Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #3046
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
Juanito!

Your braking problems appear to be with the new rotor not matching the caliper.

Look at the contact patch on the rotor. You probably only have 1/4 to 1/2 the pad actually contacting the rotor. A larger rotor is required (if possible) - [ after looking closer it looks like the outer ring may NOT be contacting and rust?? ]

Either way, something isn't lining up there...
Hi Shibby!

Exactamente! You are very observant. The problem arises from the fact that I needed to get the bike running last spring using the junkyard parts at hand. The results were not perfect but it got me riding and down the road for thousands of miles. And believe me I could ride the bike for thousands more even though it's not the best.

One thing I have learned is that when an ADVrider looks at my bike and points out something that isn't right and rolls their eyes it is like a sign. So I will fix it. I don't want to be in the bad graces of the ADVgoddess. Her punishment is swift.

All kidding aside though, I dropped by the moto shop this morning on my way to pick up paint at the Colombian equivalent of Home Depot and Richard had disassembled the front end and is finding a better brake rotor. The guy is a mechanical genius. I am very fortunate to have Al looking out for me down here in Colombia. I sat around and chatted with Richard for a while and bought him some coffee and pastries from a passing vendor. He's a really nice guy. And yes, a good front brake es muy importante en Colombia.

I'll take pics of the final repair.

In the meantime I will sit in the shade drinking rich Colombian coffee (good to the last drop), studying Spanish and watching the world go by.

Saludos,
Juan Valdez

JDowns screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 07:00 PM
Old 11-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #3047
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 785
Damn

Stop screwing around-get a damn job Hippie
Old 11-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #3048
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

It is interesting to watch the ADVriders who pass through Medellin. The last few I have met have been riding like their hair’s on fire. I remember back when I had limited time and rode like that. I got a PM from another Guatemalan ADVrider that is having electrical problems. He should be here day after tomorrow. Should be fun.
Al's mecanico pal Richard is the man to fix all that ails you here in Medellin. I think he might be busy this winter.

On another note, since the Sherpa is at the shop, I got a chance to ride in taxis today. Mind you, I drove a cab at night when I was in college. So these boys are my colegas (colleagues). Medellin taxistas also ride like their hair’s on fire. Pretty fun really. And I understood everything they were saying today. Credit that to www.duolingo.com.

I am up to level 10 on this gaming Spanish language site, and it is a hoot. The nice thing about it is that I can put an earpiece in my ear and listen to the robotic Spanish and it is exactly as difficult to understand as Colombiano taxi drivers. Pardon my French but conjugating Spanish verbs sucks. But I am like a bulldog. I will study relentlessly. It is amazing how much more I can comprehend in just a week.

Saludos,
Juan Linguista

JDowns screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 09:05 PM
Old 11-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #3049
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead View Post
Stop screwing around-get a damn job Hippie
Just a sidenote to let you know that Al is Scottish. If you haven't been to Scotland or don't appreciate Scottish dry humor you are missing out. Let me just say that Scots are somewhat like rotweillers. If you are a good person, nothing to worry about. If not, God help you.

Two of the best breeds in my book. My advice is to stay on their good sides though. I know I always have. Probably why I like them. Maybe it's my Celtic/Germanic heritage. I don't know.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #3050
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
. Pardon my French but conjugating Spanish verbs sucks.

Saludos,
Juan Linguista
I asked my Spanish instructor why I couldn't just use the word without conjugating, they'd figure it out & know what I meant. She said "sure they would but, they'd look at you funny!"

Keep it up!

perro de trineo
Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #3051
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
I asked my Spanish instructor why I couldn't just use the word without conjugating, they'd figure it out & know what I meant. She said "sure they would but, they'd look at you funny!"

Keep it up!

perro de trineo
Hola Sleddog (or perro de trineo en espaŮol),

Using the verb infinitive works to get your meaning across.
Who cares what people think? As one Kiwi told me years ago: "It's not like you're going to ever see that bloke again in this lifetime."

And I never have.

Saludos,
El Perro de Medellin
Old 11-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #3052
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Hi Shibby!

One thing I have learned is that when an ADVrider looks at my bike and points out something that isn't right and rolls their eyes it is like a sign. So I will fix it. I don't want to be in the bad graces of the ADVgoddess. Her punishment is swift.
I wasn't rolling my eyes at it. Just pointing it out. I know the improtantce of front brakes while traveling and was looking at the picture after you mentioned it in a post.

I'm one to fully understand that you have to do what you have to do.

Quote:

As far as clothing goes, you'd be surprised how butt freezing cold it is up in the mountains of Mexico at night and in the mornings in December. It's not uncommon for there to be ice in the shady corners on the Espinoza del Diablo in the middle of Winter until the noonday sun melts it off. I remember freezing my ass off in Creel as well up at the top of Copper Canyon in the middle of winter years ago. If you are leaving from Joshua Tree, my advice would be to stick to the coast route down by the Pacific where it is warmer. I have long underwear to wear under my jeans and riding pants up in the higher elevations. And a down vest that stuffs down to nothing that puffs up and really keeps me warm under my riding jacket. I needed it in the Mexican mountains in the mornings, as well as upper elevation Guatemala and the mountain passes in Costa Rica. Not to mention the high mountain riding up over 13,000 feet here in Colombia. It's only maybe in the 40's but that is awfully cold when it starts raining.

