Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #316
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
I'm really enjoying your ride report. Small donation sent.
Hi SavannahCapt,

Welcome aboard! Our cruise will be leaving the port of Linares shortly on the S.S. Sherpa.

As your purser, I will be stowing your donation in a safe place below deck. Look for your name on the side of the ship right under craftsmanjoc.

Steady as she goes,
John Downs
Old 11-02-2012, 12:26 PM   #317
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
For the record I told everyone who asked that you were leaving at two and they could follow... if they could keep up. Apparently no one believed the quantifier.

John, it was great to meet you at the rally. Safe travels and there's free camping on the Brazos River for you if you ever want it.
Hi veriest1,

Thanks for the kind offer. Texas hospitality will be well remembered. I'll be back. Nice meeting you.

Best,
John Downs
Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #318
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enprize View Post
Hi, can you post the GPS coordinates of your camping sites?
Hi Enprize,

I have been posting the GPS waypoints of the places I camp. When I stay at someone's house I can't out of respect for their privacy.

I have been staying at peoples houses to visit for the last few days but should be camping in the Mexican Sierras if I ever leave the town square where I'm sitting picking up free wifi and I get there today.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #319
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Left Reynosa at dawn this morning and doubled back to the flower market next to the cemetery. Everyone was decorating up the place for Dia de los Muertos. Mexican equivalent of Memorial Day in the U.S :

They blocked off the street and set up flower stalls:

And folks are decorating up a storm:

I parked behind the transit cop car and enjoyed the sunrise as people streamed through on their way to work:

Then it was off. Best to head west in the morning with the sun to your back and luckily that was a reasonable direction. A hundred miles or so of straight roads heading through mesquite and brown grass rolling hills off to the horizon:

until things started to green up and irrigated Orange groves began to appear:

and slowly the Sierra Madre mountains appeared out ot the haze far off in the distance:

I stopped a couple of times to fill up with gas:

And water:

Bottled water is 15 pesos a liter. So I am filling up at Pemex and purifying my own. If you don't need to save two or three bucks a day, I suggest you buy bottled water or other beverages. It is available everywhere.

When you're riding through the desert for mile after mile the most interesting sights start to become the traffic signs like no passing:

The speed limit is in kph. Since a kilometer is .6 of a mile just multiply by 6 and move the decimal over to the left one place. In this case 110 x 6 = 660 or 66.0 mph:

Or for distance 82 x 6 = 492 or 49.2 miles to wherever this road is going:

I couldn't pass up this pic pointing to Crashmaster, my patron saint. Apparently according to the sign he is up in the sky in a 747 heading over to Berlin to meet his novia Fredericke:

I am headed towards the gap in those mountains in the distance:

But currently am in the town square at Linares where this artist is making a nice chalk drawing on the stone terrace probably for day of the dead celebrations later tonight:

In fact now that I think about it I might want to stick around for the festivities.

Nah. I think the mountains are calling.

More later….

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 07:43 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #320
Strave19
n00b savant

Oddometer: 77
Sounds like a great start

I'm finally all caught up, even though I should be working! Looks like a great trip so far. I'm really liking the style and the detail, especially with costs. As others have said, all that info really helps others with planning for future trips. This first leg makes me realize that there is so much to see in our own back yard that I have not seen, I need to do a trip in the southern US.

Donation has been sent to the fund! Keep on keepin' on.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:09 PM   #321
Arte
Stuck in the 80's

Oddometer: 1,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post

Had a nice evening meeting his wonderful family and eating delicious BBQ steak, salchicha and cebolla washed down with a coke in a glass bottle. The real coke. Not the stuff in cans from home.

Look forward to a great day of riding tomorrow heading somewhere in Mexico. Not sure where yet, but you'll know soon after I do.

Arte camps in Mexico and gave me pointers. I will let you know how it goes camping in the mountains. Should be fun.

Arte would like to ride to Alaska. I told him to write a ride report and start a paypal campaign to kickstart his dream. I am all in on funding a ride for mi amigo de Reynosa and hope he drops by Nebraska on the way home so I can return his hospitality.

I spent 3.00 crossing the bridge, 1.00 for photocopies, 14 pesos for internet access, and 22.57 for a tourist card. Not sure how much aduana is for the bike until I get to Guatemala and they return the deposit. So at .08¢ to the peso at the current exchange rate that comes to 27.69 for today plus whatever the bike charge ends up being.

Mas mañana,
Su amigo de aventura, Juan

Vaya con Dios Amigo...

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #322
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Hello,

I like your attention to detail. I feel like I am riding alone for that simple reason along. Keep up the good work amigo and stay safe out there!!!

