User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #2776
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,211
You can ship it to me John, but it might get used on WR the rest of the summer and you may never see it again. Seriously though, if I was in the lower 48 I would be happy to help you out, but seems kind of counterproductive to ship it up and back from Alaska.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #2777
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootard View Post
Hey John:
Almost nothing better than fresh crab you pulled yourself.
If you find yourself with a day off West Linn to Boring, Estacada, Detroit Lake, Salem and back to West Linn via 224/22/99 looks like a nice date with a dual-sport. 184mi. total.........hmmmmmmm food for thought.

Ride on Juan Narrador Fascinante
Hi Scootard,

That is a wonderful ride. Down by Breitenbush to Detroit Lake. And then up the logging roads to catch Quattz Creek Rd down to Lookout Reservoir near Sweethome is even better. I'm on it. Pics to follow when I get there. As soon as I get some spare parts and tubes so I don't get stranded. There's nobody up on those roads so you're on your own. Which is the way I like it.

The Cascades in July, August and September are as good as it gets.

Best,
XR Johnny
Old 08-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #2778
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
You can ship it to me John, but it might get used on WR the rest of the summer and you may never see it again. Seriously though, if I was in the lower 48 I would be happy to help you out, but seems kind of counterproductive to ship it up and back from Alaska.
Hey Vinnie,

Dayum! I can see you on your Nanook of the North WR. What a sweet ride!

You are my greatest supporter, and I am indebted to you for life.

Need your house buffed out? It's on me. I can't get to it this summer since I am booked up, but next summer for sure. If you need anything done I am so riding to Alaska to fix what ails you.

Su hermano de otra madre,
Juan Alaska
Old 08-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #2779
woc4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Making memories

Hey Juanito Bricklayer this is Armando Sparky. Guess what I'm doing at this precise moment ? Looking through the window of the Techos Azules at the bay in Taganga, where I arrived today. On the road over here a bus overpassing another one put me outside the road and with a big black mark in my left leg. Luckily nothing to worry. You better hurry up because the past week it was the beginning of the baja temporada (low season) so they came back to normal fares. One more thing before going to bed (I left Cartagena at 1000 and arrived here at 1600. if anyone have an accident at the road between Cartagena and Santa Marta or Cartagena and Medellin the company that manages the road have a Free service to pick you up provide paramedic assistance, and protect your bike in a safe place until you may recover it all without charges. If you add this to the free pass at the tolls I believe its bikers paradise. The other thing Ifound is that at the toll booths they sell a very comprehensive route map book for only 15.000 COL, around 8 dollars. I have to read the instructions on how to download pictures for every one to enjoy. Here for 2 more days, later Cartagena again pick up the things there and ride to turbo / Medellin / Bogota where I have a cousin I hope is going to check on me for a couple of days. My visa expires first week jan 2014 and I am being tempted as I feel an undertow trrying to catch remake me stay more time each time I think about it. Probably rebounding from divorce. This is Sparky over and out.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #2780
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woc4 View Post
Hey Juanito Bricklayer this is Armando Sparky. Guess what I'm doing at this precise moment ? Looking through the window of the Techos Azules at the bay in Taganga, where I arrived today. On the road over here a bus overpassing another one put me outside the road and with a big black mark in my left leg. Luckily nothing to worry. You better hurry up because the past week it was the beginning of the baja temporada (low season) so they came back to normal fares. One more thing before going to bed (I left Cartagena at 1000 and arrived here at 1600. if anyone have an accident at the road between Cartagena and Santa Marta or Cartagena and Medellin the company that manages the road have a Free service to pick you up provide paramedic assistance, and protect your bike in a safe place until you may recover it all without charges. If you add this to the free pass at the tolls I believe its bikers paradise. The other thing Ifound is that at the toll booths they sell a very comprehensive route map book for only 15.000 COL, around 8 dollars. I have to read the instructions on how to download pictures for every one to enjoy. Here for 2 more days, later Cartagena again pick up the things there and ride to turbo / Medellin / Bogota where I have a cousin I hope is going to check on me for a couple of days. My visa expires first week jan 2014 and I am being tempted as I feel an undertow trrying to catch remake me stay more time each time I think about it. Probably rebounding from divorce. This is Sparky over and out.
Hi Señor Armando Sparky,

You're killin' me amigo. Techos Azules is so fine. Wow! Brings back fond memories. Some fine lookin' women. If only I wasn't old enough to be their grandfather.

I have a problem with dirty old men. I'm trying to get over it.

Black mark on your leg is nothing. Believe me, I have several. Anyone who says motorcycling in Latin America is not dangerous is LYING or delusional.

I will be back in Colombia in two months time and will hunt you down like a wild animal. Not to worry.

I can't wait to meet you amigo. And the Mercosur insurance covers you for medical, provides paramedic assistance, and protects you and puts your bike in a safe place until you may recover it, all without charges.

Colombian insurance is a good thing.

