Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #2836
Rhompin45
Rhompin45

Oddometer: 216
I just started this thread yesterday but I'm going to be following you only difference is I'm a year behind. I am new to attempting this motorcycle adv thing I have not made it out of the state of Arizona yet but my time is coming.
Rhompin45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #2837
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Just be glad that the dog didn't die too. The loss of a beloved pet ranks right up there with divorce as one of lifes more painful experiences.
Tio,
I have a dog that I thought might be the first dog to go to hell, pero deje el perro con ella .

you da man
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #2838
hakes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
season two

All caught up on your summer John enjoyed it all. Great Work btw.

Resubscribed and looking forward to season two.
hakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #2839
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Laugh

Hey John, great update. My number three son just got to Palo Alto with his girlfriend in my old 2001 Miata SE, british racing green, just like my old MGB that I long ago drove out there. The Miata is a nice car for exploring, but I keep trying to talk him into a little dual sport as well.

BTW, I know you don't keep up on world news, and not to be overly alarmist, but you might consider the possibility of having to drop the "and back" part from the title of this trip report.

I'm not much enjoying the prospect of rather than looking out over my marsh in the morning through my picture window watching the sun play on the ice and swirling water vapor while drinking coffee and smelling the bacon cooking reading your report like I did last winter, but instead be huddled in my dark fall out shelter choking down another can of beanie weenies eating my heart out while you cavort in South America.

Anyhow, I'll put in another plug for Carnival in Trinidad and a hike from Blanchicheusse on the North Coast, past the Rasta House, along the sea turtle beach up the river to the waterfall with the huge swimming pool.
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:58 AM   #2840
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 574
Hey john I dont know if you have been following the super sherpa thread but we have been playing with the jetting more and what we are learning is promising . Hopfully with a few of us playing with it we might get it worked out where you have a little more grunt on the low end and a bit better cold starting than the jeckle jetting change recommended .

Go back for 3 to 4 pages . http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...63308&page=210
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #2841
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Glad to have you along amigo.

Speaking of Pedro Navaja, I've been attending the YouTube school of Spanish comprehension on my couch while I dream of riding in Latin America next month:

You can pick up a fair amount of Spanish watching movies and music videos on the internet as it turns out. I personally prefer the couch to the classroom.

Saludos,
Juan Pedro de la Musica
This is the best I could translate it to via google translate;
pedro navaja ruben blades

por la esquina dl viejo bassio lo vi pasar Old dl the corner I saw it happen Bassio
con el tumbao que tienen los guapos al caminar with the handsome Tumbao with walking
las manos siempre en los bolsillos de su gaban always hands in the pockets of his gaban
pa que no sepan en cual de ellas lleva el punal pa not know which of them takes the dagger
usa un sombrero de ala ancha de medio lao uses a wide-brimmed hat half lao

y zapatillas por si hay problemas salir volao and slippers for trouble out Volao
lentes oscuros pa que no sepan que est mirando pa sunglasses not know who is watching
y un diente de oro que euando rie se ve brillando and a gold tooth that looks shining euando series
como a tres cuandras de aquella esuinal una mujer as three cuandras in that a woman esuinal
va rrecorriendo la acera entera por quinta vez rrecorriendo the entire sidewalk is for the fifth time
y en un zaguan entra y se da un trago par olvidar and a vestibule enters and forget couple sips
que el do a esta flojo y no hay clienstes pa trabajar that this lazy and do no work clienstes pa
mientras camina pasa la vista de esquina a esquina while walking he looks from corner to corner

no se ve un alma esta desierta toa la avenida. not seen a soul this deserted toa Avenue.
cuando de pronto esa mujer sale del zaguan. when suddenly this woman leaves the vestibule.
y pedro navaja aprieta un puno dentro del gaban pedro knife and presses a fist inside the gaban

mira pa un lado ... mira pa look aside ... sight
pa otro y no ve a nadie pa other and not see anyone

y a la carrera pero sin and to the race but without
ruido cruza la calle crossing the street noise

y mientras tanto en la and meanwhile on the other side is that woman ...
otra acera va esa
mujer...

