Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #2866
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood8 View Post
Hope that you get to the Argentina and Chile. On the best ride report ever. Its so cool to see that you can do it on 250cc bike with not too many fancy things.
Hi johnnybgood8,

Glad to have you along. Patagonia and the Carretera Austral are calling me. First I have to get out of Colombia.

Well okay, first I have to get TO Colombia. 28 days and counting.

Best,
Johnny B. Goode III
Old 10-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #2867
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi KustomizingKid,

You'll have a blast. I hauled my Sherpa out of the snow and down to Arizona and took off for Guatemala back in 2010 to go to the dentist and get some cavities filled.

In case you need more reading material, that ride report is here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566414

You can pick up a lot of good tips reading ride reports. I ended up in Panama on that trip somehow.

Buena Suerte,
Tio Juan
I have read the C.A. report multiple times. I really wish I had the time and money to traverse the Darien. Luckily 3 months will be about perfect for a first time ride.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #2868
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Just don't forget about me when you get back !

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
Old 10-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #2869
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon View Post
Just don't forget about me when you get back !
Hi bigdon,

You're first on the list when I get back, don't worry. Look forward to meeting you. Should be fun.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Construcción Vagabundo
Old 10-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #2870
Saralou
Worldwide Rider

Oddometer: 793
Colombia

We are in Barichara on our way to the east coast and then around to Cartegena , Medellin etc. Maybe we will see you down the road somewhere farther south for a beer? Colombia is awesome for riding!

Sara

ADV RR Finding Freedom...World Wide Ride

Join the Adventure
Old 10-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #2871
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saralou View Post
We are in Barichara on our way to the east coast and then around to Cartegena , Medellin etc. Maybe we will see you down the road somewhere farther south for a beer? Colombia is awesome for riding!

Sara
Hi Sara,

I have been enjoying reading your ride report. It seems like a lifetime ago when I was wandering around in the Tres Cordilleras north of San Gil. Beautiful area. And yes, it would be wonderful to meet you two in person. Hope to see you down the road. In the meantime, have fun and keep up the good work reporting back what you find.

Kindest regards,
John
Old 10-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #2872
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 689
Parece que despierta tu reporte Tio Juanito!!!

Looking forward to it

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Old 10-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #2873
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,570
No puedo esperar!!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 10-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #2874
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Yay for Super Sherpas!!!

So happy to have found this report. I'm getting my little Super Sherpa ready to ride home, from Australia back to Seattle via Asia and Europe. People dog those little bikes and say you're crazy, but for god's sake, I'm getting 75mpg, keeping up with freeway traffic, AND I can pick it up myself fully loaded (and that's important, as I'm not a very big girl).

A tall friend of mine is considering coming along, and I'm trying to convince him to get a Sherpa as well :)

Thanks for posting, and I'll definitely be following. Please post anything that's specific to the Sherpa too, in terms of mechanical stuff, as I don't know much... Learning slowly, usually while on the road!

By the way, what tank do you have fitted on there? I'd love to get a bigger tank but don't know how to retrofit it.

Good luck and have fun,

-Elisa
Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #2875
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Great message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulutions View Post
By the way, I am rather new to off-road adventure riding. But, I've done a lot of backpacking. When I got on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia in June, I had $300.00 and had to work along the way. I made it to Vermont by fall, found work on a farm where I wound up returning to work for 3 seasons & am good friends with that family to this day. Anyway, there are lots of inspiring people who do the A.T. on a limited budget, while there are also many who spend thousands on expensive gear and are so obsessed with conquering the trail that they burn themselves out and forget to have a good time. I could go on and on with stories, but I'll just say that I quickly learned that the people who tended to have the best time & go the furthest were the ones who spent the least amount of money and carried the smallest amount of weight. On the AT, you were almost never more than a week away from your next opportunity to get supplies. You could carry a week's worth of good plus your necessary gear & realistically keep your pack to between 25 & 35lbs, depending on how extreme you got about weight. Some guys even cut the handles off their toothbrushes. At any rate, I have often wondered why the same sort of ultralite philosophie wasn't more present in adventure riding. Nor have I yet figured out why I would need a huge, heavy pannier system on a motorcycle when, on the trail, I learned to keep my load down to a pack not much bigger than a day pack. However, Iwill say that' when I started hiking the AT, I had a very large, expensive backpack that I had bought used & believed that I just wouldn't carry as much in it. I eventually had to come to the realization that the more I could carry, the more I would carry and traded down for a smaller pack. I also bought a very expensive pair of hiking boots that, within 300 miles started to crumble apart. I was happy to in cheap, $20 running shoes from Kmart for the rest of my trip. It may just turn out that you pioneer a movement of minimalist motorcyclists. Call it a school of thought, write a book, & charge big money to give seminars on how to travel light & cheap.
Love this message! I'm keeping a blog about traveling frugally, which will include a ton about motorcycling, too. In one post I talk about living off $10,000/year and still traveling 3 months out of every single year.

