Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM   #3541
DustDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Hey Juancito.....nice to hear from you ....What a great story your bike in jail.....i had a similar situation in Quito and of course I didn't have any insurance. The difference is that I didn't broke any bone and that I cause the accident. Same reaction, get up, fix right away with the other part for 20 U$ and get the hell out of there before police shows up.
Uruguay still gives one year temporary import permit if you request it at the border. Despite I'm a national from Uruguay, I was traveling with a different passport and with a foreign bike. I entry through Fray Bentos which is the southern international bridge between Uruguay and Argentina. Immigration + Customs was a 10 minutes paperwork, very easy. From there to my brother's house in Carmelo (my town) is a quick 150 Km ride. You are welcome anytime. BTW, we are planning to do the very South tip of the continent and South Chile in February/March 2015. It will be cool to see you around there. Cheers
Old 01-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #3542
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddog View Post
Mike, good seeing you here. You going to CC in March?
Yes, CC in March, on a Sherpa no less! With me on a lighter moto, you won't have to worry about that choice whether to run me over on a baby head rock steep uphill climb. I've been lurking here since before Juanito crossed the Darien Gap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDowns View Post
Hey Sleddog, It's fookin' cold in South Dakota this week. Your ADV pal, Nebraska John
And it's cold here just south of the border (in MN), like south of -30F, three or more times this winter. I think Sleddog and I should buy you some pizza in Niobrara next time you are in Nebraska! Niobrara has a lot of significance to riders who travel far. Arlene Liska still lives there, as you probably know.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #3543
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Din MN), like south of -30F, three or more times this winter. I think Sleddog and I should buy you some pizza in Niobrara next time you are in Nebraska! Niobrara has a lot of significance to riders who travel far. Arlene Liska still lives there, as you probably know.

Arlene Liska is a Nebraska legend. Pizza in Niobrara is just up the road from Basset. It is LDR heaven. Look forward to seeing you boys down the road. First pizza is on me. Mind you, not in fookin' January. I'm thinking July or August.
';'

Saludos,
Tio Juancito
Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #3544
Sporkster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Thumb

Just dropping by to say that I've read this from page one. It's nice to see a RR that gives details and tips instead of just went here and there
The pics and description of masonry work is awesome as well.
Sporkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #3545
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,107
What great dreamy riding. Coming from a guy only interested in points north.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:17 AM   #3546
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDog View Post
Hey Juancito.....nice to hear from you ....What a great story your bike in jail.....i had a similar situation in Quito and of course I didn't have any insurance. The difference is that I didn't broke any bone and that I cause the accident. Same reaction, get up, fix right away with the other part for 20 U$ and get the hell out of there before police shows up.
Uruguay still gives one year temporary import permit if you request it at the border. Despite I'm a national from Uruguay, I was traveling with a different passport and with a foreign bike. I entry through Fray Bentos which is the southern international bridge between Uruguay and Argentina. Immigration + Customs was a 10 minutes paperwork, very easy. From there to my brother's house in Carmelo (my town) is a quick 150 Km ride. You are welcome anytime. BTW, we are planning to do the very South tip of the continent and South Chile in February/March 2015. It will be cool to see you around there. Cheers
Hola Ramón,

Sounds good. Trip to the tip in 2015. I will head to Uruguay this spring when my money runs low and park my bike at your brother's house in Carmelo if it is okay with him. Have to go back to the U.S. and work this summer to make more money for South American travel in 2015.

Saludos,
Tio Juancito
Old 01-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #3547
DustDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Hola Ramón,

Sounds good. Trip to the tip in 2015. I will head to Uruguay this spring when my money runs low and park my bike at your brother's house in Carmelo if it is okay with him. Have to go back to the U.S. and work this summer to make more money for South American travel in 2015.

Saludos,
Tio Juancito
No problem at all. I will let him know that you will show up sometime before the southern winter. You don't want to be riding there in the winter anyway. Just let me know a couple of weeks before to pass you his contact info. Cheers and keep riding
Old 01-26-2014, 06:30 PM   #3548
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDog View Post
No problem at all. I will let him know that you will show up sometime before the southern winter. You don't want to be riding there in the winter anyway. Just let me know a couple of weeks before to pass you his contact info. Cheers and keep riding
Sounds good. I'll PM you when I'm two weeks away from Uruguay.

Muchas gracias amigo!
Tio Juancito
Old 01-26-2014, 06:34 PM   #3549
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Currently uploading pictures at the beach in Canoa. From the rainy mountains to sunny tropical beaches in one day. Ecuador has it all. Arrived this evening just in time for sunset:

pics and stories coming later this evening.....
Old 01-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #3550
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

It rained all day yesterday up in the mountains so I spent another night in Mindo. Got up to cloudy foggy morning so decided to head to the beach after the complimentary breakfast. The first 100 kilometers were all downhill through the hairpins and sweeping curves. Really fun riding dropping down to the river valley in the distance:

Crossing the Rio Blanco (white river). The only thing white about this river are the rapids. Would be fun rafting. The rivers were running high and muddy after a day of heavy tropical rain yesterday:

dropped down into the flatlands. Miles and miles of Cacao, palm oil, and banana plantations on the backroads:

most of the houses are similar to this one being built:

Concrete block walls with the front stuccoed and the sides and back left unfinished. Center support wall and 4x6 purloins on 1 meter centers with low sloping corrugated tin roofing nail directly to the purloins with no roof decking. After the cute fincas and farmhouses in rural Colombia, the rural architecture around Ecuador is pretty blah.

but the countryside is beautiful on the back roads.

