Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #3181
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
1 x 6. Uh- huh. Yeah. That's gonna happen. Jeebus. lol. It's times like those that separate the truly adventurous from us pretenders. Keep it coming.
It's been said you'll never wish for a bigger heavier bike on a long trip. Only a smaller lighter one.

That "bridge" must embody such a statement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #3182
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 574
JD just put the Awesome in 6th gear
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #3183
edjo69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk62cj5 View Post
JD just put the Awesome in 6th gear
JD, for ever adorned the Sherpa with a Crown of world travel domination! This Sherpa is the bike that went through more adventurous adventure travel situations than any other bike known to man!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #3184
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,550
So I’m house sitting here in Jardin on a rather large country estate kind of place today. It’s just me and the dogs. The small one’s name is Juanito surprisingly enough. I have been teaching my new buddy how to relax and not take life too seriously. So far he is responding well to my voice commands. "Juanito, relajarse!":

I walked into town down the way for some lunch earlier. The trail passes over a rushing stream that is babbling over the boulders:

The colonial houses are quite distinct around here with lots of nice carved woodwork on the raised panel doors, grills, fretwork, shutters and balconies:

The local catholic church is made of hand hewn limestone and is quite nicely done:

It is Saturday so there were plenty of families enjoying the central plaza. Quite good coffee at LosAndes Cafe near the church.

more later….

JDowns screwed with this post 12-07-2013 at 11:25 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #3185
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
So does this mean your on the road again?
adventurebound9517 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #3186
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
So does this mean your on the road again?
See what you did? Now I can't get this song out of my head:

Saludos,
Juanee Nelson
Old 12-07-2013, 01:46 PM   #3187
George 99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
♫♫...the life I love is making MILES with my friends...♫♫
Old 12-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #3188
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by George 99 View Post
♫♫...the life I love is making MILES with my friends...♫♫
Hey George,

That's what I'm talkin' about. It's the ADVriders that you meet on the road that you'll never forget. I don't know what it is. But when you meet a fellow ADVridrer in bumfuck who has been through what you've been through, I don't care where you are or who you are, it's like you have a new sibling. Hard to describe, but I think you know what I'm talkin'' about.

Saludos,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 04:18 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #3189
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Took off from Jardin this morning and headed out in the opposite direction through towns with names like Andes, Hispania and Bolombolo. The road followed the Rio San Juan Canyon. Another muddy boiling Colombian mountain river that looks like it would be a ton of fun to raft down:

through coffee country that reminded me of riding through the macadamia nut orchards and coffee farms in Hawaii around Christmas when they were blooming and filling the air with a sweet scent. The little star shaped flowers on the coffee will each be red beans ready to pick in a few months:

Right after I stopped to take a pic of this distinctive looking wedge shaped mountain I stopped taking pictures:

since I ran into my new Colombian riding buddies. From left to right that’s Hernando, Lennin, Santiago and the other Santiago. Really nice guys who were out for a spirited Sunday ride. With the emphasis on spirited:

they were all on bigger bikes so I was cranking the Sherpa pretty hard. Weaving around traffic down the twisty road to Medellin. Here we stopped for a photo at a gas station. The Sherpa is obscured by the GS:

Really nice guys. It was super fun riding with them but from here we all split up and went our seperate ways. Hernando has a moto shop just down the street in Poblado and told me to drop by any time if I need to work on the Sherpa so that was nice.

more later……
Old 12-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #3190
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Oddometer: 634
Given your fantastic report and adventure proneness, I'll throw out there my dream tour of Colombia. It has been restricted to the areas you haven't ridden yet. It can be broken into different loops and adjust it as needed

My Chromebook doesn't paste maps in here for some reason (If somebody here knows how to do it using Chrome OS, please PM me) so here's the link:

http://goo.gl/upv2n6

I know it is pretty ambitious and it has areas that I've never been to, like the eastern plains (Llanos Orientales). It keeps you in Colombia, yet it brings you to the border with Ecuador and closer to Venezuela. It'd be helpful to PM your favorite Oakie ADVrider for good information on the route, lodging, etc. I think that because he has so much info he can't finish his RR