refunfunando pues no grumbling as there
hizo pesos con que comer weights did that eat

mientras camina del while walking
viejo abrigo saca un her old coat pulls out a
revolver esa mujer revolver that woman

iba a guardarlo en su cartera pa que no estorbe going to keep in your wallet pa as not to interfere

un 38 Smith and Wilson del especial 38 Smith and Wilson's special
que carge encima pa que las libre de todo mal that carge pa over that from all evil
y pedro nava jo punal en mano le fue pa encima and Pedro Nava jo dagger in his hand was above pa
el dientd de oro iba alumrando toa la avenida the gold dientd Avenue was alumrando toa
mientras reia el punal le jundia sin compacion while laughing the dagger will not compacion Jundia

cuando de pronto sono un disparo como un hen suddenly a shot rang like a
y pedro navajo cayo en la acera mientras veia a esa mujer and Pedro Navajo fell on the sidewalk while the woman looked
que revolver en mano y de muerte herida a el le decia: that revolver in hand and the death wound was telling:
yo que pensaba hoy no es mi dia estoy salada... I thought today is not my day I'm salty ...
pero pedro navajo to estas peor tu estas en naa but pedro Navajo to these worst you're in naa
y creanme gente que aunque hubo ruido nadie salio and believe me although there was no noise came
no hubo curiosos no hubo preguntas nadie lloro there were no questions anyone curious cry
solo un borracho con los 2 muertos se tropezo only with the 2 dead drunk tripped
cojio el revolver el punal dos pesos y se marcho I picked up the gun the two weights dagger and left

y tropezando se fue cantando desafinao y tropezando se fue cantando desafinao
el coro que aqui les traje y mira el mensaje de mi cancion: el coro que aqui les traje y mira el mensaje de mi cancion:
la vida te da sorpresas ... sorpresas te da la vida ay dios la vida te da sorpresas ... sorpresas te da la vida ay dios
la vida te da sorpresas... sorpresas te da la vida ey dios la vida te da sorpresas... sorpresas te da la vida ey dios
pedro navajo maton den esquina quien a hierro mata a hierro termina pedro navajo maton den esquina quien a hierro mata a hierro termina
la vida te da sorpresas... sorpresas te da la vida ey dios la vida te da sorpresas... sorpresas te da la vida ey dios

maleante pescador pal anzuelo que tiraste enves de una sardina un tiburon enganchaste thug bait fisherman pal who threw a sardine underside of a shark hooked
la vida te da sorpresas... sorpresas te da la vida ey dios life is full of surprises ... life surprises come ey god
echo millones de historias tiene la ciudad de nueva york Echo million stories have new york city
a vida te da sorpresas... sorpresas te da la vida ey dios to life is full of surprises ... life surprises come ey god
como decia mi abuelita : el que de ultimo rie se rie mejor as I said my grandmother, he who laughs last laughs best
a vida te da sorpresas... sorpresas te da la vida ey dios to life is full of surprises ... life surprises come ey god
euando lo manda el destino no lo cambia ni el mas bravo si naciste pa martillo delo oielo te caen los clavos euando fate sends him does not change neither the bravest when you are born model hammer nails fall oielo

en barrio de guapos cuidado en la acera … care in handsome neighborhood on the sidewalk ...
cuidao camaraa que el que no corre vuela camaraa cuidao the who hesitates is lost
la vida te da sorpresas... sorpresas te da la vida ey dios life is full of surprises ... life surprises come ey god
como en una novela de kafka el borracho dablo por el callejon as in a Kafka novel by the drunk alley dablo

Take care amigo
Dennis
Old 09-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #2842
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 646
Just finished all 190 pages

What a fantastic education, I am headed for Panama this December.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #2843
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
Just finished all 190 pages

What a fantastic education, I am headed for Panama this December.
Hi KustomizingKid,

You'll have a blast. I hauled my Sherpa out of the snow and down to Arizona and took off for Guatemala back in 2010 to go to the dentist and get some cavities filled.

In case you need more reading material, that ride report is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566414

You can pick up a lot of good tips reading ride reports. I ended up in Panama on that trip somehow.

Buena Suerte,
Tio Juan
Old 09-23-2013, 03:39 AM   #2844
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
Hey john I dont know if you have been following the super sherpa thread but we have been playing with the jetting more and what we are learning is promising . Hopfully with a few of us playing with it we might get it worked out where you have a little more grunt on the low end and a bit better cold starting than the jeckle jetting change recommended .

