Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #2791
JMBrad
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Jody,

Glad you are enjoying the report. Nice to have you along for the ride. I should be in North Carolina next summer after I run out of money in South America and come back to do more ADVremodeling. I'll check in with you to see how your dualsport dreams are coming along. Although I wouldn't be opposed to a dayride some weekend on the backroads of North Carolina Mutt and Jeff style on my Honda XR and your Volusia.

Hope to see you down the road amigo.

Best,
Two fiddy Juan
Sounds like a plan. If the dual sport falls through, at least we can ride some twisties back in the sticks.
JMBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #2792
woc4
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
flying sparks

Yesterday from Cartagena de Indias to Sincelejo just 200 km lots of twisties and turn with very little traffic. Today Sincelejo to Santa Rosa, almost Medellin lots of trouble at Caucasia they only left bikes go through because it seems some people are angry for any reason with the government and they are cutting roads and burning big rigs and cars, it seems that as the bikes are the usual transportation between villages they do not want to mess with the locals there were still a lot of places with the pavement dark where he vehicles burn out, and a lot of trees removed from the road so bikers could get trough. Lot of road construction and one lane traffic only, very bad weather dense fog, I was riding behind a truck and could not see the cabin of the rig, believe less than 50 feet visibility and rainy. Found a guy from Medellin that two days ago have to hide the bike in a house because at that time they were really angry and came back today to get it back it was a BMW G 650. He talk about riding together but it seems I was going to slowly for him, and I decided that following him it was not worth the risk. A lot of rain after that and cold weather, the kilimanjaro jacket was not enough. Find a nice place to stay a few miles short of Santa Rosa, and hour and a half from Medellin, nobody knows how many klics to Medellin. Odd thing very good WiFi only 20.000.00 COL pesos around 11 US with hot water in the shower. The name of the place is La Sonora TE 860 1187 sobre la Troncal Norte beside a gas stop and a nice and clean restaurant. Its almost 2100 and is still raining, we will see what tomorrow weather is. Next post i'll try to post some pictures the looks a wonderful the only trouble is that there are almost no places where to stop and make them, seems everyone is in a hurry, and as JDowns put it somewhere it is a dangerous thing riding bike in this roads.
woc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #2793
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,546
Ran out of stone until Thursday when I can get more, so today was a good day to ride around Oregon for a few hundred miles. Western Oregon is spectacular this time of year. Mid 70s riding down the backroads. It doesn't get any better. Fresh blueberries at the roadside stand. Fresh strawberries on ice cream when I stopped for a brief visit at my other sisters house down in Eugene. Mmm, mmm, good.

Nothing like riding around on a dirt bike with no particular place to go on a warm summer day. I remember passing freshly mown hay on one side of the road and a mint field on the other as I was heading north near sunset in the cool evening air. That combination of smells was quite a delight.

Have you ever seen hops growing? I know they are an ingredient in beer. I had to ride out into a field and take a closer look:

Because it is a vine, they grow hops on twine strung from wire stretched across 20 foot tall poles. This field stretched off in the distance as far as I could see. Hundreds of acres. That's a lot of beer brewing ingredients right there.

Visited with my friend Jim up the MacKenzie river and then over to see Chipseal who was the first person to post on this ride report way back when. Really fun catching up with old friends and generally riding around aimlessly today.

The XR250 is running like a champ and I'm getting the hang of kickstarting the little ripper. I am looking forward to getting back down to Colombia to the Sherpa though. I kinda miss electric start. Plus I kept trying to shift the XR into 6th gear at 60mph and realizing 5th was as high as the XR goes. I did get on the interstate for a while after it got dark. The Sherpa has a smoother motor. On the XR you get a nice foot massage through the footpegs at 70 from the vibes.

Saludos,
Wandering Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 10:56 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #2794
Chip Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,782
Visit

Hey, John, great seeing you!
Nice XR250!
Looking forward to further adventures "John in South America"!

