Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #2896
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale7 View Post
Not sure I can get away but where is the TTPC location for tonight?
Hi airdale7,

As far as Tulsa Tuesday Pub Crawl location tonight, I have no ideer. But I'll be there. Look forward to seeing you.

Cheers,
Nebraska John
Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 AM   #2897
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Yes. Been on the road and off the grid doing all the things necessary before heading out. Drove 32 hours straight through from Oregon to Nebraska to close down my house and drain the water lines, shut off utilities etc.

Then headed down to Tulsa Oklahoma yesterday where I am this morning visiting my ADVbuddies Tomski and Yanoush at the North Tulsa Oasis. It just so happens to be Tuesday, so it seems silly not to hit the Tulsa Tuesday Pub Crawl before heading over to Arizona mañana to work on my sisters house until I fly from Phoenix to South America on Oct. 30th.

T minus 15 days until blastoff.

Kindest regards,
Juan Tulsa
Yay
Old 10-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #2898
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 320
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

T minus 15 days until blastoff.

Kindest regards,
Juan Tulsa
Hey there Juanito,

I have been watching the temperatures drop in your area solely for one reason...

I am again living the vagabond lifestyle vicariously.

Safe and eventful travels Mr. J"moto-guru"Downs.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln

GRinCR screwed with this post 10-16-2013 at 10:33 AM
GRinCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #2899
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRinCR View Post
Hey there Juanito,

I have been watching the temperatures drop in your area solely for one reason...

I am again living the vagabond lifestyle vicariously.

Safe and eventful travels Mr. J"moto-guru"Downs.
Hola Greg,

Good to hear from you! Hope all is well in Costa Rica. I sure had fun visiting with you and your lovely family. Give my best to them.

I will do my best to keep you entertained this winter.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Vagabundo
Old 10-17-2013, 01:20 AM   #2900
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

What a difference a day makes!

Last night I was in Tulsa looking a little travel weary chowing down a burger with the local ADV crew when Tomski snapped this pic. Pictured are Tim on the left, Charles in the center and myself:

And tonight I find myself in the outskirts of Phoenix AZ after getting my kicks on Route 66 heading 1000 miles across Oklahoma, the panhandle of Texas, the land of Enchantment and down through Arizona.

High point of the day had to be traveling down the long lonesome road with the pedal to the metal listening to the radio blasting as the sunset lit up the skies with orange and red flames outside Gallup, New Mexico when this came on:

Flying across the desert with the XR in tow in the trailer dreaming of riding Colombia in a couple weeks listening to a Molly Hatchet guitar solo sure brought a smile to my face. It's my new southwest desert travel theme song. The lyrics spoke to me at the time, but of course, it could have been the white line fever talking.

I gotta get some sleep. It was a long day.

Adios amigos,
Juan Zona

JDowns screwed with this post 10-22-2013 at 08:46 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #2901
woodly1069
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Love that goog old southern rock!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #2902
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Hi John,I only discovered this RR the other week I hadn't been on here for a while as I got a bit bored reading about people hooning around the planet on teutonic bling buses [the RR's all start to get similar after a while just change the locations].
Your RR is different though!
I was wondering why I enjoy it as much as I do,I think it's because it's in real time & your interacting / meeting up with other forumites plus your doing the journey on a smaller bike & keeping the costs affordable,something we can all relate to.
I don't know how many of the younger riders your report's inspired but as a fairly well travelled 52 year old you've got me thinking about taking a sabbatical from work & exploring the 'Americas' in the near future..
That Molly Hatchet album you've been listening to,it's in my record collection,they even got played this side of the pond
Keep up the good work & thanks for taking us along
MarkF
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #2903
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.F View Post
Hi John,I only discovered this RR the other week I hadn't been on here for a while as I got a bit bored reading about people hooning around the planet on teutonic bling buses [the RR's all start to get similar after a while just change the locations].
Your RR is different though!
I was wondering why I enjoy it as much as I do,I think it's because it's in real time & your interacting / meeting up with other forumites plus your doing the journey on a smaller bike & keeping the costs affordable,something we can all relate to.
I don't know how many of the younger riders your report's inspired but as a fairly well travelled 52 year old you've got me thinking about taking a sabbatical from work & exploring the 'Americas' in the near future..
That Molly Hatchet album you've been listening to,it's in my record collection,they even got played this side of the pond
Keep up the good work & thanks for taking us along
MarkF
Hi MarkF,

