Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #331
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,136
Oohhh. I like Galeana. Cerro Potosi ride nearby is pretty "cobblestoned" but the view is spectacular. Piece of cake on your warhorse kwacker.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 11-02-2012 at 07:50 PM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #332
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,573
Well there you have it. Sunrise shots of Cerro de Labradores, breakfast at La Casona del General, then instead of riding to Rayones on the back road, maybe head to Cerro Potosi and get lost in the rock gardens.

Sounds like a great day to me. I'm in.

Best,
John Downs
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #333
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Over 100 years later it's still true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Got on the bike and headed out of town on a road that looked like it headed towards the mountains. I actually saw a couple on what looked like a GS12 coming the other way down the road. But it was late and they must have wanted to get to the party in Linares. Later I thought I should have whipped a uey and chased them down. Then I remembered I was riding a 250 Kawi and realized the folly of that idea.
Where might you have learned that lesson? Hmmm....

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #334
Bráulio Biker
Brazilian Adventure

Oddometer: 10
Your RR is definetly inspiring me! I have read lots of blogs and sites about South America trips but never found details about how much it costs. Now I know it's possible to travel with a limited budget. Thank you so much.

I stick with you at the minimalist philosophy. In fact I have gone in some trips here in Brazil with my little ( but "muy macho" ) 150 cc Honda and I know for sure that the motor size isn't something that can prohibit you to travel.

Unfortunatly I can not offer a gas tank for you (at this moment, at least), but if you decide to know Brazil's capital, you already have a place to stay.

Boa viagem!
Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #335
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Slept like the dead last night which was appropriate considering the Mexican holiday. This is where I stayed last night:

Hotel Juana Maria one block east and three blocks north of the central square on Diego de Monte Mayor street. Very nice place for 200 pesos I thought. Had a nice chat with Martha (pronounced Marta) the night desk clerk. And these are the steps I hopped to park in the lobby:

Piece of cake on a small dirt bike. And seguro parking behind the couch in the lobby for the night:

It would be a nice place for Trice to stay if he comes down on his Rocket III. That bike would look fantastic parked behind the couch here. Muy macho moto sculpture, could use a skid plate for stair hopping though:

It was hard to decide what to wear this morning but finally chose the Zombie Apocalypse training camp T-shirt from my vast wardrobe and went down to the plaza to see the remains of the festival displays from yesterday:

By the time I walked down to the park the peach and pink sunrise tones were gone from the sky but the mountains Trice mentioned are beautiful this morning off to the east:

And the view off to the east from the bandstand in the town square:

Pictures don't really capture the looming closeness. Everything is serene this morning after a Friday night of festival reveling. Just the birds chirping in the trees and the cathedral across the street catching the morning light:

It's brisk out this morning up in the mountains and nothing is open so time to head back to the office:

and send more pictures and stories from the roads less traveled.

More later….

Kindest regards,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 07:58 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:24 AM   #336
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bráulio Biker View Post
Your RR is definetly inspiring me! I have read lots of blogs and sites about South America trips but never found details about how much it costs. Now I know it's possible to travel with a limited budget. Thank you so much.

I stick with you at the minimalist philosophy. In fact I have gone in some trips here in Brazil with my little ( but "muy macho" ) 150 cc Honda and I know for sure that the motor size isn't something that can prohibit you to travel.

Unfortunatly I can not offer a gas tank for you (at this moment, at least), but if you decide to know Brazil's capital, you already have a place to stay.

Boa viagem!
Hi Bráulio Biker,

Your kind words are better than money. Money comes and goes. Great travel memories last a lifetime.

Best,
John Downs
Old 11-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #337
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Breakfast places don't usually open up until 9 or 10 in the morning. Mexicans eat late evening meals as well. Typically 9 or 10 pm. Sort of like India only there the restaurants don't even open until 9 and if you are starving at 6 you are SOL. Here at least there is street food available at most hours of the day from late morning on.

Went down to the Casona del General Restaurante recommended by Tricepilot. Nice place:

down across from the Iglesia (main church) near the Plaza Centrale. Cute waitress was too shy for a pic so you'll just have to imagine. Nice decor with a Pancho Villa theme. I would fit right in with these hombres from a 100 years ago:

Later I hope to ride up in the mountains and see if any of these guys descendants are still around:

I imagine this is what happens if you marry Miss Coca-cola salsa queen in your later years of life after she's had a few kids and filled out. I'd rather be riding:

Anyway nice historic displays and posters at the restaurant:

Recommended. Although at 64 pesos for coffee and scrambled eggs I think I will be eating out of grocery stores for the rest of the day.

