Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 06:35 PM   #3061
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outjustout View Post
Hi John, I've been catching up on your post for a while. I like the slower pace this year. I prefer the travel a couple of days, say a while pace myself. It's not always an option but when you can make it work, it's mighty nice.

Scott
Hi Scott,

I'm with you there. This trip I am taking my time and enjoying myself. What's the rush? Although today Albert informed me that he is buying a Dodge Ram to outfit for taking people on tours around Colombia. Which means he may need to ride to Quito and sell one of his KTMs to help finance his new purchase. I'll gladly be his wingman.

And let me tell you there is nothing more exciting than the thought of following a former London dispatch rider hauling ass on a 950 Adventure through the mountains of Colombia. Talk about Mutt and Jeff. I think the Sherpa would love it. Not sure about my right wrist though.

Of course, this is all theoretical at this point. We'll see.

Oh, and glad to have you following along.

Your ADVpal,
Tio Juanito
Old 11-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #3062
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotyro View Post
Hey John!

I stumbled across your trip report while searching the web for information for a trip south I am planning with 2 friends of mine. The detail of your posts have been incredibly helpful, we found the details on the ruins in Mexico really great and informative! Also seeing how cheap you have been traveling is really reassuring.

I have spent the last week reading the whole trip and just caught up, and I have really enjoyed the story! It has been awesome getting to know you and hearing about all the great stuff that CA and SA has to offer.

Safe travels, and I hope to bump into you out there someday!
Hi pyrotyro,

I see this is your first post so just let me say, welcome to the asylum. Glad to have you along for the ride. Being a neophyte pyro, I like your handle. I can still hear the sound of the M-80 my cousins and I put in my uncle's garbage can 50 years ago in Nebraska back when grade school kids could still buy the good stuff. Ruh-roh. At least the lid survived. Okay, it was on the roof. Amazing I still have all my fingers. The best place for fireworks was definitely in Hawaii. I still remember putting the grass fire out after we fired off a dragon. I remember thinking what a bummer it would be if I burned my house down. Here is a video of what it looks like in the daytime. It doesn't really do it justice since it's not dark, they stop the video before it hits the exploding head, there's no way to appreciate the thunderous roar on a youtube video and you can't feel the vibration in your chest. Of course ours was only maybe a quarter the size of this behemoth. You can't believe the pile of red chinese firecracker paper in the street the next morning :

So glad you have found this ride report of use. It is my sincere desire to get more people out traveling by providing ideas for keeping your costs down.

And yes, I hope to see you down the road someday amigo.

Saludos,
Juan Pirotécnico

JDowns screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 11:11 PM
Old 11-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #3063
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
Ahh, the hallmark of a really great ride report - people signing up just to post in it. Love it.

Welcome to the forums and I hope you stick around pyrotyro! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #3064
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
My first post on advrider was in the Mobius ride report... and I'm still following the adventures of Dr. Rock and LDF.

Which reminds me, I need to get around to tring the artichoke recipe they gave me.

Old 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #3065
pyrotyro
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Ahh, the hallmark of a really great ride report - people signing up just to post in it. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Isn't that the truth. I am always humbled when folks feel free to post in this ride report for the first time. It means a lot.

I know I was a lurker for many years back in the early days of ADVrider before signing up. At a certain point you can't help it. I just tried to check what my first post was back in 2005, but my post history only goes back 500 posts, so I can't really say whose ride report I had to chime in on. It must have been good though. Of course there have been some killer ride reports on ADVrider, so who knows.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I am normally a lurker, I have gotten really good at picking knowledge off the internet. But I was really moved by this story and wanted to share!

And I knew I would need to become a member, because I haven't found a better place online for moto adventures! At first the idea of a trip that huge (like measuring it in months instead of days) was really hard for me to wrap my head around, and I consider myself a huge adventurist! But the more I read about them and hear the stories the more my mind is put at ease, and the more intrigued I become.

I have been infected!

Keep it up John, I look forward to the next stage of your adventure!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #3066
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post

Isn't that the truth. I am always humbled when folks feel free to post in this ride report for the first time. It means a lot.

I know I was a lurker for many years back in the early days of ADVrider before signing up. At a certain point you can't help it. I just tried to check what my first post was back in 2005, but my post history only goes back 500 posts, so I can't really say whose ride report I had to chime in on. It must have been good though. Of course there have been some killer ride reports on ADVrider, so who knows.