Just sayin'

See you in dos meses amigo,

Saludos,
Juan Taganga

JDowns screwed with this post 08-06-2013 at 02:22 PM
Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #2781
woc4
Adventurer

Help I need somebody's help

what a pair we may be I was drooling at the beach and I do not know if it was the ibuprofen 800 taken at 4 hour interval or four belgian and two franc and a londoner laying in the beach. I got an Idea we have to began a construction company over here. There are a lot of young men that may want to worl while we chase the golden gooses. On second thoughts I've been running away from police (via al mar) because I was going 110 mph and they wanted to chase with a 125 cc. Luckily there are a lot of small villages to hide here. I'll try to time my arrival at Medellin around two months from here. Having a lot of fun with the /silverwing on the small unpaved roads here a lot of skidding but for now everything OK. Sorry for hijacking your posting.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #2782
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woc4 View Post
what a pair we may be I was drooling at the beach and I do not know if it was the ibuprofen 800 taken at 4 hour interval or four belgian and two franc and a londoner laying in the beach. I got an Idea we have to began a construction company over here. There are a lot of young men that may want to worl while we chase the golden gooses. On second thoughts I've been running away from police (via al mar) because I was going 110 mph and they wanted to chase with a 125 cc. Luckily there are a lot of small villages to hide here. I'll try to time my arrival at Medellin around two months from here. Having a lot of fun with the /silverwing on the small unpaved roads here a lot of skidding but for now everything OK. Sorry for hijacking your posting.
Hijack away woc4. You hooligan. Sounds like you're having fun. That's what it's all about.

Saludos,
Juan Taganga
Old 08-06-2013, 11:06 PM   #2783
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Got a PM from Ed Zactamundo last night and went over for a visit this evening over across the river.

For those who haven't been following this ride report this is where I last saw our hero in the hospital down in El Salvador after a truck hit him and smashed his leg. Here he is signing my gas tank that I yarded up to the second floor to his hospital room:

And here he is today:

It was great to see Justin. He's still on crutches and has had several surgeries to repair the damage to his pelvis and knee. But dayum, he's one tough mofo.

It was really good to see him. I got to hang out in the garage while his roomates were working on their bikes.

The best evening I've had in Portland yet. He also pointed me to Doc Brown's moto shop where I ordered some tire irons and a trail tool kit. It's a great place with an old school dude who runs the place. Stacks of parts piled all over the place. My kind of shop.

Anyway, just a quick update to let you know that Justin is doing well and looks great. I always like to know the rest of the story, and thought you might too.

Saludos,
Oregon John
Old 08-07-2013, 06:56 AM   #2784
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
Thanks for the update John, nice to see Justin is getting along better these days!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:39 AM   #2785
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Thanks for thae update John. I too have wondered about Justin, it looks like a long road to recovery. Good luck Justin and be well soon.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 PM   #2786
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Man!

That dude is tough. Glad to see him up and about, and hopefully back on the dusty trail before too long
Old 08-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #2787
woc4
Adventurer

Good

it's good to see him up and jumping let's bet how long it's going to take him to jump in a bike and begin riding. open for bets
Old 08-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #2788
JMBrad
n00b

Oddometer: 9
John,

I've spent the last several weeks reading this report. Too bad I didn't find it sooner. I'm new to the MC scene. I rode some mini bikes and dirt bikes in my youth, but had never owned a street legal bike. Two years ago, at the tender age of 43, I bought my 1st street legal bike. It's a cruiser, 03 Suzuki Volusia, but at least I'm in the wind. Call me middle aged crazy!

I've loved every minute of this ride report. It is, in a word, "Epic"! Looking forward to part 2.

I've been researching these small dual sports to death, and love the idea of this minimalist travel. From the research I've done, I believe your choice of a bike for this sort of travel is ideal. Electric start, air cooled, light weight, 6 gears, etc. My wife's a school teacher and school starts back up in 2 weeks. That takes some of the pressure off paying the bills on my own, so let the bike shopping begin! I see a small dual sport in my future!

Thanks so much for taking the time to update this ride report daily, even though I was reading it 6 months later. Even though what I was reading was in the past, I felt as though I was right there with you. I'm stoked and anxiously awaiting part 2.

Viva de Sherpa!!!!

Jody (aka ADV wannabe)
Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #2789
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBrad View Post
John,

I've spent the last several weeks reading this report. Too bad I didn't find it sooner. I'm new to the MC scene. I rode some mini bikes and dirt bikes in my youth, but had never owned a street legal bike. Two years ago, at the tender age of 43, I bought my 1st street legal bike. It's a cruiser, 03 Suzuki Volusia, but at least I'm in the wind. Call me middle aged crazy!

I've loved every minute of this ride report. It is, in a word, "Epic"! Looking forward to part 2.

I've been researching these small dual sports to death, and love the idea of this minimalist travel. From the research I've done, I believe your choice of a bike for this sort of travel is ideal. Electric start, air cooled, light weight, 6 gears, etc. My wife's a school teacher and school starts back up in 2 weeks. That takes some of the pressure off paying the bills on my own, so let the bike shopping begin! I see a small dual sport in my future!

Thanks so much for taking the time to update this ride report daily, even though I was reading it 6 months later. Even though what I was reading was in the past, I felt as though I was right there with you. I'm stoked and anxiously awaiting part 2.

Viva de Sherpa!!!!

Jody (aka ADV wannabe)
Hi Jody,

Glad you are enjoying the report. Nice to have you along for the ride. I should be in North Carolina next summer after I run out of money in South America and come back to do more ADVremodeling. I'll check in with you to see how your dualsport dreams are coming along. Although I wouldn't be opposed to a dayride some weekend on the backroads of North Carolina Mutt and Jeff style on my Honda XR and your Volusia.

Hope to see you down the road amigo.

Best,
Two fiddy Juan
Old 08-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #2790
JMBrad
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Jody,

Glad you are enjoying the report. Nice to have you along for the ride. I should be in North Carolina next summer after I run out of money in South America and come back to do more ADVremodeling. I'll check in with you to see how your dualsport dreams are coming along. Although I wouldn't be opposed to a dayride some weekend on the backroads of North Carolina Mutt and Jeff style on my Honda XR and your Volusia.

Hope to see you down the road amigo.

Best,
Two fiddy Juan
Sounds like a plan. If the dual sport falls through, at least we can ride some twisties back in the sticks.
Closed Thread