Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #3091
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
The weld job on the caliper mounts looks a treat, John. And the price was right. Now the ride can continue. :)
Old 11-26-2013, 12:45 PM   #3092
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Is Venezuela in your plans?

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #3093
bdogone1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Your sooo laid back this time around. I love it! You should just hang out there and ride. How do the "locals" feel about the gringos with their " hot Colombian girlfriends"? Any animosity?

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT
bdogone1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #3094
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Nice work on the Sherpa!
I majored in Foosball in College, I was known as machine gun Cran!
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #3095
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogone1 View Post
How do the "locals" feel about the gringos with their " hot Colombian girlfriends"? Any animosity?
Plenty of beautiful girls in Medellin, locals are not keeping up. Ride there and take your pick.

Juanito, I find it amazing that you would leave the comfort El Poblado offers to gringo tourists and expats, go on a maniac lane-splitting mission across the city to go say Hi to my dad. We both appreciate it.

He said your improvement with Spanish is enormous and wanted me to tell you that you personify the true adventurer, able to get immersed in the local culture.

FYI, he calls you Juan Sin Miedo

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:54 PM   #3096
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdogone1 View Post
Your sooo laid back this time around. I love it! You should just hang out there and ride. How do the "locals" feel about the gringos with their " hot Colombian girlfriends"? Any animosity?

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT
Not really any animosity I have seen. Anywhere you go in the world where there are beautiful relatively poor young women looking to get ahead in life, there will be rich old dudes chasing after them. Whether it's Thailand, Colombia or back home. I would say it seems more socially acceptable for old gringos to have young beautiful girlfriends half their age down here than back in the States I suppose.

Not that these old dudes care what anybody thinks I reckon. I did sit down and chat with a couple of them the other night and all they could talk about was the women they were making it with. Kind of boring after a while really. Showing me pics on their smart phones. But hey, whatever floats your boat. And to be honest, it's not much different than all the rich older doctors and CEOs that I used to work for with their trophy wives that had replaced the first wife who got them through med school.

Too bad there aren't more women closer to my age who love travel, camping and motorcycles. I would take that over a young Colombiana with a mother who wants to move in with you and needs some money to go buy some high heels and get her nails done.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
Old 11-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #3097
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Plenty of beautiful girls in Medellin, locals are not keeping up. Ride there and take your pick.

Juanito, I find it amazing that you would leave the comfort El Poblado offers to gringo tourists and expats, go on a maniac lane-splitting mission across the city to go say Hi to my dad. We both appreciate it.

He said your improvement with Spanish is enormous and wanted me to tell you that you personify the true adventurer, able to get immersed in the local culture.

FYI, he calls you Juan Sin Miedo
What a fun morning I had visiting your Dad!

Here he is on the Sherpa:

He looked great as always. I hope I’m half as healthy as he is when I’m 70. I took off at 8 this morning and rode around in rush hour traffic for a good two hours before heading back for coffee and people watching at the cafe and up to Alberts place to do some decorative textured painting on his back wall.

There is nothing more fun than slicing through traffic with the scooter girls in their stiletto high heels. It really is like a carnival ride. I find that the best way to familiarise yourself with a huge Latin metropolis is to just take off and ride around and see if you can find your way home using your moto intuition. I had to go visit Orlando, my patron saint who so graciously helped me fix the Sherpa last January when I first arrived. I had a vague recollection of where he lived. I remembered it was near La Floresta metro station. It is always like Christmas when you find your way across town and actually end up somewhere you intended. Medellin is HUGE and the sheer number of arterials splitting off and merging filled with traffic is mind boggling. You have to ride aggressively and defensively at the same time. Fluid motions with eyes on the rear view mirrors and no sudden lane changes to piss off the Ducati coming up fast on the right between you and the dump truck. Ease around the taxi with the 10 foot long baseboards angling out the back window flapping wildly as the fare he picked up at the lumber yard is holding on for dear life in the back seat. Never pass a bus or taxi on the right since they are always pulling over suddenly to pick up fares at the curb. A quick left and right to avoid the 8 foot ladder sticking out of the car window 4 feet. Maybe this doesn't sound like fun to everyone. But I love it.