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #323
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Vaya con Dios Amigo...
Arte!

Thank you so much for your kind hospitality. I really enjoyed my visit with your family. You are a lucky man!

Muchas gracias,
Su amigo Juan
Old 11-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #324
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

So I headed out of Linares in the late afternoon heading to the mountains. But first had to stop at an OXXO store (pronounced oh-so) to pick up some crackers to go with my Texas sardines for my evening repast. Came out to get on the bike and a dance couple had set up speakers that were blaring salsa music as they danced next to the coke truck in front of the store. I think it was some kind of Coca-cola Day of the Dead promotional stunt type thing. Anyway, they were quite good and I took out my camera and asked if I could take a picture. And the guy assumed I meant get a picture with his hot dance partner. So he took the camera and stood me next to her.

And that my friends is how the Charlie Chaplin tramp posed next to the Coca-cola salsa queen:

Got on the bike and headed out of town on a road that looked like it headed towards the mountains. The Guia Roji Mexican road atlas that Arte so graciously gave me had hwy 31 listed as heading to the mountains from Linares, but the road signs said 58 and it was heading the right direction. I actually saw a couple on what looked like a GS12 coming the other way down the road. But it was late and they must have wanted to get to the party in Linares. Later I thought I should have whipped a uey and chased them down. Then I remembered I was riding a 250 Kawi and realized the folly of that idea.

Getting closer to the promised land:

Shafts of light streaming from the heavens as the sun slowly sinks behind the mountains. The dark thunderheads are off to stage left out of the picture:

and into the canyons climbing up into hairpin heaven:

It's hard to catch the scale of these 2000 foot vertical cliffs. This cliff face rose straight up forever. This is a picture of the first thirty feet:

I stood at the base and bent back and took a shot straight towards the sky to try to get the next 1970 feet rising straight up vertically from the road, but it's hard to appreciate in this picture:

You'll just have to ride down here and see it for yourself.

In today's lesson in navigation in Mexico, please note that street signs are not on posts. Look for them rather high up on building walls at the intersections. In this pic I am taking a left on Cinco de Mayo:

If you open your textbook to page 21 in the Guia Roji I am currently located on page 21 two thirds of the way down near the ring binder.

N 24º 49.681'
W 100º 04.585'

Staying in a nice hotel for 200 pesos (16.00) with hot water showers, free wifi and plenty of Spanish Novellas on TV in the lovely mountain town of Galeana.

The only way for me to keep track of what I spend each day down here is to put 500 pesos in my dummy wallet and count what's left at the end of the day.
Todays total left is 138 so that means I spent 362 pesos on food, gas and lodging. With the bullk of that going to this room I'm staying in. 362 x .08¢ = $28.96.

JDowns screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 09:22 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM   #325
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strave19 View Post
I'm finally all caught up, even though I should be working! Looks like a great trip so far. I'm really liking the style and the detail, especially with costs. As others have said, all that info really helps others with planning for future trips. This first leg makes me realize that there is so much to see in our own back yard that I have not seen, I need to do a trip in the southern US.

Donation has been sent to the fund! Keep on keepin' on.

Hey Sam,

Work is over-rated. Thanks for the donation. I'll write Strave19 on the side of the gas tank.

Can't wait until you take off somewhere fun and I can donate to YOUR ride. I'm telling you, take off now while you're young and able. Girlfriends turn into wives and lives change.

You'll thank me later.

Kindest regards,
John
Old 11-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #326
Merlin III
Mean SOB

Oddometer: 913
John, Looking forward to your camping observations and will have more questions at that time. Thanks.
"I have approximate answers and possible beliefs and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I am not absolutely sure about anything." Richard Feynman, CalTech Scientist, Challenger Disaster Committee member.
Merlin III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #327
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
And that my friends is how the Charlie Chaplin tramp posed next to the Coca-cola salsa queen:

Mexican friend of mine always called beautiful latin ladies "white man's kryptonite"! I'm sure you can understand his point.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:13 PM   #328
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
As you get up in the morning there in Galeana look to the east as the sun starts to catch the face of the Cerro de Labradores, the mountain range that helps form the bowl where the town is located.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #329
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,101
Here's someone's Flickr image of the Cerro de Labradores in Galeana

PS If you have breakfast near the square the nice place is La Casona del General.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #330
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Hi Trice,

Thanks for the tip. I will be posting a shot of those mountains glistening in dawn's early light in tomorrow's episode. Latin American mountains are very photogenic:

Suerte,
Juan