Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2012, 09:42 AM   #301
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
Premex stations are your Casa de cambios They are perfect place to break the big ones and have lots of money.
Yeah but when you break a $500 there, watch the guy's hands, carefully, then count your change. Some of those guys are really quick.

On another note, Trice must be re-thinking his offer to work for me for a little while, so maybe I wont get to meet you in Mexico after all.

Buen viaje Juanito!

crashmaster screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 10:54 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #302
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
After breakfast finally headed across the border this morning.

QUE BUENO!!!!! is all I can say. From this:

To way more interesting streets filled with people and food vendors and cool stuff you only see in Mexico like this:

Now you're talkin'!! I've been away too long. Was smiling riding down the street. This is my kind of country.

Wrong turn down a one way avenida. No problema. Just hop the curb cut across the dirt median and drop down onto the right side and continua.
The curbs here are a foot tall so no problem to hop up on the sidewalk on a little dirt bike when you want to park in front of an internet cafe and park to catch some wifi.

It was muy tranquillo at the border after paying the 3.00 toll crossing the Pharr bridge and coasting up to the main border entry:

No one but me in the aduana parking lot:

Paid this nice lady 1.00 for copies and she filled out the paperwork for me and the bike after I filled out the migracion form with the pen they gave me:

Mi novia de la frontera:

Then over to aduana to have my paperwork checked by el jefe:

and back over to migracion to get my tourist card. Then it was out the salida (exit) and derecha (right) down half a kilometer to the Casa de Cambio (money changer) to get some pesos:

I had PM'd Arte who lives in Reynosa and he got back to me with a phone number so I stopped at a shop and beautiful Claudia dialed the local number for me no charge. This is Claudia:

She was so sweet and polite. Muy caliente as well. Viva Mexico!!

Anyway Arte's number didn't go through so I wandered around town enjoying the traffic splitting lanes and riding with the motos. Finally saw an internet place and paid 14 pesos to use their wifi where I see that Arte is going to meet me at 6:30 at the main Cathedrale entrada and take me home for steaks and beverages with a place to camp for the night.

So I get to jet around Reynosa for three hours seeing the sights! And snap interesting pics for your viewing pleasure and somehow find the Cathedrale Catholique in el centro. Should be fun!

Que bueno!

Su amigo de aventura,
Juanito

JDowns screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 02:57 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #303
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,218
John. Enjoyed spending time with you. Such as it was. Random snippets are better than nothing. Be sure to pm me when your travels get you anywhere near Centex. Love to actually sit and chat about your adventures.

(And , yeah. About the rather dusty Rally Run to the Ribs at RTB3......uhhhh....just so ya know, I never volunteered to be "ride leader". And nobody at all sane would have ever suggested I lead a ride of mixed riders. Not a good i-dee at all. So we can all blame it on ghost. Still. I hope you had fun.)

Safe travels. the slowoldguy

slowoldguy screwed with this post 11-01-2012 at 03:03 PM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #304
Arte
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,533
Coronas and grill steak are on me John!!

Welcome to MEXICO!!!

Arte

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Finally headed across the border this morning.

QUE BUENO!!!!! is all I can say. From this:

To way more interesting streets filled with people and food vendors and cool stuff you only see in Mexico like this:

Now you're talkin'!! I've been away too long. Was smiling riding down the street. This is my kind of country.

Wrong turn down a one way avenida. No problem. Just hop the curb cut across the dirt median and drop down onto the right side and continua.
The curbs here are a foot tall so no problem to hop up on the sidewalk on a little dirt bike when you want to park in front of an internet cafe and park to catch some wifi.

It was muy tranquillo at the border after paying the 3.00 toll crossing the Pharr bridge and coasting up to the main border entry:

No one but me in the aduana parking lot:

Paid this nice lady 1.00 for copies and she filled out the paperwork for me and the bike after I filled out the migration form with the pen they gave me:

Mi novia de la frontera:

Then over to aduana to have my paperwork checked by el jefe:

and over to migration to get my tourist card. Then it was out the salida (exit) and derecha (right) down half a kilometer to the Casa de Cambio (money changer) to get some pesos:

I had PM'd Arte who lives in Reynosa and he got back to me with a phone number so I stopped at a shop and beautiful Claudia dialed the local number for me no charge. This is Claudia:

She was so sweet and polite. Muy caliente as well. Viva Mexico!!

Anyway Arte's number didn't go through so I wandered around town enjoying the traffic splitting lanes and riding with the motos. Finally saw an internet place that is letting me use their wifi where I see that Arte is going to meet me at 6:30 at the main Cathedrale entrada and take me home for steaks and beverages with a place to camp for the night.

So I get to jet around Reynosa for three hours seeing the sights! And snap pics of interesting sights for your viewing pleasure and somehow find the Cathedrale Catholique in el centro. Should be fun!

Que bueno!