More coming……

JDowns screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 04:18 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:48 PM   #3551
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

Tried to stick to the backroads today:

Elections next week meant that there were lots of political rallies. This candidate blocked the street with his campaign bus and was giving a speech on the opposite side:

This was the main road out of town that he had totally blocked. I’m voting for his opponent. Oh wait! I’m not Ecuadorian. I ended up riding the wrong way down one way streets to get out of town.

This candidate had spent a ton on lime green campaign tee shirts and banners. There were hundreds of these folks clogging the road in pickups along with a zillion motorcycles with a rider and passenger waving a giant lime green banner:

I’m not voting for the lime green candidate either.

I was glad to make it to the beach finally. Really cute couple watching the sunset with their dog:

Went down the beach and had dinner. This was being cooked up at an open air stand on the sidewalk:

Rice, beef, sort of a potato and garbanzo bean side dish and corn arepa con choclo with a side of some pink flavored drink of some kind. $3.50. This would sell for two dollars in a less touristy place.

I’m staying at the Baloo Hostal on the beach. Private room $10.00. The owner Phil is an Englishman a little older than me. Retired after working in the Ecuadorian oil fields. He’s been here 42 years. Really nice guy who just started building cool funky cabins and making a sort of tropical themed backpacker resort when he retired to Canoa a few years back.

more later……
Old 01-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #3552
JDowns OP
Sounds good, let's go!

This place at the beach in Canoa is located at GPS waypoint:

S 00º 28.005’
W 80º 27.334’

If you copy and paste that waypoint into maps.google.com and zoom in on satellite view you can see exactly where it is. The google map is several years old and there are cabins and palm trees in the empty lot now. I have Fronk the Dutchman to thank for this suggestion.

This place will probably be high rise condos and hotels in another 5 or 10 years. Right now it is still a nice funky beach town. Reminds me of Zipolite beach in southern Oaxaca back in Mexico. It was nice to fall asleep to the distant roar of the Pacific last night. I haven’t seen the Pacific since last summer when I went crabbing in Oregon.

Here is my office this morning on the terrace in front of my room:

and the gated parking area:

I imagine you might like it here. At 10 bucks a night for a private room some of you might get stuck here for a while. I know I’m staying at least another day. After 4 or 500 kilometers wandering around yesterday on backroads, I need balance in my life. This usually involves a hammock.

I picked up this map in Quito at the bookstore for $6.00:

It is called Road Tourist Ecuador. It is in English and Spanish and contains distance charts, tourist sites, explanation of Ecuador traffic signs that sort of thing:

It was suggested to me by the Dutchman. Most bookstores had it in Quito but I imagine it would be hard to find in rural areas. It has fold out maps with all the major roads and some of the minor ones:

. A lot of the minor roads I was on yesterday weren’t on it. And because the roads wind all over the place I had to stop and check my handheld GPS a couple times to see I was heading the wrong direction. But it has served me well the past few days and is compact and easy to tuck in the side pocket of the saddlebag

Reporting live from the beaches of Ecuador,

Saludos,
Juan Playa

JDowns screwed with this post 01-27-2014 at 05:41 AM
JDowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 AM   #3553
ElReyDelSofa
Desubicado

Oddometer: 119
Juanito,

Glad to see you are off the Panamerica in Ecuador. There is so much to see and do and so many make the straight Quito, Banos, Cuenca, Peru trip in 2-3 days. The beaches in the North are very nice this time of year, enjoy. I am envious... I can taste the the Pilsener, a plate of patacones, and some aji now. If you haven't tried it yet, have a bolon (or two) for breakfast, made from plaintains and queso fresco (and a few variants). Que rico...

Wish that I was there in Ecuador as I would love to have you assist in building a wood fired oven at our finca. Sigh, another day.

Enjoy Ecuador, ride safe, mind the sancuches at the beach, they enjoy el sangre extranjero.

Suerte,

Martín
Old 01-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #3554
johnnybgood8
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Nice nice. Keep going!
johnnybgood8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #3555
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
Actually Juancito, you'd be wrong about the epiphytic bromeliads, well the bit about no one else being interested!

Out of the blue as a kid I got an interest in bonsai and its been a lifelong hobby. Over the years I developed an interest in general botany. Couple of the highlights of Radioman's epic RR for me was seeing pics of gunnera "Dinosaur Food Plant" in its native range down in Chile, and the fern trees in New Zealand. Lots of riders riding a lot of places, especially out of the way places end up having pics of odd or unique plants and trees. Fun for me, and they probably don't even realize what they are taking pics of!

If I did ride reports they would have smattering of plant and tree pics with commentary, different topic, but same idea as your photos and comments about stonework.