Like you, I prefer up to the minute ride reports that are in the moment, where you feel you are there. Also, I forget so much of the interesting people and places as time goes by. This ride report is for me as much as anyone. Some folks are good at recounting their rides when they get home. I prefer to recount the ups and downs and ins and outs as they happen and report back useful tips, places to go, or affordable travel ideas as I experience them. Plus, with the advent of the internet, really nice folks all around the world that read these live ride reports get in touch with you privately or in the ride report itself as you're passing through their country and give you great ideas and offer places to stay. While I don't have time to visit all of them personally, I have made more of an effort to find the time.

Another reason I continue reporting is because I remember back when I was young nobody was around to encourage me to take off and see the world. I had to figure it out for myself and learn that that the world wasn't the dangerous place all the people who read newspapers and watch TV told me about. Not that any of them have been anywhere to actually know firsthand.

Also I think it's important to encourage people young and old that you don't have to spend a fortune to go ADVriding. I don't really pack any different for a weekend camping trip than I do for a South American adventure. And an inexpensive bike in good condition along with used gear from Craigslist can get you out exploring if you don't have a lot of money to spend. Now that I am old and poor I look at riding a smaller dirt bike as a feature upgrade from hitch-hiking and bicycle touring like I used to do when I was young and poor.

And yes, you need to take time off from work and get over here. We're not getting any younger mate. You have a free place to stay at my house whether I'm there or not.

Cheers,
John across the pond
Old 10-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #2904
Cmnthead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Phil & Cams Excellent Adventure

Hey there Tio Juan!
Well, it's getting closer.....Cam and I leave on November 7th. We just came up from the garage, we are getting the bikes ready for the big day. I think I have it all figured out, but them border crossings keep popping back up in my mind. Ohh well, we will figure it out. Nothing a smile, politeness and a bit of time to put my mind to ease once we find our groove.
We are crossing at Brownsville Tx then heading Belize way. We are taking your advise from when you were at our shack earlier in the year, not planing any more than a day or so ahead and not in a rush. However we are going to hustle thru the states as quick as possible.
Can't wait....our driveway in Teeswater Ontario Canada to our driveway in Playa Uverito Panama. I'm taking my newly acquired GSA that I bought from a friend of mine. He shipped it to Peru, then had it shipped home after a sorta minor accident ended his trip early. It's been sitting the last 4 years waiting to try it again. Cam is taking his Honda XR650L that he aquired off fellow Canadian inmate "Pete the farmer" in the spring.
If we enjoy it, we want to do the Columbia tour next year.
Sorry for the hijack bud, just venting!
See you down the road.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.. H Thompson
Cmnthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #2905
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmnthead View Post
Hey there Tio Juan!
Well, it's getting closer.....Cam and I leave on November 7th. We just came up from the garage, we are getting the bikes ready for the big day. I think I have it all figured out, but them border crossings keep popping back up in my mind. Ohh well, we will figure it out. Nothing a smile, politeness and a bit of time to put my mind to ease once we find our groove.
We are crossing at Brownsville Tx then heading Belize way. We are taking your advise from when you were at our shack earlier in the year, not planing any more than a day or so ahead and not in a rush. However we are going to hustle thru the states as quick as possible.
Can't wait....our driveway in Teeswater Ontario Canada to our driveway in Playa Uverito Panama. I'm taking my newly acquired GSA that I bought from a friend of mine. He shipped it to Peru, then had it shipped home after a sorta minor accident ended his trip early. It's been sitting the last 4 years waiting to try it again. Cam is taking his Honda XR650L that he aquired off fellow Canadian inmate "Pete the farmer" in the spring.
If we enjoy it, we want to do the Columbia tour next year.
Sorry for the hijack bud, just venting!
See you down the road.
Hi Phil,

That is great news!!! You've got the right attitude. Take it as it comes and don't sweat the details. Should be an epic trip. Nothing better than a father/son road trip. You can't help but get pumped for a long ride. Believe me, I know the feeling. Cam is lucky to have a cool Dad like you amigo. It makes me smile just thinking of all the fun you're going to have. Canada to Panama is no slouch ride. I can see you telling your grandkids about it when you get to be my age...... and there we were sonny, your father and I were axle deep in mud totally lost in the jungle with howler monkeys and parrots screeching down from the trees when all of a sudden......