Very much true! Lots of single digit riding for me when I was down there. Even saw snow while leaving Copper Canyon area heading back to the coast to warm up. That morning (sleeping on a river bottom) my tent and bike were full of frost. Speaking of snow, we've rode 4-8 inches of snow in Baja before too.... at midnight. Brrr.

It gets COLD up there, but you always know you are a day or two ride from a coast. By no means is the cold a reason to skip the high altitude riding. It's flipping fantastic riding. Best riding I've had in my life by far.

The city's and towns generally have weather I like. Cool and crisp in the morning, warming to a comfortable temp in the sun with long pants and a t-shirt with light over jacket, or long sleeve / hoodie type top. The coast heat gets to me just the same as the ultra cold. It's an awesome feeling knowing you can control the weather with where you go!

I wish I was in Colombia enjoying the cool mornings with a stiff coffee in the morning checking ADVrider updates and people watching every morning. I'd be 100% happy... Afternoon scoots on a bike would be the cherry on top.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #3053
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 687
Juanito, disfrutando el "puente"?

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
Old 11-18-2013, 02:15 PM   #3054
Fortyniene
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Sweet, another winter of riding with JDowns. Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #3055
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Travel is a wonderful thing. It takes you out of your element and forces you to adapt to new environments. It brings self confidence and an appreciation for humanity and all the different ways people make their way through the world. Patience, tolerance and an easy smile will serve you well. I have learned that It is possible to make people laugh around the world with only a toddlers grasp of their language.

Speaking of toddlers, I met the cutest little girl at the cafe the other day. She was maybe three years old with her Grandmother over at another table, but insisted on running over and jumping in my lap to give me a big hug. Then proceeded to grab sugars off all the other tables and bring them over to pour in my coffee. Her name was Celeste, and she was definitely like a celestial angel with an infectious smile and giggle. She also found time to run over to the pastry counter and grab some pastries wrapped in celophane which she brought back for me. What a dear. She was about on the same level of conversational Spanish as me, and is one of the nicest Colombians I have met so far. Albert took a picture of her sitting on my lap and Iíll post it up as soon as he emails it to me.

People ask me why I ride and where Iím going. I donít spend a lot of time trying to figure out why I feel compelled to ride to far off lands or spend time in some places and not others. Some things just are. Itís what I enjoy. Who knows why? I donít like recommending long distance travel to others. It can be like living in a dream world. I love it. But who knows? Others may not adapt to it as easily. It can be gruelling at times. The uncertainty of the road. Never knowing how things will turn out. You have to be mentally tough. I think those that choose to ride to the ends of the earth canít help themselves. It is like the river that doesnít have a choice but to flow to the sea.

Just a brief postcard from the edge as I wait for the Sherpa which is still at the shop down the way getting an odometer, and better front brake.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 11-20-2013, 11:56 AM   #3056
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 831
Hola de Florida! My apology for not giving a proper farewell and I think you can understand why? She was hot, wasnt she? Hehe

I'll paypal you some funds later on when you are back on the road and reporting to us advriders.

Oh yeah , if you get a chance, please tell Andrea my apology for not giving her a proper farewell too and if she want my contact info to keep in touch as a friend, I'd like that. I'll PM you my email addy if she want it.

Until next time!
-Ken
Old 11-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #3057
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post
Hola de Florida! My apology for not giving a proper farewell and I think you can understand why? She was hot, wasnt she? Hehe

I'll paypal you some funds later on when you are back on the road and reporting to us advriders.

Oh yeah , if you get a chance, please tell Andrea my apology for not giving her a proper farewell too and if she want my contact info to keep in touch as a friend, I'd like that. I'll PM you my email addy if she want it.

Until next time!
-Ken
Hi Ken,

Glad you made it back safely. It was nice meeting you. I look forward to visiting in North Carolina next year if you're around. I will let Andrea know your contact info.

As I type this I am taking a short break from my continuing Spanish education which right now entails singing with Blanca the laundress in Spanish as she hangs up wet clothes to dry. Thank goodness there's wifi so I can look up the lyrics on translate.google.com in between verses.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Cantante
Old 11-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #3058
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

As promised, here is my favorite Colombiana, Celeste, getting ready to pour the fifth packet of sugar in my morning coffee:

One of the nice things about Colombia is how warm the people are. The fact that a grandmother would let her grandaughter jump in a scruffy old bikers lap says it all. This doesnít happen back where I come from. Nothing brings a smile to your face like a hug from a little angel. And yes, that was the sweetest coffee I have ever had.

Across the street was another sweet vision:

í57 copper Chevy convertible in mint condition.

more laterÖ.

Saludos
Juan Abuelo del Šngel
Old 11-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #3059
Outjustout
Spokey Dokey

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
It is interesting to watch the ADVriders who pass through Medellin. The last few I have met have been riding like their hairís on fire. I remember back when I had limited time and rode like that.
Hi John, I've been catching up on your post for a while. I like the slower pace this year. I prefer the travel a couple of days, say a while pace myself. It's not always an option but when you can make it work, it's mighty nice.

Scott
Old 11-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #3060
pyrotyro
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Inspiring trip!

Hey John!

I stumbled across your trip report while searching the web for information for a trip south I am planning with 2 friends of mine. The detail of your posts have been incredibly helpful, we found the details on the ruins in Mexico really great and informative! Also seeing how cheap you have been traveling is really reassuring.

I have spent the last week reading the whole trip and just caught up, and I have really enjoyed the story! It has been awesome getting to know you and hearing about all the great stuff that CA and SA has to offer.

Safe travels, and I hope to bump into you out there someday!
Closed Thread