Chip Seal screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 09:47 AM
Chip Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #2795
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Have you ever seen hops growing? I know they are an ingredient in beer. I had to ride out into a field and take a closer look:

Because it is a vine, they grow hops on twine strung from wire stretched across 20 foot tall poles. This field stretched off in the distance as far as I could see. Hundreds of acres. That's a lot of beer brewing ingredients right there.

Saludos,
Wandering Juan
Northern California used to be a major source of Hops. Still some Hops under cultivation ... but most production has gone North to Oregon/Washington. Vineyards have taken over most former California Hop growing regions. I believe lots of Hops are now imported ... from where?
Not sure. But why? We have the best conditions in the world for Hops.

You've probably ridden through the town of Hopland? (just South of Ukiah on Highway 101?) Almost all vineyard in that area now, but you can still find Hops growing here and there. I love the smell at harvest time.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #2796
JGS
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Ran out of stone again and decided to go riding today. Took off this morning from Portland and headed up the Clackamas River on 224 past Estacada. Really fun road winding up into the Cascades. Stopped at a park to sit on a picnic table and watch the river run by:

And fill my water bottle from this cool hand pump:

Headed down Forest Service 46 south through the Cascades for 40 or 50 miles and ran into two guys heading down from Hood River this morning to ride a portion of loop 3 of the OBDR. Meet Eric and Peter:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-bqr4HSF/0/XL/IMG_0644-XL.jpg [/img]

I am bad with names but can remember history so used Eric the Red and Peter the Great to remember their names since I didnít have paper and pencil. I think theyíre on ADVrider but am not sure. Followed these guys down to the only gas station around that area at the Detroit marina where the road crossed the Santiam Hwy. Then headed up logging roads south of the reservoir. I didnít have a map or GPS so just tried to stay on major logging roads that looked like they were going somewhere. Like this:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-6cfx7nF/0/XL/IMG_0645-XL.jpg[/img]

You know, the kind that donít have grass growing down the center track and branches whapping your mirrors like this:

That invariably end at a cul-de-sac or this:

Or this:

[img http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-6cfx7nF/0/XL/IMG_0643-XL.jpg[/img]

I know from past experience that you can thread through the landslide or drag your bike over the fallen log, but chances are good that 5 miles down the road it will end if you donít see any signs of recent tire tracks.

I wasnít really lost here, but I had only a general idea of where I was. The roads up here arenít marked for the most part, so when I saw a sketchy looking road with tire tracks leading straight up switchbacks, I took it. I think it was FS190. Anyway it led up to the ridgeline where the fireweed was blooming. This is looking through the fireweed back at the previous ridge I came from:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-943zNFV/0/XL/IMG_0649-XL.jpg[/img]

The wildflowers were only blooming in the upper elevations above 4000 feet. The logging road eventually ran into a paved forest service road FS11 also known as Quartzville Road and dropped down in elevation:

This is a really twisty narrow fun road. Highly recommended. It follows Quartz Creek for around 40 miles with nothing but curves. Hereís looking down at Quartz Creek from one of the many bridges:

[Img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-p4SpQr6/0/XL/IMG_0651-XL.jpg[/img]

Check out this one bridge that got washed out in a flood:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-QpXTMj9/0/XL/IMG_0652-XL.jpg[/img]

That bridge is 70 feet long and 20 feet wide. I can only imagine the force of water that must have pounded that thing. I have to hand it to the contractor though. The bridge is basically still in one piece. It was the bridge pilings that were under engineered. False economy. The new bridge Iím standing on to take this photo has pilings that are 4 times as thick. At least they learned something.

