Oddometer: 57
Awesome read, just awesome!!!

Much love from Netherlands!

Ruud
Old 10-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #2882
Buck McCann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Happily waiting for the start of your new adventures!

With so many others I loved the first report...especially your ever present equanimity and composure in the face of challenges.
Old 10-05-2013, 04:29 AM   #2883
Travelbugblues
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Elisa,

Not much to report as far as mechanical stuff on the Sherpa. At least not for me in the last 38.000 miles. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and the oil filter every other oil change. Adjusted the valves at 21,000 miles, but they were all good except for the left exhaust valve was slightly tight and needed a different shim. Replaced the original spark plug as well at 21,000 miles and a bur on the bottom boogered up the threads but that was quite unusual. I would replace yours with a fresh spark plug before you leave and you will be good to go from Oz to the Capitol of Starbucks.

As far as fuel capacity, I would suggest adapting an aftermarket 4 or 4.7 gallon Clarke or IMS gas tank. I got mine on Craigslist, but they are available new for a couple hundred bucks:

http://justgastanks.com/product_info...roducts_id=236

You will need to adapt them slightly to the Sherpa as they are originally designed to fit the Honda XR650L. Full instructions here:

http://klrworld.com/forums/your-klkl...074d0dafd31e2d

You need a Honda XR650 fuel petcock as the threads on the Honda aftermarket tanks don't fit the Sherpa petcock. It's not terribly difficult to do. I made the brackets and adapted my gas tank and I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. The only thing I would add is that I removed the front reflectors from the forks as they were bumping into the bigger gas tank when I turned the handlebars all the way left or right. And I had to block off the vacuum tube that actuates the Sherpa petcock since it isn't needed on the aftermarket tank.

Earlier in this ride report is a picture of a Sherpa from Australia down in South America being ridden by a Sheila who has 180,000 kilometers on the clock. That says something about the mighty Sherpa reliability. Sounds like a fun trip. You should have a blast.

I took the time to check out your blog, and I must say you sound like quite the practical, minimalist young woman. It is encouraging to see level headed young people who are able to forego shiny things and credit card debt in favor of travel and quality of life. I hope you keep up a ride report and spread the minimalist love.

Although I don't have kids I feel fortunate to have so many adopted ADV neices and nephews. I worry a bit about some of the crazy nephews. You, not so much. Hope to see you down the road.

Kindest regards,
Sherpa Uncle John

Thanks so much! Great info- I did just get a new spark plug, new chain, sprocket, back tire, flushed everything, and a few other necessary things. Just now figuring out luggage. Picked up some cheap panniers ($75/pair) very similar to what I use on bicycle trips, only bigger. I'll head out this Monday or Tuesday for a (smallish) tour of Australia.

When I come back, I'll look into a larger fuel tank, too.

Thanks again and take care!
Elisa
Old 10-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #2884
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Hola, JD !

Been away off your journey for too long... So, I'm back to see what's up. Glad to see you're going back to SA soon ! I'm not late then I'll be following you all the winter, like I did last time...

Here in Eastern Europe, autumn is in full swing and winter is coming quickly... Its freezing cold at nights already. Better to jump into SA with you

Again, safe travels and remember old friends are there, in good or bad.

Saludos, amigo !
Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #2885
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
Thanks!

To all you world bikers, both pedal and moto, I would like to extend my
thanks. Thanks for being my representative to the world. But to you
who travel a little "closer to the bone", minimalist that is, you deserve
more of my kudos. I extend this thank you to all, but at the expense of
waving the flag, especially to John Downs who is my true Ambassador-at-
Large. Thanks John for all us blue-collars that are terribly under
represented for showing the world that: no, Americans are not all rich and
yes, Americans can work and survive anywhere and still spread good will.

Awaiting with bated breath the next chapter.

Robert Parker
San Diego
Semper Fi bro keep rollin'
Old 10-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #2886
RACINGTHESUN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I know what will happen...

Quote:
Hi Doug,

You ARE riding with me. That's the nice thing about ride reports. You have to imagine it before you can do it. My job this winter is to keep your imagination cooking until your reality catches up and you're heading south.

