User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 04:15 AM   #3526
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,652
A black SUV passed me and I gave chase. This guy was riding down the curvy road like there was no tomorrow. Passing everything in sight. He would pull away in the straights and I would catch up in the corners. Now mind you, I know in my rational mind that it is estupido to ride with abandon in a third world country. Don’t do it! Well okay, unless you can’t help yourself. Sometimes I can’t help myself. So sue me.

Pretty soon the dark clouds of afternoon Ecuador rainy season appeared. It started sprinkling and I saw a turnoff to Mindo. So I took it. Really nice little rural community out in the sticks. I stopped at a hospedaje that wanted 6 dollars for a single room. Nice. Opened my laptop and the wifi no es funcional. Same thing down the street.

Now I could stealth camp or stay in a cheap place with no wifi, but you guys have been sending me gas money and I have been writing your names on the side of the Sherpa gas tank and it is my duty to report back on a regular basis and keep you entertained this winter. So I sprang for the 30 dollar hotel with functional internet access so I can upload photos and stories from the roads less traveled.

I was sitting here coming back to earth after cranking and banking down the road chasing that freaking black SUV and I heard a familiar sound.

more later….
Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #3527
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,652
So sue me!?
OK, a black SUV running wild on back roads in S.A.? Policia or narcos come to mind. Ya gonna post pics?

I hit your PP.

Ya know. I kinda miss that carving above the headlight. Hope it found a good home. (second cup already)

Best Regards

OldPete screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 06:15 AM
Old 01-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #3528
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

The high pitched sound of a wood planer was echoing off the canyon walls. I’d recognize that sound anywhere. So I walked down the road to the source of the sound and met my new Ecuadorian friend Enrico. Here he is sitting on a pile of freshly milled 1x6 tongue and groove siding:

I did a search on google for the word that would represent the sound of a planer and came up empty. So you’ll just have to imagine EEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR! Once you've heard it you will recognise it anywhere.

I placated Enrico’s dogs and explained that I was a contratista (contractor) y carpintero (carpenter) de Esados Unidos ( from the U.S.)

What a cool dude. He showed me all his tools. Ancient cast iron stuff. Check out his 100 year old tongue and groove shaper attachment to his planer:

And then some loggers drove up with some freshly cut 4x6’s and I helped them unload and stack them in Enricos yard.

The one short logger named Julio explained that he had hand cut the 4x6’s with a chain saw freehand. OH MY GOD! This guy was a stud. We talked chainsaws. Julio was all for the German saws. No Huskies for him.

Well okay, all my chainsaws are Stihl. Alemania for the win. Hey, I like German engineering.

Speaking of Germans, shortly after unloading the lumber from the logging crew, a 6’9” German dude drove up looking for siding. He wanted a different tropical hardwood than what Enrico was milling. Got in his SUV and drove off. This guy was like André the giant. I guess he was retired and living in Ecuador.

Went back to the hotel where I am writing this up. If the weather is nice I’ll head out tomorrow.

Saludos,
Tio Juan

JDowns screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 06:32 AM
Old 01-25-2014, 05:34 AM   #3529
MikeS
For sure let's do it

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
The high pitched sound of a wood planer was echoing off the canyon walls. I’d recognize that sound anywhere.
Juanito

Thanks for the observations on the wood side of construction. Soy un contratista y carpintero también. I also work in heavy timbers and log, so I appreciate the choice of Stihl for a saw, although Husky and Jonsred are equally good saws. If you remember, point your camera in to some of the log and timber roof framing you are seeing. I enjoy and appreciate that work. Otherwise I'll have to head across the Darien sooner to see for myself.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #3530
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
Juanito

Thanks for the observations on the wood side of construction. Soy un contratista y carpintero también. I also work in heavy timbers and log, so I appreciate the choice of Stihl for a saw, although Husky and Jonsred are equally good saws. If you remember, point your camera in to some of the log and timber roof framing you are seeing. I enjoy and appreciate that work. Otherwise I'll have to head across the Darien sooner to see for myself.

Hey MikeS,

You need to get down here amigo. I need a contratista compadre.

I'll keep uploading pics of construction techniques Latino American style. I can't help myself. I admire the ingenuity of some of these folks.

Latino Americano post and beam and timber roof framing pics coming your way as I find them.

Saludos,
Juan Ingenu

JDowns screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 06:37 AM
Old 01-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #3531
Sleddog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
MikeS wrote; Otherwise I'll have to head across the Darien sooner to see for myself
Mike, good seeing you here You going to CC in March?

John, Glad you're back on the road. Hope to catch up with you when you're back in NE this summer.

Sleddog
Old 01-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #3532
ex_MGB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Speaking of Germans, shortly after unloading the lumber from the logging crew, a 6’9” German dude drove up looking for siding. He wanted a different tropical hardwood than what Enrico was milling. Got in his SUV and drove off. This guy was like André the giant. I guess he was retired and living in Ecuador.
Hello John,

You're up in doomstead country. The superyacht crowd have some of their retreats there for the P.A.W.. Look for dead end roads, odd solid structures and disguised helipads. The real fit black SUV euro guys are operators. Some of the locals are humints.

