Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 12:45 PM   #3256
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
But you know me. As Bob Dylan so astutely sang, “I don’t want a pickle, just wanna ride my motorsickle”

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Good point! But you may have pissed off Arlo Guthrie[/QUOTE]

Oh my God! What have I done. Okay, I'm going to correct my mistake right now. Thanks amigo,

Your ADVpal,
Juanito Guthrie
Old 12-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #3257
Leo.G
Is still learning

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hi Leo.G,

I will definitely PM you when I get to Argentina. Not sure when I'll get there at the rate I'm going, but Argentina is not to be missed.

Saludos,
Tio Juan
No problem, I'm more or less in the middle of the country, province of Córdoba..
But when you come, we'll see what we can do!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #3258
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Got quite a nice Christmas present this afternoon from my friend Hektoglider. Nothing brings holiday cheer to a recuperating KL250 riders heart more than a shot of Santa's Sherpa elf bike on the northern Ontario backroads:

Thanks Kari! It brought a smile to my face.

Saludos,
Juan Navidad
Old 12-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #3259
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,431
sorry to hear about your hurt shoulder ... rest easy and heal.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #3260
WizardSkills
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Thumb

Excellent ride report, you're an inspiration for us minimalists!
WizardSkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:29 PM   #3261
riverman
Life is great !

Oddometer: 147
I don't post often but yours is a ride report that I look forward to reading each day. You have a great outlook on life, and by sharing your philosophy through your actions and writing this report, you enrich our lives. Thank you!

Merry Christmas John, from your virtual friends here in cold New Brunswick. Heal fast my friend and keep doing what you're doing.

'11 WR250R
'13 Tiger 800XC
riverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #3262
RidingAgin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Good point! But you may have pissed off Arlo Guthrie
Oh my God! What have I done. Okay, I'm going to correct my mistake right now. Thanks amigo,

Your ADVpal,
Juanito Guthrie[/QUOTE]

LOL. Seeing this reminded me another part of the song when coming down the mountain there is a decision of going into the mountain or off the side of the mountain. I had such a noob adv revelation one day while in the Olympic mountains on my big GS. I honestly decided going into the mountain was the better decision. I never laid the 12GS down, but came very close.

Heal quick my amigo Juanito!

Dennis
Old 12-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #3263
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Travel setbacks make for great future stories around the campfire later in life. It’s important to keep these things in perspective. It builds character. It started early in life for me when I was a teenager and decided to take off hitch-hiking for the summer before college. I didn’t have a destination in mind, but rather thought it would be a fun way to see the country. I started out with a couple hundred bucks and decided to see how far I could get before I ran out of money. North to Canada sounded good and after a couple days ended up in a youth hostel in Nelson, British Columbia. I met a nice guy who said he had a ride the next day with a trucker who was getting his tire repaired at the gas station, so we went down and threw our backpacks in the semi’s open trailer and went out partying all night. Of course when we got up in the morning and went back to the truck it was gone. The trucker had paid for his tire repair with a credit card so the gas station owner gave us his name and my new best friend remembered him saying he lived in Trail, BC. So we took off hitch-hiking all day and through the night until we got to Trail at first light. We looked the truckers name up in the public phone book to find his address and headed over to his house. Nobody was up but the truck was there. Halelujah! I doubt if the trucker even knew our backpacks were in the open top trailer. But we were ecstatic. We climbed up into the back of the truck and sure enough, there were our backpacks. We felt like Sherlock Holmes and Watson.

I headed out alone from Trail and kept getting picked up by people who were going to the first Rainbow Festival in Grand Junction, Colorado. First it was a ride in a hippy bus full of pot smokers. Then when the bus broke down it was the back of a pickup truck up into the Rockies. These hip dudes were saying it was going to be like Woodstock with music and bands. But it ended up being up in the middle of the national forest 10 miles up a trail with tipis and conga drums all night. Who knew? I ended up attending the very first Rainbow Festival just by chance. After two weeks of wild times it was time to head south. Ended up getting a ride to Jerome, Arizona which at the time was an abandoned mining town full of hippies. After a couple weeks wandering around the area and low on money, ended up hitch-hiking into Phoenix and getting a ride with some other wandering hippies that were out of money and looking to go to Manpower to get some day labor. Sounded good to me. Plus one of them had parents who were out of town for two weeks. So we all piled into her parents posh house with a beautiful view complete with olympic swimming pool and got temp jobs in a battery warehouse sticking labels on batteries. There were 5 of us. It was 120 degrees with no air conditioning in early August by now. We devised a clever plan to catch a train down to Mexico as we spent two weeks sticking labels on batteries and stacking them on pallets. This is when I learned that all batteries are the same. The only difference is the amount of lead and acid. The heavier the battery, the longer the warranty we stuck on the sides. The black ones went to the auto stores and the white ones went to Sears.