Heading out into the mountains to see if I can find Cerro Potosi that slowoldguy posted a pic of and hopefully get lost. It's nice around here, and I have always been a firm believer in lingering in nice places and jetting through the boring spots. So decided to rent the room here at the lovely Hotel Juana Maria for another night and leave my stuff while I head out riding the backroads this afternoon.

more later…..

Best,
John Downs

JDowns screwed with this post 11-03-2012 at 11:40 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM   #338
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Came back to the hotel and promptly fell asleep. I'm getting into the swing of siesta life. Woke up and dark thunderstorms were sweeping up from the south. Cerro el Potosi will have to wait until tomorrow. Decided to stay in town and enjoy the day, goof off and study Spanish while I have an internet connection. Went shopping for breakfast and lunch tomorrow. Just to give you an idea of what is available for a traveler with no stove:

As far as prices converted to U.S. dollars
Yogurt drink 84˘
Avocado 36˘
yogurt and granola 50˘
sardines $1.08
6 bananas 35˘
cookie/cracker gamesa 48˘

total was a little over 45 pesos or $3.61

Prices are slightly cheaper in large town chain grocery stores than up here in the mountains. But it is always cheaper to eat from stores and roadside taco stands than sit down restaurants if you are traveling on a shoestring budget.

Alas the pictures are not nearly as mouth watering as Ray's Tejas brisket and ribs that I still see in my dreams.

Todays expenses were 397 pesos or 31.76

Best,
John Downs
Old 11-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #339
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,136
Cerro Potosi is not hard to find but the dirt loop that goes Galeana, Rayones, west to Cienaga, Mimbres , Dieciocho de Marzo, Cerro Potosi, back to Dieciocho, back to Galeana is quite doable in a day.

The road up the mountain is rough but not technical, just bone jarring. View is worth it.

Gee. Digging all my maps out makes me want to go back and explore more of Nuevo Leon.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #340
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Cerro Potosi is not hard to find but the dirt loop that goes Galeana, Rayones, west to Cienaga, Mimbres , Dieciocho de Marzo, Cerro Potosi, back to Dieciocho, back to Galeana is quite doable in a day.

The road up the mountain is rough but not technical, just bone jarring. View is worth it.

Gee. Digging all my maps out makes me want to go back and explore more of Nuevo Leon.
Hey Tom,

I appreciate the tips. I might have to ride around this place for a few days and explore. It's a beautiful area. I had never heard of Cerro Potosi before. The lady at the front desk pointed the way west out of town with a bunch of zig-zag motions with her index finger going steadily up in the air. Sounds good to me. As well as the Rayones loop.

I'll report back what I find.

Thanks for the ideas! Appreciate it.
John Downs
Old 11-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #341
shadman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I have an embroidered General's shirt from our waiter in my closet. He has my only "Affliction" shirt in his. Fair trade for some great memories in Galeana.

Heading south from Galeana the village of san francisco in the middle of no-where is the most peaceful place I've ever been on earth. Try to follow the mountains south, between the coastal plains and the cities on the high plains. There is water and mountains and valleys for miles and miles and miles.

Peter
shadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:39 PM   #342
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadman View Post
I have an embroidered General's shirt from our waiter in my closet. He has my only "Affliction" shirt in his. Fair trade for some great memories in Galeana.

Heading south from Galeana the village of san francisco in the middle of no-where is the most peaceful place I've ever been on earth. Try to follow the mountains south, between the coastal plains and the cities on the high plains. There is water and mountains and valleys for miles and miles and miles.

Peter
Hi Shadman,

I'll have to check out San Francisco just to see how it stacks up to the middle of the Sandhills in Nebraska for most peaceful place on earth. Thanks for the idea.

I'm with you on the stay in the mountains south idea. I haven't ever explored the Sierra Gorda area either further south. Used to live in Oregon so visited Baja and the western Sierras and Copper canyon area plenty. But usually headed down the coastal route the few times I headed south from Texas.

It's nice up here. I wonder if your waiter from Galeana wore your tee shirt yesterday for the festivities. Affliction is way Dia de los Muertos :

Anyway, thanks for the idea. Although I may have to cut over to Real de Catorce for a side trip. Never been there either.

Kindest regards,
John Downs
Old 11-04-2012, 02:00 AM   #343
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Cerro Potosi

+1
And near the top, about 500 ft down should be a large patch of hydraulic oil on the 'road' ! The oil seal on my rear shock let go. I pogo stick bounced all the way down and back into Texas as a result!
Tsotsie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:44 AM   #344
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,635
Glad to read you're considering Real de Catorce. Not cheap but worth blowing the budget for a day or two.

I expect you'll surprise me with how cheaply you can do it.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #345
farrell caesar
Seezer

Oddometer: 384
Question mexico trip

I am sitting here....sunday afternoon enjoying your report. Thanks ! This will do till I see my next trip baja unfold. Steed...KLR......DR650.....1150gs