Saludos,
Juan Imaginación
I know what will happen......
I will be reading your RR this winter, and then feel the need to do something moronic, like get on my bike and break my collar bone and ribs again on the snow and ice

Yeah, it was a slight venture into stupidity on my part, I admit. I will try to stay safely planted in the easy chair with wireless keyboard and mouse reading your awesome RR John.
Doug
Old 10-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #2887
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACINGTHESUN View Post
I know what will happen......
I will be reading your RR this winter, and then feel the need to do something moronic, like get on my bike and break my collar bone and ribs again on the snow and ice

Yeah, it was a slight venture into stupidity on my part, I admit. I will try to stay safely planted in the easy chair with wireless keyboard and mouse reading your awesome RR John.
Doug
Hind site is a 20/20 bitch....
Old 10-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #2888
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I think you've pared your kit down to the bare essentials when you've reached the point where you can unpack and pack every item in pitch dark.

In my younger days I hiked 600 miles from Maine to CT late fall/early winter mostly in the snow. I weighed my pack after a resupply in town and it was 65 pounds. That was good for nine days/90 miles in the mountains carrying everything but water. Night time temperatures in the 20's camping in a lean-to shelter or out in the open.

Civil War soldiers on campaign carried about 25 pounds including weapon and ammo.

With modern gear I don't see how you really need to carry more than 25 to thirty pounds on a motorcycle tops if all you are doing is spending the odd night bivouacking.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 AM   #2889
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex_MGB View Post

With modern gear I don't see how you really need to carry more than 25 to thirty pounds on a motorcycle tops if all you are doing is spending the odd night bivouacking.
As an ultralight backpacker I see it as a paradigm issue stemming from car campers having to cut down what they carry in their truck/car/SUV to fit it all on a bike.

In contrast the backpacker has a better understanding of need vs. want stemming from having to serve as his/her own pack mule. The backpacker then adds what's needed to keep a motorcycle running to an already "minimilist" kit and calls it done other than swapping to a warmer bag, sleeping pad, etc. because the bike can quickly take one through a variety of climates.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #2890
Pepper Parapente
FLy far, Go fast.

Oddometer: 4
Riding in November

I'll be leaving in late November, early December for a ride to Santiago, Chile I don't have a bike yet!!

Would love to ride/stay with folks anywhere. My bike will be heavy, I'm bringing my paraglider and I'm a Sally in the soft sand!

I'm loving this thread and so much great advice.. You guys rock.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #2891
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
John, are you on your way?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #2892
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826

We are officially in motion heading south! Ride safely JDowns we are all counting on you to get us through this long cold coming winter!
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #2893
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Yes. Been on the road and off the grid doing all the things necessary before heading out. Drove 32 hours straight through from Oregon to Nebraska to close down my house and drain the water lines, shut off utilities etc.

Then headed down to Tulsa Oklahoma yesterday where I am this morning visiting my ADVbuddies Tomski and Yanoush at the North Tulsa Oasis. It just so happens to be Tuesday, so it seems silly not to hit the Tulsa Tuesday Pub Crawl before heading over to Arizona to work on my sisters house until I leave for South America on Oct. 30th.

T minus 15 days until blastoff.

Kindest regards,
Juan Tulsa
Woot , dont forget to bring your trick or treat bag
Old 10-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #2894
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjo69 View Post
John, are you on your way?

Yes. Been on the road and off the grid doing all the things necessary before heading out. Drove 32 hours straight through from Oregon to Nebraska to close down my house and drain the water lines, shut off utilities etc.

Then headed down to Tulsa Oklahoma yesterday where I am this morning visiting my ADVbuddies Tomski and Yanoush at the North Tulsa Oasis. It just so happens to be Tuesday, so it seems silly not to hit the Tulsa Tuesday Pub Crawl before heading over to Arizona mañana to work on my sisters house until I fly from Phoenix to South America on Oct. 30th.

T minus 15 days until blastoff.

Kindest regards,
Juan Tulsa
Old 10-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #2895
airdale7
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Not sure I can get away but where is the TTPC location for tonight?

Every day is a new adventure!
Closed Thread