Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #3016
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,619
Late last night during the thunderstorms another ADVrider arrived here at the Shamrock. It was just us three bikers last night. Here is a pic of WhicheverAnywayCan (or Ken as I like to call him) on the left, and Jonathan (give me more muddy roads) Dutch XT rider on the right:

Ken is deaf so Jonathan and I had a lot of fun writing notes. Reminded me of grade school. Wish I knew American Sign Language. Alas, my sign language skills are limited. All I know is thumb to index finger AOK, thumbs up, index finger pointing toward crotch while riding to indicate to a fellow rider that your bladder is about ready to blow, and middle finger thrust skyward as you pass the driver that nearly killed you. Anyway Ken is a really great guy and I’m glad to have met him. He’s heading out on a rented bike for a couple weeks and Jonathan was able to give him some great GPS waypoints for places to go and things to do. He’s going to have a blast.

Went up the way to Al’s place where the Sherpa has been sitting for the last 6 months. I took the elevator down to the lower parking garage at Al’s place, rounded the corner, and HOLY CRAP, there the Sherpa is, back in the corner behind all the Katooms:

Kind of the ugly stepsister tucked in the corner. I love this bike though:

There was still air in the tires so I figured what the heck, lets see if she’ll start. I hooked up the battery, turned on the gas tap, pulled out the choke, hit the starter. VROOOOOOOM! There was 6 month old gas in the tank. In fact the old gas turned the tank a mellow brown color. Most of the names of last years sponsors who sent me gas money and gave me a place to stay have faded away. Hmmmmm. Not sure what to do about that. But WOW. This Sherpa never ceases to amaze me. It needs nothing. Runs like a champ. Well okay, I’ll change the oil and filter, clean her up a bit and get some decent gas in the tank. I’ll hit the road in a while. In the meantime, I’m hanging loose in Medellin.

Since the Sherpa needed nothing, I took the elevator up to Al’s condo up on the 10th floor. He has a two story entry foyer and he brought a painting from Ecuador that a guy traded him room and board for. Kind of like what I’m doing I guess. Anyway I had to take a pic of this painting. Al told the artist he wanted something outrageous. This thing is easily 8’x8’. I had to stand way back and have Al get up on the second floor balcony for scale so you can see what I’m talking about:

Outrageous? Yeah, I’d say so. I have no idea what the artist was thinking. But who doesn’t like rotweillers? And snakes twisted in celtic knots? And jodhpurs? And uniforms with mysterious crosses?

You’d have to know Al to appreciate his sense of humor I guess. He’s a great guy. He’s Scottish. He’s obsessed with motorcycles.That says it all.

So I rode the Sherpa back down to the Shamrock in between thunderstorms. I have to go get something to eat.

More later……

Saludos,
Juan Sherpa

JDowns screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 03:28 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #3017
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
I do not know how I missed your report until recently . So I have had the pleasure of much enjoyable reading to catch up to be current . I must compliment you on your outlook on everything . The only people I have ever met that are that laid back were using recreational pharmaceuticals . The more ride reports I read , the more it seems like smaller displacement bikes are better tools for the job . Thanks for all the effort in supplying such quality reading (and pictures) to all of us less traveled riders . I will be following along often . I want to be like you when I grow up . Safe travels my friend !
Hi Gramp-Z,

Glad to have you along for the ride. I can't afford pharmaceuticals. In fact if I didn't copy and paste it from your post, I don't think I could even spell it. You know you're old when people with handles like Gramp-Z want to be like you when they grow up.

Saludos,
Juan Viejo
Old 11-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #3018
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burro driver View Post
Hey Mr. Downs, following from the beginning this time! Have fun, wish I was there with you!
Hi Burro driver,

I say, get on that donkey of yours and join me down here amigo. It's cold in Colorado. It's time you headed south.

Saludos,
Juan Burrocicletista
Old 11-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #3019
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Juanito! That sort of honesty deserves a photo and address of his shop.
Hi prsdrat,

You know you're right. Next time I change some bucks I'll take a pic of his money exchange place, find out his name and give the GPS waypoint so anyone traveling through Medellin can give him some business.

Great idea.

Saludos,
Juan Cambio
Old 11-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #3020
sgoetz628
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
John, I'm new to your thread, having read just the first 25 pages so far. Wonderful report! Now I'm wondering how much Spanish you knew when you started out last year or on your first trip south.

I'm thinking about a trip a year from now and so bought one of those at-home courses. I can't imagine going down there without some ability to communicate, and not just about finding where the bathroom is.

Thanks,

Steve

Not much to report today. I have been studying Spanish all day. Found www.duolingo.com and couldn't stop. They game-ified language learning and once I started I kept having to get more points and level up. As a result my brain is mush this evening.

Saludos,
Juan Español Estudiante[/QUOTE]
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:39 PM   #3021
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Holding out!

Hey, why do you keep holding out on us? Once in a while you barely mention the lovely chicas, but you rarely post pics! Come on, give a little!

Chiriqui Charlie screwed with this post 11-06-2013 at 05:23 PM
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #3022
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoetz628 View Post
John, I'm new to your thread, having read just the first 25 pages so far. Wonderful report! Now I'm wondering how much Spanish you knew when you started out last year or on your first trip south.

