negatives. I'd imagine the Honda is the better trail bike, but the Sherpa probably the better travel bike. Enjoy your Summer on the West Coast!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #2751
Haven't Ben There
searcher

Oddometer: 25
Thanks for the info guys. I have looked at a couple newer bikes and the seat looks like a 2x4 and sits about the same
It looks like a little older bike will be more comfortable and a lot cheaper lol thanks again
Haven't Ben There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #2752
woc4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
following in the steps

Dear John and it is not a joke, I have been following your trip since the beginning and having nothing to say I kept in silence like a good boy enjoying your adventure and feeling anxious about your crossing of the Gap and the lack of news, being 71 years old and feeling the challenge of doing something crazy or different from what normal people does I decided I was going to follow in your steps (not all of them) and do the thing with a bike everybody told me it was not what any regular biker would use for this trip. So I bought myself a Honda Silverwing in october last year and began the planning, making a long story short after thinking a lot about it I ride from Birmingham,AL to Miami and shipped the bike to Cartagena where I am now enjoy visiting places like the Totumo mud volcano and Barranquilla, Santa Marta and Taganga will follow and after that Bucaramanga, Bogota, Cali, and Medellin, as I have 180 days visa I sure hope we could probably meet at some point in the future. I am doing this alone and with the minimum luggage following the minimalist rule. Only two saddle bags and a bag with the tent, mattress and sleeping bag. I do not have any time restraint and was thinking about arriving to Medellin in a couple of months. Sorry for the long speech and Have enjoyed your postings, you were right when you said this is motor-cycler paradise never anyone can believe the way they drive around here and I am enjoying it thaks to you.
I will try to post a picture of Linda (the bike) and me and see if it would be a good idea to began a new thread doing the same than Hektoglider and you did. Greetings from Cartagena de Indias .... Armando
woc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #2753
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by woc4 View Post
Dear John and it is not a joke, I have been following your trip since the beginning and having nothing to say I kept in silence like a good boy enjoying your adventure and feeling anxious about your crossing of the Gap and the lack of news, being 71 years old and feeling the challenge of doing something crazy or different from what normal people does I decided I was going to follow in your steps (not all of them) and do the thing with a bike everybody told me it was not what any regular biker would use for this trip. So I bought myself a Honda Silverwing in october last year and began the planning, making a long story short after thinking a lot about it I ride from Birmingham,AL to Miami and shipped the bike to Cartagena where I am now enjoy visiting places like the Totumo mud volcano and Barranquilla, Santa Marta and Taganga will follow and after that Bucaramanga, Bogota, Cali, and Medellin, as I have 180 days visa I sure hope we could probably meet at some point in the future. I am doing this alone and with the minimum luggage following the minimalist rule. Only two saddle bags and a bag with the tent, mattress and sleeping bag. I do not have any time restraint and was thinking about arriving to Medellin in a couple of months. Sorry for the long speech and Have enjoyed your postings, you were right when you said this is motor-cycler paradise never anyone can believe the way they drive around here and I am enjoying it thaks to you.
I will try to post a picture of Linda (the bike) and me and see if it would be a good idea to began a new thread doing the same than Hektoglider and you did. Greetings from Cartagena de Indias .... Armando
woc4, good on you for getting up and doing something.. which is hardly something to say for many 71 years old. I have a buddy who was 70 (and he is deaf) he rode from Mocksville, NC to Sturgis, SD on a Honda Shadow and back home. Considering his age and first long distance trip, I applaud him for doing that and now you top that! I applaud you for doing that for a guy in his 70's.

(Sorry to hijack the thread)
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #2754
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Hi Armando,

Good for you! I will make a point of meeting up with you when I get back down to Colombia. You sound like my kind of guy.

Go ahead and start a ride report. Or feel free to post a pic of your bike in Colombia right here if a ride report sounds like too much work.

So glad to hear from you amigo.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #2755
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Minor Hi-Jack ... lo siento Juan Pedro de Los Motoqueros

Quote:
So I bought myself a Honda Silverwing in october last year and began the planning, making a long story short after thinking a lot about it I ride from Birmingham,AL to Miami and shipped the bike to Cartagena where I am now enjoy visiting places like the Totumo mud volcano and Barranquilla,

Armando
!Que bueno Armando! Can you provide any details on SHIPPING a bike from Miami to Colombia? Cost? hassle? Company you used?
Recommend? Boat or Plane? Any other tips?

Seems very few have done this ... and I'm not sure why. Seems logical and easy. For me, I've already traveled and lived in Cent. America, so want to get straight into S. America.

Have you heard of Simon Gandolfi ? He is a dour old Brit who I met at a rally years ago. What a character! He has a book or two out and did S. America a few years back on a small Honda he bought in Brazil. Check him out!

http://www.simongandolfi.com/
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #2756
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Another week, another part of the country. This month I'm working in Oregon. Still earning bux for further South American adventures. Pulled my poor XR250 out of storage. 6 years of dust:

It's been sitting since I left Oregon in 2007. I'm almost back on a 250. Just a carb clean and new battery away from being back on two wheels. Can't wait. Gotta get back to servicing the bike.