Su amigo de aventura,
Juanito

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #305
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,435
Wassup with the Reynosa chicitas with black and white hair!? Are badgers popular this season?
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #306
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
John. Enjoyed spending time with you. Such as it was. Random snippets are better than nothing. Be sure to pm me when your travels get you anywhere near Centex. Love to actually sit and chat about your adventures.

(And , yeah. About the rather dusty Rally Run to the Ribs at RTB3......uhhhh....just so ya know, I never volunteered to be "ride leader". And nobody at all sane would have ever suggested I lead a ride of mixed riders. Not a good i-dee at all. So we can all blame it on ghost. Still. I hope you had fun.)

Hi slowoldguy,

You were an excellent ride leader in my book. I had too much fun on your ride. I will drop by for a visit next time I am in Centex area.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 11-01-2012, 06:19 PM   #307
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,218
Hey. I didn't lose you, did I? ;)

Have a ball down south.
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #308
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Cal,

Yes there was a metric ton of prairie Provincial license plates in the Walmart parking lot this afternoon.

And don't get me wrong, these retirees from the northern plains and the Canadian prairie are salt of the earth, honest, and good people most of whom have worked their butts off all their lives.

It's just not my idea of a good time.

Cheers,
John Downs
Yeah, but it is their idea of a good time, and there's nothing wrong with that. The local economy in the Valley needs and appreciates their contribution. Besides we don't want all those snowbirds cluttering up Mexico, do we ?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #309
alekkas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
I am loving the pacing of this ride. Well done sir! Looking forward to more.

Why do I keep thinking I'm gonna wind up in a love / hate relationship with a Guzzi?
alekkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #310
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Rode around Reynosa taking in the sights this afternoon. Hanging out is a way of life down here so I fit right in:

I'm sitting on the steps of this Reynosa Cathedrale at the bottom of this rather modern belltower waiting for Arte to drop by when he gets off work:

In the U.S. it would be called vagrancy. I'm not sure how long you could sit around as a traveler before being asked to move along. As long as you're moving you're golden in the U.S. but just sitting on the steps of a church watching the world go by is frowned upon. Not here. I like it.

Lots of open air vendors:

Music playing, the smell of street food, folks milling around. Nice.

Plaza central has a whimsical bandstand with nice wrought iron:

It turns out Dia de los Muertos (day of the dead) holiday is tomorrow. So the action is heating up in the cemeteries:

Arte showed up after work and I followed him home. He has a moto alcove for working on his bike right off the dining room. Nice:

Here is El Rey de la Parilla (the king of the bbq) himself:

Had a nice evening meeting his wonderful family and eating delicious BBQ steak, salchicha and cebolla washed down with a coke in a glass bottle. The real coke. Not the stuff in cans from home.

Look forward to a great day of riding tomorrow heading somewhere in Mexico. Not sure where yet, but you'll know soon after I do.

Arte camps in Mexico and gave me pointers. I will let you know how it goes camping in the mountains. Should be fun.

Arte would like to ride to Alaska. I told him to write a ride report and start a paypal campaign to kickstart his dream. I am all in on funding a ride for mi amigo de Reynosa and hope he drops by Nebraska on the way home so I can return his hospitality.

I spent 3.00 crossing the bridge, 1.00 for photocopies, 14 pesos for internet access, and 22.57 for a tourist card. Not sure how much aduana is for the bike until I get to Guatemala and they return the deposit. So at .08¢ to the peso at the current exchange rate that comes to 27.69 for today plus whatever the bike charge ends up being.

Mas mañana,
Su amigo de aventura, Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 05:04 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #311
Kedgi
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Getting Closer

Hi John

I'm catching up. I spent last night in Port Arthur Texas after a wonderful ride along the Southwest Coat of Louisiana. Hope to see you soon.

I feel like we're a lot closer to meeting than we were when you were in Nebraska and i was in New Brunswick

Kedgi

(Dwight)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #312
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
Subscribed!

I'm really enjoying your ride report. Small donation sent.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #313
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
And nobody at all sane would have ever suggested I lead a ride of mixed riders. Not a good i-dee at all. So we can all blame it on ghost. Still. I hope you had fun.)

For the record I told everyone who asked that you were leaving at two and they could follow... if they could keep up. Apparently no one believed the quantifier.

John, it was great to meet you at the rally. Safe travels and there's free camping on the Brazos River for you if you ever want it.
veriest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #314
Enprize
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Camping coordinates

Hi, can you post the GPS coordinates of your camping sites?
Old 11-02-2012, 12:20 PM   #315
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hi John

I'm catching up. I spent last night in Port Arthur Texas after a wonderful ride along the Southwest Coat of Louisiana. Hope to see you soon.

I feel like we're a lot closer to meeting than we were when you were in Nebraska and i was in New Brunswick

Kedgi

(Dwight)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832336
Hi Dwight,

You'll catch up to me no problema. Look forward to meeting you.

Best,
John Downs