Antioquia, tierra de mis amores
Some trail riding stories
trespalacios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #3191
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Right after I stopped to take a pic of this distinctive looking wedge shaped mountain I stopped taking pictures:

more later……
I believe it is called Cerro Tusa

Old 12-09-2013, 07:06 PM   #3192
WhicheverAnyWayCan
Deaf Biker

Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by trespalacios View Post
Given your fantastic report and adventure proneness, I'll throw out there my dream tour of Colombia. It has been restricted to the areas you haven't ridden yet. It can be broken into different loops and adjust it as needed

My Chromebook doesn't paste maps in here for some reason (If somebody here knows how to do it using Chrome OS, please PM me) so here's the link:

http://goo.gl/upv2n6

I know it is pretty ambitious and it has areas that I've never been to, like the eastern plains (Llanos Orientales). It keeps you in Colombia, yet it brings you to the border with Ecuador and closer to Venezuela. It'd be helpful to PM your favorite Oakie ADVrider for good information on the route, lodging, etc. I think that because he has so much info he can't finish his RR

I have to agree with this tour.. I'd also suggest few northern routes.. I am returning back to Colombia in Feb after a short 2 weeks stint last month. My current plan is to fly in and look for a cheapest 125cc-200cc bike I can find for less than $1,000 and then ride up north to tour Cartagena then stop by Barranquilla for the carnival before heading out to the northeast and check out Cabe de la Vela as I was told it is really very beautiful out there.. then it's south from this point.

Feb and March is 'dry' season so hopefully I'll have a nice ride! And I will have two months to explore!
WhicheverAnyWayCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 PM   #3193
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post

I have to agree with this tour.. I'd also suggest few northern routes.. I am returning back to Colombia in Feb after a short 2 weeks stint last month. My current plan is to fly in and look for a cheapest 125cc-200cc bike I can find for less than $1,000 and then ride up north to tour Cartagena then stop by Barranquilla for the carnival before heading out to the northeast and check out Cabe de la Vela as I was told it is really very beautiful out there.. then it's south from this point.

Feb and March is 'dry' season so hopefully I'll have a nice ride! And I will have two months to explore!
Hi Ken,

That does look like a fun route that trespalacios has come up with. Thanks for uploading the pic. I was thinking of going over to Venezuela to renew my bike permit shortly but Ecuador would work as well. Depending on the weather I guess.

Look forward to seeing you next year amigo. A mighty 125 is quite a change from your Harley or that GS12 you were on last month. Little bikes are plenty fun in the Colombian mountains though,

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 12-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #3194
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhicheverAnyWayCan View Post

Do you guys have fresh info regarding the safety of the Neiva - Pitalito - Mocoa - Pasto road? I was planning on maybe taking this route in January on my way to Ecuador but was told by some in Bogotá that the presence of FARC has increased a lot in the that area in the last year.... Not sure if it's actually true or just what a bunch of city dwellers say after seeing the news, but having logged more than 30.000 kms on Colombian roads in the last 5 years, I've learnt it never hurts to have fresh intel. I know for a fact the road to the Venezuelan border through Arauca (which I took two years ago) is saddly a dangerous one again, so I'm wondering if this is the case with this less traveled route to the Ecuadorian border.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #3195
trespalacios
Oh libertad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Do you guys have fresh info regarding the safety of the Neiva - Pitalito - Mocoa - Pasto road? I was planning on maybe taking this route in January on my way to Ecuador but was told by some in Bogotá that the presence of FARC has increased a lot in the that area in the last year.... Not sure if it's actually true or just what a bunch of city dwellers say after seeing the news, but having logged more than 30.000 kms on Colombian roads in the last 5 years, I've learnt it never hurts to have fresh intel. I know for a fact the road to the Venezuelan border through Arauca (which I took two years ago) is saddly a dangerous one again, so I'm wondering if this is the case with this less traveled route to the Ecuadorian border.
I talked this morning with an army sargent whom I served with more than 20 years ago
He said he wouldn't recommend the foreign posse expedition of GS12 but he thinks a low profile ride should be no problem. He did say though to check in each town before getting on the road to the next. Apparently the Pitalito- Neiva section is good. Common sense dictates de ride.