Sent from my HTC using magic.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #2807
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Hey Señor Shizz,

Glad you are still following along after all this time. I checked out your Mexican adventures. Muy bueno amigo!

Saludos,
Hermano Juan
Old 08-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #2808
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Looking forward to your day trippin thread. :

Sent from my HTC using magic.
Hola veriest1,

You and me both. Should be fun. I'll report back what I find.

Saludos,
Señor Dia Treeper
Old 08-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #2809
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 8,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hey Señor Shizz,

Glad you are still following along after all this time. I checked out your Mexican adventures. Muy bueno amigo!

Saludos,
Hermano Juan
Hey John,

Doing a four day loop through the Sierra Leon to Real de Catorce and back one week from today. "Just playin' around", as the Scot inquired.

Will post up on IMS? thread.

Schizz

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 PM   #2810
Dirt Road Cowboy
Treasure Hunter

Oddometer: 395
Hola Juan Quixote!

I just found your report, and finished 188 pages. Terrific!

I'm building my minimalist moto right now, since I'm too hard on the GL1000 when I take her off road. The last time, I broke a rear shock, and blew out both fork seals!

My 140cc CT90 may be a little too minimalist for some trips, but Nathan the Postman took his 105cc bike, Dorothy most of the way around the world, so who knows, my little Linda may do something epic someday too (when the family situation allows).

Thanks for your encouraging report. It really will help a lot of people to realize that you don't need a big, expensive bike, and a trust fund, to have a great adventure.

66 CT200/Lifan 140 (Trail 90) Build Report
XR100 engine and misc. parts, waiting for the Mad Scientist treatment!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #2811
CGgunner
Globe Rover

Oddometer: 10
Another Oregonian

I've really enjoyed reading your RR. Looking to follow suit winter 2014. Riding a KLR but keeping it light.

I'm out west of Portland, trade you a cup of coffee for a story?
Old 08-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #2812
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGgunner View Post
I've really enjoyed reading your RR. Looking to follow suit winter 2014. Riding a KLR but keeping it light.

I'm out west of Portland, trade you a cup of coffee for a story?
Hi CGgunner,

More than happy to oblige. Maybe click on my name to send me an email or Private message (PM) for a time and place or a phone # I can call and I'll be there.

I see this is your first post. Welcome aboard amigo.

Kindest regards,
Stumptown Juan
Old 09-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #2813
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 399
Juanito vagabundo donde estas? Your followers are waiting for an update from our fearless rider!!!

Later
John
Old 09-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #2814
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Juanito vagabundo donde estas? Your followers are waiting for an update from our fearless rider!!!

Later
John
Hi Eagletalon,

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to be at the Oregon coast eating fresh caught salmon and crab and watching college football at a beach house overlooking a beautiful sunset on one of the rare summer days where the sky is clear and there is no fog and little wind. Today I'm back near Portland checking this ride report and getting ready to start building a flagstone entry.

I'll be finishing up work in Oregon this month and heading back to Nebraska to mow my lawn, winterize the house, and head down to Arizona in October. Leaving Arizona for Colombia October 30th.

Should have enough money to last the winter in South America. I'll be riding around down there reporting back what I find until my money runs out. Then it's back stateside for more working, rinse and repeat.

That's the vague plan. But really, who knows what the future holds? I may end up in Southeast Asia or the south of France. If I had a clue where this ride report was going what would the fun be?

After decades of travelling, one thing I've learned is that no place on earth is perfect. However, some places are nicer than others at certain times of the year. And if a place is nice, why not hang out for a while? And if somewhere gives you the creeps for whatever reason, keep riding.

Oregon is nice in September. Nebraska is nice in October. South America is nice in the winter. That's my current itinerary.

Saludos,
Juan Vagabundo
Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #2815
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,563
John, thank you kindly for that excellent Oregon adventure! I certainly never would have seen it in day-trippin' so I am lucky to have looked when I did. It's gorgeous out there; you seem to have a knack for seeking out and capturing the beauty of wherever you are. I really appreciate how well you bring far-away place I've never seen into my imagination such that it later seems almost like I've been there.

I also have an XR250, an "L" version from '91. It is also a kick start, but has six gears. I've never ridden a Super Sherpa so I can't compare.

Congrats on going back end of Oct. Looking foward to more tales and pics from Sudamerica. When it's time to think about it, talk to me about Ecuador. Maybe take a second look at the PM I sent you about it last year for starters.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 09-10-2013 at 06:52 PM
Old 09-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #2816
KLRmonkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I Miss Oregon

John,

Thanks for the Oregon updates. I've not dropped by for a while, but it's
nice to see you are doing well. It's such beautiful country up there.
I went to school in Ashland some 25 years ago (just 1 yr), and wish I had
a little bike back then. It would have made exploring more fun.

If only we could go back and do it all again. Sigh.

Stay well,
Larry
Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #2817
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
I was watching the kids the other day so while my 2 year daughter was napping and my son was playing video games I watched the long way round . I couldnt help but think the whole time while watching it that they needed to go to the school of John Downs and get rid of all that crap . Bikes to big and to much baggage ,it took them to long to realize they both had crap they were carrying that they didnt need .

Looking forward for your Adventure to start again .
Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #2818
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
I was watching the kids the other day so while my 2 year daughter was napping and my son was playing video games I watched the long way round . I couldnt help but think the whole time while watching it that they needed to go to the school of John Downs and get rid of all that crap . Bikes to big and to much baggage ,it took them to long to realize they both had crap they were carrying that they didnt need .

Looking forward for your Adventure to start again .
Hi Hawk62cj5,

I too have been watching the Long Way Down on netflix. It's definitely a different way of traveling. Personally I prefer keeping a low profile and traveling on a shoestring. But it's always fun to see how the other half lives.

I think it's great that Charlie and Ewan were able to figure out a creative way to take off for a few months of adventure riding. I have worked for rich and famous people with an entourage. It isn't conducive to months long solo travel. With families and busy work schedules, it was necessary for them to make it into a book/movie work kind of thing. But hey, whatever gets you off the couch and out the door .

Most people take too much the first time they head out on a long trip. Nothing wrong with that. You can ship things back home after you get your travel mojo. Or give things away along the road to folks who might need them more than you do. Lots of people in Latin America could use an oversized camping chair.

44 days and I'll be back in South America to continue this report.

Saludos,
Juan Portlandia
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #2819
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRmonkey View Post
John,

Thanks for the Oregon updates. I've not dropped by for a while, but it's
nice to see you are doing well. It's such beautiful country up there.
I went to school in Ashland some 25 years ago (just 1 yr), and wish I had
a little bike back then. It would have made exploring more fun.

If only we could go back and do it all again. Sigh.

Stay well,
Larry
Hi Larry,

Forget about decades past. You still have plenty of exploring to do. What about next weekend? The Carolinas and Georgia are beautiful this time of year. I'd be all in on a fall foliage tour on the Cherohala Skyway later this month if I wasn't heading back to South America.

Anyone with a bike and a couple days off to ride is a lucky person in my book.

Best,
Oregon John
Old 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #2820
VooDooDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
44 days and I'll be back in South America to continue this report.
Many, many of us waiting for the ride to continue!

Since you left last October and started this thread, I've been busting my butt paying off debt like a madman. I figure in a little under two years, the wife.com and I will be out of debt and I can then head south like you my friend.

When the kids are on their own, I gotta tell you John, I plan on living those post-kid years just like you. Small house, no bills, working during the *nice* months back in the USA to pay for my trips south (or who knows where).

Like you say, its not for everyone, but how you do it sure is refreshing.

Inspiration!
Closed Thread