Best,
Juan Exayeray Doscinquenta
I have one of these, Juan! A '91 with the stock tank and recovered seat but otherwise looks quite similar. Runs well for a minimalist machine!

Hope you're purring around on yours now.

Hey, I've been renovating to help with riding expenses, too! Usually fairly nearby, but a friend flew me to Austin, TX for my know-how to help set him straight. He bought a foreclosure to fix and live in. It was so neglected that I insisted on pressure washing the INSIDE of the house! Long story short, we ended up replacing almost everything and adding lots of extras.

As was:

Getting closer...

Mucho Trabajo!
Cuidese, Abuelito (casi) Jorge
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #2757
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 582
Yall keep this up ya'll will get a new sub forum here." Minimalist touring carpenter forum"
Or have hammer will travel
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:28 PM   #2758
woc4
Adventurer

cost from miami-cartagena

hey Adv grifter after consideration and asking for three quotes finally decided for one made by URM Cargo painless as it can came. very nice people and they provided a contact person here in Cartagena, really i recommend these people. the cost involved all the shipping and fees paid in cash no checks no ccards total paid in miami was 1074 us I add a closed huacal (its a wood box where I sent also the saddle bags and a big duffle bag) the cost of the box was 650 us but if I wanted to avoid that cost the bike would be sent in a pallet and well restrained as I saw other guy doing it. At this side I paid 220 us to the shipping company another 200 us in custom fees. The people on this side took me around all the customs inspections (they know the inspectors and hurry up the process) and were by my side at all times, very knowledgable and the 200 us cover for their fees. I left the bike on wednesday july 3 US customs inspected on the 8 it sailed on the 12 and arrived here the 16 and it took 3 days to get it out of the port, but all in all it was a painless process and the person here was very nice. The bike come inside a container by ship and this company make the run every friday leaving Miami and arrive at cartagena in 5 sailing days. Taking in consideration the cost of the ride from birmingham (were I left) across CAmerica and after that 900 to 1000 dollars shipping from panama to cartagena I believe it was a fair cost shippingthe way I did it. One thing over that is the air ticket from Miami to Cartagena that was 154 us and the inconvenience at the airport because you have to explain that you are shipping your bike and you are going to get out of Colombia by land, so its a good thing to take with you the copy of the shipping papers if not they are going to ask you to have a return ticket. So making it short I paid around 1500 us total and could have done it without the box that was an extra cost of 680 us, that was almost the same amount I should have had to pay in panama to cross the Darien Gap. Hope I have covered all your questions if you want to know something else just ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
!Que bueno Armando! Can you provide any details on SHIPPING a bike from Miami to Colombia? Cost? hassle? Company you used?
Recommend? Boat or Plane? Any other tips?

Seems very few have done this ... and I'm not sure why. Seems logical and easy. For me, I've already traveled and lived in Cent. America, so want to get straight into S. America.

Have you heard of Simon Gandolfi ? He is a dour old Brit who I met at a rally years ago. What a character! He has a book or two out and did S. America a few years back on a small Honda he bought in Brazil. Check him out!

http://www.simongandolfi.com/
Old 07-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #2759
woc4
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Yall keep this up ya'll will get a new sub forum here." Minimalist touring carpenter forum"
Or have hammer will travel
I resent the comment I am Electrician and it could be called The minimalist touring trades forum.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #2760
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
hey Adv grifter after consideration and asking for three quotes finally decided for one made by URM Cargo painless as it can came. very nice people and they provided a contact person here in Cartagena, really i recommend these people. the cost involved all the shipping and fees paid in cash no checks no ccards total paid in miami was 1074 us I add a closed huacal (its a wood box where I sent also the saddle bags and a big duffle bag) the cost of the box was 650 us but if I wanted to avoid that cost the bike would be sent in a pallet and well restrained as I saw other guy doing it. At this side I paid 220 us to the shipping company another 200 us in custom fees. The people on this side took me around all the customs inspections (they know the inspectors and hurry up the process) and were by my side at all times, very knowledgable and the 200 us cover for their fees. I left the bike on wednesday july 3 US customs inspected on the 8 it sailed on the 12 and arrived here the 16 and it took 3 days to get it out of the port, but all in all it was a painless process and the person here was very nice. The bike come inside a container by ship and this company make the run every friday leaving Miami and arrive at cartagena in 5 sailing days. Taking in consideration the cost of the ride from birmingham (were I left) across CAmerica and after that 900 to 1000 dollars shipping from panama to cartagena I believe it was a fair cost shippingthe way I did it. One thing over that is the air ticket from Miami to Cartagena that was 154 us and the inconvenience at the airport because you have to explain that you are shipping your bike and you are going to get out of Colombia by land, so its a good thing to take with you the copy of the shipping papers if not they are going to ask you to have a return ticket. So making it short I paid around 1500 us total and could have done it without the box that was an extra cost of 680 us, that was almost the same amount I should have had to pay in panama to cross the Darien Gap. Hope I have covered all your questions if you want to know something else just ask.
Hi woc4,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Really useful information. Muchas gracias amigo.

See you in South America.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Pedro de los Motoqueros