I spent three years in Iraq/Afghan and flew in and out of BIAP a dozen times and after a bit I could easily spot the operators (who were met at BIAP by the PSD team and given their M4) from the KBR swamp critters at the waiting lounge in Frankfort.

Hey, maybe when the boomers launch, you'll be like the postman in "Lucifer's Hammer". :)

Cheers,
ex_MGB

P.S. - I think the Dutch/deutsch guy wanted you to head for the coast...

ex_MGB screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 07:09 AM
Old 01-25-2014, 07:04 AM   #3533
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
Mike, good seeing you here You going to CC in March?

John, Glad you're back on the road. Hope to catch up with you when you're back in NE this summer.

Sleddog
Hey Sleddog,

You need to head south. It's fookin' cold in South Dakota this week. I will make a point of visiting you when I get back to the northern plains later this year.

Your ADV pal,
Nebraska John
Old 01-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #3534
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPete View Post
So sue me!?
OK, a black SUV running wild on back roads in S.A.? Policia or narcos come to mind. Ya gonna post pics?

I hit your PP.

Ya know. I kinda miss that carving above the headlight. Hope it found a good home. (second cup already)

Best Regards
Hi OldPete,

I wrote your name on the side of the Sherpa tank. Sorry, no pics of high speed pursuit. Too busy keeping the bike on the road.

And yes, I miss the Mayan mask I had zip tied to the number plate last year. I'm in the land of the Inca now. Might have to get an Inca mask for the front of the Sherpa.

Muchas gracias amigo,
Tio Juanito
Old 01-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #3535
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:

I'll keep uploading pics of construction techniques Latino American style. I can't help myself. I admire the ingenuity of some of these folks.
Loving it. Keep it coming.

Next time you're in Texas I may have some stone work for you if you want it.

There's a local guy I could get but id rather fund your riding. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #3536
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
Loving it. Keep it coming.

Next time you're in Texas I may have some stone work for you if you want it.

There's a local guy I could get but id rather fund your riding. ;)

Hi Veriest1,

As soon as I run out of money next spring I'm heading to Texas. Bigdon has first dibs on me, but would be more than happy to build whatever you need while I'm in Texas. Plus an added benefit is that with the friends and family discount I am cheaper than an illegal alien.

Your ADV pal,
Tio Juanito
Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM   #3537
DustDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Back in the Caribbean....not complaining but.....

Hi Juancito: this is Ramón from Uruguay/Bonaire. we met in November in the Shamrock when i was in desperate need of help......and beers. I made it all the way South to Patagonia and now my Camel is resting in Uruguay in my brother's house. I'm back on Bonaire working and enjoying family again. Still working in the ride report:-( I'm still following you and I soon I clear my CC from my South american trip I will drop some bucks for you gas tank and some crazy cold beers. As I told you in Medellin, if you ever need some bike storage, lodging or whatever in Uruguay...you just let me know. I will be more than happy to help you out. Cheers man and keep it up.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:11 PM   #3538
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,445
Quote:
Hi Veriest1,

As soon as I run out of money next spring I'm heading to Texas. Bigdon has first dibs on me, but would be more than happy to build whatever you need while I'm in Texas. Plus an added benefit is that with the friends and family discount I am cheaper than an illegal alien.

Your ADV pal,
Tio Juanito
Sweet. PM incoming.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #3539
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDog View Post
Hi Juancito: this is Ramón from Uruguay/Bonaire. we met in November in the Shamrock when i was in desperate need of help......and beers. I made it all the way South to Patagonia and now my Camel is resting in Uruguay in my brother's house. I'm back on Bonaire working and enjoying family again. Still working in the ride report:-( I'm still following you and I soon I clear my CC from my South american trip I will drop some bucks for you gas tank and some crazy cold beers. As I told you in Medellin, if you ever need some bike storage, lodging or whatever in Uruguay...you just let me know. I will be more than happy to help you out. Cheers man and keep it up.
Dustdog!

Wow! I have such good memories of you amigo! You are like a brother. Okay a nephew. What a fun time we had:

I am so glad that everything worked out with the Africa twin and you made it down to visit familia en Uruguay. I assume you met your brother in Cusco and rode back?

Because Uruguay is the only country that allows a bike to stay for one year, I think I must go down and meet your brother on his place outside Montivideo, I really like the idea of parking my beat up Sherpa next to a sexy Africa twin for six months while I work this summer en estados unidos.

You are one of the good ones Ramón.

Saludos,
Tio Juancito

JDowns screwed with this post 01-25-2014 at 05:46 PM
Old 01-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #3540
DustDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Hey Juancito.....nice to hear from you ....What a great story your bike in jail.....i had a similar situation in Quito and of course I didn't have any insurance. The difference is that I didn't broke any bone and that I cause the accident. Same reaction, get up, fix right away with the other part for 20 U$ and get the hell out of there before police shows up.
Uruguay still gives one year temporary import permit if you request it at the border. Despite I'm a national from Uruguay, I was traveling with a different passport and with a foreign bike. I entry through Fray Bentos which is the southern international bridge between Uruguay and Argentina. Immigration + Customs was a 10 minutes paperwork, very easy. From there to my brother's house in Carmelo (my town) is a quick 150 Km ride. You are welcome anytime. BTW, we are planning to do the very South tip of the continent and South Chile in February/March 2015. It will be cool to see you around there. Cheers