Finally dropped down to Green Peter Reservoir which is a rather disturbing name for what is a beautiful emerald colored lake:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-QpXTMj9/0/XL/IMG_0652-XL.jpg[/img]

Dropped down into civilization at Sweethome and continued south on Marcola road until I turned on this road:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-zdhRfSh/0/XL/IMG_0654-XL.jpg[/img]

That led to Kenís house. Ken wasnít home but his wife was. Ken used to host the Tipi to tower motorcycle ride every summer. Now his wife is his ex-wife, but they still both live in the same place outside Marcola and rent out tipis in the summer if you are in the area and need an interesting place to spend the night:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-H829c9T/0/XL/IMG_0657-XL.jpg[/img]

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-KHDQdk7/0/XL/IMG_0656-XL.jpg[/img]

Iíll have to look and see if they have a website I can link to.

After a nice visit with Kenís ex-wife, I headed up the MacKenzie River. Stopped at a boat launch for a photo and noticed this large basalt column at the base of the boat launch with an inscription sandblasted in it:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-jW7MwQV/0/XL/IMG_0659-XL.jpg[/img]

Now I donít know who Gene Butterfield is, but the fact that his fishing buddies hauled a Ĺ ton basalt column over to the sandblaster and toted it up to his favorite fishing spot and dropped it in the water with a crane says a lot. What an unusual and creative memorial. With a beautiful view of the river running by:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-jW7MwQV/0/XL/IMG_0659-XL.jpg[/img]

If youíre heading up the Mackenzie highway and see this sign for Cougar Reservoir for forest service road 19 which is also known as the Aufderheide, by all means head down it. That road is nothing but curves for 60 miles. But it was getting late, so I kept on heading over the Cascades on the old Mackenzie Highway 242 which is also a great road that you should ride if you get the chance. It curves up through old growth forest at the bottom:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-b7fXh6J/0/XL/IMG_0661-XL.jpg[/img]

And continues up sharp hairpins zig-zagging up:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-3B4kFkK/0/XL/IMG_0662-XL.jpg[img]

Until you reach a 50 square mile lava flow up at the summit with beautiful views out to the Three Sisters mountains:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-fsGNZvM/0/XL/IMG_0665-XL.jpg[/img]

And a stone viewing tower at the top of the pass at Dee Wright Observatory that was built in the depression with window portholes that frame the different mountains in the area:

[img]http://johndowns.smugmug.com/Other/Oregon/i-PVfQfZG/0/XL/IMG_0667-XL.jpg[/img]

The road drops down, down down into central Oregon.

The dry side of the Cascades is like another world. Gone are the lush fern forests and in their place are tall Ponderosa pines with their distinctive fresh pine smell. Mixed with juniper and sagebrush, riding through Central Oregon to Bend was literally a breath of fresh air.

I am spending the night here in Bend with my friends Jim and Ann who were my first ride sponsors. They sent me the Garmin GPS that I used to mark camping spot waypoints and measure elevation at passes and even occasionally see where I was on my way down to South America. I will be using it again in a couple months when I get back to Colombia.

Anyway, just a little ride report within a report to show a small part of Oregon to those who have never been here.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Bender
JGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 AM   #2797
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Ran out of stone again and decided to go riding today. Took off this morning from Portland and headed up the Clackamas River on 224 past Estacada. Really fun road winding up into the Cascades. Stopped at a park to sit on a picnic table and watch the river run by:

And fill my water bottle from this cool hand pump:

Headed down Forest Service 46 south through the Cascades for 40 or 50 miles and ran into two guys heading down from Hood River this morning to ride a portion of loop 3 of the OBDR. Meet Eric and Peter:

I am bad with names but can remember history so used Eric the Red and Peter the Great to remember their names since I didn’t have paper and pencil. I think they’re on ADVrider but am not sure. Followed these guys down to the only gas station around that area at the Detroit marina where the road crossed the Santiam Hwy. Then headed up logging roads south of the reservoir. I didn’t have a map or GPS so just tried to stay on major logging roads that looked like they were going somewhere. Like this:

You know, the kind that don’t have grass growing down the center track and branches whapping your mirrors like this:

That invariably end at a cul-de-sac or this:

Or this:

I know from past experience that you can thread through the landslide or drag your bike over the fallen log, but chances are good that 5 miles down the road it will end if you don’t see any signs of recent tire tracks.

