Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #2761
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi woc4,

Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Really useful information. Muchas gracias amigo.

See you in South America.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Pedro de los Motoqueros
Ditto! Thanks so much for the detailed account there woc4!

Sorry for the hi-Jack John, back to you ... over.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:36 AM   #2762
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Not much to report while I'm working to get back to South America. At least I got the XR running and have two wheeled transportation:

Did go to the coast yesterday with my nephew and brother-in-law to go crabbing:

The Pacific Northwest is beautiful this time of year. Clear skies and 70 degrees is as good as it gets for crabbing on the coast.

Here's what dungeness crabs look like right before they go in the boiling water:

Nebraska has good beef and sweet corn, but fresh seafood? Not so much.

Saludos,
Juan Pescadero
Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 AM   #2763
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Where in Oregon are you? I have a friend in Reedsport who you ought to hang out with, he'd get a kick out of you.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:10 AM   #2764
docjsh
Seoul Rider

Oddometer: 50
Two weeks of reading to catch up

Hey John,

I just wanted to write to express how much I enjoyed your ride report, and to say how much I am looking forward to your continued adventures in the fall. While I came late to the party (you were already home and working by the time I started reading), you excellent writing made me feel as if I were following along in real time.

Like many on this site, I take my adventures when and how I can. In the past 11 years living in Asia, I've gotten to see and do many amazing things, (although not as many by motorcycle as I would like) but my dream of riding off on an adventure for months on end are going to have to wait a few years, because I have this one waiting for me at home now.

I will be your current age when she graduates from high school, so all I have to do is make sure I stay in as good of shape as you do, and I'll have plenty of years of adventure in my future. Then again, maybe I can get the little one interested in bikes too. What could be better than having a few adventures together?

Thanks again for the stories and inspiration.

Joel in Seoul

P.S.-If you find your self in the Land of the Morning Calm, let me know. Always a place for an interesting story teller.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #2765
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjsh View Post
Hey John,

I just wanted to write to express how much I enjoyed your ride report, and to say how much I am looking forward to your continued adventures in the fall. While I came late to the party (you were already home and working by the time I started reading), you excellent writing made me feel as if I were following along in real time.

Like many on this site, I take my adventures when and how I can. In the past 11 years living in Asia, I've gotten to see and do many amazing things, (although not as many by motorcycle as I would like) but my dream of riding off on an adventure for months on end are going to have to wait a few years, because I have this one waiting for me at home now.

I will be your current age when she graduates from high school, so all I have to do is make sure I stay in as good of shape as you do, and I'll have plenty of years of adventure in my future. Then again, maybe I can get the little one interested in bikes too. What could be better than having a few adventures together?

Thanks again for the stories and inspiration.

Joel in Seoul

P.S.-If you find your self in the Land of the Morning Calm, let me know. Always a place for an interesting story teller.
Hi Joel,

Glad to have you along for the ride 친구. Korea isn't far from Vladivostok, so you never know. I might be passing through when I get done with South America.

Cute bambino you've got there. There's more to life than riding (they tell me).

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 07-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #2766
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Where in Oregon are you? I have a friend in Reedsport who you ought to hang out with, he'd get a kick out of you.
Hi Clem Kevin,

I'm up in Northern Oregon in West Linn near Portland at the moment. Quite a ways from Reedsport which is down on the south central coast. Any riding I'll be doing in my spare time will likely be the other direction up into the Cascade Mountains which are stunning this time of year. I'll post some pics later to show what the logging roads look like out in the boonies in Oregon.

In the meantime I better get back to work.

Best,
Juan Viajero
Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 PM   #2767
Scootard
Scraggle McSquarely

Oddometer: 240
Juanito Todos Americas

Hey John:
Almost nothing better than fresh crab you pulled yourself.
If you find yourself with a day off West Linn to Boring, Estacada, Detroit Lake, Salem and back to West Linn via 224/22/99 looks like a nice date with a dual-sport. 184mi. total.........hmmmmmmm food for thought.