Assuming Cam doesn't stay a bachelor for life.

The Azuero penninsula is a little slice of heaven. I sure had a great time goofing off with you, Cam and the other Phil in Panama last year. It's folks like you that make this continuing saga so much fun. Hope to see you down the road again sometime.

Buena Suerte,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 10-17-2013 at 08:04 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #2906
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
As an ultralight backpacker I see it as a paradigm issue stemming from car campers having to cut down what they carry in their truck/car/SUV to fit it all on a bike.
When I took up sea kayaking and no longer had to carry the load or pedal it uphill on a bike, I was surprised at all the extra bits I took "just in case". There's something to the Jack Reacher approach which this thread has an element of :)

Eleven more days and the adventure continues. Be interesting to see how long the soft, inviting tendrils of Medellin stay our troubadour from the open road and high adventure.
ex_MGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #2907
GeneC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Let us know if you need anything!

Hey John,

Ive followed your adventure all last year and really excited to hear about your adventures coming up. As many have mentioned, your up to date recordings of your trip are so inspiring and greatly appreciated. On that note, of there is anything we can give back in supplying things you might need (gloves, waterproof camera...) would love to contribute to the cause. BTW, are you going to continue the gas tank singing ritual, I loved that :-). Best of luck I the coming weeks. Hoping one day it will be me. Kids are 16, 17 and 21 so I'm getting close :-)

Best,
Gene
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:17 PM   #2908
johnnybgood8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
John this is my favourite rr so far! Read many of them but that minimalistic trip on kawasaki, so many people around you etc... its so great to see.
johnnybgood8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #2909
ratbikemike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
ratbikemike update and well wishes.

Congrats on your soon to happen exit !! Good to hear. Quickly ... As for me I sold the old BMW for a good price and to a good home. The new owner will pour money on it all winter and then be quite proud of it in the spring. I on the other hand, I have just made the last payment on 600 bandit that I plan to ride til I leave and when I return. Friends and I are plotting a sailing venture across the Atlantic. Three guys, three bikes and one 35 foot sail boat....Part of my job is to sort out three light weight duel sports. What could possibility go wrong? Target exit date is one year from now, at the end of the next hurricane season. This year I will spend some time doing things I missed on the last trip, like rallys, drag racing, riding with friends and getting up to speed on this dirt road traveling stuff. I so little off road skills, so will fix that this year. And some more swimming lessons !! woohoo.... Thanks for your travel lessons and encouragement. Best of luck in SA my friend, mike
ratbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #2910
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbikemike View Post
Congrats on your soon to happen exit !! Good to hear. Quickly ... As for me I sold the old BMW for a good price and to a good home. The new owner will pour money on it all winter and then be quite proud of it in the spring. I on the other hand, I have just made the last payment on 600 bandit that I plan to ride til I leave and when I return. Friends and I are plotting a sailing venture across the Atlantic. Three guys, three bikes and one 35 foot sail boat....Part of my job is to sort out three light weight duel sports. What could possibility go wrong? Target exit date is one year from now, at the end of the next hurricane season. This year I will spend some time doing things I missed on the last trip, like rallys, drag racing, riding with friends and getting up to speed on this dirt road traveling stuff. I so little off road skills, so will fix that this year. And some more swimming lessons !! woohoo.... Thanks for your travel lessons and encouragement. Best of luck in SA my friend, mike
Hi Mike!

So good to hear from you! I can see you now. Travelling the world on a 600 Bandit as a Social Security vagabond. Sounds like fun to me.

I like your ability to live on the edge. Shipping costs got you down? Buy a sailboat with a couple buddies, strap three dirt bikes to the gunwales and sail to Spain. That is some creative thinking you've got going there.

I am glad I met you last year in Guatemala. It made me realize just how easy it would be to get social security direct deposited to a checking account in the states and travel around from ATM to ATM anywhere in the world in a couple years if social security is still around.

Best luck in your travels amigo.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Jubilado