User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #2956
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
I’m back in the saddle again!!!! Woohooo!!!!

Well okay, not quite. I’ll go check on the Sherpa tomorrow. But I made it to Colombia. What a hoot!!!! I don’t know if you know how easy it is to forget how nice a place is if you leave for a few months. And then you come flying in and look at the lush tropical hillsides and winding roads down below the plane and think to yourself, “Oh yeah, I remember now. This place is awesome!” That’s how Colombia is. Had a fun time flying here. Three really smooth landings in stiff blustery crosswinds, so gotta hand it to the Spirit Airlines boys. Checking through immigration was easy in Colombia. They never stamped my moto into my passport last Spring so no problemas. Hit the Cajero Automatico (ATM) at the airport for 400,000 pesos (200 bucks). Just drop the last three peso zeros and divide by 2 and you get the dollar equivalent. Caught a bus from the airport down to San Diego Centro for 8,000 pesos. Caught a cab from there to Al's Shamrock in Poblado. The nice taxista (taxi driver) only knew where Casa Kiwi was in Poblado so I had him drive me there for 8,000 pesos since it’s only a few blocks from Al’s Shamrock Pub. So 8 bucks got me to the Shamrock from the airport.

Now mind you, I don’t want to build Colombia up too big so you guys all get off the couch, come down here and crowd out the place. But there’s nothing better than coming back six months later to big hugs from Fernanda:

And the lovely Yudi:

And sit out on the terrace here at the Shamrock and watch the nice folks of Colombia walk by:

What a difference a day makes. Quite a change from the women of Walmart in Phoenix yesterday:

Not that I have anything against full figured women.

This little 150 Honda rode up and I think I could ride that bike to Tierra del Fuego if the Sherpa blows up. Just raise the front fender, slap on some dual sport tires and you’re in business.

I can’t believe I got here just in time for the big Haloween fiesta tomorrow night. The girls down the street were getting ready a day early. Here’s one:

I met a nice geologist named Jack this evening. He’s from Arkansas and is married to a Colombian. He said it’s dangerous out in Choco on the Pacific coast where he’s working for a mining company, so might have to head out that way to check it out.

Other people tell me it’s dangerous in Venezuela so definitely have to go there.

Mind you these danger stories keep the tourists away and the prices down, so great fun for minimalists on a budget.

I’ve been up for a couple days, so time to get some sleep.

Adios amigos,
Juan Poblado

JDowns screwed with this post 10-30-2013 at 06:33 PM
Old 10-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #2957
BC Brian
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Glad to see you're back to your travels.

Looking forward to another winter watching you having fun in the sun.

Brian
Old 10-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #2958
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC Brian View Post
Glad to see you're back to your travels.

Looking forward to another winter watching you having fun in the sun.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Glad to have you along. I remember many years ago spending the night west of Vanderhoof with a guy who invited me up to his place when he stopped at 10 PM in a pouring rain to say hi while I was huddled next to my bike under a closed gas station overhang, staring at a BC map in the glow of my BMW headlight in a thunderstorm dreading the thought of camping. You meet the nicest people out in the sticks in British Columbia. I still smile thinking of that family. Great folks up your way. Headed through Fort Fraser the next morning on my way over to the Cassiar. That Fraser lake is a biggun.

Down in the States we have the Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW). I imagine up your way you have the Veterans of Frozen Fraser Winters (VFFW). Hope to keep you entertained through this next one.

Your ADVpal,
Juan of the North (and South)
Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #2959
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 466
Good luck in your travels. Looking forward to traveling along via your excellent narrative and photos.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 PM   #2960
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
Good luck in your travels. Looking forward to traveling along via your excellent narrative and photos.
Hi CharlestonADV,

I'll be over in the Carolinas next summer or thereabouts. Hope to see you down the road.

Oh, and how 'bout them Gamecocks. Kicked Mizzous butt.

I confess. The only reason I care is because I went to the University of Oregon and am hoping the Ducks take the National Championship this year. And South Carolina knocked Missouri out of contention.

When I was in college back in the early 70's Oregon Duck football sucked donkeyballs. Oregon Duck national football champs and me making it to South America on a 250 Sherpa are two of my lifelong goals.

One has been achieved.

Saludos,
Juan Quackerbacker
Old 10-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #2961
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Thank god you're back. I've been waiting for this all summer.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #2962
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Caught a bus from the airport down to San Diego Centro for 8,000 pesos. Caught a cab from there to Al's Shamrock in Poblado. The nice taxista (taxi driver) only knew where Casa Kiwi was in Poblado so I had him drive me there for 8,000 pesos since its only a few blocks from Als Shamrock Pub. So 8 bucks got me to the Shamrock from the airport.
Cool! Any chance you might remember the name or number of bus? Coming to Colombia on Tuesday next week..
Old 10-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #2963
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
...how easy it is to forget how nice a place is if you leave for a few months. And then you come flying in and... think to yourself, “Oh yeah, I remember now. This place is awesome!” ...
Oh yeah, that's how I am with Ecuador. Just when I think it can't get any better, it does on the next visit. You have me emotional with that post! I'll be there in Dec/Jan if you're around maybe we can visit. I'm so looking forward to being there, and I'll get to participate in the burning of the old year! Woohoo! Hope your Sherpa starts right up!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 10-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #2964
borscht zanetti
06 950 Adventure

Oddometer: 175
Oh yeah! You are a big part of my survive winter plan Mr Downs . Another repeat customer!
Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #2965
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,376
And we're off!

That little 150 looks cool. It's been said time and time again but I'll say it again - we miss out on so many neat bikes here in the USA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2013, 08:55 PM   #2966
nvklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Still here

Still here watching/reading and being entertained. Thanks again John. Happy travels!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 PM   #2967
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Watching here in Kingman, too. Gotta get at least a little Mexico over the winter.

Enjoy, John, and continue to keep us poSTed.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #2968
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Cool! Any chance you might remember the name or number of bus? Coming to Colombia on Tuesday next week..
Hi WWAWC,

Are you flying into Medellin when you come to Colombia next week? If so, while on the plane they will hand out forms for immigration which you fill out while descending into the airport. When you get off the plane just follow the crowd to immigration. You go left after getting your passport stamped , take a left through the line-up of taxistas holding signs for people expecting to be picked up, and down to the Cajero Automatico (ATM) on the left to get some Colombian pesos. Then out the door a ways behind the lineup of yellow taxis outside will be a couple diesel mini-buses going to Medellin. As soon as one fills up with 20 passengers it takes off. The fare is 8,000 pesos. After winding 20 or 30 miles up and down through the mountains it drops down a mountain and stops at a cab stand where you hop in a taxi and head to your final destination.

Or option 2 is to hop in a cab at the airport. The current fare to Medellin is a flat 55,000 pesos I believe.

Look forward to seeing you next week.

Saludos,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 10-31-2013 at 07:20 AM
Old 10-31-2013, 07:17 AM   #2969
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Oh yeah, that's how I am with Ecuador. Just when I think it can't get any better, it does on the next visit. You have me emotional with that post! I'll be there in Dec/Jan if you're around maybe we can visit. I'm so looking forward to being there, and I'll get to participate in the burning of the old year! Woohoo! Hope your Sherpa starts right up!
Hi ONandOFF,

I'll definitely drop by if I'm in Ecuador later this year. It could happen.

Saludos,
Juanito
Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 AM   #2970
JMBrad
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Whoo Hooo! Back in SA! Have a great time!

I'll be following along from NC.

Jody
Closed Thread