I will definitely be taking more notes from other people as I continue my own journey (I'm currently taking a year off to travel/motorcycle RTW). We need more people to spread the word that frugality can be freedom!
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #2876
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbugblues View Post
So happy to have found this report. I'm getting my little Super Sherpa ready to ride home, from Australia back to Seattle via Asia and Europe. People dog those little bikes and say you're crazy, but for god's sake, I'm getting 75mpg, keeping up with freeway traffic, AND I can pick it up myself fully loaded (and that's important, as I'm not a very big girl).

A tall friend of mine is considering coming along, and I'm trying to convince him to get a Sherpa as well :)

Thanks for posting, and I'll definitely be following. Please post anything that's specific to the Sherpa too, in terms of mechanical stuff, as I don't know much... Learning slowly, usually while on the road!

By the way, what tank do you have fitted on there? I'd love to get a bigger tank but don't know how to retrofit it.

Good luck and have fun,

-Elisa
It won't get quite as good of mileage but a DR350 might fit his taller frame better, the prices tend to be reasonable, and they're air cooled simplicity.

I know it fits me (6'2" with a 34" inseam) pretty well. Those super sherpas look pretty cramped.

Taller bars and a Wal-Mart seat pad have given me plenty of room.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #2877
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:

Good luck and have fun,

-Elisa

Hi Elisa,

Not much to report as far as mechanical stuff on the Sherpa. At least not for me in the last 38.000 miles. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and the oil filter every other oil change. Adjusted the valves at 21,000 miles, but they were all good except for the left exhaust valve was slightly tight and needed a different shim. Replaced the original spark plug as well at 21,000 miles and a bur on the bottom boogered up the threads but that was quite unusual. I would replace yours with a fresh spark plug before you leave and you will be good to go from Oz to the Capitol of Starbucks.

As far as fuel capacity, I would suggest adapting an aftermarket 4 or 4.7 gallon Clarke or IMS gas tank. I got mine on Craigslist, but they are available new for a couple hundred bucks:

http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=236

You will need to adapt them slightly to the Sherpa as they are originally designed to fit the Honda XR650L. Full instructions here:

http://klrworld.com/forums/your-klkl...074d0dafd31e2d

You need a Honda XR650 fuel petcock as the threads on the Honda aftermarket tanks don't fit the Sherpa petcock. It's not terribly difficult to do. I made the brackets and adapted my gas tank and I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. The only thing I would add is that I removed the front reflectors from the forks as they were bumping into the bigger gas tank when I turned the handlebars all the way left or right. And I had to block off the vacuum tube that actuates the Sherpa petcock since it isn't needed on the aftermarket tank.

Earlier in this ride report is a picture of a Sherpa from Australia down in South America being ridden by a Sheila who has 180,000 kilometers on the clock. That says something about the mighty Sherpa reliability. Sounds like a fun trip. You should have a blast.

I took the time to check out your blog, and I must say you sound like quite the practical, minimalist young woman. It is encouraging to see level headed young people who are able to forego shiny things and credit card debt in favor of travel and quality of life. I hope you keep up a ride report and spread the minimalist love.

Although I don't have kids I feel fortunate to have so many adopted ADV neices and nephews. I worry a bit about some of the crazy nephews. You, not so much. Hope to see you down the road.

Kindest regards,
Sherpa Uncle John
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #2878
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
take it youve read sydney to london on a moped called Dot
Quote:

Good luck and have fun,

-Elisa

More fun being upright
Old 10-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #2879
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 496
Hey John,
Want to let you know how much I admire the essential simplicity of your journey. After years of feeding a BMW addiction, last year I bought KLR. Your RR is great inspiration for reducing the complications that we bring into our lives.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 AM   #2880
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
take it youve read sydney to london on a moped called Dot
One of the best ride reports evar!
Closed Thread