I wasn’t really lost here, but I had only a general idea of where I was. The roads up here aren’t marked for the most part, so when I saw a sketchy looking road with tire tracks leading straight up switchbacks, I took it. I think it was FS190. Anyway it led up to the ridgeline where the fireweed was blooming. This is looking through the fireweed back at the previous ridge I came from:

The wildflowers were only blooming in the upper elevations above 4000 feet. The logging road eventually ran into a paved forest service road FS11 also known as Quartzville Road and dropped down in elevation:

This is a really twisty narrow fun road. Highly recommended. It follows Quartz Creek for around 40 miles with nothing but curves. Here’s looking down at Quartz Creek from one of the many bridges:

Check out this one bridge that got washed out in a flood:

That bridge is 70 feet long and 20 feet wide. I can only imagine the force of water that must have pounded that thing. I have to hand it to the contractor though. The bridge is basically still in one piece. It was the bridge pilings that were under engineered. False economy. The new bridge I’m standing on to take this photo has pilings that are 4 times as thick. At least they learned something.

Finally dropped down to Green Peter Reservoir which is a rather disturbing name for what is a beautiful emerald colored lake:

Dropped down into civilization at Sweethome and continued south on Marcola road until I turned on this road:

That led to Ken’s house. Ken wasn’t home but his ex- wife was. Ken used to host the Tipi to tower motorcycle ride every summer. Now his wife is his ex-wife, but they still both live in the same place outside Marcola and rent out tipis in the summer if you are in the area and need an interesting place to spend the night:

I’ll have to look and see if they have a website I can link to.

After a nice visit with Ken’s ex-wife, I headed up the MacKenzie River. Stopped at a boat launch for a photo and noticed this large basalt column at the base of the boat launch with an inscription sandblasted in it:

Now I don’t know who Gene Butterfield is, but the fact that his fishing buddies hauled a Ĺ ton basalt column over to the sandblaster and toted it up to his favorite fishing spot and dropped it in the water with a crane says a lot. What an unusual and creative memorial. With a beautiful view of the river running by:

If you’re heading up the Mackenzie highway and see this sign for Cougar Reservoir for forest service road 19 which is also known as the Aufderheide, by all means head down it. This road is nothing but curves for 60 miles:

But it was getting late, so I kept on heading over the Cascades on the old Mackenzie Highway 242 which is also a great road that you should ride if you get the chance. It curves up through old growth forest at the bottom:

And continues up sharp hairpins zig-zagging up:

Until you reach a 50 square mile lava flow up at the summit with beautiful views out to the Three Sisters mountains:

And a stone viewing tower at the top of the pass at Dee Wright Observatory that was built in the depression with window portholes that frame the different mountains in the area:

The road drops down, down down into central Oregon.

The dry side of the Cascades is like another world. Gone are the lush fern forests and in their place are tall Ponderosa pines with their distinctive fresh pine smell. Mixed with juniper and sagebrush, riding through Central Oregon to Bend was literally a breath of fresh air.

I am spending the night here in Bend with my friends Jim and Ann who were my first ride sponsors. They sent me the Garmin GPS that I used to mark camping spot waypoints and measure elevation at passes and even occasionally see where I was on my way down to South America. I will be using it again in a couple months when I get back to Colombia.

Anyway, just a little ride report within a report to show a small part of Oregon to those who have never been here.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Bender

JDowns screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 01:34 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #2798
Clem Kevin
Nude With Boots

Oddometer: 827
I like your repeated emphasis on (ex) wife. I take it you got to hear all about it?

I started a ride report for a ride that starts next week, I don't think I'll be posting a lot until I get back, but keep an eye out for it Jdowns.
Clem Kevin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:09 AM   #2799
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Looks like a great place to ride, so lucky being able to use logging roads freely

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 AM   #2800
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,615
Dang Juan Bender, sure do like the pics you are taking in your "working time" out! Oregon is such a beautiful and diverse state, you are a lucky guy to be there during the summer. I think you have a great eye and truly enjoy your photos and story regardless of which side of the Darien you reside...