Go back for 3 to 4 pages . http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...63308&page=210
Hi Hawk62cj5,

I checked it out. Thanks for the link. It never hurts to try new things out to see if they work. I have the jeckle jets in now. Might take a 30 pilot down and stock main jet and try it out. Although at high elevation over 10,000 feet in the Andes it would probably run rich. As it is, the only adjustments the Sherpa has needed were to turn up the idle over 10,000 feet and turn it down when dropping back down. I look at it as a feature. Like an altimeter, when the Sherpa dies when you pull up to a stop you know you're getting up there. Time to reach down and turn up the idle with the handy extended adjuster hanging down under the carb. I can do it without looking while sitting at a stoplight now.

I do need to check the valves when I get down to Colombia. The bike probably has around 38,000 miles and I've only checked them once at 21,000 before I left home a year ago. It was getting a little hard to start before I left which was a slightly tight exhaust valve. Couldn't hurt to take a 30 pilot and a couple main jets down though, along with some valve shims. They take up no room.

Thanks amigo,
Juan de los Mecánicos Borrachos

JDowns screwed with this post 09-23-2013 at 01:13 PM
JDowns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #2845
bdogone1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Wow! Epic read!

Thx John for all your efforts.

And luckily I'm just caught-up in time to ride off on your next leg real-time.
Add me to the "patiently waiting" list.

What's the plan for reader contributions or fund raising?
bdogone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #2846
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogone1 View Post
Wow! Epic read!

Thx John for all your efforts.

And luckily I'm just caught-up in time to ride off on your next leg real-time.
Add me to the "patiently waiting" list.

What's the plan for reader contributions or fund raising?
Hi bdogone1,

Glad to have you along. As far as contributions, I did paypal last time just to try it out but the admins took the link out. They don't like people begging for money here on ADVrider and I can't say I blame them.

Anyway, I like earning money the old fashioned way. I enjoy working and it's a nice summer break from traveling. For me, there is nothing better than creating something beautiful out of a pile of rocks like I'm currently doing here in Oregon. Whether it's a stone entryway:

or a garage:

or even a tile kitchen:

But I am ready to hit the roads less traveled down in South America now that I am finishing up here in Oregon.

The paypal thing was more of an experiment to see if that kind of crowd funding would work for other folks who are poor and could use some financial aid. I had always wondered, and I never have seen anyone report back whether it was worth it. And I can say yes it does work. Around 200 bucks a week I'd say if you write a compelling ride report, post lots of pictures and take the time to upload them regularly. You do feel like a bit of a beggar though. Not that I have anything against drunk hobo panhandlers. It is pretty humbling accepting kindness from strangers. In the future, I personally would only go that route if I was in deep trouble and really needed it.

But this trip, I am starting off with enough money to keep me going. Not quite as broke as I was last year. With selling off motorcycle parts and working all summer, I should have enough to keep me going all winter. And I usually like a change of pace after 6 months of riding and goofing off and enjoy coming home and working for my riding money. If people kept sending me money I'd never have an excuse to come home and visit my pals in the U.S.

In the end, the nicest contributions I have received are kind words and great ideas from folks like you on this ride report. Along with the great advriders I have met along the way in my travels who have offered places to stay and given great advice on things to do and places to check out.

There are some great people on ADVrider. And I intend to meet a lot more of them down the road.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero

JDowns screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 02:15 PM
JDowns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #2847
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294

Very kind and generous sir, it's no wonder you fit in so well in Latin America.
Que Dios lo acompañe siempre.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:41 PM   #2848
jackflash252
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
bump
jackflash252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #2849
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
John, I am your neighbor (when you are home) over here in CO. If you ever want to head up into the Rockies, or are in my neck of the woods, Northern Colorado, Fort Collins, please im me, I would love to have a sit with you. Also you have a place to stay anytime!!! Ed
Old 09-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #2850
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
John, I am your neighbor (when you are home) over here in CO. If you ever want to head up into the Rockies, or are in my neck of the woods, Northern Colorado, Fort Collins, please im me, I would love to have a sit with you. Also you have a place to stay anytime!!! Ed
Hi Ed,

Thanks so much for the kind offer. I will be sure to pm you next time I'm in the Fort Collins area to see if you're around. It might be a while since I'm leaving for South America in 32 days, but don't be surprised to hear from me in the future.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Juan de las Montañas Rocosas