I'm thinking about a trip a year from now and so bought one of those at-home courses. I can't imagine going down there without some ability to communicate, and not just about finding where the bathroom is.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve,

I wish I knew more Spanish. 40 years ago when I first started heading down to Mexico, I knew nothing and got by with sign language and writing numbers down. Now, I know more, but let's face it, every country has their own slang and the people talk fast and loose. The longer you hang around, the more you absorb. I'm having fun with www.duolingo.com but even if you have very little Spanish comprehension it's still fun to travel south of the border and you can get by. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I always think I'm going to study Spanish when I get home, but I never do. Which is why I have to travel to Latin America so much. I learn more here in a week than I do in 6 months back home.

Saludos,
Juan Estudiante
Old 11-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #3023
sgoetz628
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Thanks Jon. That's what other people have said here, but I don't know. I spent a few days in the countryside around Mexico City two years ago and it killed me that I couldn't communicate well. But regardless, I think you're right. When the time comes, will just head off and hope for the best.

Thanks again. And great report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Steve,

I wish I knew more Spanish. 40 years ago when I first started heading down to Mexico, I knew nothing and got by with sign language and writing numbers down. Now, I know more, but let's face it, every country has their own slang and the people talk fast and loose. The longer you hang around, the more you absorb. I'm having fun with www.duolingo.com but even if you have very little Spanish comprehension it's still fun to travel south of the border and you can get by. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I always think I'm going to study Spanish when I get home, but I never do. Which is why I have to travel to Latin America so much. I learn more here in a week than I do in 6 months back home.

Saludos,
Juan Estudiante
sgoetz628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #3024
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiriqui Charlie View Post
Hey, why do you keep holding out on us? Once in a while you barely mention the lovely chicas, but you rarely post pics and never talk about your adventures! Come on, give a little!
Hi CC,

Now that you mention it I do have a new girlfriend ever since I moved down to the basement to my own private room. She is awesome. Understands Spanish perfectly, but never talks back. Looks after me and makes sure I'm safe. Originally from Germany, so your wife would love her. Let's see if I can get a picture of her.

Her name is Missy. The sweetest girlfriend you can imagine. And as an added benefit, she guards the stairs all night to make sure nobody comes down to interrupt my sleep:

She only requires occasional water and feeding:

Alas, her heart belongs to Al. When she hears the sound of that Akropovic exhaust on his KTM in the morning when he rides down from his place she starts spinning in circles with excitement. Can't say I blame her. It does sound pretty awesome.

But of course, you mean beautiful Colombian women, I imagine. I will do my best to include plenty of pics for your viewing pleasure.

You ADVpal,
Juanito
Old 11-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #3025
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoetz628 View Post
Thanks Jon. That's what other people have said here, but I don't know. I spent a few days in the countryside around Mexico City two years ago and it killed me that I couldn't communicate well. But regardless, I think you're right. When the time comes, will just head off and hope for the best.

Thanks again. And great report!
You are correct, the more Spanish you can speak, the more comfortable you will feel. But I can speak very little, and I am almost deaf so I hear and understand almost nothing, yet I can almost always communicate what is necessary, and I can almost always manage to find what I am looking for. So don't let it deter you!
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #3026
Gordon and Toni
Easy Livin

Oddometer: 384
After Market Tank

John what tank do you have on the Sherpa ?

2009 HD Road King from Ohio to Alaska and back..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933871
Gordon and Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:34 PM   #3027
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon and Toni View Post
John what tank do you have on the Sherpa ?
Hi Gordon,

I adapted a 4 gallon aftermarket Clarke tank from a Honda XR650.

http://justgastanks.com/index.php?cP...eb8f024b753990

I followed instructions from a fellow rider on the Super Sherpa thread over in the Thumpers section.

Saludos,
Juan Tanque
Old 11-08-2013, 03:50 AM   #3028
Gordon and Toni
Easy Livin

Oddometer: 384
Thumb

John

Thanks for the info on the tank....

2009 HD Road King from Ohio to Alaska and back..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933871
Gordon and Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #3029
QdE RedBaron
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Hi Don Juan,
Silently following your adventures since the beginning. No words than you-are-great!

I found something about Desierto de Tatacoa from ADV riders on 2010
http://where-is-g.blogspot.it/2010/1...sierto-de.html

Always beside you! Keep on running
QdE RedBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #3030
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

I have to tell you about an amazing team effort I got to be a part of involving ADVriders from far and wide yesterday.

I got a PM from Trespalacios. Yes, the same Trespalacios that pointed me to his Dad's garage last year when my Sherpa front end was smashed. Anyway, it turns out that Dustdog, AKA Ramon, originally from Uruguay but recently from an island in the Carribean called Bonaire had a dead Honda Africa Twin and was seeking help getting it fixed. He broke down 39 kilometers from Medellin and had gotten a truck to haul his bike to Casa Kiwi, which it turns out is only two blocks from where I'm staying. So I go over and see if he's there. Nope. So I leave a message to meet me at Al's Shamrock and he shows up a while later. He's on a tight time schedule with 4 days until his vehicle permit expires. My small part in this was to reassure him that everything would work out and not to worry. Here is my new ADVpal Ramon:

Al called his personal mechanic Richard who works on his Norton 850 Commando and it turned out that Richard was able to work all day yesterday sorting out a fried regulator, dead fuel pump and battery. I think the fuel pump came off an old Teneré on advice from another ADVrider. And the battery had to be adapted. But in the end Ramon worked alongside Richard all day yesterday and had the bike fixed and left this morning,

Ramon's brother José is leaving Montivideo Uruguay on his Transalp today and meeting Ramon in Cusco Peru.

Anyway, just a quick story with a happy ending. You meet the nicest people when your bike breaks down.

Saludos,
Juan Periodista