Now get that stone delivery sorted and stacked so you can get back down to Colombia! I will need more of the same to get me through the long coming winter!

viajar con seguridad mi amigo
Old 08-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #2801
tonymarchman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
250 touring

I just bought my touring bike. A Yamaha wr250. It is a 2008 model with only 3,000 miles on it. I am a construction guy too so I am free to travel during winter months. I plan to follow John's lead and head south when work slows up. Thanks for the inspiration John, You got us all dreaming again!
Tony in Tn
tonymarchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #2802
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDooDaddy View Post
Give me a break my friend,...

It's difficult to run the mouse with my left hand....
I feel for ya,,, I'm left-handed.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #2803
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Wow! I'm caught up. Just discovered this thread on Saturday thanks to a link in "Is Mexico Safe."

John, yur doing it right. I'm trying but I'm late to the game. Did two months in Cambodia and Thailand on rental bikes early this year. The small bikes can sure get the job done in the back country.

Also did some south-of-the border on a Honda ST1100 a couple years ago, it's less happy on the dirt track but still managed many miles.

Just got an 03 DRZ-400-E and it's in process of being ADVenturized. Hope to make it at least into Baja later this fall. Won't have a ton of time but looking forward to it. Plan to use it for most of riding in 2014, don't know yet where that will be. Panama and back sounds good tho. And/or some TAT. And/or some Continental Divide.

Super impressed with your photography and writing. Not to mention your brass balls.

I'm not afraid to travel alone (lots of that) but prefer experienced company when heading down the track less known.

Keep up the good stuff, and enjoy yur NW sojourn until ya head back to Colombia later this fall.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #2804
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
Wow! I'm caught up. Just discovered this thread on Saturday thanks to a link in "Is Mexico Safe."

John, yur doing it right. I'm trying but I'm late to the game. Did two months in Cambodia and Thailand on rental bikes early this year. The small bikes can sure get the job done in the back country.

Also did some south-of-the border on a Honda ST1100 a couple years ago, it's less happy on the dirt track but still managed many miles.

Just got an 03 DRZ-400-E and it's in process of being ADVenturized. Hope to make it at least into Baja later this fall. Won't have a ton of time but looking forward to it. Plan to use it for most of riding in 2014, don't know yet where that will be. Panama and back sounds good tho. And/or some TAT. And/or some Continental Divide.

Super impressed with your photography and writing. Not to mention your brass balls.

I'm not afraid to travel alone (lots of that) but prefer experienced company when heading down the track less known.

Keep up the good stuff, and enjoy yur NW sojourn until ya head back to Colombia later this fall.
Hi George,

Glad you are enjoying the ride report. DRZ is a great third world travel bike. I don't think you need to worry about traveling alone in Baja, but if it's your first time, a buddy can be nice I suppose. Just know, it is kind of like being married. There is some compromise involved.

Have fun amigo!
Tio Juan
Old 08-21-2013, 05:11 PM   #2805
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Until I go back to South America and continue this ride report I will be posting a ride report in Daytrippin', as this ride report is getting too bloggy, and I'm not in South America. I'm still working in Portland and will be heading out to Eastern Oregon this weekend for some fun riding. I will post a link to my summer day trippin' adventures here when I have some more pics and stories of the roads less travelled here in the states.

Thank you for your patience. I wish I was rich enough to keep riding South America, but as it is I have to earn enough to continue my adventures, and will be back down in Medellin on October 30th to continue this report. I just booked my flight on Spirit Airlines. The prices have gone up since their introductory low fares from last spring. But still, 301.00 from Phoenix to Medellin isn't bad. Can't wait to get back down and continue entertaining you this coming winter.

It should be epic.

As always, your pal in ADV,
Tio Juan