Saludos,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 11-20-2013 at 11:59 PM
Old 11-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #3067
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Thanks for the warm welcomes! I am normally a lurker, I have gotten really good at picking knowledge off the internet. But I was really moved by this story and wanted to share!

And I knew I would need to become a member, because I haven't found a better place online for moto adventures! At first the idea of a trip that huge (like measuring it in months instead of days) was really hard for me to wrap my head around, and I consider myself a huge adventurist! But the more I read about them and hear the stories the more my mind is put at ease, and the more intrigued I become.

I have been infected!

I warn you, it's a slippery slope. Before you know it, you'll be riding to the ends of the earth wondering what took you so long.

Your ADVpal,
Juan Infectado

JDowns screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 06:38 AM
Old 11-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #3068
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:

I have been infected!

***Off topic***

If you're around the Gunnison area, head up to Crested Butte and tell Fletch to get this s*** together and let us know how he's doing. I was to stop and visit his dad and friends on my CDT ride but time was not on our side. He returned home (under bad circumstances) but has yet to post updates. Rumour has it he is in part ownership of a club.

Either way, check him out (wheresfletch.com) or his ride report here. He went to the tip and back with his fair share of troubles. He'd be a good guy to get details off of over a pint or two.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Old 11-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #3069
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

What a great night here in Medellin. It was an all star cast of ADVriders that congregated this evening.

Here is DRRambler from Edmonton on the right along with Eran from Israel who he met on the road today:

His ride report is at:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...914229&page=24

And let me tell you David is a great guy. It is sweet thing to see an ADVrider from Edmonton Alberta in shorts and a tee shirt in November. I checked the weather and it is -14 degrees and snowing back at his hacienda in Canada. No wonder he’s smiling.

And how about steelhorsenyc. Here he is with his new riding companion who he met today:

What a hoot! Tell me that isn’t the most adorable travel couple you’ve ever met! Imagine meeting a fourth generation Zimbabwean girl who thinks traveling on a bike is the cat’s meow. So much fun hanging out with my new Russian nephew Alexander and his African savanah travel buddy Valerie.

His ride report is coming along nicely at:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=925753&page=4

And not only were there a half dozen ADVriders hanging out in the warm evening air, but who shows up but our two favorite Colombian guest house owners. Mike from the Casa Blanca Hostel in Cali was in town and Al from the Shamrock in Medellin dropped by. Here is a blurry pic with Mike on the left and an ADVflippin’ Al on the right:

All in all a great evening, meeting fellow riders and shootin’ the breeze. It’s the people you meet on the road that bring a smile back when you’re home remembering the dreamtime of long distance travel.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 11-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #3070
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Earlier this evening I met Sean, an Austalian who works in a copper mine in Mauritania Africa for 5 weeks repairing mining equipment and has three weeks off which he spends in Medellin with his girlfriend Diana. If you saw Diana you’d know why he flies half way around the world every month.

This evenings theme song comes from the first cut on this video:

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 11-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #3071
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

You might think you can keep up with Colombian kids on 125s up in the mountains. I have followed these little mosquitoes and let me tell these kids can ride:

Old 11-22-2013, 05:02 AM   #3072
GRinCR
Oppressed Nomad

Oddometer: 321
Never will a “No Fear” sticker be more fitting.

South of the border driving summed up at 3:05. Four wide on a two lane road.

Saludos .
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
"My father taught me to work; he did not teach me to love it." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #3073
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 686
Sheeez! Those mosquitoes remind me of my misspent youth on the
old Suzuki X6 Hustler. How did we survive?

Keep it coming Juan. Great stuff.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #3074
boatbkr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
For some reason I cannot play the videos . I even downloaded the new player
Old 11-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #3075
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbkr View Post
For some reason I cannot play the videos . I even downloaded the new player
Hi boatbkr,

Here's the link to that last video of some Colombian kids on 125s tearing it up in the hills around Manizales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdmkxN0nu4I#t=157

Mind you, if you want to stay alive riding down here this is probably not what you want to do. Leaning into a blind left on the centerline, over-riding your brakes ability to stop you quickly is a good way to smack a wide swinging bus or the idiot passing the odd oncoming truck on a curve. And tennis shoes and a tee shirt isn't the best protection when you're asphalt surfing.

That said, when these little macho boogers fly by on a curve it is only natural to twist your right wrist down hard. Probably best to control that instinct if you want to continue riding into your 60's. Not to mention if you want to make it to 30.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 01:00 PM
Closed Thread