Ride on Juan Narrador Fascinante
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #2768
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 887
Quote:
Hi Clem Kevin,

I'm up in Northern Oregon in West Linn near Portland at the moment. Quite a ways from Reedsport which is down on the south central coast. Any riding I'll be doing in my spare time will likely be the other direction up into the Cascade Mountains which are stunning this time of year. I'll post some pics later to show what the logging roads look like out in the boonies in Oregon.

In the meantime I better get back to work.

Best,
Juan Viajero
Take the back roads up to the eastern lookout of Mt. St. Helens. It's one of the best rides ever.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #2769
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
John

Picked up a 250 today, so we can go riding now!
Old 08-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #2770
tomski74
Silesian American

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Not much to report while I'm working to get back to South America. At least I got the XR running and have two wheeled transportation:

Look at that new helmet and new boots

Just came back from Throttlemeister's oasis. We were wondering how you were doing. Looks like you are doing good
Old 08-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #2771
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 688
Hey John, my dad celebrated one more birthday on his seventh decade and he went for a ride, albeit a different one than most would expect on this forum

He said you would remember the launching spot.

Looking forward to your reports

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Old 08-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #2772
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomski74 View Post
Look at that new helmet and new boots

Just came back from Throttlemeister's oasis. We were wondering how you were doing. Looks like you are doing good
Hej Tomski,

Say hi to all my ADVpals in Tulsa. Especially Throttlemeister. I had to leave his bro's house and get back to Nebraska to mow my lawn and wasn't able to head over to Pryor to thank him for all his help. The boots you pointed me to in Tulsa work pretty good. Not much protection, but hey what do you expect for 79 bucks. And no zippers is a plus. Velcro doesn't break.

And how about that helmet that Okietrailrider sold me so reasonably:

The red, white and black match the XR250L, so if I wasn't riding a girls bike I'd look like a total stud. And with flaming skulls I look like a moto Deadhead.

What am I talking about? I am a Deadhead. Truckin', like the do-dah man is my life. Well, okay, bikein' like the do-dah man. Who doesn't like the Grateful Dead? With lyrics like: "lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it's been."

It's my new theme song.

See you in a couple months when I pass through Tulsa on my way to catch the plane to South America.

Trzymaj się ciepło,
Oregon John

JDowns screwed with this post 08-05-2013 at 10:41 AM
Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 AM   #2773
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Hey John, my dad celebrated one more birthday on his seventh decade and he went for a ride, albeit a different one than most would expect on this forum

He said you would remember the launching spot.

Looking forward to your reports
Hola amigo,

I remember that hang gliding spot overlooking Medellin that your Dad took me to:

Can't wait to get back and visit Orlando. I hope I'm as buff as he is when I'm 70 in another decade.

Not much to report this week. Jack hammered the ugly peach colored rustic brick off my sister's house with the help of her husband Skip and am putting on some dryfit ledgestone:

and riding around the XR in the evenings to work the seafoam through the carb.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 08-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #2774
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGTHESUN View Post
Picked up a 250 today, so we can go riding now!
Hi RACINGTHESUN,

I've been working lately and haven't been paying attention to this ride report much. Sorry. Nothing like picking up a new-to-you 250. I'm having a blast riding around on the one I brought back from the dead.

And if anyone is reading this in the Portland Oregon area, could you point me to a bike shop that carries Motionpro products. I need to adjust my valves with their cool offset .03/.04 thou feeler gauges for the XR. I also need their rippin' tire irons with the XR 24mm hexhead end for the rear axle nut. And their trail tool kit.

Anybody?

I tried ordering it online but they will only ship to the address on my credit card. I don't need it in Nebraska.

Muchas gracias amigos.
Juanito Honda
Old 08-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #2775
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
Take the back roads up to the eastern lookout of Mt. St. Helens. It's one of the best rides ever.
Hi Clem Kevin,

I've been there. It is awesome, but it's a bit far. I have to focus on work right now so I can get this ride report cookin' in two months when I get back down to Colombia.

Saludos,
Juan Trabajador
Closed Thread