Later on I ran down to the KTM shop to give Albert his keys. His header had cracked on the Norton where it joins the muffler and he had to drop it off to have Richard fix it good as new. I took off and before you know it Albert is zooming by me splitting lanes like the dispatch rider he still is. Truth be told I split lanes up to the light until there was a cripple begging for money in the way and that’s when Albert made his move and zoomed around me as the cripple dove for cover. Norton Commandos sound better from behind anyway. What a sweet sounding bike. It is no easy feat keeping up with Albert in Medellin traffic.

Saludos,
Juan Sin Miedo
Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #3098
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Nice work on the Sherpa!
I majored in Foosball in College, I was known as machine gun Cran!
Hey machine gun,

I actually took that foosball table apart and fixed it last year. Pretty simple machine really, but it takes a pounding.
Foosball is a foreign concept down here, but Latin Americans are fun to watch once they get the hang of it. AY CARRUMBA! MIERDA! PUTA!

Pretty funny really.

Saludos,
Juan Foosbola
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #3099
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Is Venezuela in your plans?

Later
John
Plans? What plans?

But yes, not too many people traveling to Venezuela these days. People say it's dangerous so of course I'll have to go check it out. First I have to get out of town. Maybe later this week. What minimalist can pass up a country with black market currency rate of 60 Bolivianos to the dollar and gas for 10 cents a gallon. I imagine I'll find friendly people in the countryside where I prefer to ride. And the Gran Sabana area sounds like magic. I have to check out the Orinoco river and see what Enya was singing about. (I think she lives in Ireland and just liked the sound of the name but I'll let you know if it's magical and filled with beautiful mermaids or brown and muddy.)

Saludos,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 11-26-2013 at 06:05 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #3100
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
Sherpa's front as new now... So now Johnnie be good and do some riding to let us forget about coming winter
Old 11-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #3101
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,117
Happy Thanksgiving to you, J.D.

You tell a great story, thanks for the words and pictures.

TrashCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #3102
NNS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Sherpa's front as new now... So now Johnnie be good and do some riding to let us forget about coming winter
Good one Mario..
Juanito es bueno has been in Medellin for almost 30 days now..
No living man has been known to leave Medellin's magic spell voluntarily after being there that long..
Can't blame him can we?
I am afraid that we are going to have to use our "imagination and pretend" to get us through the long, dark, cold days of the winter ahead..
Yours in misery,
North Nechako Slim
NNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #3103
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
Hi mario33.

I'm getting' out of town any day now. Medellin is an awfully nice town and I have been here for a while. Unfortunately I met a masseuse tonight who needed some work done on her apartment. What can I do? She wanted to do a work exchange for some improvements on her new place. So I'll meet her tomorrow morning and buff out her apartment for a massage. And no, she is young enough to be my daughter, so I don't even want a massage, just help her out. She is coming over tomorrow morning to pick me up and go down to pick up some materials. When beautiful young women ask me to fix up their place I can't say no. It is a weakness I have. Pictures to follow mañana.

Saludos,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 11-27-2013 at 08:48 PM
Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #3104
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to you, J.D.

You tell a great story, thanks for the words and pictures.

Hi TrashCan,

Glad to have you following along. And thanks for the kind wishes. I actually didn't know it was Thanksgiving, but now that you mention it, late November, Thursday, oh yeah, it's a holiday. Well not in Colombia mind you, but I will be giving thanks tomorrow for the blessing of having the time to enjoy South America at a casual pace.

Saludos,
Juan Agradecido
Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #3105
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNS View Post
Good one Mario..
Juanito es bueno has been in Medellin for almost 30 days now..
No living man has been known to leave Medellin's magic spell voluntarily after being there that long..
Can't blame him can we?
I am afraid that we are going to have to use our "imagination and pretend" to get us through the long, dark, cold days of the winter ahead..
Yours in misery,
North Nechako Slim

Hey Slim,

I remember North Nechako foods up in Prince George. It was fooking cold the last time I passed through your neck of the woods on my way over to Jasper and the Icefield Parkway. British Colombians in the winter need their winter ride report fix. I will do my best to entertain you for the next few months amigo.

Glad to have you along.

Saludos,
Juan Colombia

JDowns screwed with this post 11-29-2013 at 08:36 PM