Soon we were on a train south of the border with money in our pockets. We slept on the beach in Mazatlan which was a small fishing village back in the early 70’s with just a couple of hotels in town. I remember the big tourist activity was getting a tour of the Corona beer brewery. Free samples. There were bars on the beach open late and I was several Corona’s into the night when a fierce thunderstorm swept in off the Pacific after midnight and poured down so hard that the thatched roof was leaking buckets of rain. I got so soaked that I decided it would make sense to just go swimming in the ocean, as one does when drunk and drenched on a Mexican beach after midnight.

The next morning when I woke up, I discovered that all my pesos that I had stuffed in my front pocket had floated away while I was swimming in the ocean the previous night. OOPS. Some lucky Mexican beachcomber was a hundred bucks richer. I on the other hand was now penniless. Fortunately I still had my wallet with my return train ticket in my back pocket. With no money, thousands of miles from home and a Spanish vocabulary of a toddler that didn't go much further than baño and cerveza, I figured it was time to head to the train station and try to make my way north. I must say I have a greater deal of compassion for illegal aliens than most Americans as a result. It's no easy feat making it to the border on a shoestring with no food. I knew from my Outward Bound survival school training the previous summer that I could go 3 days without eating no problem. The Mexican trains in those days had wooden seats and stopped at every Pueblo along the way until after an eternity arrived at Nogales. Walked across the border with no food, no money and a couple thousand miles to go. The people who picked me up were very kind and after a day I had five dollars and had been treated to a couple burgers. I caught a ride across Arizona and through the Mohave desert in the back of some Navajo Indian’s pickup. It was 120º in the shade and like a blast furnace in the back of the pickup. I didn’t have any water, so when we stopped in Needles I think I drank a gallon. Finally got to Bakersfield at night and the Indians dropped me off at the railyard and told me how to jump the fence and catch a freight train north. While I have read "A Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy," there is not, to my knowledge a hitchhikers guide to the Bakersfield rail yard. There were so many trains in the massive yard that I couldn’t tell which one to jump on or which one was going to move so finally ended up sleeping in the shrubs and decided to go back to hitch-hiking in the morning. Got a ride to the Pacific the next day and headed up 101. Caught a great ride that took me up the sunny coast in a Triumph TR3. All the way up Highway 1 to Big Sur where I spent the night at another beautiful home overlooking the ocean. After another couple days made it back home to Oregon.

That was forty years ago, and I haven’t gone swimming in the ocean fully clothed with money in my pockets since. But it did teach me not to worry when your travel plans go sideways. Also if you have no fixed destination you can’t ruin your plans with an unexpected twist of fate. Just go with it. It is all part of the adventure. Things always have a way of working out.

Saludos,
Juan Viajero

JDowns screwed with this post 12-20-2013 at 07:45 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #3264
theturtleshead
Tits on a fish

Oddometer: 775
Dh

Damn hippies!
theturtleshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #3265
mario33
Howling around...

Oddometer: 145
That was quite a story, JD :-) Winter just got a bit warmer... you should write a book about your travels past and present. Name it "how to... travel cheap..." or better still "my life and other travels" and it would catch attention. I would buy it sure thing !

What I do like about your way of travelling... or living... is that you manage to stay independent. You certainly like to travel alone, at your own pace. No probs with travelling in company but travelling alone is best :-) Just like lone wolf. Just like me.

Saludos Johnnie. Dont get your nads in a crack anymore ;-)

mario33 screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 11:29 PM
mario33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:39 PM   #3266
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theturtleshead View Post
Damn hippies!
Or as I like to say:

Dayum!!!!!!!

Hippies!!!!!

Your pal,
Johnny

JDowns screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 11:57 PM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #3267
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post
That was quite a story, JD :-) Winter just got a bit warmer... you should write a book about your travels past and present. Name it "how to... travel cheap..." or better still "my life and other travels" and it would catch attention. I would buy it sure thing !

What I do like about your way of travelling... or living... is that you manage to stay independent. You certainly like to travel alone, at your own pace. No probs with travelling in company but travelling alone is best :-) Just like lone wolf. Just like me.

Great idea mario33 and another great story John.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #3268
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
Good on you John, maybe you should be signing off as;

"Juanito el trotamundos"

Feliz Navidad!
Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #3269
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario33 View Post

Hi Mario33,

When I am old and can no longer ride I will be sure to write a book of my travels sitting in my rocking chair. In the meantime these ride reports with brief flashbacks will have to do.

My main desire is to get people imagining and out on the road. What Franklin Roosevelt said eighty years ago still stands today. "There is nothing to fear but fear itself."

No matter how dire the situation, there is always a creative solution to your problems when traveling. People will go out of their way to help a traveler around the world in every country I have visited.

Saludos,
Tio Juanito
Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM   #3270
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
Good on you John, maybe you should be signing off as;

"Juanito el trotamundos"

Feliz Navidad!
Hi prsdrat,